Ethics and Information in Horary Charts

Arian Maverick

I have some of the same issues with navigating this site as you. The Horary Rules are listed waay at the bottom of the Horary 'section'.

They *used to be* posted at the top of each sub-section in the horary section (if you see what I mean) but for some reason have been mysteriously shunted to the bottom, where even fewer people will read them.

I'm probably not encouraging this thread to get back on-topic by responding to all of these posts, but you all bring up good points, and the bit about the horary rules being more visible should be easily remedied.

But first, can you tell me which thread you are referring to, archergirl? Obviously, the rules are not visible enough if I am having difficulty finding them when I am actively searching :rolleyes:

Arian Maverick

archergirl

Hi AM, Thanks for taking this up.

When you first enter the Forums, you have your list of topics, yes? (Natal, Horary, etc.).

When you click on 'Horary', you then get the whole subset of horary topics.

Now, as far as I can recollect (I am getting quite old so this is difficult.:D ) the 'rules' used to be in a sort of sticky, right below the topic title.

Instead, the sticky is now down on the list *below* the horary subtopics. So 'Relational', 'Career', etc. etc. and then all the way down way below all the titles come the additional stickies on practice charts etc. and somewhere in there is the sticky for the 'rules'.

It would be great if it was put back up right under the title bar for the topic itself. Somewhere like that.

I still have my doubts that people will read it; but at least then we can point to the link more easily.;)

Cheers,
AG:)

Arian Maverick

Hmm...

Unfortunately, I don't think this is as easy to fix as I thought it to be; the only temporary solution I can think of would be to create an anouncement on the main Horary Astrology Board that may or may not be below the list of categories, but should be more visible than a link, nevertheless.

I'm not seeing the list of rules where you described them to be, but Draco seemed to have included them in the thread The Purpose of this Recycle Bin. Unfortunately, Draco hasn't been active on the forums lately, so the Recycle Bin hasn't been used as much as it should be. The Horary Astrology Boards are a job of themselves, so I don't think it would be fair to ask the other moderators to add this to their workload, but perhaps I could make a mental note to move horary threads here that do not meet the basic guidelines. I probably won't get all of them, though, since this seems to be the most popular board in conjunction with--not pun intended--the Natal Astrology Board.

Do the rules posted in the The Purpose of this Recycle Bin. cover the general ones you were referring to? If so, I may be able to copy and paste this message into an announcement.

Perhaps we could also modify the Forum Rules threads Tiim created in various boards that he frequently moderates.

Arian Maverick

Moondance

I have a concern that people of authoritarian personality type should not seek to impose their ethics on others. The most dangerous persons for any community are those that are firmly convinced their view is correct, and should apply to everyone else.

wintersprite1

Premium Member
I am not a web developer by any sense. But would it not be possible when a member clicks on create a new thread that a pop up window shows giving a disclaimer that is similar to what is in the rules? And definitely a reminder that this is a learning forum and the forum, moderators, and other members are not responsible for accuracy, by agreeing to the terms.... blah blah blah... and they have to check off a box before proceeding. Many of us, and I am sure I am amongst the worst, speak in an authoritative way without reminding.. gee, I could be wrong, I am just learning.

TK

archergirl

So long as people are willing to put their personal issues up for scrutiny on a public forum, they are implicitly stating that they are there to receive input from others. What other people say is not the responsibility of the original poster; it is the responsibility of whoever is replying to the thread.

That being said, since no-one is likely to know anyone else 'for real', you have to take what people say with a large dose of salt. There are people who speak authoritatively; there are some people who end every sentence with a 'LOL + smiley'. The problem isn't in the way other people write; it's that people are generally thin-skinned and take everything personally, which, in a virtual world, is a dangerous perspective.

If there is to be a caveat, it should run along the lines of 'Look, you put your information here; expect replies. Don't expect to like or agree with everything people say, and for Pete's sake don't take everything as a personal assault. No name-calling; no personal insults." - Something like that. Of course, people will ignore this caveat willingly if they have some sort of agenda or totally lack objectivity...:rolleyes: There is a point after which, having to tread so carefully in fear of offending someone else, that nothing important can be said. This is kind of why I brought up the topic in the first place. You post on a public forum; you are essentially giving people permission to say things you might not like. End of story.

Moondance

"End of story"? Then what's the point of this thread, so that a single individual gets to define reality for everybody else? I don't think so. But I know better than to engage. Bye.:p

Moulin

I love you all and you are all very talented and have helped me immensely in the past, to which l am extremely grateful.

My 2 cents worth are simply that the question be answered. If l ask "will l buy this car" l don't wanna know that in 2 yrs time it's going to be responsible for my death.

It's delicate though to find a balance and l have total faith that you all will :)

archergirl

"End of story"? Then what's the point of this thread, so that a single individual gets to define reality for everybody else?

Moondance, this is a *debate* thread and therefore we are debating.:rolleyes: That's the whole reason we created the thread in the first place, was to discuss how much information an astrologer comfortably discloses, especially in a deeply personal and possibly painfully private (alliteration, anyone?:p ) situation.

Moulin, you are probably right: what is asked is what should be answered. Some people are desperate for more information than that and usually ask for clarification. Others are truly happy with just a 'yes or no'. Maybe it really should be as cut and dried as that. 'Don't ask; don't volunteer' indeed!:D