Solar Arc Direction

Rosie7

I gather from reading these posts that Solar Arc Directions aren't considered a very reliable method, but I am looking at my bosses chart who, these days, is just bursting at the seams. Today he had a major combustion, one of many in the last two years, and it just seems he cannot control his temper. Transiting Pluto is two degrees approaching squaring his natal mars that occupies his 8th house mercury, venus, sun, and north node aries stellum; T uranus is configuring into this as well, but I also see that his Solar Arc Pluto is exact opposition to his natal 8th house mercury. This seems a fit as he is completely fixated on "his perspective" and just steamrollers over everyone else. Business meetings are extremely unpleasant and his behaviour is escalating. He is in complete denial that he has an anger management problem; he is always yelling in the office but he pulls it together when the CEO is around. His staff are cringing and walking on eggshells around him, but he has no insight. It is because the T Pluto & Uranus are still applying that I am starting to suspect that SA Pluto has been the active trigger over the last year or so. And, it will be getting more intense as all three factors (i.e. SA P, TP, & TU) become exact. If anyone wants to comment, his chart (Inside Wheel), SA Directions (Middle) and today's transit (Outside) are uploaded (all identifying details are omitted).

Attachments

• N SP SA T.jpg
    N SP SA T.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

dr. farr

I consider SA more accurate than Primary Directions, and every bit (at least) as reliable as the various progressions: HOWEVER, I feel that the closely related simple symbolic directions (as outlined by Charles Carter) are even more reliably accurate than SA, and certainly superior (my opinion) to the various progressions.

Zarathu

Account Closed
In my experience it depends on how powerful or how weak your natal Sun is.

I HAVE rarther weak natal Sun, and SAD, areally are kind of sad for me. It never goes any where.

But I have friends who say the are wonerful for them and invariably I look at the Astrodyne picture of their planets and the Sun is in the top three POWER planets.

Frisiangal

Hi Rosie,
Are the outside house cusps those of the birth chart? E.g. 5*GE 56'would be the natal MC? If so, I cannot understand how the SAD MC can have moved backwards to now be at 3*GE28':confused:

You might also like to consider the secondary progressions. S.p.Moon is now working through Aquarius in the 6th house and is picking up on natal Pluto.
Uncontrollable reactionary feelings to that over which he has no personal control? Virgo is a stickler for accuracy and the lunar return has occured.
What have you employees been up to that has aggravated him so much
(Virgo inconjunct Aries stellium)? Or just 'relationship trouble' in general.:wink:

The long-term transits of Jupiter through Pluto are all activating the chart in one way or another. Considering his age, could his position and authority be undermined and he is fearful of a re-structuring that could change his own functioning within his job and his private life?

I agree that the SAD planets can have an effect.
With both Saturn and Uranus rulers of his 6th house, and with so much energy in, and affecting the 8th house, your remark
these days, is just bursting at the seams. Today he had a major combustion,
could be more significant regarding an approaching health issue than might first be suspected.
If not mentioned by others, he will hopefully notice the warning signals himself and act accordingly before it's too late.

Marinka

Solar Arcs can be very accurate but as with anything else, should be used in conjunction with other predictive techniques like progressions and transits to see the whole picture.

Rosie7

Frisiangal Wrote: [/QUOTE]Are the outside house cusps those of the birth chart? E.g. 5*GE 56'would be the natal MC? If so, I cannot understand how the SAD MC can have moved backwards to now be at 3*GE28':confused:
Mmh, because this individual moved from across the globe, I used relocated feature on Solar Fire for the SA chart. I have always wondered if that is correct. So, I have uploaded a quad-wheel but this time, the birth chart (Inner), Sec Prog (middle Inner), and SA (Outer Inner) are set to his birth time location and the transits (Outer) are located to his current lat & long. Let me know if this looks correct.

You might also like to consider the secondary progressions. S.p.Moon is now working through Aquarius in the 6th house and is picking up on natal Pluto.
That is a good point too. It is 2 degrees approaching and by July 2014, it would be exact but that doesn't speak to the past 1 year of generally very bad behaviour. Just to clarify, for any progression SA or Sec Progr, do I just calculate it using the regular birth place coordinates?

(Virgo inconjunct Aries stellium)? Or just 'relationship trouble' in general.:wink:
You know, I have never really given much attention to the inconjuncts but I have always wondered about how this stellum might create some lifelong friction. Do you see this as being a major indicator of having to make all kinds of emotional adjustments with others just to try and get along? Tell me more about that if you feel up to it.

The long-term transits of Jupiter through Pluto are all activating the chart in one way or another. Considering his age, could his position and authority be undermined and he is fearful of a re-structuring that could change his own functioning within his job and his private life?
He is at retirement age (65 years) but is hanging in there and yes, there is major restructuring going on that is effecting the entire organization, and in fact, the funding for our health care system and provision of the specific services we deliver.

With both Saturn and Uranus rulers of his 6th house, and with so much energy in, and affecting the 8th house...could be more significant regarding an approaching health issue than might first be suspected.
Mmh, I did not consider that Saturn is inconjunct his sun and other stellum planets prior to that, and that Uranus (what I interpret as his 6th house ruler) is embarking on major disruptions in his 8th house. That is a good point. Could you tell me a little bit more about how you see that manifesting; any specific health issues?

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this. If the chart I've just uploaded still doesn't look right, then let me know, and I will adjust.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Rosie7

In my experience it depends on how powerful or how weak your natal Sun is.
Hi Zarathu, could you tell me a little bit more about this weak sun business, as I am not really getting the connection, or I guess, the premise behind the SA. I have always pulled out the SA aspects to get a handle on how the outers are impacting the chart and give very little regard to the inners in a SA. Is that not how everyone else is going about it?

Rosie7

Farr wrote:
I feel that the closely related simple symbolic directions (as outlined by Charles Carter) are even more reliably accurate than SA,
Thanks. Can't seem to find that calculation option on my Solar Fire.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Hi Zarathu, could you tell me a little bit more about this weak sun business, as I am not really getting the connection, or I guess, the premise behind the SA. I have always pulled out the SA aspects to get a handle on how the outers are impacting the chart and give very little regard to the inners in a SA. Is that not how everyone else is going about it?

I will PM you this since the forum is probably getting tired of hearing me harping on this intermittent through more than 4000 posts. You can do it in solar Fire, at least in the Gold and up versions, and I think back as far as version 5.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Farr wrote:

Simple symbolic directions are not (to my knowledge) included in the various progression/SA programs generally available; but basic symbolic direction is easy: just advance each planet (or other chart factor you are looking at) one full degree for every 1 year of life (other factors-such as eg 2.5 degrees per year, etc, exist, but the simplest and most commonly applied is the 1 degree per year of life method)

Drsendero

I very recently got Zet 9 Pro and it does have symbolic directions, but they are called "zodiacal directions" in this software. It calculates these by advancing each point 1 degree per year along the ecliptic, and so they are Carter's "symbolic directions." Zet 9 Pro also has something called "equatorial directions" which are almost the same, but in this method each point is advanced 1 degree of equatorial arc per year. I've been exploring both of these with respect to significant events in my life and I see them both as superior to the regular solar arcs, and I'm seeing the equatorial directions as particularly intriguing. I should also mention that Zet offers something it calls "Persian directions" which are the 1 degree = 1 year progressions of the planets but the house cusps stay fixed as they are in the radix.

dr. farr

Thank for the information-glad at least 1 progam uses (what I consider to be these superior) symbolic directions; unless I want to make an investigation of ascendant or MC or a specific house cusp, when I use simple symbolic directions in looking at planets (or planets vis a vis Lots) I keep the house cusps fixed as they are in the radix (which is also what Carter did when looking at specific elements of a chart other than cusps)...

Drsendero

You're welcome, Dr. Farr!

It seems then that Carter's symbolic directions are the "Persian directions" in Zet. The creator of Zet is Russian, so I'm wondering what literature he has access to where these directions are described as "Persian" rather than Carter's "symbolic" (and I have no idea if Carter has been translated to Russian) - it makes me wonder if there isn't some older tradition that Carter unknowingly re-created.

Drsendero

dr. farr

He might have: eg, Ibn Ezra (Begiining of Wisdom) c.1029 AD, talked about advancing the ascendant 1 degree for every year of life (which similar to Carter's advancing various chart factors by 1 degree per year of life)-so it is quite possible that, somewhere in the earlier literature, such methods might well have been applied.

Frisiangal

Sorry for the delay in response, Rosie. Had visitors for a few days.

Frisiangal wrote: You might also like to consider the secondary progressions. S.p.Moon is now working through Aquarius in the 6th house and is picking up on natal Pluto.

That is a good point too. It is 2 degrees approaching and by July 2014, it would be exact but that doesn't speak to the past 1 year of generally very bad behaviour.

I would personally consider that it could....but that's just me!:wink:
Sec. progr. Moon had moved through Capricorn in the 5th house to square the large natal stellium for a year. The last aspect made in Capricorn was to natal Jupiter, yet which by secondary progression had moved into Aquarius. S.P. Moon experiences another situation than during its last conjunction with Jupiter. As said earlier, if his position has been undermined, further Jupiterian advancement through responsibility may have been curbed. Once s.p. Moon enters the 6th house under influence of Aquarius, the obvious signs of irrationality through inner stress could be a feature of its expression.

You could also consider the infuence of the natal YOD figure from Saturn-Uranus to Jupiter. Bi-polar tendencies are often significant of adverse Jupiter-Saturn (high highs versus low lows). The inconjunct aspect is particularly straining, to which Uranus as ruler 6th house would add its effect. It's never easy for others to have to face adversity from others, yet, as astrology enthusiasts, at least it's possible to understand the reasoning behind the explosive bouts when viewing the natal chart.....Making allowances for them can be something else.:sideways:

Just to clarify, for any progression SA or Sec Progr, do I just calculate it using the regular birth place coordinates?

This is a question of personal preference and technique. I use the 'old way'; always using natal birth place and progressed house cusps to represent that changes one undergoes in life. Yet I can appreciate that if one settles elsewhere hundred of miles away for a long period of life, a relocated chart might offer a more relevant perspective. I think it depends upon the specific astrologer's outlook in interpretting astro. symbolism.

You know, I have never really given much attention to the inconjuncts but I have always wondered about how this stellum might create some lifelong friction. Do you see this as being a major indicator of having to make all kinds of emotional adjustments with others just to try and get along? Tell me more about that if you feel up to it.

You expect Aries to adjust to others?:w00t: Aries is the natural 1st sign of the zodiac. It has nothing in front of it but the unsoiled virgin land upon which it leaves the 1st footsteps, so how can it perceive, become aware of, and adjust to others? It needs a bit of Libra to be able to do that.:wink:
It may sound harsh FOR others who are confronted by the Arian brashness, yet for the individual itself a large Aries stellium is there for a reason. The inherent effects of the Moon represents the emotional conditioning through past experiences. An 8th house stellium might find itself continually 'starting over anew' without the means of some kind of security provided by other signs and house influence.

Could you tell me a little bit more about how you see that manifesting; any specific health issues?

Health astrology isn't easy to discuss in a few sentances and health issues depend upon so many factors, which most often can only be provided by the individual itself.

Rosie7

Hello Frisiangal,

Thank you so much for your post! Sorry for the delay in sending thanks as I have not been on the boards for a while. Your blurb about Aries adjustment pretty much sums up the landscape these days. Perhaps these P M and T Pluto aspects to the 8 Hs stellium might kick-up an urge for this fellow to move on.

kaktuzz

Farr wrote:

Hi Rosie7,

you can use free Solar Arc Direction online calculator:
horoscopes.astro-seek.com/solar-arc-directions-calculator

and Profections (Symbolic progressions) online calculator:
horoscopes.astro-seek.com/profections-astrology-calculator
with several possible progression ratio keys: 1° for 1 Year; 30° for 1 Year; 360° for 1 Year ...

Once you enter your birth data, you can simply switch between all these progressed calculations.

Attachments

• solar_arc.gif
    solar_arc.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 38