Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Houses & cusps

Houses & cusps For discussions on houses and house cusps (i.e. planets on angles, house stelliums and so on)

Unread 03-25-2017, 06:15 AM

Does the 11th house rule over social media?

Just wondering what you guys think..

Unread 03-25-2017, 07:28 AM

Smile Re: Does the 11th house rule over social media?

Third House is about communication. So is Mercury. To the extent that social media is about making friends (which often isn't the case), it could be considered 11'th House.

Last edited by david starling; 03-25-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Unread 03-25-2017, 02:32 PM

Re: Does the 11th house rule over social media?

Hmm. I always thought so, being in the "Age of Aquarius" and all that but I think David's right about the 3rd house. People say I come off as a lot more "charged" online than I do irl, even when I try very hard not to be. I think this is a result of Mars in the 3rd. I think the 10th house/MC has a lot to do with your internet persona too though.

Hmm. I really think it depends. Social media can be politically divisive too which I think is more of an 11th house thing. Friends, groups, social networking - those are all 11th house things IMO. I often say the danger in social media is that you're so bombarded with what everybody else thinks that you lose sight of what YOU think. But 3rd house could describe social media too, particularly blogging - forums like this - etc. 3rd house is social media when people share there own thoughts.

Then again if David's right about 3rd house exclusively representing social media, a 3rd house Leo would make sense
Unread 03-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft94 View Post
Hmm. I always thought so, being in the "Age of Aquarius" and all that but I think David's right about the 3rd house. People say I come off as a lot more "charged" online than I do irl, even when I try very hard not to be. I think this is a result of Mars in the 3rd. I think the 10th house/MC has a lot to do with your internet persona too though.

Hmm. I really think it depends. Social media can be politically divisive too which I think is more of an 11th house thing. Friends, groups, social networking - those are all 11th house things IMO. I often say the danger in social media is that you're so bombarded with what everybody else thinks that you lose sight of what YOU think. But 3rd house could describe social media too, particularly blogging - forums like this - etc. 3rd house is social media when people share there own thoughts.

Then again if David's right about 3rd house exclusively representing social media, a 3rd house Leo would make sense
It's a Third House creation that can serve the needs of the other Houses.
Unread 03-25-2017, 06:10 PM

I would go along with AppLeo.

The Air houses are all associated with forms of relating through a communicative spirit. The 3rd house is personal involvement within the local vacinity, 7th house with 'a significant other'. So where does association with everbody else come in? Must be through the 11th house, surely?

There's no close and/or personal relating going on in the 11th house, which could also be said of social media contact.
Unread 03-25-2017, 07:21 PM

[
QUOTE=Frisiangal;771857]I would go along with AppLeo.

The Air houses are all associated with forms of relating through a communicative spirit. The 3rd house is personal involvement within the local vacinity, 7th house with 'a significant other'. So where does association with everbody else come in? Must be through the 11th house, surely?

There's no close and/or personal relating going on in the 11th house, which could also be said of social media contact.[/QUOTE]

Third House is about personal communication itself, and social media is first and foremost about personal communication. The internet, like the postal service and the telephone, are tools that enable long-distance, two-way conversations of a PERSONAL nature. Not sure where "the local vicinity" ties into it. People can and do get VERY personal on social media sites with people from around the world.
That said, social NETWORKING sites are impersonal, and do involve matters relating to other Houses. Career networking sites would be H10, for example. Our own social media community is about Astrology, which would make it Houses 9, 11, and 12. We're not supposed to get TOO personal here!

Last edited by david starling; 03-25-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Unread 03-25-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
[
QUOTE=Frisiangal;771857]I would go along with AppLeo.

There's no close and/or personal relating going on in the 11th house, which could also be said of social media contact.
Third House is about personal communication itself, and social media is first and foremost about personal communication. The internet, like the postal service and the telephone, are tools that enable long-distance, two-way conversations of a PERSONAL nature. Not sure where "the local vicinity" ties into it. People can and do get VERY personal on social media sites with people from around the world.
That said, social NETWORKING sites are impersonal, and do involve matters relating to other Houses. Career networking sites would be H10, for example. Our own social media community is about Astrology, which would make it Houses 9, 11, and 12. We're not supposed to get TOO personal here! [/QUOTE]

7th house isn't necessarily about communication with 'a significant other' so much as it is any type of one-on-one (business partners, open enemies etc.) 11th house is bigger groups, your circle of friends. 3rd house would be the type of communication we do on here.....but 10th house is your public persona, how you present yourself to the world (less personal than 1st house) so I think it has influence on more than just career networking sites.
Unread 03-26-2017, 05:01 AM

I think the 11th house is about the connections we make, the type of friends we attract and our experiences around it. There could be a slight link if one is inclined to bring those experiences online into real life. However since social media is about communication, exchange of energies on an unseen level, more than the physical seeing of people, on some abstract level it could be related to the 11th house in terms of the people or groups we attract.
For a more sound interpretation placement of mercury and also Mars to see the type communication and also the type of exchange, motivation etc.
The third house could definitely also play a role here. We could not isolate one over the other, generally speaking either of them could be factor here.
Unread 03-26-2017, 05:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Vyri Send a message via AIM to Vyri Send a message via MSN to Vyri Send a message via Yahoo to Vyri

Expanse is ruled of Jupiter hence the 9th where all the magnificent egos stem from..The 9th is the highest principle of creativity-of connecting to the creator's personal message that potentially communicates a diversification's of messages to an (Neptune of Sag.) eclectic audience of world varying cultures. The 9th is the origin source energy house which has the ability to reach-enthrall via the identities potential active verve or creative processes of thinking (Sun joys here with his connectedness to the creators ego for expression) reaching to spiritual heights of imagination. The 9th house is assisted by the air wave houses/signs and with a great energy (aspect) to these signs lords = is received of their assistance for promotions.

Some examples of expressionism could be reflected as :Gemini used as the processing vehicle via the tongue/Mercury interpretation. Sun (who joys in the 9th house) is the identity of the creative impersonation of the character, creative (Leo) vivification for one of the purpose's of the greater ego to inspire, develop-for mental expansion with the air waves assistance ex; Venus 7th Libra (creativity-beauty), Mercury 3rd Gemini (delivery-connection by interpretation), 11th Aquarius Saturn/Uranus the new age expressionism agent to change and progress the world's understanding of where we inevitably are heading as a unified race ideal (Saturn/Aquarius=serves to personify on a deeper level or understanding; as the Lord's design for the earth's people-His footstool=the creator's idealisms ultimate place of great good) The evolution of Man's utmost attempt to give his best to the generation's to come..by telling his story to a world audience is the house where Jupiter is lord..the 9th)

Where the Sun serves to develop the greater ego (Leo/entertainment) as creative sourcing which aids the media to develop it's cultural persona by way of production-direction-acting-story expressionistic story telling, Jupiter is the advertising 9th which reaches the multitude on a grand scale, carrying the identification or unionism of kindred souls.. a person to person message.

Jupiter serves the populace as advertising energy as he has the divine purpose to reach out in a medium encompassing a wide arena of individual talent for the expansive purpose of profit to engage our souls with..to embrace, to share in like spirit a camaraderie or connectedness ..His purpose is to constantly shift and sift values for the purpose of enlightenment. The Neptune (Modern co lord of Sag.=gives his impressionism's to a vast majority of populace.) association of Sagittarius utilizes in a most beneficial futuristic purpose (Jupiter/Neptune=prophecy) arena here, hence Sagittarius rules advertising..and isn't the media always advertising something..if not creative venue..goods..popularity etc..the 9th is our mind and self realization ego house which has the greatest potential to project in a most expansive way or purpose--to relay its message to the world at large.
Lilly does not use Neptune as a secondary lord of Sagittarius but the moderns attest him as the Media's industry leading element for film..dreamy nebulous able to weave a story..there is his connection ultimately as a media vehicle with Jupiter/9th/Sag.'s house, these two as sign lords who have the ability on a higher scale of understanding to serve as refiner's who aid to originate our ability to express our spirits as Jupiter/Neptune let's visit our ultimate dream natures via the media.

All the best
Vyri

Last edited by Vyri; 03-26-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Unread 03-26-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
As I have always understood it the houses under the horizon Asc-Desc. axis are all personal of nature. They are about and concern 'me' in one manner or another. First house 'I am' doesn't know of the physical existence of a 'not-I' until it becomes aware that there are others besides itself dwelling on the planet Earth. 'I' meets up with 'not-I 'and becomes 'I with you' (I forego 'we' nowadays ) of the 7th house. There is then the experience of 'I' in stages with the rest of the world. So how can it 'communicate'. It uses Mercury, and that is a planetary function and not a 3rd house realm of life.

With this in mind, the 3rd house refers to the interchangeable (mutable) influence 'I' has upon 'the neighbourhood' environment, and vice versa, that affects my personal thought processes; how through sign 'I' relate (note not necessarily communicate!!) to those around me; my siblings, lower school, neighbours, town. 'I' does not leave the country to become all foreign influenced, although 3rd house people may seem foreign to 'I' because 'I' am not yet aware that they are a separate identity from me. 'I' still look around me from a totally personal perspective.

I admit that it gets 'tricky' when the telephone, postal service, etc. are associated with the 3rd house. E.g. I have a book in which 'receiving a letter' was classed as a Mercury influence rather than 3rd house influence. Maybe 'social media' could be seen in a similar fashion. It would definitely be yet another explanation for my 9th house Mercury.

Quote:
That said, social NETWORKING sites are impersonal, and do involve matters relating to other Houses. Career networking sites would be H10, for example. Our own social media community is about Astrology, which would make it Houses 9, 11, and 12. We're not supposed to get TOO personal here!
Social networking is so world wide, shouldn't there also be an outer planet influence to account for it? I remember the first heavy computers of the early 1960's when Uranus entered Virgo into the long sojourn with Pluto. Totally changed the working environment. Whole airco. influenced rooms for what can now be in a microchip.

Last edited by Frisiangal; 03-26-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Unread 03-26-2017, 04:18 PM

@Frisiangal :

I agree that the 3rd house, being below the horizon, is a personal one but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't about communication. 7th house = one on one; 11th house = bigger groups, wider circle of friends. 3rd house = self expression. The 3rd house is what we utilize when we go online and blog about their lives (or astrology) with no specific audience in particular. The 3rd house is what we utilize when we write in our journals, etc. Journalism is also a 3rd house topic I believe so it isn't necessarily about you. I'm trying to think of how to better word this: the 3rd house IS communication but it isn't *as* concerned with how this communication will be received, if that makes sense? It's more one way. I don't equate houses with signs but the signs are a good reference point for what I'm trying to say
Unread 03-26-2017, 09:36 PM

The word and "idea" of "networking" or just "network" is 11th house.

but .....the information comes from the individual (often) which is 5th house.

So....really, the CONTEXT of the issue, question or relationship needs to be specific in order to know which houses to look at in any particular chart.

In astrology, the question itself often points to the house perused first.
Ayn Rand is actually a good example. She was unique. She had Pluto in the 11th house and it is very aspected....at least 6 Pluto aspects in her chart...some difficult...of course. BUT...Pluto RULED her 5th!!
She she was VERY "invested" in her work being accepted, no matter how she seemed to have contempt for the "masses" "out there".
LIN

"The universe does not care if it inconveniences you."

Last edited by Lin; 03-26-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Unread 03-26-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
The word and "idea" of "networking" or just "network" is 11th house.

but .....the information comes from the individual (often) which is 5th house.

So....really, the CONTEXT of the issue, question or relationship needs to be specific in order to know which houses to look at in any particular chart.

In astrology, the question itself often points to the house perused first.
Ayn Rand is actually a good example. She was unique. She had Pluto in the 11th house and it is very aspected....at least 6 Pluto aspects in her chart...some difficult...of course. BUT...Pluto RULED her 5th!!
She she was VERY "invested" in her work being accepted, no matter how she seemed to have contempt for the "masses" "out there".
LIN
I think the question is about the fundamental House involved. Since I consider H3 to be essential to communication in general, I see it as the "medium" for sharing information of all kinds. But, that doesn't mean other Houses aren't involved as well. Ayn Rand would have been VERY popular on Twitter!
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
craft94 (03-26-2017)
Unread 03-26-2017, 11:34 PM

"Ayn Rand would have been VERY popular on Twitter!"

I think she would read every tweet.....but answer none. Then she would write an article about it.

About the other thing: Of course the 3rd and 11th have to be connected for the social network. But personal writing is a bit different from direct to the world writing.
Also, someone can be great at speaking but not be popular in "network."

So.....a chart would have to be seen. Otherwise it's speculation, which I hate.
LIN

"The universe does not care if it inconveniences you."

Tags
11th, house, media, rule, social