How do you guys read NN/SN in horary ?

Chrysalis

If a planet is joined to NN, i'm presuming within orb..then ive read that the NN will increase the planet its joined to. If NN is next to venus then its increasing venus ??

But in what way would this increase be, also the same question regarding decrease for the SN.

Say if you do a 1/7 question and have NN in 7th and SN in 1st, then whats the NN saying about being in the 7th and whats the SN saying being in the 1st ?

moonwitch

Hi Chrysalis:

Good question. I've struggled with this myself. I still have a difficult time understanding sometimes how it should be used.

Lilly uses the increase (NN) and decrease (SN) interpretations. I am not overly fond of this particular interpretation myself as it doesn't seem to add much to the reading, imo.

I think I read in Olivia Barclay that the SN in the first house can indicate a mark on the querent wherever the sign suggests. So SN in Aquarius would indicate near the ankles. I've had this work for me personally at least twice. :happy:

I really like the Jyotish interpretation of the SN which is like an "empty promise" and this is the one that I most often use in horary interpretations, especially if it winds up in the house that is ruling the question. So SN in the 7th house with other slightly positive indicators may indicate that romance looks promising, but because of the SN nothing will come of it because the quesited cannot "make it happen" for some reason. I've had a chart where that happened to me personally too - the quesited's intentions were good but nothing happened. :sad:

When I see SN on the cusp of two that means to me that if the querent is expecting payment of some sort that it won't be forthcoming or may be less than expected.

I have also used the modern interpretation on occasion, specifically where Venus was translating light between two significators in a friendship chart. The nodal axis was in an exact square with Venus which I took to mean that "destiny" was against it and in fact it didn't happen. Later, in an online post somewhere I heard this called "the bendings" as in: "Venus is at the bendings" and it means the thing will be denied, but I have never heard or seen anything about it other than that one post.

As for the NN, I generally think of it as a lucky or beneficial place. In lost item charts it is considered a Fortune (a lucky indicator, like Jupiter or Venus).

Hope this helps and I hope some of this is accurate!

Cheers,

moonwitch

Chrysalis

Hi Chrysalis:

Good question. I've struggled with this myself. I still have a difficult time understanding sometimes how it should be used.
Hey thank you, ive actually got a reply for once...i never seem to get none for my questions lol.
Lilly uses the increase (NN) and decrease (SN) interpretations. I am not overly fond of this particular interpretation myself as it doesn't seem to add much to the reading, imo.
Yes same here.
I think I read in Olivia Barclay that the SN in the first house can indicate a mark on the querent wherever the sign suggests. So SN in Aquarius would indicate near the ankles. I've had this work for me personally at least twice. :happy:
Wouldnt this be more natal.
I really like the Jyotish interpretation of the SN which is like an "empty promise" and this is the one that I most often use in horary interpretations, especially if it winds up in the house that is ruling the question. So SN in the 7th house with other slightly positive indicators may indicate that romance looks promising, but because of the SN nothing will come of it because the quesited cannot "make it happen" for some reason. I've had a chart where that happened to me personally too - the quesited's intentions were good but nothing happened. :sad:
Yes i like this interpretation and will take note of this, it makes a lot of sense.
When I see SN on the cusp of two that means to me that if the querent is expecting payment of some sort that it won't be forthcoming or may be less than expected.
Yes this makes sense
I have also used the modern interpretation on occasion, specifically where Venus was translating light between two significators in a friendship chart. The nodal axis was in an exact square with Venus which I took to mean that "destiny" was against it and in fact it didn't happen. Later, in an online post somewhere I heard this called "the bendings" as in: "Venus is at the bendings" and it means the thing will be denied, but I have never heard or seen anything about it other than that one post.

As for the NN, I generally think of it as a lucky or beneficial place. In lost item charts it is considered a Fortune (a lucky indicator, like Jupiter or Venus).

Hope this helps and I hope some of this is accurate!

Cheers,

moonwitch

Great info moonwitch, thankyou once again :)

So the part ive highlighted, say we have a famous L1 L7 chart asking if he will come back and SN is in 7th house... and there is TOL between significators bringing them back together, and everything in the chart looks nice....apart from SN in 7th.
So would you say this meant that as good as things look, its not gonna happen ?

So SN needs to be in a house in question to mean something, regarding the same example question and SN is in 2nd house then this would be irrelevant ?

moonwitch

Hi Chrysalis:

So the part ive highlighted, say we have a famous L1 L7 chart asking if he will come back and SN is in 7th house... and there is TOL between significators bringing them back together, and everything in the chart looks nice....apart from SN in 7th.
So would you say this meant that as good as things look, its not gonna happen ?
The person who was explaining it said that the SN was like inviting people out to dinner, eating dinner and then realizing you had left your wallet at home, so in a L1/L7 situation that has perfection I would think that they would get together but something would then interfere, like say being deployed to Antarctica or the like :biggrin:. In some way the thing desired would not ultimately happen.

Unfortunately I don't have any charts to show this except mine but there wasn't perfection in that one, just SN in the 7th. He had been flirting but when I gave him my number he didn't contact me, I don't know why, we have never spoken to each other.

So SN needs to be in a house in question to mean something, regarding the same example question and SN is in 2nd house then this would be irrelevant ?
I don't think this is necessarily true but you would need additional info from the client to possibly figure that out ie: if it's a 7th house matter and SN is on the cusp of two, it could relate to a payment of some sort or even a self-worth issue but how to know that if the client doesn't allude fully to the situation? Most of the time if I look at SN and it doesn't seem relevant to what the rest of the chart is talking about I will ignore it.

It might be useful to spend some time in the Indian Astrology section and see what threads might be there about NN/SN which are Rahu/Ketu. The only other thing I know about them, in the Indian sense, is that they are both considered malefic.

Hope this helps!

Cheers.

moonwitch

Hello again:

I had forgotten about this, from William Lilly:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]43. Beware of men and things appertaining to that house wherein South Node is in; it seldome failes, but the Querent shall receive damage, scandall or slander from men and matter signified by the house he is in.

http://mithras93.tripod.com/lessons/aphor/aphor.html

I don't have a page number for you, sorry.

moonwitch
[/FONT]

dr. farr

For me, querent significator or quesited significator conjunction or flow toward the North Node is a + indication; querent significator or quesited significator conjunction or flow toward the South Node is a - indication; if the South Node is in the horary chart's 1st house, I consider the chart indications to be unreliable; if the South Node is in the same sign as a Lot, the Lot is rendered negative (ie, is afflicted); these indications arise largely from oldtime Islamic transitional-era horary astrology, although these indications stretched into the early Medieval European period via the works of Gerard of Cremona.

The orb of conjunction with the Nodes has generally been considered to be 2 to (no more) than 3 degrees.

A general teaching (which I myself do not ascribed to), often found in both Western and Vedic astrological sources, is that conjunction with the North Node amplifies both the benefic or the malefic influences of the planet in conjunction, and that conjunction with the South Node diminishes both the benefic or the malefic influences of the planet in conjunction; this outlook arises from the North Node also being known as the "Ascending Node", and the South Node also being known as the "Descending Node".
As I mentioned, I do not follow this concept-I have "tested" it on numerous occasions, and have personally found it to be lacking in significant results.

I follow the concept that the North Node is similar in influence to the + qualities of a Venus/Jupiter conjunction (I usually refer to the North Node as the "lucky strike North Node"); and that the South Node is similar in influence to the - qualities of a Mars/Saturn conjunction.

Last edited: