Degrees in a natal chart? In your own words.

Whitney

Okay, I was hoping if someone would be nice to explain, in their own words, and not send me a set of links, about the significance of degrees in their chart. I understand that 0-10, 10-20, 20-30. . .decans. 0-10 being the strongest, and 20-30 is the "weakest," so to speak. However, I was wondering if someone could explain the degrees in my chart, as it goes above 30. I just want to know about the Ascendant, sun, and moon, so far.

Asc is in Leo 7'16
Sun is in Sagittarius 19'19
Moon is in Scorpio 48'55.

48'55? What is that?

Whitney

I suppose all over the web? I know little about terms such as "critical degrees," but I know 0-10 degrees into a sign and it purportedly has a stronger influence. As in, if I were like 5 degrees Sagittarius, I suppose I would be more "Sagittarian" than if it were 20 degrees in.

And I got my degrees from astro charts.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1796/chartsvi0.gif

Last edited:

cassanra

I mean where did you get the 48'55? The only time you see this is when they have not subtracted for some reason.

astro.teacher

Traditionally the degrees mean many things. You gave an example of the Faces of the signs. These faces are considered something called "essential dignities". These dignities show the power of the Planets. There are also Terms which are layed out in various degree incriments. The degrees also are assigned a sex. This is especially useful for telling the sex of our children, enemies and what-not within our chart. There are also fortunate and unfortunate degrees. Degrees which make us fair skinned or dark and many more. Well I know you asked for no links, however since it is my site, I figured it is close enough to my own words and makes it a lot easier than retyping it. You can read more about these degrees here;

http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap1-5.html

Whitney

Astro.teacher, I didn't mean no links whatsoever. I just don't like people sending me links to places that really don't answer my question and that's that. Thank you for you link. You've explained a lot more about degrees than I knew.

However, using the astro chart (because this is what I use as reference often), is it 18 degrees Scorpio and not 48? I'm a little confused about how to read the chart. Or am I supposed to subtract 30?

Yoi

The chart says your moon is at:

"2 Sco 48' 55''"

i.e. 2 degree Scorpio, 48 minutes, 55 seconds.

In the actual picture it is rounded up to 2 degrees 49 minutes Scorpio. In decimals this is roughly 2.8 degrees.

You can never have something more than 30 degrees of any sign because the maximum number of degrees in a sign is 30.

The 18 degrees that someone suggested earlier is because they thought you might need to subtract 30 degrees from the 48. 48-30=18. So the 18 degrees suggested is *already* after the 30 degrees was subtracted. Not that it was necessary in this case.

On a similar note the other figures you gave in your OP are wrong. From the chart you posted they are actually:

ASC: 16 degrees 7 minutes Leo
Sun: 3 degrees 19 minutes 19 seconds Sag

Last edited:

rogue_red

Yoi said:
The chart says your moon is at:

"2 Sco 48' 55''"

i.e. 2 degree Scorpio, 48 minutes, 55 seconds.

In the actual picture it is rounded up to 2 degrees 49 minutes Scorpio. In decimals this is roughly 2.8 degrees.

You can never have something more than 30 degrees of any sign because the maximum number of degrees in a sign is 30.

The 18 degrees that someone suggested earlier is because they thought you might need to subtract 30 degrees from the 48. 48-30=18. So the 18 degrees suggested is *already* after the 30 degrees was subtracted. Not that it was necessary in this case.

On a similar note the other figures you gave in your OP are wrong. From the chart you posted they are actually:

ASC: 16 degrees 7 minutes Leo
Sun: 3 degrees 19 minutes 19 seconds Sag

Yoi is quite right.
The way Astro.com write the location of your planets can be a little confusing by having the degrees, sign, minutes and the seconds.
The planetary positions are given in degrees, minutes and seconds. There are sixty seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in a degree and thirty degrees in each sign.

Whitney

Thanks a lot, rogue_red and Yoi. A little embarrassed about my mistake, but now the problem is solved. The chart is confusing to read if you don't know what you're doing.

rogue_red

Whitney said:
Thanks a lot, rogue_red and Yoi. A little embarrassed about my mistake, but now the problem is solved. The chart is confusing to read if you don't know what you're doing.

You have no need to be embarassed, we are all learners here. The thing is you learned something so its good that you asked the question.:)

starlink

Whitney, MkM84 is right. Nothing gets "weaker". The different decans just show which energy will also be included in your character.

Lets say you are a Sagittarius and your Sun is at 13°, which would fall in your 2nd decanate, the decanate of the next fire sign which is Aries, so your Sun, apart from showing clear Sagittarian traits, will also exhibit a few Arian characteristics. (always start with your own fire sign, then follow suit. If you have a Leo Sun, your next decanate would be Sagittarius).

If you want to go a bit deeper still, you can look into which Dwad your Sun falls.

A Dwad is an area of 2.5 degrees so 13° Sagittarius would fall into the Taurus dwad and so your Sun would also have a bit of Taurus qualities. Result: Mix Sagittarius, Aries and Taurus and you can see how your "Self" is made up. Look at the rulers of these signs for more information.

Decanates and Dwads are being looked at mostly when we deal with Twins or triplets in order to find differences in their character.

greenastrologer

I was just thinking about cusps the other day and remembering in way earlier days (when I only knew sun signs and little else) reading a lot about cusps (my bday is apr 19) and that you will have characteristics of the adjacent sign (of course i have taurus characteristics as i have venus, merc, saturn & MC in taurus!) but it never really rang terribly true for me - same with other people's charts
When I studied permaculture, I learned about what is called the "edge effect" and that is when I started thinking early & late degree placements actually enhanced the sign's energies ... I'm still not sure which is why I was just thinking about it the other day (looking at a very 'cuspy' chart ... lots of zeros and ones)

etoilestar

hi green astrologer

had to post a reply just because my b'day is 19 april as well!!! so I have very late sun 29,23 aries... I do feel I have a lot of taurean qualities from this... I also have tau early mars...

what year are you?

Melanie

etoilestar

Hi GA, no just the mars at 1.32 degrees and my North moon node at 25 degrees. I certaintly feel that its the late aries degree that gives me the taurean feel... I'm 1966...

Melanie