Neptune in the 10th: Career Help Needed

LoneStar

Hi everyone.

I'm having a really really hard time with finding an appropriate career. I have Neptune in the 10th house and I can tell you that it causes major frustrations in settling into a position and staying there. I am so confused and disappointed in my inability to set myself up well with a career path. Its causing me major stress and depression... I need relief and the appropriate outlets for my energy.

For many years I was planning on becomming a Creative Arts therapist. I have a degree in Psychology with a concentration in Studio art. I have artistic talent and really enjoy talking and sharing with others topics like art, creativity, emotions, healing, relational dynamics, dreams, psyche, spiritual stuff, wounding, etc... Neptunian/chironic/plutonic stuff. I enjoy validating others and I generally give way more than I should in relationships. I can be incredibley empathic and intuitive, but I am also noticing that I have issues with helping others to my own detriment and have some spiritual issues with self-sacrifice and loss of self in a traditional Neptunian sense. I am too nice and a little superficial when the focus or the spotlight comes ONTO ME. I am very social and popular in the community, but I am also extremely shy and prefer 1-on-1 interactions or small groups. I like to help people BEHIND the scenes and avoid attention and the spotlight whenever I can. I'll do the work, but I don't really care about the credit.

Once I got familiar with (and accepted) how sensitive and vulnerable and shy I really am, I started to rethink my original career plan. As a therapist: I imagined myself with a life full of everyone's problems, losing my boundaries, and being drained daily by manipulative people, and I just freaked. It looked like drudgery, but yet a drudgery that I was somehow poorly drawn to regardless. Ideally, I wanted to help people, but the reality is somewhat different I have learned.

Anyway. I am totally rethinking everything, which is just awful at this point becasue I feel utterly lost and I feel a SERIOUS pressure to get moving ASAP on a career.

Too many things I was good at in school actually ended up becomming a problem for me. I knew I could do whatever I wanted, then I took too much time being really picky about what that would be, and now I'm almost 30 and I feel like I've wasted too much time and now I'm out of the loop, unspecialized, and doomed to disappointment. I always got straight A's in school, authority has always loved me, I get along with everyone, and I'm uniquely creative. So what's the problem, right? Neptune is the blessing and the problem because I can't focus and specialize and initiating any action is extremely tough. I might even be the case of a grand fire trine gone bad.

I have astrong Aquarian influence in my chart, so I value freedom and have a really hard time accepting restriction. I also LOVE NATURE and need regular time outdoors. Sitting in front of a computer is burning me out. Working for a corporation is also not for me. Denying my authenticity for a job is also not for me. I am not a huge personality, but I do manage to attract attention no matter what I do. I also have really strong Earth centered values that I can not compromise. I am very aquarian, but I find this side of me is a little too "out there" and a little too radical, so I sometimes repress it and make myself appear very "normal" while I try to moderate that Uranian side of me. But if I moderate it too much I get freaky and feel a little crazy. I need freedom or I need to be either AUTONOMOUS or primarily in charge of my own affairs.

I am weak in terms of specialization, and a little lazy and hazy and idealistic which caused these problem to start with.

Anyway, I'm kinda freaking out.

Can anyone look at my chart and offer some feedback or ideas or career suggestion about what might work for me? I can't narrow anything down.
I want to do to many scattered things, but I will end up doing NOTHING if I don't clear this haze soon. Can anyone help me get my focus back? I'd really appreciate it. THANK YOU.

I am thinking about
1. being an professional artist which is kind of unrealistic
2. going back to school for community development/urban renewal
3. graphic design
4. counselling (still :rolleyes: )
5. alternative (aquarian) childcare
6. environmental advocacy/conservation
7. wilderness therapy guide
8. non-profit work for the poor/ homeless/abused/etc
9. homestead- small scale farming and animal husbandry
10. some kind of writer ... 'cause in case you can't tell, I really enjoy writing!!!

Sorry this post is so long. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I would first look at jobs that link with the 10th house ruler, being Jupiter in this case.......from your list, i see that higher education is something that would fit.....especially philosophy (jupiter also fits with law,banking (boring!),religion, restaurant workers philanthropists and tailors as examples)........perhaps you could teach higher ed.....you already have some degrees under your belt.....and your interested in alternative childcare, what about teaching at a more academic level.......i still think you could bring in your aquarian streak......you could specialize in some of the fields you have already mentioned. I also think that neptune in the 10th could be a source of inspiration to you and others.........jupiter is in the 5th aswell........children.....i wonder if that can extend to "students"? will go and find out as i am not sure.....
perhaps someone else more knowledgable will pipe up and answer .

lonestar, i dont think 29/30 is too young to still being unsure of what you want to do. I really think for some people life skills need to be established before definite decisions can be made.....dont be hard on yourself, cos i think with the drive you have shown in your post, you will succeed when you decide

best of luck.....(still going to find out what house rules students)
kylie

LoneStar

Thanks Kylie... :sunny: ...for being a light there.

I didn't even think of Jupiter and Jupiterian stuff with Sag there. Silly me! Yeah, being a professor would probably be a very good idea for me. I thought about it for a while, and on several occasions I had dreams I was teaching at a University, so there is a pretty big chance I will pursue that avenue. I could be cutting edge and interdisciplinary and studious and innovative and human all at once, and my aquarius stuff just LOVES that idea!

I know 29 is not too old or too late, but I do definitely realize life is going quick and moving fast all the time. I'm just acutely aware... tick tick tick.... time is of the essence here.

Teaching would be really good for me (and others) for a lot of reasons, I think.

That was a good suggestion, Thanks.

Ok, i looked up the house that rules students and i think (i think!!!!!!) it is the 3rd, as it rules education.....the ruler of your third is venus and venus is sitiing right there.........i think you have the necessary skills of communication to make working in higher education a forte for sure....
as i am still a beginner though, i would love other peoples opinions.......as i am sure you would too!

archergirl

I have Neptune in the 10th as well, and like you I have struggled to settle in to one thing or another in terms of career.

Neptune in the 10th is an excellent place for one of the 'helping professions', so your first interest in therapy of some sort would be appropriate. I think the trine between your 10th Neptune, 7th Saturn, and your Mercury/Sun conjunction are an excellent recipe for a therapist, all guided by the Moon/Jupiter conjunction in the creative 5th. Art therapy? You bet!

Training in counseling will help you sort out where your boundaries are and where others' should be, and for professionally licensed therapists, at least, there is some requirement that you yourself also have therapy. This is to help you process all your clients' issues and keep them separate from your own.

I suspect with a 10th Neptune you will never, ever really settle on something, so my recommendation is to look at the things that you are *good at* (art, the psyche, relations, etc) and the things that *fulfill you*, and make that your job. Once you have those two criteria in place (and these criteria are things that Spirit gives us to grow) you will be less restless and inclined to jump around.

I am so confused and disappointed in my inability to set myself up well with a career path. Its causing me major stress and depression..

You will feel better if you stop trying to think of it as a 'career' and start listening to your calling. Often the thing Spirit calls for us to do, is something we are interested in from childhood. What did you do as a child? What were your interests? Were they encouraged or discouraged? Food for thought.

I have the greatest of sympathy! I am in exactly the same boat, only between nursing and social work (but I'm also interested in osteopathy, herbalism, and counseling) so I feel your pain! But as a child, I use to mix up 'medicines' from plants and whatever else I could think of, give 'pills' to my poor dog made from chili seeds, and loved reading the first aid book in the glove box of my Mum's car. I think I know what my calling is. Despite this, Neptune still leaves me dithering.

Just pick the thing that calls you the most, and then make yourself commit to it for, say, five years. You are still plenty young to change your path later on. But you may find that you don't have to, if you choose something that is close to your nature/talents/interests.

Good luck!
AG:)

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi- I too have neptune in the tenth-in Libra....
I have worked and trained as a schoolteacher,counsellor, alternative medicine practitioner, candlemaker, astrologer and clairvoyant.....Long ago I gave up the idea of a single career path. With Neptune in the tenth there is a real attunement to *the world outside the home*....
Whatever you most ENJOY doing would be a good work choice-Like Archer said,with neptune in the 10th you may exsperience many changes in your *career* path.
Cheers Lillyjgc

LoneStar

Archergirl, Liquid Green, and Lilly... thank you all for the good counsel.
Your advice was all fantastic. Thanks so much. I'm still thinking and processing the issue, of course, but I really appreciate your insights.

Here's a link to Liz Greene's "The Astrological Neptune and the Quest for Redemption" where she talks about Neptune in the 10th. Those with this placement may find this interesting if you haven't read Liz Greene's take on it yet. She's of the position that the 10th is all about the mother, not the father. Really interesting read.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iS...S4z&sig=eOcHLvvQRAxE7wRDPJP4bgjm9tI#PPA396,M1

Thanks,
LoneStar

Last edited:

LoneStar

Anyone know the acceptable orb for an opposition? I'm trying to figure out if my Moon should be considered opposed to Neptune? Astrodienst does not consider it, because it looks like its about a 10+ degree orb there. But after reading Liz Greene's take on the aspects, it feels like I should consider it an opposition. The more I read of Liz Greene, the more I hate Neptune.

Opinions on an acceptable Neptune opposition orb? Shouldn't it be wider than normal, to account for the blending effects of Neptune?

Last edited:

gaer

LoneStar said:
Anyone know the acceptable orb for an opposition? I'm trying to figure out if my Moon should be considered opposed to Neptune? Astrodienst does not consider it, because it looks like its about a 10+ degree orb there. But after reading Liz Greene's take on the aspects, it feels like I should consider it an opposition. The more I read of Liz Greene, the more I hate Neptune.

Opinions on an acceptable Neptune opposition orb? Shouldn't it be wider than normal, to account for the blending effects of Neptune?
You will never get a definitive answer on orbs simply because different people have different ideas.

You have so many aspects to Neptune, I'd consider the ones that are closer in orb first.

Here are some ideas totally off the top of my head.

Both Saturn and Neptune are angular, 7th and 10th houses. Although they are trine, which is traditionally the most fortunate possible aspect between them, I think there is always at least some conflict going on between the need for what Saturn wants and what Neptune wants. It's so hard to make the the practicality of one work smoothly with the idealism/dreaminess of the other.

And this trine is definitely personal because both planets trine Sun/Mercury.

Here are my guesses: obviously you need freedom, room to be creative, etc., but aren't you thinking about the dangers of going into something that will give you no security? With Saturn so strong, you should also have a strong need for an "umbrella", some kind of assurance that you aren't going into a field that will leave you in a lurch.

With Saturn in the 7th, you might find yourself unhappy in something that seems creative, free, but that does not involve other people. Writing is a rather lonely way make money, and I THINK you are leaning towards working with other people.

Finally, my gut feeling, looking at your chart, is that you are faced with the dilemma of being too good at too many things. That can sometimes happen with a lot of trines. It's almost as if you are cursed by the same thing that makes you lucky—too many choices. :)

LoneStar

Hi again.

Finally, my gut feeling, looking at your chart, is that you are faced with the dilemma of being too good at too many things. That can sometimes happen with a lot of trines. It's almost as if you are cursed by the same thing that makes you lucky—too many choices.

Gaer, yes, this is very true. This has been the crux of my problem. Too many options. I can not make up my mind and pick any ONE thing because one option does not outweigh any other. They are all perfect, but I will have to sacrifice some skills for others I think. I've been mulling the variables over for years, which is a long time to be "thinking" or "soul searching". Its nuts: I just need to roll the dice, pick SOMETHING, and go for it. The blessings of the grand fire trine need to be used, I feel it so strong right now. That is why I posted in a panic: I'm losing my balance and I need to do something(s) fast because I'm slipping into waste. It would be very bad karma to not use the gifts, I know.

I'm glad you pointed at my Saturn, because I think I might not be owning my Saturn fully enough... maybe because Cap is in my 12th and I'm repressing it? Does that happen? I don't know, but something you wrote struck a chord within me that needed to be hit:

aren't you thinking about the dangers of going into something that will give you no security? With Saturn so strong, you should also have a strong need for an "umbrella", some kind of assurance that you aren't going into a field that will leave you in a lurch.

No. I am not really thinking realistically of myself and my security and this is where Neptune has the wool over my eyes! I wrote that I have problems with being too nice and self-sacrifice and rose colored glasses. And this is Neptune in the 10th: I do not hardly ever think of myself in the career zone. Chalk it up to christian mysticism and "neptunian values" gone wrong. :44: Or a very dark hole in my psychology that I just can't quite see.

Maybe I should check my 3HTaurean/Venus - 8HLibran Pluto quincunx for these issues I am calling "Neptunian" too, because that aspect is a source of tremendous issues with money, abuse, grief, and over giving as well, I have read. I'll do more research, but I know it has caused me great suffering in love. Terrible. I think this aspect is also not working for my advantage in terms of what I am settling for in terms of money. Its all related, I know.

But the more I look at it and dissect it all here, the more somethings come into focus tonight.
Making progress here. This is helping, thanks for your pointers. I really needed this.

~LS

Last edited:

archergirl

And speaking of Liz Greene: LoneStar, have you tried her Career Horoscope on Astrodienst? It's about 46 bucks, I think, and worth it. I just got mine, funnily enough, because I am struggling with a major choice. It was right on target, and noted some things that I had supposed about myself, but hadn't given much thought to. I'm giving them more thought, now. If you can afford it, I'd try it. It might help at least guide you a little bit.

Best,
AG:)

smilingsteph

Neptune in the tenth: I have it too!
I dont know if you do this, but those with this placement can feel like when they see a Doctor for example, see the work, see how they get recognition then that is what they want to be....
Neptune here gives illusions, like saying "I want to do that, I want to do what that person is doing" because this placement leads us to fantasize about the career of another...We fantasize that we are "that" person or doing "that" career.
I seem to want to be something different all of the time....
this can be great with some support, you can have several careers, all successfull if you dont give up. The bad thing is that too you can spread your interests too thin or not really be interested in what you are trying to do, all because it was an illusion to you.
This placement is also very good for those in astrology, and those that are creative and in the arts.
I am proud of my placement here. I have had so many jobs in my 28 years of life, and to say that means that I have a lot of neat learning experiences. I thought that to be a nurse at 28 was old. However I think that I am happier that I did take the time to decide what I wanted to do. I still want to be an actress, work at a beauty store, write journal articles...and so on, but find one thing that you really want to focus on.....then play with other interests later!
I also went to school with over half of my class in their 40's! It is proven that many of us are taking time to go to school, or to find a stable career. It is not that obsurd! Take your time!

LoneStar

I tried her Psychological Horoscope and I was blown away. I was definitely hesitant about spending the money at first, but it was really deeply stunned by the interpretations. I *wish* I knew her formulas for her programs!! That's a truly lost cause there though... I'm sure she keeps that info heavily guarded under lock and key!

Yeah, I might try her Career one. Good idea. As long as it doesn't just tell me that I'll be torn in a million different directions for the rest of my pitiful aimless life like this guy => :69: I'll probably buy it.

smilingsteph

Crazy even before I saw your interests I was thinking working with children! Your fifth house has jupiter there and your moon, so children can be therapeutic and comforting to you and to the kids. I see you more in counseling too. Aquarian rising individuals are great at helping others, with scorpio on the MC you have the ability to get in depth with others. Writing is your way you like to communicate, so I would include that too. With the aquarian energy placed as it is, helping others is very important, as is getting recognition for helping people. I think that whatever you do helping others in a humanistic way will benefit you. Have you thought of nursing? maybe psych nursing?

smilingsteph

I do have a virgo moon, in my seventh house along with saturn, and pluto all in virgo! We sort of have similar charts in a way! Seventh house saturn sucks! I am also aquarius rising too so to have that off-beat energy, it suits me to be able to be independant in nursing, and help others. Here is my chart if you want to take a look!

Attachments

• natal chart.gif
    natal chart.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 27

LoneStar

Thanks, Steph. I'm totally trying to figure out patterns... where people end up, what works for them, if there's an "obvious bigger picture" viewable in the chart... that kinda stuff.

So... Aquarius rising... is also totally "health care" with all the technology they have these days in hospitals: plus, lots of intellectuals, all very detached emotionally, (of course!) formal behaviors, saturnine boundaries, gross shocking body stuff, etc... ...I can see how modern health care field totally fits an aquarius rising.

Even though I'm aqua rising too, I can't make this hospital stuff work out.... and I am trying cause I'm working in one right now. There is not enough heart there these days. $$$ is the bottom line .... and maybe I'm a *dreamer* but that is B-O-G-U-S. Healing should be about healing. Not profit. Period. Healing is sacred. It needs to be preserved. Not commodified and homogenized for mass produced sale and reaping profit margin.

I love nurses, don't get me wrong, but the US health care system has become really crude and invasive, spiritually. Its now very Scorpionic... penetrating and incisive... investigative... probing... harsh.... powerful... etc. Pluto's taken over there, obviously.

But nursing is totally a Neptunian field, too. Nursing is "10th House Neptune" at its best. ...Like all of the nuns that used to run the hospitals....? They are totally Neptune... that purity and that real spiritual devotion and connection to God that motivated them to help everyone and give themselves up for others....and join with their sisters in unity to tend to the suffering because they had no self concern? I love that! I'm sure there is a shadow side (like with everything) but I think that example of nursing is really a Neptune in the 10th signature.

i think an aquarian rising needs a more free way of being envolved in health care personally.........the structure of a hospital system would be WAY to constricting i believe.......I think alternative medicines are more up an aquarian ascendents alley..........

LoneStar

True that, Liquid!

But you have to admit that the "energy" involved with the hospital scene itself is totally Aquarian. It might not be healthy for us as aquarius PEOPLE to be there, but Aquarius does play a huge role in health care.

Uranus rules surgery, right? Aquarius rules technology and the collective well-being. It fits.

Aquarius is just full of paradox.

not sure lonestar......aquarius has two rulers...saturn and uranus
Uranus rules technology i thought and the 8th house surgery.....not sure myself about what we can say about aquarius ruling both........i know scientists can be placed under the aqua umbrella........and definitely humanitarian qualities.....
not sure.....going to read more.....thanks you've inspired my research for the evening