Ideas of the new generation.

Martin

Hello everyone, because I am new here I shal start with a quick introduction.
My name is Martin, I am 17 years of age, live in the Netherlands and hoping to become a video editor later in my life.
But please don't rule me out because of my age, because I am looking for answers on a question which is on a lot of astrologers minds.

How will the universe end?

A documentary on National Geographic talked about this question and told us about 3 theories on how this will happen:

"The big crunch"
"The big chill"
"The big stretch"

But I have a few arguements on each of these theories which will make them sound unreasonable, and I am really looking for some confirmation if my ideas are reality or just "hot air".

The big crunch theory (in a nutshell) told us that the universe will stop expanding at one point and will colapse on itself.

In the documentary there was told that everything would stop expanding and come back to a central point (the point where the big bang took place) and possibly start all over again.
And if this is so, there must be a supermassive black hole in the "centre" of the universe pulling everything back, but if the universe is infinite there isn't a theoretical centre.

So there must be some point in the universe where this supermassive black hole must be located.
If one could find out which direction the earth is expanding, we should be able to point a telescope in the opposite direction and look if there accually is.
(this might be asking for something that could not be possible in practise but these are just my thoughts on this)

The big chill theory again in a nutshell is where the universe keeps expanding to a point where everything would just simply freeze to death.

This is the most illlogical theory from my point of view because a galaxy has a gravitational pull from it's centre so it will expand into infinity away from other galaxies but the galaxy itself will not fall apart.

I got told that when a star explodes in a supernova, it will leave hot gasses that will create new stars so this might keep a galaxy that is moving into infinity from just "crunching" into itself and keeps itself "feeding" itself with new stars which might provide a home for new planets.

The big stretch is where the universe also expands into infinity but with increasing speed untill everything will be ripped apart untill the last atom.

This theory involves dark matter and dark energy which I will not go any further into in this thread because this will make the thread go on for twice as long...

If dark matter will become the main substance in the universe the dark matter will push everything out expanding the universe with such speeds that everything would be ripped apart.

This is illogical to me because I got told before 'and' in the same documentary that everything has glactic speed-limitations which are the speed of light.
Because nobody has ever reached the speed of light which we know of, this might not be true untill proven but it might be possible to travel at almost the speed of light without falling apart?

Why almost? Because an object like a planet or star could not reach the speed of light unless it colapses the matter before it while expanding the matter behind it, which would probably destroy the planet.

These are my thoughts on the documentary but I would like to read your oppinion and thoughts on this.

I am 17, dutch and I don't go to university...
So if I have made a spelling mistake, you may point them out.
And if my ideas aren't based on logic or reason, please tell me why because I am really facinated by this stuff and am willing to learn.

Thank you for reading my thread,
Martin

Last edited:

Niplan

Banned
Astronomers are big into predicting things being destroyed, things dying and universe's exploding, giant unknown bodies crashing into us and killing us all.

I think they are obsessed with it, because they view it happening on a regular basis in space.

But, Deep space may just be a puppet show for us, like a divine movie of how we were created, kind of like god(s) saying "Hey guys!! look what i did!!"

In fact, if god(s) went though all that trouble to create our world, do you think they would let it be destroyed? Its probably like a school art project framed and protected.

and in reguard to black holes, in the latest astronomy magazine on the milky way it shows that our actual galexy's center is a large black hole that everything orbits around, and every 100,000 years it rips a star out of orbit and flings it across existance, sometimes it goes into the hole, creating a massive super nova explosion releasing the stars heavy metals into the universe to be re-made as more stars.

errie too, as if you think about it, everything down to the calcum in our bones and iorn in our blood, is from a pre-humanity explosion or comit crashing into us.

and stars do not benifit when they are remade from the crushed debris of other stars, as they suffer greatly at the hands of dimishing returns, so they burn up their energy faster and quicker because they have less and less and eventualy they turn into giant pulsars (i think thats it) or white dwarfs. either way, its not good for the star.

Last edited: