House ruler is a malefic

RuledbySaturn

If a house is ruled by a malefic (mars, saturn, uranus, neptune, pluto), does that automatically make this house problematic? What if this malefic ruler is well aspected or dignified?

For example, I had a discussion with someone about a house in my chart, when she discovered it was ruled by Capricorn, she automatically said it was "bad," without finding out the shape of my Saturn. I think she meant whatever I was wishing to achieve in this house would be severly limited. So more so than other malefics, is Saturn, "the great malefic," automatically a bad house ruler no matter what?

katydid

If a house is ruled by a malefic (mars, saturn, uranus, neptune, pluto), does that automatically make this house problematic? What if this malefic ruler is well aspected or dignified?

For example, I had a discussion with someone about a house in my chart, when she discovered it was ruled by Capricorn, she automatically said it was "bad," without finding out the shape of my Saturn. I think she meant whatever I was wishing to achieve in this house would be severly limited. So more so than other malefics, is Saturn, "the great malefic," automatically a bad house ruler no matter what?

No, not at all , imo. Saturn is a powerful and important ally, and without Saturn you can be lost.
I have Capricorn ruling my 8th. My 8th house, being shared resources, sexuality and metaphysical mysteries,among other things, has always been a successful area in my life. :devil:

Now, scorpio and capricorn are sextile in the zodiac, so there is affinity between them,
but still, nobody can say that having Capricorn on the cusp would automatically mean it is problematic. And the 4th house might be the most difficult placement for a CApricorn cusp, but as you said, Saturn itself will have a lot to do with the final result.

estrella

I kind of don't like the term "malefic". IMO it's an out dated idea. Every planet has a high and low expression of its energy. How the planet expresses that energy depends on lots of variables including relationships it has to other points in the chart and planets.

Pallas-trine-Mars

Estrella, next time Mars, Saturn or Neptune transits a major point in your chart, tell me then if you think "malefic" is outdated. I think when people say they don't like the term it's because they feel hurt themselves because they relate to the planet, maybe it's their Sun or ascendant ruler or something.

But when you really experience it and see that these labels have been earned by the planets because they're usually negative, like how Mars makes confrontations and muggings, Saturn depression, isolation and loss, you'll see how've they gotten them. Objectively though in the "Great Scheme of Things," these are minor issues, personal issues (sometimes on a large scale though) that lessons can be learned from and eventually are healed by time, but they are still mostly negative in their actions. The planets are like people and Mars and Saturn just don't have good personalities. No, it doesn't mean they're all bad, but they are bad.

But anyway, when we're talking house rulers I always immediately presume them as neutral until I see otherwise. Everyone has houses ruled by benefics and malefics, but if they're challenged in aspects or placement it means hardship in learning and progressing in those areas, otherwise it's more easy or even fortunate I think. So yeah, I think Ruledby is right.

The house being ruled by a malefic isn't unfortunate, just the house that the malefic is in, the negative aspects made by it and major negative transits by those planets. Otherwise Saturn, Mars, Uranus, w/e are just fine. :) ..More or less.

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Pallas-Trine-Mars said:
But anyway, when we're talking house rulers I always immediately presume them as neutral until I see otherwise.

This is a good way to approach it.

The house being ruled by a malefic isn't unfortunate, just the house that the malefic is in, the negative aspects made by it and major negative transits by those planets.

While your statement is true, I'd expand upon it by saying that a house being ruled by a malefic isn't necessarily bad unless that malefic is also debilitied or afflicted. That'd be my answer to the question posed by this thread. Are houses ruled by a malefic bad? No, only if the malefic is itself debilitated, but that's how it is for any planet.

estrella

Estrella, next time Mars, Saturn or Neptune transits a major point in your chart, tell me then if you think "malefic" is outdated. I think when people say they don't like the term it's because they feel hurt themselves because they relate to the planet, maybe it's their Sun or ascendant ruler or something.

I've experienced both good and bad with those transits. It depends on lots of factors, including what aspects are happening to other planets and midpoints.
Actually, I've experienced plenty of Mars transits that positively energized the area being transited.
Since Saturn has been transiting my 11th house, I've made many stable, quality, long lasting friendships.
Neptune transits have brought creativity, mystical experiences, dissolving of walls and barriers.

But when you really experience it and see that these labels have been earned by the planets because they're usually negative, like how Mars makes confrontations and muggings, Saturn depression, isolation and loss, you'll see how've they gotten them. Objectively though in the "Great Scheme of Things," these are minor issues, personal issues (sometimes on a large scale though) that lessons can be learned from and eventually are healed by time, but they are still mostly negative in their actions. The planets are like people and Mars and Saturn just don't have good personalities. No, it doesn't mean they're all bad, but they are bad.

Every planet has a high and low expression of its energy. I firmly believe that one of the main good reasons for using astrology is that we can foresee what energy will be affecting us when, and we can to a large extent use our free will to determine how we will use the energy.
For example, when Mars hits the I/C it will be bringing lots of energy and drive into the home. This could manifest as arguments, fights, or conflict. Or, we could channel that energy more constructively by getting the family involved in something dynamic like home improvements, gardening, or taking a martial arts class.
Believe me I know Saturn has a repressive side, but Saturn also brings with it essential energies like discipline, organization, responsibility, loyalty.

Even though Jupiter isn't considered a "malefic", I've seen Jupiter transits go along with some really bad things in people's lives. Like; overextending financially followed by bankruptcy, overindulging poor dietary habits that lead to health issues, problems related to alcoholism, liver problems, etc...

To me, every planet is neutral until I see variables that show me otherwise.

unusual_suspect

Every planet has a high and low expression of its energy. I firmly believe that one of the main good reasons for using astrology is that we can foresee what energy will be affecting us when, and we can to a large extent use our free will to determine how we will use the energy.
For example, when Mars hits the I/C it will be bringing lots of energy and drive into the home. This could manifest as arguments, fights, or conflict. Or, we could channel that energy more constructively by getting the family involved in something dynamic like home improvements, gardening, or taking a martial arts class.
Believe me I know Saturn has a repressive side, but Saturn also brings with it essential energies like discipline, organization, responsibility, loyalty.

Even though Jupiter isn't considered a "malefic", I've seen Jupiter transits go along with some really bad things in people's lives. Like; overextending financially followed by bankruptcy, overindulging poor dietary habits that lead to health issues, problems related to alcoholism, liver problems, etc...

To me, every planet is neutral until I see variables that show me otherwise.

I am completely with you on that, Mars can bring energy and drive which can be highly constructive just as Saturn encourages us to get real about a situation. As you point out, even Jupiter has it's downside.

As each planet has a rulership over different houses and signs, to say that a house which is ruled by a malefic is problematic is like saying that the sign of Capricorn is problematic. As no signs are good or bad - just different; this does not ring true to me.

Like you say, I think astrology helps us to forsee potential problems so we can have a strategy for what is likely to arise ahead of time, will you become hostile and aggressive during a Mars transit, or will you channel your energy into that area of your life? I totally agree about the low and high expression when it comes to astrology.