Which planet rules the chart?

Claire19

Here's an interesting notion. I can guess a person's MAs ercury sign with say 90% accuracy 8)

When I first started doing astrology, I was focused on Sun signs (so novice, huh? :roll: ). I figured a good way to learn was to try to guess the Sun sign of the person after a few conversations. My guess was wrong about the Sun sign a lot of the time, but I noticed that what I thought was the Sun sign was almost always the Mercury sign. So I started playing with that. After a few conversations with a person I'd start to guess the sign they strike me as the most then check the placement Mercury. I am almost always right :!:

Now, I don't know if Mercury has this much effect on a person or I just find easy to feel the Mercury vibe since it is the ruling planet in my chart. Does the same thing happen to you?

As Mercury is the planet of conversation then I can see how you may pick that one. I find that often the Sun sign is the same anyway as they are so close. It is interesting to see how a Leo Mercury will use words like "shine" "good as gold" "hearty".

Mercury in Capricorn will say "how is it going, son?" "top that one.", Gets on my goat."

Taurus Mercury can use words like "bulldust" "steady as she goes" "rooted."

Pisces will say "go with the flow". "Feeling like I am drowning" "Good Lord!" . "Out of my depth."

Last edited:

chris

I keep reading different things and I'm getting confused. Is the natal chart ruler the ruler of the sun sign, the ruler of the rising sign or the ruler of the sign with the most planets?

I used to see the final dispositors the areas of life where all the energy is expressed through. If the Moon was the final dispositor of everything, I would say that every other planet in the chain expresses itself through the emotions. Astrolog gives you the dispositor graphs if you want to look at them,

As for the chart ruler discussion, the ruler of the ASC flavors the chart in favor of your rising sign. My ASC ruler is Jupiter, so everything in the chart gets an expansive nature. I may be wrong, but when interpreting charts, I would always add that bit in. (I do it for friends sometimes, just basic readings)

chris

In your case, Chris, your ascendant ruler and almuten are one in the same, which is why you see everything in a kind of Jupiterian way. In most charts, that isn't the case, though.

So, is the 'chart ruler' the almuten or the ruler of the ascendant? I have noticed that the ascendant ruler colors the rest of the chart. If Venus is the ascendant ruler, they see beauty in everything. If the ascendant ruler is Saturn, then they have a pessimistic view on life. I have Jupiter on the ascendant, so I have an expansive view on everything (There is always more than whats really there)

I have always considered the chart ruler to be the ascendant ruler because of the effect on how they view life.

Flowergirl

I've also been wondering about what the chart ruler really is the last few days and now this thread has come up. :joyful: I've been doing a bit of googling and there is a wide variety of ideas. Sometimes I think the internet is a misinformation station. :andy:

I've always felt that the ASC or Rising Sign and its ruling Planet has a major influence throughout the whole incarnation...
Second to the Ascendent and its ruling planet, I feel the Sun Sign and its ruling Planet is the next hierarchical power so to speak.

Anyway, another interesting thing that I read somewhere on the net, is that the chart ruler can also be the planet that has the most aspects by looking at the number of lines connected with that planet in the natal chart. I'm sure this may not be the case for everyone but in my case the two planets with the most aspects (5 lines) are Uranus (my Aquarius Asc) and Neptune (my Pisces sun). I find this quite interesting and baffling. My mum and husband's chart isn't quite as clearcut as mine. I suppose there is always going to be a variety of approaches to this. :unsure: It's confusing.

Claire19

I keep reading different things and I'm getting confused. Is the natal chart ruler the ruler of the sun sign, the ruler of the rising sign or the ruler of the sign with the most planets?
Some people say that the chart ruler is sometimes not the ascendant ruler but I disagree. So the chart ruler is designated by your rising sign and the planet that rules it. The filter for the whole chart and uniquely yours as designated by your time of birth. The aspects to that chart ruler planet will be the main focus for your life.

Last edited:

Claire19

I've also been wondering about what the chart ruler really is the last few days and now this thread has come up. :joyful: I've been doing a bit of googling and there is a wide variety of ideas. Sometimes I think the internet is a misinformation station. :andy:

If you have Aquarius rising then Uranus aspects are very important.
You can have planets that are heavily aspected and are important but still not the chart ruler.

Th

Anyway, another interesting thing that I read somewhere on the net, is that the chart ruler can also be the planet that has the most aspects by looking at the number of lines connected with that planet in the natal chart. I'm sure this may not be the case for everyone but in my case the two planets with the most aspects (5 lines) are Uranus (my Aquarius Asc) and Neptune (my Pisces sun). I find this quite interesting and baffling. My mum and husband's chart isn't quite as clearcut as mine. I suppose there is always going to be a variety of approaches to this. :unsure: It's confusing.
If you have Aquarius rising then Uranus aspects are very important as it is your chart ruler. You can have other planets heavily aspected but they are not the chart ruler....... The net is full of misinformation and the best thing you can do is learn at least the basics of astrology through a reputable site that offers them free. You can then make your own judgements.

I

Claire19

So, is the 'chart ruler' the almuten or the ruler of the ascendant? I have noticed that the ascendant ruler colors the rest of the chart. If Venus is the ascendant ruler, they see beauty in everything. If the ascendant ruler is Saturn, then they have a pessimistic view on life. I have Jupiter on the ascendant, so I have an expansive view on everything (There is always more than whats really there)

I have always considered the chart ruler to be the ascendant ruler because of the effect on how they view life.
THe reason that things are seen in the Jupiteranian way is because Sagittarius is rising. Quite simple....Depending on the aspects to that Jupiter.... This principle applies to everyone regardless of what other planets are heavily aspected or whatever...

chris

THe reason that things are seen in the Jupiteranian way is because Sagittarius is rising. Quite simple....Depending on the aspects to that Jupiter.... This principle applies to everyone regardless of what other planets are heavily aspected or whatever...

I see the chart ruler as a color for the rest of the chart. Everything else is Jupitarian in nature, no matter where it is. The rising sign is one of the first things I look at in a chart, for sakes of the chart ruler.

Claire19

The natal chart ruler is the planet that rules the ascendant. Its aspects give much of the personality's life direction, persona and appearance.

Planets in the 1st house however, are very strong and can eclipse the mere chart ruler.

Claire19

This can be true in a general way. Sagittarius rising tends to be taller, bigger, louder and more optimistic than say Capricorn rising for instance.
Venus as the ascendant ruler often makes for a most attractive person, pleasant in manner and peaceable.

CapAquaPis

Here are the zodiac signs and their ruling planets/celestial bodies (the 1st or ruling, 2nd or co-ruler and 3rd-domicile or decan, with my own interpretation of detrimental, exaltation and fall/weak). Each sign has about ten of them with the first three with most influence.

ARIES: Mars, Pluto, Venus, the Sun, Saturn, Jupiter, Cruithne, Uranus, Eris, the Moon, Pluto's moon Charon, Mercury, and "east" or "west Points".
TAURUS: Venus, Ceres, Mars, the Moon, Saturn, Uranus, Cruithne, Jupiter, Eris, the Sun, Mercury, and "east point" or Charon.
GEMINI: Mercury, Eris, Jupiter, Venus, Sedna, North (or south) Node(s), Mars, Uranus, Pluto, the Moon, Cruithne, and Lilith.
CANCER: The Moon, Ceres, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, Venus, Neptune, Cruithne, the Sun, and True Node.
LEO: The Sun (our closest star), Saturn, Neptune, Mars, Uranus, Lilith, Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, Xena, Eris, the Moon, and True Node or Mercury.
VIRGO: Mercury (some declare it an exalting planet), Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, True Node, the Moon, Ceres, Chiron, Lilith, Eris, Mars, and "west Point".
LIBRA: Venus, Eris, Mars, Saturn, the Sun, the Moon, True Node, Chiron, Cruithne, Jupiter, "west point" or Mercury, and Pluto's moon Charon.
SCORPIO: Mars, Pluto (+Charon), Venus, Uranus, the Sun, the Moon, Saturn, Neptune, Sedna, Lilith, Chiron, "west Point" or Mercury, and Jupiter.
SAGITTARIUS: Jupiter, Neptune, Mercury, the Sun, south (or North) Nodes, Mars, Uranus, Saturn, Pluto, Lilith, Eris, Cruithne, and Venus or Sedna.
CAPRICORN: Saturn, Uranus, the Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, True Node, Xena, Sedna, "west point" or the Sun, and Cruithne.
AQUARIUS: Uranus, Saturn, the Sun, Mercury, Mars, Neptune, Jupiter, Pluto, Xena, Sedna, Eris, the Moon or True Node, and Venus.
PISCES: Neptune, Jupiter, Mercury (some declare it a "fall" planet), Venus, Mars, the Moon, Lilith, Chiron, Pluto (+Charon), Sedna, the Sun, and Saturn or "East Point".

The four "new" signs theorotically by some other astrologers due to the sidereal or astronomically correct zodiac system:
OPHIUCHUS+SERPEN(TARIU)S: the Sun, the Moon, True Node, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Pluto's moon Charon, Eris, Ceres, Chiron, Lilith, and Mercury or Cruithne.
ORION: The Sun, the Moon, Mars, Uranus, Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Chiron, True Node, Cruithne, Eris, Sedna, and Saturn or Xena.
CETUS: The Moon, the Sun, Neptune, Pluto's moon Charon, North (or South) Nodes, Eris, Ceres, Sedna, Xena, Lilith, Saturn, Mars, and Mercury or Cruithne.
CORVUS/CRATER/DRACO/ORPHEUS DE HYDRA (?) The Moon, the Sun, Mars, Saturn, Chiron, Sedna, Xena, Lilith, Pluto, True Node, and/or the South (or North) Nodes.

Theories abound on the rulership affect from five more celestial objects: The Galactic Center for Aries/Taurus/Orion, the Earth for Virgo/Libra/Orphus or Ophiuchus, the Messier or Virgo supercluster for Aquarius/Pisces/Cetus, the Andromeda Galaxy or the Casseiopiea cluster for Gemini/Cancer/Leo, and the antipodial galactic center (the Pleaides?) for Scorpio/Sagittarius/Capricorn.
The Sun and/or Moon are known to cross through parazodiac constellations of Andromeda/Pegasus, Perseus, Auriga, Sextans, Lynx, Lupus/Centaurus, Scutum, Fomalhaute, and Aquila on some occassions.

But the Decans or the one-thirds of the degree month table of planetary Decanates-according to William Lilly, the 17th century English astrologer- are also organized as shown (first 0-10 degree, second 10-20 deg. and third 20-30 deg.). The faces of the planets in dignity astrology, without the additional 3 to 6 "planets" discovered or classified in the following 4 centuries (the additions of Uranus or Neptune undecided, unless somebody on here are able to determine the additional co-ruling planets for each degrees). In my case, I have a Venus (1 Aquarius sidereal) or a Mars (26 degree Aquarius) decan:

ARIES: Mars, Sun and Venus; TAURUS: Mercury, Moon and Saturn; GEMINI: Jupiter, Mars and Sun;
CANCER: Venus, Mercury and Moon; LEO: Saturn, Jupiter and Mars; VIRGO: Sun, Venus and Mercury;
LIBRA: Moon, Saturn and Jupiter; SCORPIO: Mars, Sun and Venus; SAGITTARIUS: Mercury, Moon & Saturn;
CAPRICORN: Jupiter, Mars & Sun; AQUARIUS: Venus, Mercury and Mars; PISCES: Saturn, Jupiter and Mars.

For examples with 20-29 Aries has a Perseus part; while Taurus has a Hyades part (0-10 deg), then a Pleiades part (10-20 deg) & finally an Auriga part (20-30 deg).

From the wikipedia.org article on Decans
Notice that rulerships follow a repeating pattern, the so-called "Chaldaean" order of the planets: Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon and the so-called 8th planet (Nibiru?). This planetary order, in which the Sun stands at the center of the continuum, with the planets between the Sun and the Earth on one side and the outer planets on the other side, reflected the perception of the speed of each planet's motion as seen from the Earth. Decans or "faces" are the least important of the essential dignities, representing about one-fifteenth of a planet's overall strength in medieval astrology.

Last edit and final statement on the topic: Uranus was occassionally seen by the naked eye in a very dark clear night sky, and something about Pluto (the IAU declared Charon to be a "double/binary planetoid") and Neptune were mistaken for being moons of Jupiter or Saturn by Galileo's telescope about 400 years ago: they had irregular orbits or closer to the earth in the past when the Mesopotamian civilizations (i.e. Sumeria, Akkadia or Chaldea) existed from 3000-5000 years ago.

EDIT: I made this post 3 years ago (can't believe I found it tonight!) The only thing I disagree now is I'm for the idea of Eris co-rulership of Taurus and Gemini, and Ceres co-rulership of Virgo and Libra. There should be considerations of asteroids Juno, Pallas and Vesta if they have any rulerships of the astrological zodiac, if so I would know which signs they could affect.

Last edited:

Claire19

I think this situation changes from time to time.
The planet that rules the ascendant is the ruling planet for the chart.
However if there is a planet in the 1st house that is also very strong but not the ruler. It may be more evident at first impression.

The aspects to the rising sign planet will give a bigger picture of life focus and our persona.

CapAquaPis

AQUARIUS: Venus, Mercury and MOON. - I corrected the last part, unless I went by a different source on this matter. Astrological information seem to vary from source to source, but I'm going by the said main decans of Aquarius I received from sources like books and the internet. The Moon for late Aquarius (20-29 deg.) should make us more emotional, then I have no doubt if Mars ever plays a role to gave Late Aquarians a tough reputatore.

Vyri

Banned
There are a couple of important paragraphs that explain why the Ascendant is considered an eventful interpretation of our selves all during our tenancy here upon the earth. I am quoting here not being able to adequately espouse it in the proper way.
When reading any chart it is found by observation that the sign rising or ascending on the eastern horizon when a child is born is the principal factor in determining the basic constitution/personal traits of personality/physical body. When the seed atom is planted in the ovum, the Moon, which is the cosmic agent of fecundation projects its fertilizing ray through the sign and degree which later rises at the moment of birth, and for this reason the rising sign and degree continues to influence and build the body of the individual until the severance of the umbilical cord, and the nature of the rising sign is thus indelibly stamped upon the new vehicle and retained all through life. Properly viewed the Sun, Moon and Ascendant are not really three separate principals in reading the most important developing equations in our charts or as deciding which is the most important planet to be considered as ruler of the map but represent a blending and which united represent the constitution of the human being within his/her developing psychological makeup. The rising sign and the principal underlying ruler of the first house and where he is deposited (Mars) together with the rising sign ruler form an avenue for the fecundating influences of the Moon which there crystallize and form the etheric matrix that molds and nourishes the physical particles from the maternal body into a new vehicle; hence the astrological maxim that the ascendant at birth or its opposite is the Moon's place at conception/reception. A very important consideration of human clay developing in a world of earth and clay influence.
In a metaphysical way it brings to mind the either as it leaves the body at death as some say one may view the enbilical cord as it is released from the cooling flesh in dispersal of atoms or ectoplasm heat. The other and immortal part of composite man/woman which consists of the Devine Ego and its finer vehicles represented by the Sun and the Moon together giving play or description unto our Ascendant.
I truly appreciated all of the personal insights above on this very fine learning board.
Sincerely
Vyri

Last edited:

dr. farr

For me, if there is any final dispositor for all chart planets, I consider it the ruler of the nativity regardless of its state of dignity; if there is no ultimate final dispositor, then I consider the most elevated planet to be the ruler unless it is essentially detrimented; if so, then I consider the dispositor of the asc sign the ruler, unless it is essentially detrimented; if so then I consider the most essentially dignified planet the ruler of the nativity.

geminimercury

For me, if there is any final dispositor for all chart planets, I consider it the ruler of the nativity regardless of its state of dignity; if there is no ultimate final dispositor, then I consider the most elevated planet to be the ruler unless it is essentially detrimented; if so, then I consider the dispositor of the asc sign the ruler, unless it is essentially detrimented; if so then I consider the most essentially dignified planet the ruler of the nativity.

I agreed, to me the overall ruler of the chart is the final dispositor and the planet that CAN ACT. I will use my chart as an example. YOu can look at the dispositor below of my chart too.

First look at this, pic below:

image-5.png

Let start out with my Ascendant, there is something call BLIND Ascendant Lord.
My Ascendant, 1st house ruler in 12th AVERSION to the Ascendant, 1st house ruler turn away from the Asc and refused to have anything to do with the Asc. My Ascendant cannot see that Moon, it cannot see cannot witness each others due to the Aversion.

My Gemini Moon turn away from the Ascendant refused to have anything to do with my Asc, and the Moon rule by 1st house, but it is BLIND Ascendant Lord, that Moon refused to have to anything to do with my Asc.
Now let look at the condition of the ruler of my Moon, which is MERCURY. My Mercury (which rule by Gemini Moon), is in a bad state, it in it FALL and Detriment. And that Mercury get Trine by both Malefics Mars and Saturn.

In Hellenistic, my Moon which AVERSION to my Ascendant and in 12th house, it too weak to rule anything, because if the Moon is AVERSION to it own Asc and in 12th house, the weakest house of all the houses, that Moon is too weak to hold the LIFE force of the WHOLE chart.

Now let look at my chart, I use mine as an example.

You see the dispositor? Mars disposed everything. My Saturn in Scorpio which rule by my natal Mars in Scorpio, I don't count the outer generational planet Scorpio Pluto here, so that pack is rule by Mars. Natal Scorpio Mars disposed both Scorpio Saturn and Scorpio Pluto.

I already talk above about BLIND Ascendant Lord, Gemini Moon in 12th is AVERSION to my Ascendant, that Moon is too weak, in the 12th house is already bad enough, BUT look at the ruler of that Moon, Mercury, and where my Mercury? In Pisces which in it FALL and DETRIMENT.
This Peregrine Gemini Moon rule by a FALL and Detriment Pisces Mercury is no position to talk to a Domicile Scorpio Mars by strength.

-----------
Now let go to by Venus. My Venus is also AVERSION to my Asc. Remember 8th housed is AVERSION to 1st house. Aquarius Venus---a Saturn ruled Venus Without Triplicity support. Venus in the sign Aquarius is rule by SATURN.

I have Scorpio Mars, Scorpio Saturn, Scorpio Pluto conjunction in 5th, the pack is lead by his Mars. Mars and Saturn in 5th Square his Aquarius Venus in 8th, my Venus in Mars bound/term and decan, she get Square by Scorpio Mars HARD exactly at 0 orb, then also get Square by her Ruler Scorpio Saturn. This is an abuse Venus and hand-tie.
This Venus cannot help my Asc due to the Aversion but also get square by BOTH Malefics Scorpio Mars and Scorpio Saturn.

I study Hellenistic so I use Egyptian term/bound table. My Sun, Mercury and Venus all in MARS bound. Meaning it has to perform under MARS rule.
Who rule my Aries MC? Mars. There no dispute here that Aries MC point to Mars and it my Scorpio Mars that rule that MC line. MC line is the highest point in your chart, it where your ACTIONS and your reputation is. Mars has that in my chart.

Mars and Saturn both Trine my Sun and Mercury and Ascendant too. Look at the dispositor tree, Mars disposed everything, he is the SOLE and Final Dispositor.

Now let talk about Triplicity, Cancer Asc, Pisces Sun is WATER Trigon Triplicty. And that is Venus, Mars, Moon.
Now look at my chart. My Sun and water Ascendant can only see it water Triplicity ruler in 5th Scorpio Mars which TRINE my Ascendant 1st house (as both Moon and Venus in is an Air sign and AVERSION to his Asc).

Sorry, I have Aquarius Venus, not Pisces Venus. Aquarius is an Air sign do NOT have Triplicity in Water Trigon. So my Venus do not have triplicity.
Same with my Moon, Gemini Moon is an Air sign do not have Triplicity in Water Trigon. Look at my Moon sign, it in Gemini, NOT Cancer. So my Moon do not have Triplicity.

Now look at my Scorpio Mars. There no dispute here that this Scorpio Mars is the ONLY Triplicity Lord that my Ascendant can see, he is his domicile sign, has Triplicity over my Asc.

And here is my Dispositor tree. An astrologer hand draw it for me.

Last edited:

Claire19

My view is the ruling planet of the ascendant is the chart ruler, the aspects to that planet will give a fuller picture. In my case Neptune in Libra rules conjunct Mars and Venus and I exhibit those characteristics strongly. A planet in the 1st house will over rule or eclipse a mere rising sign. There are other theories but I adhere to this view. You would have to discern for yourself what works for you once you are more practised. We also look body image of the 1st and health issues can seen there, particularly in from the early years.

Last edited:

Claire19

As Mercury is the planet of conversation then I can see how you may pick that one. I find that often the Sun sign is the same anyway as they are so close. It is interesting to see how a Leo Mercury will use words like "shine" "good as gold" "hearty".

Mercury in Capricorn will say "how is it going, son?" "top that one.", Gets on my goat."

Taurus Mercury can use words like "bulldust" "steady as she goes" "rooted."

Pisces will say "go with the flow". "Feeling like I am drowning" "Good Lord!" . "Out of my depth."
I find when expressing emotions the Moon sign will be quite evident. Taurus Moon "bullshit" "on the money" "worth a million bucks". Often the rising sign will express i.e. Pisces "out of my depth" "My God!" "are you crazy" Aries rising "heading off" , 'NO. 1''' "Hold on to your hat!"
Gemini rising ie "I am in two minds" "He is two faced."