Exaltations in Natal Charts

Kitchy

Banned
I've been reading some material on exaltations and am curious to know how others view them when looking at natal's. I tend to see them similar to domicile planets in a natal chart.

What are the differences that you see between the two?

Also when an exalted planet is aspecting a domicile planet - which planet holds the most strength in the matching?

AppLeo

I've been reading some material on exaltations and am curious to know how others view them when looking at natal's. I tend to see them similar to domicile planets in a natal chart.

What are the differences that you see between the two?

The domicile planets are in their home base. They're comfortable and manifest exactly how they want to, except, I think planets in their home base can take themselves too far. Planets that are exalted don't really experience any negatives or downsides--only the good. They only get the good stuff of the planet. That's what I think.

Sun in Leo takes it too far with their ego. Sun in Aries just does themselves.

Moon in Cancer feels everything, but Moon in Taurus always feel comfortable.

Mercury in Gemini can say things as it pleases, but Mercury in Virgo is able to say the right things at the right time.

Venus in Libra has it all in relationships, but Venus in Pisces only experiences relationships through rose-colored glasses.

Mars in Aries can take action whenever it wants, but Mars in Capricorn makes mars less impulsive. Capricorn gives Mars a goal.

Also when an exalted planet is aspecting a domicile planet - which planet holds the most strength in the matching?

I'd say the exalted planet. Or the planet with the lowest degree in general. Like how all aspects decide which has the strength based on degree.

JUPITERASC

TRADITIONALLY

The strongest rulership is the dominion of the planets over the signs of the zodiac.
Ptolemy and most early authors referred to the signs as the 'houses' of the planets
because the signs where the planets held their rulerships were regarded as their natural homes.
In symbolic application, a planet is in its strongest position when it is in its own home :smile:
In war and sport it's easy to see how the advantage goes
to those who operate in their own territory and familiar ground
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig3.html

Lilly noted that in judgement, a planet or significator is in its own sign:

'....…represents a man in such a condition, as that he is Lord of his own house, estate and fortune
or a man wanting very little of the Goods of this world, or it tells you the man is in a very happy state or condition...'

For the philosophical reasoning that lies beneath the structure of sign rulership
read the accompanying article
The Philosophy of Sign Rulership.

Oddity

In war, exaltation is generally seen as stronger. In most charts it depends on the chart. Which planet is going to be stronger, the exalted planet in 1, or the domiciled planet in 6?

What if everything is cadent except a peregrine planet on the MC?

Also remember that what is good for a planet is not always good for a person.

Apart from that, all things being equal, planets in either domicile or exaltation express themselves well and can bring things about.

IleneK

Premium Member
I like the metaphor of the planet in domicile as the master of his home.
The exalted planet is a guest in a home, so may be treated with special regard as such, but clearly the master of the home experiences a more far reaching benefit.

JUPITERASC

After its own sign
the next best place for a planet to be
is in its sign of exaltation :smile:
In symbolic terms this is comparable to being an honoured guest
in someone else's home.
There is not the same level of freedom or strength as when a planet is in its own sign
but it shows a dignified position, often indicating a person of respect or rank
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig3.html
One has only to consider the meaning of the word 'exalted'
to understand the use of this dignity in judgement.

The 12th century Hebrew astrologer, Ibn Ezra
said that a planet in its own exaltation

"is like a man in the pinnacle of his rank",

while Lilly less flatteringly notes that:

"presents a person of haughty condition, arrogant, assuming more unto him then his due".

AppLeo

WAIT, is there such thing as 2nd best exaltation.

The hierarchy for Sun is..

Sun in Leo (home base)
Sun in Aries (exaltation)
Sun in... Sagittarius?? (2nd best exaltation)

JUPITERASC

WAIT, is there such thing as 2nd best exaltation.
Not for Traditional Astrology
The hierarchy for Sun is..
Sun in Leo (home base)
Sun in Aries (exaltation)
Those are both ESSENTIAL DIGNITIES for the Sun
Sun in... Sagittarius??
(2nd best exaltation)
Sun is not Exalted in Sagittarius
Sun is Diurnal Triplicity ruler of Sagittarius
and so
a night chart Sagittarius Sun is peregrine
:smile:

GregoryRozek-astrological-tables-01.png

Kitchy

Banned
Thank you folks for the good info.

What are your thoughts on close aspects btwn an exalted planet and domicile planet? Venus Pisces sextile Saturn Cap, as an example. Does Saturn have the strength in this aspect or might Venus?

AppLeo

What are your thoughts on close aspects btwn an exalted planet and domicile planet? Venus Pisces sextile Saturn Cap, as an example. Does Saturn have the strength in this aspect or might Venus?

The planet in the lowest degree, or Saturn because it's a generational planet. Generational planets always seem to be doing the affecting ran than being the affected.

Jehan

I would say that this combination depends on whether it is a diurnal or nocturnal chart. In addition is Saturn Cadent and Venus Angular or vice versa? ... Or succedent or angular or succedent or Cadent. Is Either planet in a house of their joy?

Last edited:

Kitchy

Banned
Venus is above horizon in natal chart on 8/9 cusp (3 minutes into 9th)
Saturn is below horizon in natal chart in 6th house
both planets aspect Jupiter in 6th by conjunction/sextile.

Because both are sextile in my chart, and one is exalted and one in domicile - I have never really been able to distinguish difference btween the two of them in my chart. They seem to act as one.

JUPITERASC

I would say that this combination depends on whether it is a diurnal or nocturnal chart.
In addition is Saturn Cadent and Venus Angular or vice versa?
... Or succedent or angular or succedent or Cadent.
Is Either planet in a house of their joy?
Pisces Venus is in Jupiters domicile
Capricorn is not only Saturns domicile but is also Mars exaltation
so Mars and Venus location are additional factors to consider :smile:
the natal chart under discussion needs to be viewed for clarification
Venus is above horizon in natal chart on 8/9 cusp (3 minutes into 9th)
Saturn is below horizon in natal chart in 6th house
both planets aspect Jupiter in 6th by conjunction/sextile.

Because both are sextile in my chart, and one is exalted and one in domicile
- I have never really been able to distinguish difference btween the two of them in my chart. They seem to act as one.
Which house system are you using?

Kitchy

Banned
Pisces Venus is in Jupiters domicile
Capricorn is not only Saturns domicile but is also Mars exaltation
so Mars and Venus location are additional factors to consider :smile:
the natal chart under discussion needs to be viewed for clarification

Which house system are you using?

thanks jupiter -

i use placidus system.

venus' placement would change in whole or equal house from cusp of 9th to dedicated 8th.

i understand your earlier analogy of the esteemed guest in the house of domicile - host rules the roost - but it seems in cases where the exalted planet is placed - the potential for the planet's "all mighty royal" affect and effect could mitigate the power of the house and have his or her royal way regardless.

Attachments

• Kitchy.gif
    Kitchy.gif
    61.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

JUPITERASC

thanks jupiter -

i use placidus system.

venus' placement would change in whole or equal house from cusp of 9th to dedicated 8th.

i understand your earlier analogy of the esteemed guest in the house of domicile - host rules the roost
- but it seems in cases where the exalted planet is placed
- the potential for the planet's "all mighty royal" affect and effect
could mitigate the power of the house and have his or her royal way regardless.
Interesting that your birth occurred literally eight minutes before the sun sank below the horizon :smile:
so it is a day chart

Venus, Moon and Mars are "anti team native"
Sun, Jupiter and Saturn are "for team native"

Exalted Venus
acting "all mighty royal" has high expectations of ruling the roost in Jupiters abode
however
Venus is nevertheless a guest
and as such
is reliant on the resources of her host, beneficent Jupiter

But Jupiter is away from home visiting sect-mate Saturns home territory, Capricorn
and
Jupiter is in fall in Capricorn - the direct opposite of exalted

as such Jupiter has limited resources, particularly since Saturn tends to be somewhat stingy
thus, Jupiter regretfully has little to offer a demanding exalted Venus back home living the highlife in his abode
Venus
at 22 Pisces is additionally dignified by being daytime Triplicity Ruler of Pisces
and is emailing Jupiter with "right royal demands"
But Jupiter is a drifter in Saturns home where Saturn is as ever keen to act frugal
Despire Saturn having far more resources than Jupiter
Jupiter at 19 Capricorn is down on his luck peregrine and dependent on stingy Saturn

Incidentally unless there is retrogradiation
a Jupiter Saturn conjunction occurs once every twenty years

Every 40th conjunction brings the alignment back to within about 1 degree of its starting place
an approximate 800 year cycle that is termed the second order recurrence
astrologically known as the Great Mutation cycle.

Jupiter and Saturn were named the "Great Chronocrators" by astrologers of ancient times.

Kitchy

Banned
OH MY GAWD!!!

I hope people were witnessing this. Jupiter just actually read a chart - my chart - and I am humbled and awe struck.

Thank you Jupiter - kiss marks from lipstick on collars and cheeks and wrists.

Venus has a chance to take 100 grand and Saturn holds 300 grand - telling Venus - there's more where that came from.

Saturn is saying - take the money and run!!!!"

Venus loves Saturn but worry's over his well being after she's gone. He is a morose individual, you know....

Jupiter actually saves the day.

He can have a baby at 52 with a 30 year old hoddy based on his body and I can disappear into an island paradise as my Venus ruled 4th and Moon ruled 12th has always wanted to.

So, who wins out?

xoxo to Jupiter for reading that traditional chart question.

p.s. where in chart do you see that I will never travel to or from the island by boat because i have recurrent dreams of drowing alone in the middle of the ocean? because I am all about chronologing time - I have Moon ruled Mars and Saturn in domicile with Jupiter in 6th.

Is there any better time chronologer than me? Maybe Ruth or Methuzalah.

Last edited:

Kitchy

Banned
Jupiter - I forgot to ask -

Interesting that your birth occurred literally eight minutes before the sun sank below the horizon :smile:

What does that Mars Cancer - ruler of solar dignity and moon right ;) - moon ruled and Mars ruler of 10th have to say about why I decided to come out at 3 degrees prior to being locked in 12th forever?

Even in looking at the angles - and initiatives preceding their initiative, I wonder about exalted planet in the quandrants of those "who look pretty but will end up killing me" -

Where is exalted planets greatest strength in a chart - by natal chart or transit or proxy?

One who believes in the underdog?

Everyone who believes in Pisces....

Venus exalted by attraction. Whether it makes them spit or cling to for life.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

OH MY GAWD!!!

I hope people were witnessing this. Jupiter just actually read a chart - my chart - and I am humbled and awe struck.

Thank you Jupiter - kiss marks from lipstick on collars and cheeks and wrists.

Venus has a chance to take 100 grand and Saturn holds 300 grand - telling Venus - there's more where that came from.

Saturn is saying - take the money and run!!!!"

Venus loves Saturn but worry's over his well being after she's gone. He is a morose individual, you know....

Jupiter actually saves the day.

He can have a baby at 52 with a 30 year old hoddy based on his body and I can disappear into an island paradise as my Venus ruled 4th and Moon ruled 12th has always wanted to.

So, who wins out?

xoxo to Jupiter for reading that traditional chart question.

p.s. where in chart do you see that I will never travel to or from the island by boat because i have recurrent dreams of drowing alone in the middle of the ocean? because I am all about chronologing time - I have Moon ruled Mars and Saturn in domicile with Jupiter in 6th.

Is there any better time chronologer than me? Maybe Ruth or Methuzalah.

on an online internet forum there's no time to fully read any chart
so that's just a preliminary comment on Venus potential resources :smile:

to continue.....
Venus at 22 Pisces in 8th Whole Sign House is located in a house of debt and fear
resources may be in the form of debt incurred to maintain milady in the style to which she is accustomed
and are not in the interests of the native

Venus is received by a temporaily homeless Jupiter - milady chucked him out after a tiff
undignified Jupiter sought refuge with stingy Saturn known for being well-heeled & keen to loan plus interest charges

Meanwhile milady Venus also finds reception from Mars by term and face

Jupiter - I forgot to ask -

What does that Mars Cancer - ruler of solar dignity and moon right ;) - moon ruled and Mars ruler of 10th have to say about why I decided to come out at 3 degrees prior to being locked in 12th forever?

Even in looking at the angles - and initiatives preceding their initiative, I wonder about exalted planet in the quandrants of those "who look pretty but will end up killing me" -

Where is exalted planets greatest strength in a chart - by natal chart or transit or proxy?

One who believes in the underdog?

Everyone who believes in Pisces....

Venus exalted by attraction. Whether it makes them spit or cling to for life.
Cancer ascendant passed by just sixteen minutes previously......
important therefore that time of birth is reliable
presumably midwife and medical team were gazing at intently their watches :smile:
in preference to attending to the health, safety and wellbeing of the mother and the newborn

Kitchy

Banned
Jupiter - my mom was an avid astrologer and was certain of my time of birth 5:03 pm. At least by her report. I was given the middle name Esther exalted star. I am 99.9% certain that my birthtime is correct. My mom, brother and sister were born with blue & green eyes. Mine were dark as pools, my mom said. I see that as Mars Cancer in my chart - already at war with family in a way - separating myself early? My brother used to refer to me as Maleficent (from Sleeping Beauty).

Adding on - you summed up the inter-tangle of my venus jupiter saturn - which you pretty much nailed as a life theme of mine. Other people's money, never my own, if luxury and comfort is what I desire. This is what initiated my question of exaltation - and it pretty much confirms it - exalted in ability to attract what she desires, with all the "right royal demands" sent in writing or other ways. ;)

Last edited: