JUPITERASC

Harvard Faces DOJ Probe Over Affirmative-Action Policies
Justice Department accuses university
of failing to cooperate in investigation :smile:
of whether its admission policies discriminate against Asian-Americans
The Justice Department has opened an investigation into the use of race
in Harvard University’s admissions practices
and has accused the university of failing to cooperate with the probe
according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.
The Justice Department is investigating complaints
that formed the basis of a federal civil lawsuit filed in 2014 in Boston
according to the documents.
That suit alleges Harvard intentionally discriminates against Asian-Americans
by limiting the number of Asian students who are admitted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/harvard-faces-doj-probe-over-affirmative-action-policies-1511260380

AquarianRising

Is there a way to block posts from individual users? This obsession with info graphics and communist ideology is distracting from any actual conversation taking place. I don't mind reading opposing view points, but I'm not down with people shoving their monologue down my throat.

david starling

Is there a way to block posts from individual users? This obsession with info graphics and communist ideology is distracting from any actual conversation taking place. I don't mind reading opposing view points, but I'm not down with people shoving their monologue down my throat.

You can block anyone's Posts. But, if someone you haven't blocked quotes one from whoever you blocked, you'll see that particular Post, but none of the others.

david starling

Didn't she lie about being native american for personal gain?

There is some debate about it. But it not really about that. So, for sake of discussion, let's say she did.
Now, you stated it correctly, and if Trump had said that, no controversy. But he instead chose to use a well known and respected member of another culture to disparage someone who falsely claimed to be of that culture. Suppose a Caucasian portrayed himself as African American, to get something for himself. Would it be appropriate to start calling him Martin Luther King, or the name of some other prominent African American? I would label it "highly inappropriate". I realize Trump was disparaging Warren, not Pocahontas or her ethnic culture, but WHY "Pocahontas"?

david starling

It actually could be taken as a compliment to Warren, making her the Caucasian equivalent of highly respected Pocahontas, if you didn't know the context.