Afflicted ruler of 6th house

Jupiter, ruler of my 6th house Sagittarius, is highly afflicted in the 12th house. There is not one positive aspect to my other planets. I know this cannot be good for me. Does it mean I'll face high opposition from co-workers and family members? Or does it mean I'm prone to diseases? How can I overcome this?

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
Jupiter, ruler of my 6th house Sagittarius, is highly afflicted in the 12th house. There is not one positive aspect to my other planets. I know this cannot be good for me. Does it mean I'll face high opposition from co-workers and family members? Or does it mean I'm prone to diseases? How can I overcome this?

So you have Jupiter in Gemini? Benefics in the 12th can be positive. As to the rest, you really need to look at the whole chart. If Jupiter is in Gemini, where is Mercury? It must needs to define "highly afflicted." Is this a day or night chart? If a day chart, is Jupiter in hayz? What planets regard Jupiter, and from where? It is impossible to accurately define Jupiter in a chart without the chart...

Co-workers are ruled by the 3rd house. Family members are 3rd/4th house. 6th house is critical illnesses, and slaves (in a modern world, the people we pay to work for us. Perhaps you have problems with repairmen and plumbers?) Also, small animals. Maybe you'll be attacked by hens if you keep chickens? ;) You really need to post a chart to get your answers.

So you have Jupiter in Gemini? Benefics in the 12th can be positive. As to the rest, you really need to look at the whole chart. If Jupiter is in Gemini, where is Mercury? It must needs to define "highly afflicted." Is this a day or night chart? If a day chart, is Jupiter in hayz? What planets regard Jupiter, and from where? It is impossible to accurately define Jupiter in a chart without the chart...

Co-workers are ruled by the 3rd house. Family members are 3rd/4th house. 6th house is critical illnesses, and slaves (in a modern world, the people we pay to work for us. Perhaps you have problems with repairmen and plumbers?) Also, small animals. Maybe you'll be attacked by hens if you keep chickens? ;) You really need to post a chart to get your answers.

Jupiter is in Cancer. Exalted but afflicted. I would post my chart but I don't know how lol.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Afflicted in what way?

It appears that ariescancer's Jupiter
is either in 12th
or in 1st
dependent on whether one uses Whole Sign Houses or not

Chart, please?
Although there is a natal posted on another thread
it is unclear which house system is in use

EXCEPT
it is definitely NOT Whole Signs

Jupiter is in Cancer.
Exalted but afflicted.
I would post my chart but I don't know how lol.
ariescancer I note that you did do your best to post a natal chart
on another thread
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=547439#post547439
so maybe I can assist tsmall by referencing that chart on this thread for you :smile:
What I hate most is my sun, moon, and mercury in Aries. One or two planets in Aries is okay, but 3 is a little much. I feel it makes me so boring and one dimensional. Everyone else has these cool combinations and it makes me jealous. :( If I had been born a day earlier my moon would be Pisces, I feel like that would've given me more depth. But oh well, what can I do.

my chart from astrotheme.com
ZwLjZmR5BGNkZGR0ZQNjZQRjZQNkBQZ4BQV.png

Actually if I had been born 6 hours earlier my moon would be in Pisces. I still like to think I carry a little Pisces with me

JUPITERASC

by the way ariescancer
closer inspection of that astrotheme chart
shows that Jupiter is not in 12th after all
but is in 1st house
:smile:
furthermore
Jupiter is the traditional ruler of your Pisces MC
and is in trine by sign to that MC

dr. farr

Yes, by whole sign I would delineate Jupiter in the 1st house, exalted in Cancer; the only apparent affliction is a square from the Sun (of course the declinations would have to be checked as well)

What if a sign is on two house cusps? Aquarius rules my 8th and 9th house, so what house would you consider venus and mars in?

Wow, this whole sign house system really makes my chart look a whole lot different. I don't know how accurate it is though.

Last edited:

dr. farr

In whole sign (and in Equal house) a sign CANNOT be on 2 houses. Also, the sensitive point (original meaning of the word "cusp", ie the "point" of the house) is always projected from the ascending degree, into each subsequent house (eg, in the reference chart, since the ascending degree = 13 (of Cancer), the "cusp" (sensitive point ) of the 2nd house would be 13 Leo, or the 3rd house 13 Virgo, of the 4th house 13 Libra, etc etc (however, the whole sign houses do NOT begin at these "cusps"-each whole sign house BEGINS at o degrees of the sign of the house, and ends at 29:59 of the sign of the house; BUT the specially important "point" ("cusp") of a given house, is determined as I have just mentioned)

How accurate is this format??

That's for EACH person to determine by practical experiment; for ME after having used Placidus for over 30 years, when I began experimenting with whole signs (in the late 1990's) I obtained results which were (often) even more accurate than the good results I had obtained using Placidus: so I switched, and have not regretted doing so yet:wink:...

JUPITERASC

.....Wow, this whole sign house system really makes my chart look a whole lot different.

I don't know how accurate it is though.
the default house system on astro.com is Placidus
and many beginners assume it is the only house system

however

there are additional options on astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
that offer a choice from fourteen different house systems

Keep in mind
that

the house location of any natal planet is entirely dependent on the house system chosen
easily verified by using the previously mentioned selection of any of the fourteen different house systems

on offer at astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page

EXPLANATORY ASTROLOGICAL HOUSES ARTICLE http://www.librarising.com/astrology...ignhouses.html

'...In no other area of astrology is there so much mess and confusion than in the area of the so-called "houses".
There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity.
In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains,
represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable or meant the same thing.
A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries,
so that in effect. there were no real houses as we know them today
....'

historical note:

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope,
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed
or confused
as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites, for example,
were definite power points or areas of intense focus,
but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant.

In fact, there is no real basis for the astrological houses at all.
They derive from a misunderstanding of the true nature of the Ascendant and Midheaven factors in astrology,
Ascendant representing Earth/terrestial sphere, and Midheaven representing Sky/Heaven /celestial sphere....'

'...If any house system should be used at all, it should be the Whole Sign House system, where the ascendant sign becomes the whole first house and the others follow. Ascendant point can then fall anywhere in the first house and the midheaven point anywhere in the upper half of the chart. The Whole Sign House system was used by the ancient Greeks and the Hindus(who still use it today). It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence, and immediately eliminates the awful mess astrologers have made on the issue over the last 1300 years or so....'

WHOLE SIGN OR PLACIDUS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=39669

JUPITERASC

In whole sign
(and in Equal house)
a sign CANNOT be on 2 houses.

Also, the sensitive point (original meaning of the word "cusp", ie the "point" of the house) is always projected from the ascending degree, into each subsequent house

(eg, in the reference chart, since the ascending degree = 13 (of Cancer),
the "cusp" (sensitive point ) of the 2nd house would be 13 Leo,
or the 3rd house 13 Virgo,
of the 4th house 13 Libra, etc etc
(however, the whole sign houses do NOT begin at these "cusps"
-each whole sign house BEGINS at o degrees of the sign of the house,
and ends at 29:59 of the sign of the house;
BUT
the specially important "point"
("cusp")
of a given house,
is determined as I have just mentioned)

How accurate is this format??

That's for EACH person to determine by practical experiment;

for ME after having used Placidus for over 30 years,
when I began experimenting with whole signs
(in the late 1990's)
I obtained results which were (often) even more accurate than the good results I had obtained using Placidus:
so I switched,
and have not regretted doing so yet:wink:..

Previously, August 2011
dr. farr commented as follows
with an in-depth explanation of the use of Whole Sign Houses
Cusps:

Today
(and for the past thousand years or so)
we define cusps as "borders"
(coasts),
but that is not the original meaning of the word "cusp":

it means "point" such as cuspal teeth
(bicuspids)
and
the point of a sword
-so originally the term cusp meant the "point" of something,

and in astrology originally the "cusp" of the house meant its "point";

now, when quadrant systems were developed,
this "point" of the house came to mean its "beginning",
which later came to mean its "border",
ie, the "border" between one house and the other.

And later astrology also began using these "borders"
(cusps) for various prognostic applications
(Charles Carter came to believe that, for timing of events, the "cusps" of the Campanus house system gave the best results, among the various quadrant house systems)

But now notice this:
in whole sign
the cusps are NOT the 0 degree "borders" of sign/houses at all, and never were so regarded!

In whole sign,
the "cusp" retained its original meaning,
not as a "border"
but rather as A POINT
-and that POINT (cusp) for EACH house,
was the sensitive point of that house,
viz,
the sensitive point in whole sign houses -
each house
- that is the "cusp" of each house -
is a direct projection from the ascending degree.

Example:

-the ascending degree of a chart is 18 Taurus:
what are the house cusps
(sensitive points, original meaning of the word "cusp")
in the whole sign houses of this chart?

Cusp of 1st house = 18 Taurus
Cusp of 2nd house = 18 Gemini
Cusp of 3rd house = 18 Cancer
Cusp of 4th house = 18 Leo
Cusp of 5th house = 18 Virgo
Cusp of 6th house = 18 Libra
Cusp of 7th house = 18 Scorpio
Cusp of 8th house = 18 Sagittarius
Cusp of 9th house = 18 Capricorn
Cusp of 10th house = 18 Aquarius
Cusp of 11th house = 18 Pisces
Cusp of 12th house = 18 Aries

Now it is these "cusps"
(sensitive degrees, original meaning of the word "cusp" as a "point")
that are
(and were)
used for progressions, timing of events, etc,
and the fact is that they work for these purposes, quite well (in expert hands)

Whole sign does not use the BORDERS between houses (always 0 degree of any sign) for anything,
but it DOES use "cusps"
(points in the house, projected from the exact ascending degree)
for timing (and other) delineative purposes.

Whole sign suddenly vanished
(both in the West and in Vedic astrology)
during the same period of time
- ie, late 8th to early 9th century -
this sudden disappearance suggests a sudden turn in astrological thinking and practices,
rather than a gradual supplanting of a less effective traditional method
(whole sign)
by a new and more effective method (rheotrius/alchabitius in the West, and the closely related to whole sign Equal house, in Vedic astrology)

I quite agree with Waybread in the statement, "so what?" (if old time astrologers did or didn't do something)
For me, there is only 1 reason I switched to whole sign
- it worked better (FOR ME)
I could care less if it were the oldest house system
(which it is)
or whether it was invented by Badda Bing at Barney's Beanery in Bayonne, 10 years ago:
only things I consider are:
-does it seem to make sense?
-does it "taste good" to me
(ie, does it "feel right" to me)
-and, if yes to the above,
does it work (producing delineations and predictions)
better than what I have previously been doing?

Well, whole sign did all that, for me,
so I switched;
but I am not going to try to convince anyone of anything about it,
except for beginners
-to you who might just be starting out, I would say:
try whole sign first,
and see how well it might work for you...