Astrological Symbols in Unicode?

Osamenor

Staff member
Does anyone know of a site that lists astrological symbols in unicode?

I want to add a guide to astrological glyphs to my website, which is on the Squarespace platform. According to Squarespace's instructions, special characters can be copy/pasted in using unicode, but the character has to be in unicode to begin with. Apparently, it doesn't work to just type in the code via keyboard.

I've searched online and found several sites offering unicode symbols, but none of them include astrological glyphs. I'm looking for all of the sign and planet glyphs in unicode. It would be helpful to have things like node and asteroid glyphs, too, and better still, the alternative glyphs where they exist: since there's more than one glyph used for Pluto and more than one used for Uranus, I would like to show them all.

kaktuzz

Does anyone know of a site that lists astrological symbols in unicode?

I want to add a guide to astrological glyphs to my website, which is on the Squarespace platform. According to Squarespace's instructions, special characters can be copy/pasted in using unicode, but the character has to be in unicode to begin with. Apparently, it doesn't work to just type in the code via keyboard.

I've searched online and found several sites offering unicode symbols, but none of them include astrological glyphs. I'm looking for all of the sign and planet glyphs in unicode. It would be helpful to have things like node and asteroid glyphs, too, and better still, the alternative glyphs where they exist: since there's more than one glyph used for Pluto and more than one used for Uranus, I would like to show them all.

Have you tried the codes from this page?
https://altcodeunicode.com/alt-codes-planet-moon-phase-astrological-symbols/

kaktuzz

It says ALT code. Is that the same thing as unicode?

the 7th column should contain also Unicode code

- ALT Code
- ALT X Code
- Symbol Name
- HTML Entity DEC
- HTML Entity HEX
- HTML Entity Named
- Unicode Code Point

(however you might try to use also "HTML Entity DEC" if you want to use those symbols on your website)

Osamenor

Staff member
According to Squarespace's tutorial, the only way to get unicode images to appear on the site is to copy/paste the image itself from a source where it has already been posted in unicode. They explicitly say that no other method works. If you type in the code, unicode or anything else, the image will not appear. Only the text you typed will. And to post astrological glyphs, they have to be in unicode, and you have to use that specific method to post them. Again, nothing else will work.

So, I need to know for sure that the image is already in unicode to be able to consider using it. I'm not familiar with any of these tech terms, so if there's any other word for unicode, I have no idea if they're the same thing. I need that specifically spelled out for me.

Osamenor

Staff member
And to be clear on what I mean by specifically spelled out:

- Is ALT code the same thing as unicode? Yes or no?

- Is ALT X code the same thing as unicode? Yes or no?

What about the rest of these? Same thing as unicode? Yes or no?

- HTML Entity DEC
- HTML Entity HEX
- HTML Entity Named
- Unicode Code Point

kaktuzz

And to be clear on what I mean by specifically spelled out:

- Is ALT code the same thing as unicode? Yes or no?

- Is ALT X code the same thing as unicode? Yes or no?

What about the rest of these? Same thing as unicode? Yes or no?

- HTML Entity DEC
- HTML Entity HEX
- HTML Entity Named
- Unicode Code Point

check this article Guide to using special characters in HTML
http://jkorpela.fi/html/characters.html

and here is a list of special astro characters and their ALT codes (&#) and UNICODE codes (&#x).

try to copy & paste this entire list into your website and you will see which variant (&#) or (&#x) will work for you:

Code:
☉	☉	&#x2609

☊	☊	&#x260A

☋	☋	&#x260B

☌	☌	&#x260C

☍	☍	&#x260D

☽	☽	&#x263D

☾	☾	&#x263E

☿	☿	&#x263F

♁	♁	&#x2641

♃	♃	&#x2643

♄	♄	&#x2644

♅	♅	&#x2645

♆	♆	&#x2646

♇	♇	&#x2647

⚳	⚳	&#x26B3

⚴	⚴	&#x26B4

⚵	⚵	&#x26B5

⚶	⚶	&#x26B6

⚷	⚷	&#x26B7

⚸	⚸	&#x26B8

⚹	⚹	&#x26B9

⚺	⚺	&#x26BA

⚻	⚻	&#x26BB

⚼	⚼	&#x26BC

Last edited:

kaktuzz

check this article Guide to using special characters in HTML
http://jkorpela.fi/html/characters.html

and here is a list of special astro characters and their ALT codes (&#) and UNICODE codes (&#x).

try to copy & paste this entire list into your website and you will see which variant (&#) or (&#x) will work for you:

Code:
☉	☉	&#x2609

☊	☊	&#x260A

☋	☋	&#x260B

☌	☌	&#x260C

☍	☍	&#x260D

☽	☽	&#x263D

☾	☾	&#x263E

☿	☿	&#x263F

♁	♁	&#x2641

♃	♃	&#x2643

♄	♄	&#x2644

♅	♅	&#x2645

♆	♆	&#x2646

♇	♇	&#x2647

⚳	⚳	&#x26B3

⚴	⚴	&#x26B4

⚵	⚵	&#x26B5

⚶	⚶	&#x26B6

⚷	⚷	&#x26B7

⚸	⚸	&#x26B8

⚹	⚹	&#x26B9

⚺	⚺	&#x26BA

⚻	⚻	&#x26BB

⚼	⚼	&#x26BC

try rather this .txt attachment. it contains raw data:

Attachments

• astro_symbols_unicode.txt
    862 bytes · Views: 55

Osamenor

Staff member
Okay, I've figured out I can copy and paste the unicode characters. However, I've determined, through that, that unicode won't do for my purpose:

Not all astrological glyphs are available in unicode. It doesn't have all the symbols commonly used for Uranus and Pluto and doesn't have a Chiron symbol at all. I need a system that provides ALL commonly used astrological glyphs.

Venus and Mars look different enough in their unicode versions from how they appear everywhere else to confuse people. In unicode, the arrow on Mars points straight up, instead of up and right, and the horizontal cross piece on Venus is much longer and higher than it appears in all other versions of the glyph. That makes Mars look too much like the alternative glyph for Uranus, and Venus, while recognizable, too unlike the usual for me to be comfortable using it in a guide to newbies.

There's no way to change the size of the images in unicode. The way they appear on my page is too small. People with limited vision will have trouble reading them. I need a way to enlarge them a bit.

But, Squarespace doesn't support anything but unicode. So, I've complained to them.

Last edited: