Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology > Electional and Event Astrology

Electional and Event Astrology Discuss here astrologically good times to do things, and what's happening astrologically when something major happens. Includes sports astrology.

Unread 12-14-2012, 09:42 PM

Doesn't Electional Astrology Mean That We Have Little To No Free Will?

Lately, I've been reading about electional astrology. With electional astrology, people and organizations select the most optimal time for them to launch projects (e.g., a business launch) or activities (e.g., a wedding). However, I've been reading that even the best electional chart won't lead to a good result, if the issue at hand isn't promised in one's natal chart

Thus, if what's not already promised in the natal chart can't be delivered by electional astrology, then we have little to no free will? We thus are pawns of the planets, are we not?

So if your natal chart states that financial problems will be huge life theme, then it is futile for you to use electional astrology in order to select the most optimal time to launch a business so you become a millionaire?

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Account Closed

Re: Doesn't Electional Astrology Mean That We Have Little To No Free Will?

Actually my expereince with electional has been that you can use the time only if Life doesn't have something else in mind for you.

I have known many people who have worked up electional charts for everything from operations to car buying to marriages, only to have it changed at the last minute.

In some of the cases, the people coming up with a new electional chart only to have LIFE give the a new date. When they stopped making times for the event, it stabilized and didn't change again.

I know, maybe that's too weird.

Z.

P.S.: I've given up using them for me. Whenever I make one for an event, I can guarantee that the event time and date will be changed. And when I just prepare for the date that is coming it NEVER changes.
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:06 AM

Hi,

Simply going by our understanding of the word: electional, logically we can interpret that, if we can elect something, we, at least, have the free will to elect or that we are given some leeway and leverage. However, and that is the big question, whether the result will be the desired one, or otherwise, is not entirely in our hands, as we do not control the universe. Hence, free-will is there only to a certain extent. You have surely heard of: Man proposes, God disposes.

Do the best you can, and leave the rest to what is to become. One point tested and something that I do agree on (goes more in Zarathu's direction), whilst it is good to have a goal and be focused, if we hanker after something too much, it makes itself more and more scarce. Nothing is allowed to rule our lives and that is what the object of obsession does. Everything in the right measure is the golden rule.

AQ7
The strange obsession that the acceptance of particular religious metaphysics is necessary for salvation, and that the non-acceptance thereof is a heinous sin, condemning one to eternal punishment in hell is simply a way of fear-mongering and controlling the psyche of the masses.
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:13 AM

No we are not pawns of the planets: natal promise shows likely tendencies and susceptibilities, electional shows current fluxes and refluxes of Cosmic influences, which can tend to activate or to inactivate those natal tendencies/susceptibilities; one IS a pawn, so to speak, when one is not aware of these factors: awareness brings ability to adapt, even to modify, all of this: ignorance of causal factors leads to being a pawn: knowledge gives freedom to adapt and to make changes, to apply whatever the current fluxes are, in accordance with the aims and goals of one's will...
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to Kaiousei no Senshi Send a message via Skype™ to Kaiousei no Senshi

This is one of those things that's going to depend entirely on your own philosophical outlook on life and astrology. Dr. Farr mentions something more of a Neoplatoic (with a hint of Stoicism) philosophy (if I'm recalling my philosophies correctly, that is), while Aquarius7000 seems to be aiming for something a bit more Hermetic.

In Hermeticism, electional astrology is one of the few ways that people can seek to augment their fate to some degree depending on what the planets will allow at any given time. There are other, better ways to do this, but elections are the most common and well known. So, while someone may be cursed with financial pitfalls, at the very least they can elect a time to lessen the amount or extent of those pitfalls.

www.medievalastrologyguide.com

Last edited by Kaiousei no Senshi; 12-22-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Corrected "of" to "or"
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Hi,

Well, Dr Farr, from your response vs my own post, we can infer to differ.

Up until some time back, I was very adamant about man being in possession of close-to-complete free-will. However, I know better now. One of the reasons, why, sometimes, no matter how hard we try or how often, giving it our heart and soul, the sought-after thing does not work out to our satisfaction. It is a proven fact, not once, but many times. All we as human beings can exercise the 'bounds of free-will' given to us is to sometimes pick and choose from the given opportunities, and to work to accomplish our goals. The ultimate result, however, is ultimately never in our own hands. I might be hungry, and desire food. I can therefore practise free-will and pick whether I forego the intake of it for the time I choose to, or pick between pasta and pizza, and to making it myself, or ordering it with the next delivery service. Yes, we can see it as having that much leeway and leverage perhaps. However, whether I will actually get to eat it is most certainly not in my hands, even going by the most favourable of conditions that the pizza is ready on the platter. This a very simple and literal example that can be extended to more complex situations. That is a fact, and the knowledge of that, in the broader sense, we possess in ourselves. However, fear of helplessness and being so much at the mercy of a higher power (call it what we may) often overrides the acceptance and knowledge of it.

To those reading this post, this is certainly not to say that we should act like the tramps in Waiting for Godot, and do almost nothing, or have a I-give-up attitude. No, but whilst having goals and dreams, and performing the best we can to achieve them; we should also be aware of the Truth (and Truth is the word I choose to describe my tested-and-proven opinion) that we do not have the ultimate outcome in our own hands. All we can do is try and perform and make the best of the current 'is' and the future 'to-be'. That is why verbs such as adapting and adjusting exist, as we can never be in absolute control of a situation. That is not foreseen for human beings.

AQ7

PS: Kai, I am with you that how we choose to understand the matter at hand depends on our "philosophical outlook", and, I would add, to our own experiences and willingness to do so. I also go with your succinct and apt, IMO, way of clarifying how electional astrology can help.
The strange obsession that the acceptance of particular religious metaphysics is necessary for salvation, and that the non-acceptance thereof is a heinous sin, condemning one to eternal punishment in hell is simply a way of fear-mongering and controlling the psyche of the masses.

Last edited by aquarius7000; 12-22-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Unread 12-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Electional Astrology has been done since classical times and has been considered very effective. Electional by definition means choice: there is some freewill involved. If you have a natal chart with accurate time, you can use electional to improve your prospects where the chart indicates difficulties and really improve strong areas.

If the second house is ruled by a fallen and cadent planet, electional can keep you from living a life of homelessness and extreme poverty. However, it is unlikely to make you rich. (The Lots have to be considered also.)

I have a strong 9th, 10th and first house. This is great for education, travel, astrology, magick, divination etc. but my 10 house is a disaster with second house not too good either. I have used election, especially after I heard that RR used it to become president of the USA. However, it never lead to a career, but I am financially in very good condition.

As for Reagan I cannot find a birth chart, and he did get to be President, but had to suffer an assassination attempt. His Voodoo economics just creates a bubble economy that leaves financial devastation to this day. It is possible to use electional to defy ones birth chart, but it will result in great difficulties if not ruin in the end. Hitler is probably another bad example. In that case he is reported to have used black magic to rise beyond what the stars predicted.
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Actually my expereince with electional has been that you can use the time only if Life doesn't have something else in mind for you.

I have known many people who have worked up electional charts for everything from operations to car buying to marriages, only to have it changed at the last minute.

In some of the cases, the people coming up with a new electional chart only to have LIFE give the a new date. When they stopped making times for the event, it stabilized and didn't change again.

I know, maybe that's too weird.

Z.

P.S.: I've given up using them for me. Whenever I make one for an event, I can guarantee that the event time and date will be changed. And when I just prepare for the date that is coming it NEVER changes.
Yes... I'm seeing this happening to me too... Now I am just making the event chart not aa after to try to puck a new time but to see what energy will be there in order to prepare for it.

Tags
astrology, electional, free