Which house represents high school?

Osamenor

Staff member
Cool question! A question like this came up years ago for me and my astro friend from college who was talking about her school days. She was from New York but attended a K-12 at a private school in Mass. I told her that 3rd house is schooling while growing up and she pointed out that she thought it was 9th in this instance because it was not local neighborhood/classmates and it was another "land". I thought that made sense so I try to look at those things in charts when talking about schooling.

Does your friend's chart have any Jupiter indicators in the third house? Like Jupiter itself being placed there, or the third house cusp in Sagittarius or Pisces, or aspects involving Jupiter and/or one of its signs?

I'm wondering if those kinds of placements would be linked with a ninth house experience in a third house situation--like my high school, and your friend's K-12.

Was it a boarding school that she attended? Or did she stay with relatives, or was there some other arrangement?

Kitchy

Banned
Osa -

She attended Phillips Andover and some affiliate primary school before that - always at a "boarding school." Her parents were executives who were seldom at home in NYC.

I suppose the difference btwn 3rd and 9th in this scenario is that instead of attending a school exclusively with neighborhood children (3rd) - she was attending school with international students, foreign nationals as well as with children from other parts of the country, as one would typically do in higher education - college (9th).

I can't remember much about her chart - it's been a long time - but she was a 29' Libra Sun, Moon Cap and Scorpio asc - that much I remember. Maybe moon in 3rd..

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Does your friend's chart have any Jupiter indicators in the third house?
Like Jupiter itself being placed there,
or the third house cusp in Sagittarius or Pisces,
or aspects involving Jupiter and/or one of its signs?

I'm wondering if those kinds of placements would be linked with a ninth house experience in a third house situation

--like my high school, and your friend's K-12.

Was it a boarding school that she attended?
Or did she stay with relatives, or was there some other arrangement?
interesting CapAquaPis comment then that
In the astrological life cycle, each house beginning at ascendant represents 6-7 years of your life.
I thought my 3rd house with the planets Mars, Jupiter and Saturn in the sign of Virgo would
indicate my grade school experience,
the 4th with Pluto in Libra portrays my time in middle school and the 5th of Uranus in Scorpio relates to my experiences in high school or adolesence.

Then again, I have a Mercury in Pisces-9th (high school) in a close aspect with my Sun and Moon in Aquarius.
I was in a county mentally disabled special ed. class in the first half (6) out of 12 years in public school,
and I managed to graduate at my HS senior year despite I have mild or high-functioning autism.
so
Jupiter, ruler of Pisces 9th being placed in Virgo in 3rd :smile:
doesn't necessarily indicate boarding school/being away from home 9th house education experience
in this particular case

JUPITERASC

Osa -

She attended Phillips Andover and some affiliate primary school before that - always at a "boarding school."
Her parents were executives who were seldom at home in NYC.

I suppose the difference btwn 3rd and 9th in this scenario is
that instead of attending a school exclusively with neighborhood children (3rd)

- she was attending school with international students, foreign nationals
as well as with children from other parts of the country,
as one would typically do in higher education - college (9th)

I can't remember much about her chart - it's been a long time -
but she was a 29' Libra Sun,

Moon Cap

and

Scorpio asc
- that much I remember.

Maybe moon in 3rd
Scorpio ascendant using Whole Sign Houses
DOES place Capricorn Moon in 3rd
and by Whole Signs Capricorn Moon is ruler of Cancer 9th :smile:
so in this case
ruler of 9th in 3rd IS connected to boarding schooling with international students

Osamenor

Staff member
I can't remember much about her chart - it's been a long time - but she was a 29' Libra Sun, Moon Cap and Scorpio asc - that much I remember. Maybe moon in 3rd..

Twelfth house sun?

Maybe twelfth house has something to do with this. I have a twelfth house moon, trine Jupiter... I suppose that could be part of my picture, too! And one of my immigrant friends from high school has a twelfth house sun... in Gemini, with Mercury combust. She speaks about five languages fluently, including English that's as good as mine, even though she didn't start learning it until she was 13.

Maybe this being in a foreign place, for school, at a young age involves twelfth house influences. House of exile. Even if it's not literal exile, being sent away from home, or immigrating, would be a twelfth house experience.

Kitchy

Banned
I see what you're saying. I remember once, when I told her she was so lucky to be rich and have a good life and why is she complaining and she said, "what do you know? your mom never sent you away to strangers", or something like that.

I have Venus on 4th/11th , Merc ruler of 3rd and Venus on 9th cusp. When I was a kid, I used to dream and wish that I was a kid at a rich boarding school. I went to 3 schools in the same neighborhood and knew all the kids from age 5 to 18 years old.

When I went to Berkeley, it was 9th house for sure - several friends (not all) who were boarding school students their whole lives. American and foreign. They were all fluent in more than one or two languages and they never went to school (3rd) house in the area that their families lived.

JUPITERASC

Twelfth house sun?

Maybe twelfth house has something to do with this.
I have a twelfth house moon
, trine Jupiter... I suppose that could be part of my picture, too!
And one of my immigrant friends from high school has a twelfth house sun... in Gemini, with Mercury combust.
She speaks about five languages fluently, including English that's as good as mine,
even though she didn't start learning it until she was 13.

Maybe this being in a foreign place, for school, at a young age involves twelfth house influences.

House of exile. Even if it's not literal exile
being sent away from home, or immigrating,
would be a twelfth house experience.
George W Bush a 12th house Sun attended high school at the Phillips Academy, a boarding school :smile:
(then all-male) in
Andover, Massachusetts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush

Dubyadude1986

My Chiron wound thingy is in Gemini H3, I believe strongly that H3 governs high school. My life would suggest that at least for me, it was the 3rd.