mars sign and dissociation

or1000

so personally I have noticed when there's quite a mixture of water-air signs, the person can be quite 'spacey'. what are your opinions on the mars sign being in air making the person dissociative prone/not very in touch with the body?

moonkat235

I struggle with dissociation I think. Do you mean like depersonalization or derealization? Do you mean to the clinical level where it impairs functioning or do you mean like just being out of touch with your body?

or1000

I struggle with dissociation I think. Do you mean like depersonalization or derealization? Do you mean to the clinical level where it impairs functioning or do you mean like just being out of touch with your body?

Dissociation can be a clinical problem. I think it depends on the degree at which you experience it he dissociation. in general, the feeling of being out of touch and strategising a lot/spending so much time in the thoughts is what I’m meaning.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
The most dissociative sign is Aquarius, if you're talking about being disassociated from the body. Having Aquarius very prominent in a chart tends to be linked with a tendency to, in a way, forget you have a body. That's the person who'll often skip meals just because they're doing something, and then realize with surprise that they haven't eaten all day, or possibly not even think of eating until someone reminds them. Or not pay any attention at all to their body unless they get sick, and then just want to get that inconvenient illness out of the way as soon as possible. (Many of us do that to some extent, but it's especially pronounced in Aquarius.)

If a person with prominent Aquarius isn't doing that, chalk it up to other chart factors that are more physical. Aquarius also has a certain emotional detachment. If it's a prominent sign for you, particularly moon sign, you might not be much in touch with your emotions, either. You might be very objective about things other people find highly emotional. You might not register strong emotion for yourself unless and until it's so strong you really can't ignore it.

Pisces is dissociative in another way. Pisces is very strongly in touch with emotion, extremely sensitive, but has no natural defense other than disappearing. All water signs are highly sensitive, but Cancer has its shell (security orientation) as a defense, and Scorpio has its sting (the vindictiveness and secretiveness Scorpio is known for). All the fish can do is swim away when things get too overwhelming. So, Pisces is very prone to disassociating from heavily emotional situations, which sometimes only the Pisces person perceives as heavily emotional.

Neptune also carries that disappearing tendency. So, if Neptune and/or Pisces is prominent in the chart, or Aquarius is, then we've got someone who's very prone to disassociating, in one way or another.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
what are your opinions on the mars sign being in air making the person dissociative prone/not very in touch with the body?

And to address the original question here, I don't think Mars sign has anything to do with it. But if you have a lot of Aquarius and/or Pisces, and Mars is in Gemini, it's likely to be in aspect with those planets, so helping to highlight their energies: trine Aquarius and square Pisces. If Mars is in Aquarius, it's part of that Aquarian energy. If it's in Libra, it wouldn't affect Pisces directly, unless there's a tight quincunx with a Pisces planet, but could trine Aquarius placements. So, Mars isn't the deciding factor, but it could reinforce dissociative tendencies that are found elsewhere in the chart.

Last edited:

Gemini888

Gemini Mars. You?
Virgo Mars. It's my chart ruler and squares my Sun. A nice balance for the hyperactive Gemini ;)

And I also daydream a lot. I'm not out of touch with my body, but I can sometimes get so lost in thought that my concentration reduces. I have Cap Neptune and Aqua Uranus conj MC. My chart is geared towards Earth than Air though, and I only have 2 water planets.

I also saw your chart in the Read my Chart section. I'm looking through it at the moment, but from a first glance I'd say that your planets are pulling you in so many direction. It's easy to feel confused and dislocated with so much energy conflict.

Redaries

The most dissociative sign is Aquarius, if you're talking about being disassociated from the body. Having Aquarius very prominent in a chart tends to be linked with a tendency to, in a way, forget you have a body. That's the person who'll often skip meals just because they're doing something, and then realize with surprise that they haven't eaten all day, or possibly not even think of eating until someone reminds them. Or not pay any attention at all to their body unless they get sick, and then just want to get that inconvenient illness out of the way as soon as possible. (Many of us do that to some extent, but it's especially pronounced in Aquarius.)

If a person with prominent Aquarius isn't doing that, chalk it up to other chart factors that are more physical. Aquarius also has a certain emotional detachment. If it's a prominent sign for you, particularly moon sign, you might not be much in touch with your emotions, either. You might be very objective about things other people find highly emotional. You might not register strong emotion for yourself unless and until it's so strong you really can't ignore it.

Pisces is dissociative in another way. Pisces is very strongly in touch with emotion, extremely sensitive, but has no natural defense other than disappearing. All water signs are highly sensitive, but Cancer has its shell (security orientation) as a defense, and Scorpio has its sting (the vindictiveness and secretiveness Scorpio is known for). All the fish can do is swim away when things get too overwhelming. So, Pisces is very prone to disassociating from heavily emotional situations, which sometimes only the Pisces person perceives as heavily emotional.

Neptune also carries that disappearing tendency. So, if Neptune and/or Pisces is prominent in the chart, or Aquarius is, then we've got someone who's very prone to disassociating, in one way or another.

I have a triple conjunction in Aquarius as well as Lunar node.
I have sun and mercury in the 11th (Uranian influence again)
All of the above is square my Asc.
I’ve had DP/DR for 10 years.

obsidianmineral

That’s very interesting to read. I constantly get dissociative and tend to dive into ideas really deeply, sometimes I even feel how my sense of self changes with it, but always logically nevertheless. I am not really a huge fan of baseless ideas, airy-fairy ideas. I’m rather more afraid of them than pleased , tbh! I just get really obsessive with digging deeper and deeper into truth. It’s definitely been a double edged sword for me. Coincidentally, I’ve got a stationary Mercury in the 9th house cusp in Pisces and Sun trining Pluto. I’ve a Mars in Scorpio opposing Saturn in Taurus. I guess that both would explain my need for control and structure coupled with wanting to dive into ideas really deep. To be honest, it has just been getting more accentuated these past few years considering Neptune has been conjoining my Mercury in Pisces by transit :(. To be honest I’ve gotten spiritual but I also try to be very keenly aware of self-deception. Self-deception makes me irritated.

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

Pisces people tend to fade away from being good friends over the course of time, the workaholic sign and the ones who aren't certain who their friends are. Whether it's the Mars in Pisces, or the sun sign, or the moon itself, even ASC or rising, the sign of the fishes swim away from one's sight indicates they won't be around for you any longer. Some tropical Pisces are sidereal Aquarius, but you still have a pattern of slow dissociation with people who aren't blood or marital family.

Osamenor

Staff member
Transiting Neptune conjunct natal Mercury will make you dissociate.

Really? Personal experience examples, please?

I can't test that theory myself, because I'll never have that transit in my lifetime. I can say that transiting Neptune in opposition to my natal Mercury didn't make me dissociate.

For people who have had Neptune transit their natal Mercury by conjunction, has anyone found it to be true?

CapAquaPis

Personally knowing Pisces people I had to do some astrological data digging who turned out to have Mars in Leo (and like the OP said about a Mars in an air sign), made perfect sense to understand an end to a friendship over the years, and what about retrograde Mars positions in a natal chart, would it be a larger chance of disassociation from friends despite there was no serious conflicts to break the friendship.