turned charts

azzim

hi,
I am confused about turning the chart. On one level it is simple. If the astrologer (first house) is asking about a seventh house person's child, that .would be the fifth from the seventh. BUT it seems to be Debra Houlding in her horary lessons makes it seem and maybe confusing. In s erious matter,
and youre wondering whether your elderly very ill mother will survive an operation, do you use the actual fourth house or the fourth from the mother?
I say Houlding is confusing because in a question she got from a daughter about whether her parents would be o.k. first houlding says she got a clue from moon in 8 but hen she turns chart for the mother, she doesnt use the natural 8th to dtermine whether the mom will survive an ill. thanks azzim

waybread

Sometimes it's hard to know when to turn a chart and when to look at the plain meaning of the houses.

A step-child would normally be the 5th house from the 7th, or radix (root chart's) 11th house. The 7th is one's spouse or partner. The 5th is one's child, but in this case we're looking at the spouse's child. (We start with the 7th as the first house to count here.

But let's imagine a situation where a step-mother was the one raising her partner's child from the child's infancy. The child has known no other mother, and the mother loves the child and has always treated the child as her own. In this case it would probably make more sense to consider the child to be a 5th house matter for the mother.

Without seeing Houlding's example, it's hard to say. Traditionally the 4th house rules the father and the 10th house rules the mother. (Modern astrologers tend to reverse this.) But basically the radix 8th house concerns the querent's death (or inheritence, taxes, shared income, &c) not the death of the parent. Do you want to link the example? If we put parents as a 4th house matter, then the 8th from the 4th would be the radix 11th house. The 4th can also stand for the end of a matter: how it turns out.

Do you want to link the page?

Cap

hi,
I am confused about turning the chart. On one level it is simple. If the astrologer (first house) is asking about a seventh house person's child, that .would be the fifth from the seventh. BUT it seems to be Debra Houlding in her horary lessons makes it seem and maybe confusing. In s erious matter,
and youre wondering whether your elderly very ill mother will survive an operation, do you use the actual fourth house or the fourth from the mother?
I say Houlding is confusing because in a question she got from a daughter about whether her parents would be o.k. first houlding says she got a clue from moon in 8 but hen she turns chart for the mother, she doesnt use the natural 8th to dtermine whether the mom will survive an ill. thanks azzim
Hi!

Turning the chart implies some kind of belonging.

For example,

"Will my brother find a job?"
You look at radical 3rd and 10th.

"How will my brother do at his new job?"
You look at 3rd and 12th (10th from the 3rd)

The exception to this rule is death and imprisonment. In this case, you look at both radical and turned 8th or 12th. The chart will usually make it clear which one is in play (sometimes both).