Lovely things made at home

Mandy

I want to share with y'all the new addition to my beauty regime, which I hope some will attempt and enjoy at home.

I got the idea from a 73 year old lady at my church, who has the skin of a 12 year old, and, who moisturises her face with only olive oil. It has had amazing effects on my skin, effects which I have been trying to achieve with expensive products, for a long time.

You will need:

* A pretty glass jar
* Some very fine sugar or salt, very fine sea salt is probably best
* Good quality olive oil
* A spoon
* Food colouring (optional)
* Cocoa powder (optional)
* Pure essential oils of your choice (optional)
* A spray bottle (small)
* An Aretha Franklyn CD.

What you do:

For the scrub:

* Fill the glass jar with sugar/salt until it is almost full. Ensure that the sugar/salt is of the fine variety, but not powdered.
* Pour in the olive oil only until it is penetrating the granules, not over, and stir. Look to the base of the jar, from the outside, to ensure that you are mixing everything evenly to the rhythm of the music. Keep adding the oil until you get the consistency of set honey or slush.

You can leave it there and use this mixture as a body and face scrub to slough off dead skin cells and oil (as oil removes oil). Or you can dress it up a little.

To dress it up a little:

* Add a few drops of food colouring to the oil, before hand. If you use a few drops of pink, it will turn your mixture into a pale pink colour. This will not colour your skin due to the simultaneous scrubbing action. I would not use a brighter colour on it, though.
* Add a few drops of your favourite pure essential oils.
* Or add only pure essential oils (add to oil before hand) and lavander petals.
* Alternatively to the food colouring, add pure cocoa powder. It is rich in colour and anti-oxidants. It turns the scrub to the scent and to the colour of chocolate. It will not stain.

To use:

* Use on the face and whole body (before shaving). It also makes feet feel very, very, very, soft.
* Rinse and wash your face and body with the usual soapy routine.
* Once dry, moisturise body with regular moisturiser.
* For the face, neck and decollete area, spray a small amount of pure olive oil on to the palm of your hands. Rub them together vigorously for about 30 seconds, to heat up the oil and make it more "loose."
* Press on to the aforementioned areas of the skin, followed by few light stroking movements (as at the beuticians). There will be a wonderful glow (as if from within) to your skin. It will not look oily, at all, after about 10 minutes because the heat made by the hands, allows the oil to sink in. And when allowed to cool, to normal temperature, it stays locked in. If the oil is not heated in the hands prior to application, it will just sit on top and leave the skin looking oily (not recommended).

To make it into an organic beauty gift, tie some straw into a bow around the lid and decorate however you like.

Olive oil cannot be marketed, which is why it is not classified as a beauty product, though, it is potently efficacious. The scrub is excellent for circulation and skin tone. I hope you will give it a try. And hopefully share some of your recipes and ideas that work.

ed45076e68f35d82a668c1da366a389c

Last edited: