beginning of the astrological year

ppodd

Hey,
I am born exactly (one hour later) on the beginning of the astrological year (20Mar). I thought my sign was Piscis, but it turns out to be Aries. What does this mean from an astrological point of view?
Thx :)

AppLeo

Hi ppodd, welcome to the forum!!

You're born on the cusp, so you'll express traits of both Aries and Pisces together.

ppodd

Hi AppLeo,
thx, both traits at the same time? I think that might be difficult since both signs are mututally exclusive (water vs. fire etc...). I was rather thinking that it might be in exchange, from time to time Piscis, from time to time Aries, or war between neptune and mars? Btw, Ascendant is Leo, thx

JUPITERASC

Hey,
I am born exactly (one hour later)
on the beginning of the astrological year (20Mar).
I thought my sign was Piscis, but it turns out to be Aries.
What does this mean from an astrological point of view?
Thx :)
That would depend on whether you are using SIDEREAL or TROPICAL astrology :smile:

Hi ppodd, welcome to the forum!!

You're born on the cusp, so you'll express traits of both Aries and Pisces together.
Astrologers often differ regarding their opinion on a particular matter
and in this case
it is clear that you are EITHER Tropical Aries
OR you are Tropical Pisces

NOT BOTH

but if
there are other planets in Pisces natally
then that would have an influence on the delineation :smile:

that's why generalisation
although tempting
because it is a "quick fix" that requries not much work
as for example actually viewing an individuals natal chart
and delineating their planets

ours is an online beginners astrological forum
where anyone
irrespective of knowledge or experience
may say anything at all
and members practice our astrological skills
and we learn by discussion

the fact is
that you are a SIDEREAL PISCES
and a TROPICAL ARIES

These are two very different methodologies

AppLeo

That's great Jupiter, but it's obvious that ppodd uses the Tropical Astrological system.

The signs blend into one another, in my opinion. Having a Sun 0 degrees in a new sign is a Sun influenced by its previous sign.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

That's great Jupiter,
but it's obvious that ppodd uses the Tropical Astrological system.

The signs blend into one another, in my opinion.
Having a Sun 0 degrees in a new sign is a Sun influenced by its previous sign.
Obviously we are all entitled to an opinion :smile:

what IS obvious is

that formulating an opinion without even a view of the OPs natal chart

is nothing more than simplistic generalisation

which is tempting
because it requires little or no work

and fun for beginners
but unfortunately not a reliable methodology

AppLeo

I didn't realize it was in natal astrology.

This thread would've been better in the "Introduction" board of the forum.

@Pprodd, post your chart so that we can analyze it. I still stand as what I said before though: someone who has a Sun on the cusp expresses both traits of the two signs.

JUPITERASC

I didn't realize it was in natal astrology.

This thread would've been better in the "Introduction" board of the forum.
because the "Introduction" board is literally for introductions
and introductions only
and because this is a discussion on the beginning of the astrological year
then this thread is correctly posted in natal astrology
but you can always contact moderators tsmall or wilsontc to check

@Pprodd, post your chart so that we can analyze it.
I still stand as what I said before though:
someone who has a Sun on the cusp expresses both traits of the two signs.
keep in mind that this discussion is posted in GENERAL ASTROLOGY
where all forms of astrology are welcomed
and so
SIDEREAL asstrology is fine to discuss
as is TROPICAl astrology
neither is excluded from discussion
:smile:

in this case
a comparison of the SIDEREAL natal chart
with the TROPICAL natal chart
would be interesting

Traditionally, Tropical Aries Sun at the beginning of the astrological year
is obviously Ingressed to Aries
and is not in Pisces
the sun is either in Aries or Pisces

HoldOrFold

The signs blend into one another, in my opinion. Having a Sun 0 degrees in a new sign is a Sun influenced by its previous sign.

I've found 0 degrees of any sign to be the most powerful expression of that sign. I've never noticed the blending except perhaps on ascendants because someone got the time slightly wrong and they are actually the other sign.

You do have decans though which are 3 divisions of a sign by signs of the same element. So someone born at the end of Pisces would be more of a Scorpio type Pisces since the last decan of Pisces is Scorpio. I've noticed this particularly with the way signs look, I might see an Aries who looks like a Leo or vice versa. That's how the signs blend into eachother, to be honest I can't see how two signs next to eachother would blend into eachother since they are of such different astrological characteristics.

Last edited:

AppLeo

I've found 0 degrees of any sign to be the most powerful expression of that sign. I've never noticed the blending except perhaps on ascendants because someone got the time slightly wrong and they are actually the other sign.

You do have decans though which are 3 divisions of a sign by signs of the same element. So someone born at the end of Pisces would be more of a Scorpio type Pisces since the last decan of Pisces is Scorpio. I've noticed this particularly with the way signs look, I might see an Aries who looks like a Leo or vice versa. That's how the signs blend into eachother, to be honest I can't see how two signs next to eachother would blend into eachother since they are of such different astrological characteristics.

Okay, I'm wrong. The signs don't blend to together.

ppodd

Dear AppLeo, JUPITERASC and HoldorFold,

Thank you very much for your kind answers! I did learn a lot!

Please forgive my newbi-attitude. I was just thinking that it doesn't make sense that star signs work like that you are just burn with one and the others don't matter. This would be like retrieving a certain pack of cigarettes but not the other (either lucky strike, or marlboro, etc...).

I think it must be more like in chemistry where influences of chemical groups assert their influence depending on distance and other characteristics, such as other chemical groups or molecules. This would mean that we are all influenced by all star signs, but ours is the one that has the biggest impact on us. If this was true, being born exactly on the second of the cusp must mean that both signs are equally present and strong.

P.S. I hope I am not getting expelled for saying such things, I have posted my chart ;-)
P.P.S. I posted this in introduction but it got moved somehow.

Attachments

• report.jpg
    report.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 25

HoldOrFold

Dear AppLeo, JUPITERASC and HoldorFold,

Thank you very much for your kind answers! I did learn a lot!

Please forgive my newbi-attitude. I was just thinking that it doesn't make sense that star signs work like that you are just burn with one and the others don't matter. This would be like retrieving a certain pack of cigarettes but not the other (either lucky strike, or marlboro, etc...).

I think it must be more like in chemistry where influences of chemical groups assert their influence depending on distance and other characteristics, such as other chemical groups or molecules. This would mean that we are all influenced by all star signs, but ours is the one that has the biggest impact on us. If this was true, being born exactly on the second of the cusp must mean that both signs are equally present and strong.

P.S. I hope I am not getting expelled for saying such things, I have posted my chart ;-)
P.P.S. I posted this in introduction but it got moved somehow.

Wow, you really were born right on the cusp. If it were about 20 minutes before you'd be a cancer ascendant with sun in pisces instead of leo asc with sun in aries!

It really is that you are one or the other, depending on accuracy of the birth time. When you look into what planets rule a sign this makes it make more sense too why they don't blend together (e.g. 0 degrees of Leo is still ruled by the Sun, not both the Sun and Moon)

AppLeo

Well pprodd, Jupiter and Hold may say that the Sun is either expressing one sign or the other, but there are people that believe that a Sun on the cusp expresses both signs at the same time.

It's up to you to decide if the Sun expresses both Aries and Pisces or just Aries.

HoldOrFold

ppodd, it might also help to read up what astrologers say on the matter to come to a conclusion, e.g:

- Critical & Anaretic Degrees
- Critical Points: The First and Final Degrees of a Sign
- An example discussion on this board

Almost everyone agrees that 0 degrees of a sign is the purest expression of that sign. But I have come across the idea that planets at 29 degrees may express qualities of the next sign (although I disagree with it myself).

Also bear in mind just a few minutes difference in your birth time would give you a Cancer ascendant, making your ruling planet Moon in Taurus. This would de-emphasise an Aries Sun and introduce a stronger water element in the personality, in contrast to a Leo Ascendnat which is ruled by the Sun. And over 20 minutes could give you a whole different Sun sign, as previously mentioned.

ppodd

of course JUPITERASC:

Intituitive examples:
-->A man is strongest in the middle of his life when is is grown up and experienced.
-->The sun is strongest during that time of the day when it is half-way between sun-rise and sun-set
Sciency stuff:
-->Most scientific measurements behave like normal distributions (bell curves) with the peak in the middle, this goes for biology-physics-chemistry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution
-->It would be unlogical for something to start with a maximum value: For example, a car needs some time to accelerate from 0-100 km/h, even though this value could be very small, in certainly cannot be zero.
Arts:
-->Colours are the purest when they are at maximum distance from neighouring colours in the color wheel: https://i.stack.imgur.com/ZzAii.png

david starling

of course JUPITERASC:

Intituitive examples:
-->A man is strongest in the middle of his life when is is grown up and experienced.
-->The sun is strongest during that time of the day when it is half-way between sun-rise and sun-set
Sciency stuff:
-->Most scientific measurements behave like normal distributions (bell curves) with the peak in the middle, this goes for biology-physics-chemistry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution
-->It would be unlogical for something to start with a maximum value: For example, a car needs some time to accelerate from 0-100 km/h, even though this value could be very small, in certainly cannot be zero.
Arts:
-->Colours are the purest when they are at maximum distance from neighouring colours in the color wheel: https://i.stack.imgur.com/ZzAii.png

Colors are a good analogy. If Pisces is designated as blue, and Aries as red, at the Cusp on the Pisces-side, the color blend would be reddish purple, and purplish red on the Aries side--energetic Pisces or emotional Aries, but still two entirely different Signs.

Last edited:

david starling

David,
But in the color analogy, it is just purple in between!

It would be pure BLUE at the middle of Pisces, then purplish-BLUE, with more blue than red, until it's true PURPLE at the boundary between Pisces and Aries (equal mix of blue and red); then purplish-RED, increasingly more red and less blue, until pure RED at the middle of Aries. This is about the theory that Signs exhibit their purest qualities at the middle.

Last edited: