Introduction to Hellenistic Astrology Part I - Zodiac

SunConjunctUranus

Because I respect Traditional Astrology, and want to know more about it.

If you are interested to learn traditional astrology
then you shall find the answer by reading ALL ancient astrologers :smile:

if you are not sufficiently interested to read any traditional authorities
then I recommend you follow moderator helpful guidelines as follows

Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion

This is the Traditional Astrology forum. Out of all the different boards in this forum, this one is the home for traditional astrologers. It was created so that traditional astrologers can discuss traditional astrology with each other, without having to justify it to non-traditionalists or be interrupted by people disagreeing with traditional perspectives. Traditional astrologers, welcome home! You already know what to post and what not to post, so you may go ahead and post without reading further.

If you are not a traditional astrologer, you are welcome as a guest. Good guests respect the rules of the house. In this house, the main rule is that all posts must stick to traditional astrology only. Please read the rest of this and make sure that everything you post here is strictly traditional. If your post is not traditional, it belongs on one of our other boards, not here.

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/foru...d.php?t=120411

david starling

inexplicably you have failed to comprehend that petosiris is not your private tutor :smile:
fact is,
inexplicably you are unwilling apparently to learn traditional from traditional texts
while simultaneously claiming you respect traditional
and that you wish to learn traditional

Inexplicably, this thread is billed as an "Introduction" to ancient knowledge , and is therefore a tutorial, intended to transmit, not withold, information on the subject at hand.

petosiris

Banned
Inexplicably, this thread is billed as an "Introduction" to ancient knowledge , and is therefore a tutorial, intended to transmit, not withold, information on the subject at hand.

Fine, the text in ''Valens'' may not be actually his, but has been attributed to Teucer of Babylon and ''Rhetorius'' (it has many interpolations from Hephaistio who lived centuries after Valens). We do not know the exact author, but those indications have been transmitted through various manuscripts. I can't think of lengthy descriptions of the signs outside of this transmission, besides Firmicus preserving a separate tradition that looks at the four angular signs - see page 161 http://www.astrologiahumana.com/firmicusmaternustheoryandpractice.pdf or Pythagoras, who also mentions toil, but notes some positive characteristics (like seekers of hidden knowledge because of the enigmatic quality), note many of the descriptions mixed with the Valens' in the OP come from him.

Firmicus describes the effects of twelve ascendants, even thought it may look he is examining them one by one. He probably used whole signs or perhaps equal houses. Go to skyscript for house discussions, we currently have a lovely one on Manilius - http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10349&start=60

Last edited:

moonkat235

Fine, the text in ''Valens'' may not be actually his, but has been attributed to Teucer of Babylon and ''Rhetorius''. We do not know the exact author, but those indications have been transmitted through various manuscripts. I can't think of lengthy descriptions of the signs outside of this transmission, besides Firmicus preserving a separate tradition that looks at the four angular signs - see page 161 http://www.astrologiahumana.com/firmicusmaternustheoryandpractice.pdf or Pythagoras, who also mentions toil, but notes some positive characteristics (like seekers of hidden knowledge because of the enigmatic quality), note many of the descriptions mixed with the Valens' in the OP come from him.

Sorry to bust in here, but someone mentioned to me that Capricorn is associated with the occult traditionally? Is that referenced on page 161 when it says, "The secrets of sacred rites or a foreign way of life or a hidden religion will be known to him." Just curious!

petosiris

Banned
Sorry to bust in here, but someone mentioned to me that Capricorn is associated with the occult traditionally? Is that referenced on page 161 when it says, "The secrets of sacred rites or a foreign way of life or a hidden religion will be known to him." Just curious!

Many qualities of the sidereal zodiac have been lost through time. In Hellenistic astrology, Sagittarius and Capricorn are ''enigmatic'' images (since their shapes are unintelligible), so they are very frequently associated with occult matters. They also indicate secrets, and things that come from unexpected sources, untraceable indicators as well.

david starling

inexplicably, you are posting on our traditional board with carping criticism
of traditional principles
while demanding a personal tutorial from the generous OP of this thread :smile:
who is not beholden either to you or to anyone on our forum
the OP comments when the OP chooses to comment
not when unreasonable demands are made
by those who are blatantly flaunting the rules of our traditional board
i.e.
you commented earlier on this thread as follows

you continuallly flout the fact
that our traditional board
has the following moderator advice clearly displayed :smile:

This is the Traditional Astrology forum.

Out of all the different boards in this forum, this one is the home for traditional astrologers.
It was created so that traditional astrologers
can discuss traditional astrology with each other,
without having to justify it to non-traditionalists
or be interrupted by people disagreeing with traditional perspectives.

Traditional astrologers, welcome home!
You already know what to post and what not to post,
so you may go ahead and post without reading further.
If you are not a traditional astrologer

you are welcome as a guest.
Good guests respect the rules of the house.
In this house, the main rule is that all posts must stick to traditional astrology only.

Please read the rest of this and make sure that everything you post here is strictly traditional.
If your post is not traditional, it belongs on one of our other boards, not here.
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120411

I asked a question about a Traditional topic, on a thread entitled as an "Introduction". Clearly, anyone already familiar with Hellenistic Astrology wouldn't require such an introduction, so a question from someone unfamiliar with it is perfectly understandable. I'm on Thread and not in violation of the rules of this board.

JUPITERASC

Sorry to bust in here, but
someone mentioned to me that Capricorn is associated with the occult traditionally?
Is that referenced on page 161 when it says,
"The secrets of sacred rites or a foreign way of life or a hidden religion will be known to him."
Just curious!
would be interesting if you provide your interpretation of the reference you gave :smile:
just curious
i.e.
"The secrets of sacred rites or a foreign way of life or a hidden religion will be known to him."
also would be useful if you would state whether you are a traditional astrologer
interested in traditional discussion
or simply a curious guest on our traditional board

JUPITERASC

I asked a question about a Traditional topic, on a thread entitled as an "Introduction".
Clearly, anyone already familiar with Hellenistic Astrology
wouldn't require such an introduction, so
a question from someone unfamiliar with it is perfectly understandable.
I'm on Thread and not in violation of the rules of this board.
fact is the rule states clearly as follows
Out of all the different boards in this forum, this one is the home for traditional astrologers.
It was created so that traditional astrologers can discuss traditional astrology with each other,
or be interrupted by people disagreeing with traditional perspectives
and you have violated that rule with the following interruption
disagreeing with our traditional perspectives :smile:
So, according to Valens, all Capricorns suffer from those maladies, regardless of the Chart configuration?
I, for one, believe it's an untenable generalization.
clearly you are not a traditional astrologer
therefore as a guest of our traditional board
do respect moderator polite request to respect our house rules
many thanks

david starling

would be interesting if you provide your interpretation of the reference you gave :smile:
just curious
i.e.
also would be useful if you would state whether you are a traditional astrologer

For guests, as stated, "The main rule is that all posts must stick to traditional astrology only ". You seem to be implying that guests are unwelcome if they ask a question of those already knowledgeable in the Traditional arena. Is that a rule of your own making?

Last edited:

moonkat235

just curious
i.e.

lol curious guest. Odds and Petosiris have been giving me lots of traditional info to sift through and explore!

And legit the first thing that came to my mind when I read that passage was occult knowledge, which made me think of the comment my friend made about Capricorn. I mean, is there another way to interpret it rather than occult? "Secrets of sacred rites" seems very occultish and so does "hidden religion". lol

Osamenor

Staff member
All,

Keep your disagreements respectful. I have just deleted multiple posts for not sticking to that rule.

You may disagree over what is or isn't traditional astrology, up to a point. However, you may not call people trolls. That isn't useful. Disagreement does not a troll make, and when someone really is trolling, the appropriate response is to report it, not feed it. All the other posts I deleted were responses to that line of discussion.

Stick to the topic, respectfully,
Osamenor

SunConjunctUranus

For guests, as stated, "The main rule is that all posts must stick to traditional astrology only ". You seem to be implying that guests are unwelcome if they ask a question of those already knowledgeable in the Traditional arena. Is that a rule of your own making?

Excuse me, mr David, we can't denying that there are history in the past that make the reader of this thread could read something "unserious questions"
So I could see why Trad member like Jupiter and petosiris to prevent it again.
That's all what I read.

Respectful

R

JUPITERASC

Excuse me, mr David, we can't denying that there are history in the past that make the reader of this thread could read something "unserious questions"
So I could see why Trad member like Jupiter and petosiris to prevent it again.
That's all what I read.
Respectful
R
thanks for referring to the following comment SCU :smile:
For guests, as stated,
"The main rule is that all posts must stick to traditional astrology only ".
You seem to be implying that guests are unwelcome
if they ask a question of those already knowledgeable in the Traditional arena.
Is that a rule of your own making?
the rules are made by moderators and apply to ALL of us members INCLUDING GUESTS

i.e.
It was created so that traditional astrologers can discuss traditional astrology with each other,

and so
guests follow our house rules
as stated by moderators
for example

All,
Keep your disagreements respectful.
You may disagree over what is or isn't traditional astrology,
up to a point.
Stick to the topic, respectfully,

Osamenor

david starling

thanks for referring to the following comment SCU :smile:

the rules are made by moderators and apply to ALL of us members INCLUDING GUESTS

i.e.

and so
guests follow our house rules
as stated by moderators
for example

I disagreed with ONE ancient astrologer's opinion concerning Capricorn, not with all "traditional perspectives". That's why I asked about the opinions of other ancient astrologers regarding that Sign.

JUPITERASC

I disagreed with ONE ancient astrologer's opinion concerning Capricorn,
not with all "traditional perspectives".
That's why I asked about the opinions of other ancient astrologers regarding that Sign.
I simply quoted rules of our traditional board
and by the way, keep in mind
that since ours is a beginners learning forum
IF anyone has a genuine interest to study and learn traditional astrological opinion
of ANY or ALL ancient astrologers
then obviously great idea to read the original texts oneself :smile:
in order to form ones own opinion