question regarding transits in astrology

mario

Ok so this is my question... Please correct me if I'm wrong on the details... Blessings and good vibes to y'all! I posted it in the modern astrology section too, hoping to get the most responses possible. I hope this is alright in this forum

You have your natal transits which talk about who you are as a person....
then you have current planetary transits which is the position of the planets towards any given geographical location and I take it that it can talk about both political stuff and archetypal collective moments PLUS personal influences... So, for example, if right now mercury is in conjunction to Venus I take it that it has a double meaning, say good communication regarding love/affective matters at both a collective level and an individual level (say, both an individual falling in love and advancement of issues such as the elimination of domestic violence or perhaps gay marriage).

Now this is my question: what are personal planetary transits (the planet's movement In regard to where the planets were at the moment of birth) good for? Cuz I assume it means it effects personal matters but then what are the objective transits a person's current location good for? What are personal transits good for if we have current geography transits for all? Or alternatively, What are current geography transits good for at an individual level if we have personal transits?

I prefer to work with planetary transits only, avoiding the zodiac, (a la Richard Tarnas) at this time.

Last edited:

waybread

Hi Mario-- I don't quite get the geography part of your question, but in terms of what personal planet transits are good for-- they affect a lot of the day-to-day functioning of your life.

For example, I have noticed that transits of Mercury and Mars to my natal Mars or Mercury, respectively, are times when I might get angry or annoyed to the point of getting into an argument. Or, if I stay calm, someone else is apt to be critical of me. (Mercury=communication, Mars=aggression.)

Geography, in its effect on time, will affect the house in which a planet is in. But because each of the personal planets stays in the same degree or two per day (Mars=2 days) their placements are the same or nearly so around the globe. (Assuming minutes and seconds are not significant here.) The moon is a bit different because it moves so quickly.

Astrological planets have multiple simultaneous meanings. They are different in a nativity, a mundane chart, a medical chart, and a horary chart. What shapes our interpretation is the reason we cast the chart and what we ask of it. There are some commonalities, though. A lot of a planet's meaning in any kind of chart comes from the mythological meanings of the Greek/Roman deity for whom the planet was named.

Osamenor

Staff member
Ok so this is my question... Please correct me if I'm wrong on the details... Blessings and good vibes to y'all! I posted it in the modern astrology section too, hoping to get the most responses possible. I hope this is alright in this forum

That is against the rules. I have deleted the other thread for that reason. In the FAQ, which everyone is required to read when registering:
Posting the same topic on more than one forum, or making multiple posts on the exact same subject is not permitted.

I've also moved this thread from Natal Astrology to Transits, because it's a question about transits.

Last edited:

mario

Hi Mario-- I don't quite get the geography part of your question, but in terms of what personal planet transits are good for-- they affect a lot of the day-to-day functioning of your life

Hey, thanks for your answer.

I'll try to clarify... These are New York's aspects for today:
Moon Conjunction Mercury Orb 2°48'
Sun Conjunction Mercury Orb 10°22
Moon Opposite Saturn Orb 0°01'
Mercury Opposite Saturn Orb 2°46'
Venus Opposite Mars Orb 7°20'
Venus Square Uranus Orb 0°26'
Mars Square Jupiter Orb 6°00'
Mars Square Uranus Orb 6°54'
Sun Square Neptune Orb 7°08'
Jupiter Trine Neptune Orb 2°08'
Saturn Trine Uranus Orb 5°21'
Moon Trine Jupiter Orb 7°31'
Mercury Sextile Uranus Orb 2°35'
Neptune Sextile Pluto Orb 4°10'
Moon Sextile Uranus Orb 5°23'
Moon Inconjunction Mars Orb 1°30'
Sun Inconjunction Pluto Orb 2°58'
Uranus SemiSquare Neptune Orb 0°03'
Sun SesquiQuadrate Mars Orb 0°18'
Venus SesquiQuadrate Neptune Orb 0°30'

this aspects are different from my personal planet transits... What is what I quoted and what is it good for? I know it's good for archetypal collective events, as I learned from reading Richard Tarnas. But what about the personal realm and how is it different from the influence of personal transits?

JUPITERASC

You have your natal transits which talk about who you are as a person....
then you have current planetary transits which is the position of the planets towards any given geographical location and I take it that it can talk about both political stuff and archetypal collective moments PLUS personal influences... So, for example, if right now mercury is in conjunction to Venus I take it that it has a double meaning, say good communication regarding love/affective matters at both a collective level and an individual level (say, both an individual falling in love and advancement of issues such as the elimination of domestic violence or perhaps gay marriage).

Now this is my question:

what are personal planetary transits
(the planet's movement

In regard to where the planets were

at the moment of birth)

good for?

Cuz I assume it means it effects personal matters but then what are the objective transits a person's current location good for? What are personal transits good for if we have current geography transits for all? Or alternatively, What are current geography transits good for at an individual level if we have personal transits?

I prefer to work with planetary transits only, avoiding the zodiac, (a la Richard Tarnas) at this time.
Your thread is now on General Astrology forum
Transits are significant when emphasised by the Lord of the Year
that is the planet that is ruler of the planet ruling the yearly PROFECTION
To profect a natal chart
count around the chart
until the house of the year required
and then
make that the first house of the profected chart

Planets in the new angles of the profected chart
are strong and effective for the profected year
The planets found in cadant houses will be ineffective.
If the sect has changed take that into account as well

Paulus gave one of the clearer expositions of the basic technique:
As many years as the nativity should spin out,
we pass these through from the hour-marking zōidion [sign],
giving the first year of engendered time to the Hōroskopos [ascending sign]
and the second to the post-ascension of the Hōroskopos [2nd place],
and so on for the rest in the following zōidia [signs],
until the 12th number should be completed.

Basic Technique: Annual Profections of the Ascendant :smile:
http://www.sevenstarsastrology.com/?p=362

Paulus quote illustrates basic profections,
of Ascendant from one sign to next for each year of life.
Paulus gives examples, of how the Profection ruler becomes “lord of the year”.
The technique is easy - requires no computer software,
there are no specific degrees invlved,
rather just discrete hops from one place in the chart
to the next
at intervals of time.

The technique is “circumambulation”
meaning a “walking around” the chart. Seven Stars Astrology

attachment.php

JUPITERASC

Hey, thanks for your answer.

I'll try to clarify... These are New York's aspects for today:
Moon Conjunction Mercury Orb 2°48'
Sun Conjunction Mercury Orb 10°22
Moon Opposite Saturn Orb 0°01'
Mercury Opposite Saturn Orb 2°46'
Venus Opposite Mars Orb 7°20'
Venus Square Uranus Orb 0°26'
Mars Square Jupiter Orb 6°00'
Mars Square Uranus Orb 6°54'
Sun Square Neptune Orb 7°08'
Jupiter Trine Neptune Orb 2°08'
Saturn Trine Uranus Orb 5°21'
Moon Trine Jupiter Orb 7°31'
Mercury Sextile Uranus Orb 2°35'
Neptune Sextile Pluto Orb 4°10'
Moon Sextile Uranus Orb 5°23'
Moon Inconjunction Mars Orb 1°30'
Sun Inconjunction Pluto Orb 2°58'
Uranus SemiSquare Neptune Orb 0°03'
Sun SesquiQuadrate Mars Orb 0°18'
Venus SesquiQuadrate Neptune Orb 0°30'

this aspects are different from my personal planet transits... What is what I quoted and what is it good for? I know it's good for archetypal collective events, as I learned from reading Richard Tarnas. But what about the personal realm and how is it different from the influence of personal transits?
guidance on transits using PROFECTIONS :smile:

''before all, it is necessary to investigate the lord of the year and its mixture and position and phase, and the planets that see it by fixity and by transit, and how it was situated at the nativity, and how it was found at the time of the transit.'' - Hephaistio of Thebes, Apotelesmatics Book II Schmidt translation p. 81

There is a bit of difference from author to author on how to use Annual Profections. Everyone agrees that the ruler of the sign using the above mentioned diagram is ''Lord of the Year''. What Oddity alludes to is an approach in Valens and some authors of activated planets taking over the Lord of the Year in the given sign, even transiting ones in Valens. ''If one of the stars in transit has entered this place, then it will be transmitting the chronocratorship.''

Dorotheus does not change Rulers, and combines annual profection with a solar revolution as a transiting chart to evaluate its strength over the year. Note that Valens is somewhat innovating with Profections as he walks every single thing in the chart - all planets, places and lots. Personally I do not like that approach at all. I look at the planets in the activated signs as more powerful, but not as Time Lords. Also I do not profect anything but the Hour-Marker. I've also noticed Lord of the Year transits as well as transits over the whole year through the activated places as powerful as well.

Notice how all Hellenistic astrologers suddenly start talking about transits when using profections. This seems to originate from the founder of yearly and monthly profections - King Nechepso who provided some delineations, quoted by Valens:

''The native obtains great advancement if the star of Jupiter, while being chronocrator, is at MC or in the Place of Accomplishment with the star of Mars. When Jupiter and Mars are providing the active impulse, it will be necessary to see if the star of Saturn is coming into a transit or opposition, with the result that the chronocratorship of occupations becomes contrary. If <Mercury> is favorably situated at the nativity, the native will engage in greater activities, proportionate to the distinction of the nativity - for this is changed to that and that is changed to this by differences in the hours of birth...'' - Valens Book VII p. 137 Riley

I think the reason Valens and others changed the original idea, is that they started looking at profections as in terms of places, while I believe the original approach was to look at the Ruler of the Sign. The technique originally was to establish the Lord of the Year, not the house of the year. Notice Nechepso's monthly profection:

''The King had this opinion about the operative month: determine the distance from the sun’s current position to the moon’s position at birth, then count that distance from the Ascendant. It will be necessary to examine the ruler of the sign where the count stops to see if it is in operative signs, and to make a judgement about the stars in conjunction or in aspect, whether benefic or malefic. (For day births, determine the distance from the moon’s current position to the sun’s position at birth; count that from the Ascendant'' - Valens, p. 97 Riley

It emphasizes the Ruler, not the place of the profection. That is how I use profections. In my opinion annual profections can be separated into two categories of Lord of the Year and Ruling Place approaches. I believe Paulus follows Nechepso.

waybread

Mario, if I understand your question correctly.....

A lot of transits probably won't affect you in terms of aspects. The ones that probably will affect you will conjunct or make a major aspect to one of your natal planets or chart angles.

However, the planets in motion are also transiting through your houses, and they tend to highlight the affairs of that house.

In mundane astrology you might find transits relating to a major event that affects people at a much broader level, such as a natural disaster or national election. In that case, individual charts get subsumed under the horoscope of a place or nation. For example, if a city has a natural disaster like a tsunami or earthquake that kills 300 people, they won't all have the same chart, but the city has a "birth date" as well, so that's the one we'd probably look at. (Possibly the individual charts would show something, but there's no way to find out.)

One thing you might do is keep a brief diary of events in your life for a week or so, and then go back and see what were the transits. If you can recall them, also pay attention to dream images, as these often reflect astrological symbolism.

To do this well, you need to know about planetary rulerships of different phenomena. A good desk reference is Rex E. Bils, The Rulership Book, available through amazon or the American Federation of Astrologers.