accidental debilities

DeLaSoul

I am wondering if astrologers nowadays still use -5 points for a retrograde planet, - 4 points for 8th/6th houses, or for example -5 points if a planet is in hard aspect with a malefic.

I use traditional planets as rulers btw, outers as 'co-rulers'. Guess you could say my approach is somewhat unorthodox.. but I'm trying to score my planets precisely as possible. The scores solar fire gives seem somewhat off... my Jupiter gets +11 points though it is exactly opposing malefics/retrograde/out of sect. any help is appreciated :smile:

DeLaSoul

mainly asking this question because I notice some astrologers use accidental dignities but seem to ignore accidental debilities (like they won't give negative points for cadent houses/out of sect) so i'm a bit confused

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I don't know what solarfire runs as it's rules, but there should be a way to go into your preferences and edit them accordingly. There may also be a way you can go in and check yourself to see how and why it scored everything the way it did. Keep in mind that any planet not in the Sun's Beams gets an automatic +5. :D

dr. farr

Traditionalist practitioners still use the basic point system outlined in Lilly. I myself have long abandoned point systems (I just use either + or - and then total the results), but that is another story (and I am an eclectic, so that must be taken into account as well)
By comparison, Vedic astrology (mainstream Parasara especially) uses an intricate point system that makes Lilly's look like child's play by comparison; they call this system of points "shadbala" and it plays an important role in Vedic delineative practice.

Moog

I think you have to dig into the details and figure out every nuance of the points system, then you can decide for yourself how much weight to give any given factor in a delineation. And you can add your own as well, if you think Lily missed something important or useful. I used to give or deduct points for sect considerations as well

It's also important to compare a lot of charts and the people or events that go with them, so you can get a sense of whether the points system is reflecting reeality

+5 for not being combust is a bit like being praised for not turning up to work drunk, I'd deduct some.

I don't know if I'd weight my Jupiter/Regulus conjunction with 6 whole points... feels a bit excessive. Hard to say though.

Retrograde is an interesting example, there was a thread around that I started. There's some doubt as to exactly what effect retrograde status of a planet does. Lots of ideas though.

At the end of the day, I think points systems are more valuable as tools to get some quantitative sense of astrological effects as you're learning, then with experience you can just see what's cracking on.

JUPITERASC

Where I work, being on fire is a euphemism for doing a good job. However, spontaneous combustion is bad for business...:smile:
Interesting insight... being fired up aka enthusiastic... when relating to planets that would depend how close to the Sun so planets 15 degrees from the Sun may be regarded as enthused whereas any closer and they're burnt toast :smile:

anoop.indirapuramghazibad

Regarding Shadbal, I will like to add one thing
This Shadbal is calculated on the basis of following six points
1. Positional Strength, 2. Directional Strength 3. Kaal bal, 4. Cheshta Bal 5. Naisargik Bal, 6. Aspect Strength

dr. farr

And, because of these numerouse and varying point systems and their intricacies, now you know why I just use + or -, and then total it all up for a net result!
I guess this simplistic (but very effective, at least for me) outlook earns me yet another nickname:
"Dr. Simpleton" :sideways:!!