Meaning of signs derived from planetary rulers or independent?

pschutz

Hello everybody,

I have just read that in the beginings of traditional astrology the meanings of signs have been based on the planetary rulers assigned to them.

I always thought that planets and the zodiac signs where the two basic blocs of astrology, each having it's own definitions based on behaviour/appearence in the sky.

So is all of astrology derived from planets ?

Can anybody point me to relevant resources about this?

petosiris

Banned
Hello everybody,

I have just read that in the beginings of traditional astrology the meanings of signs have been based on the planetary rulers assigned to them.

I always thought that planets and the zodiac signs where the two basic blocs of astrology, each having it's own definitions based on behaviour/appearence in the sky.

Hello,

It is a fascinating topic, but one difficult to get into because we do not know exactly how the meaning of the signs came, when and from whom. It probably was a gradual development process.

One important point to understand right away is that signs are different from planets and have independent meanings. Otherwise, there would have been 7 signs instead of 12. Aside from gender and quadruplicity, the signs, even those ruled by the same planet, have dozens of unique qualities.

''They have also attached other descriptions to the signs, derived from their shapes; I refer, for example, to "four-footed," "terrestrial," "commanding," "fecund," and similar appellations. These, since their reason and their significance are directly derived, we think it superfluous to enumerate, since the quality resulting from such conformations can be explained in connection with those predictions wherein it is obviously useful.'' - Ptolemy, translated by Robbins - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/1B*.html#12

Aries is commanding and semi-barren, while Scorpio is servile and prolific. Taurus is quadrupedal, while Libra is anthropomorphic. As you can see, many significations of the signs are ''directly derived'' by reason of the constellational images. Taurus is connected with enraging matters (Zoroaster), while Libra with eloquence. Valens connects Aquarius with work in hard materials and carrying burdens.

Many authors list Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces as prolific, but also productive of skin diseases because of their rough skin (like scales). In some instances, specific fixed stars coloured significations of the signs. Ptolemy, Valens and Rhetorius list Taurus as blinding because of the Pleaides, or Scorpio because of the ''Ptolemy Cloud'' (the asterism at the scorpion's sting). Each sign is also given different medical signification in the melothesia (Aries - Head, Scorpio - Reproductive Organs).

There are some interesting instances where some significations of the planets are derived from the signs (rather than the other way around). This is pretty clear in Valens and Ptolemy who connect Saturn with naval matters, sailors and all waterside trades. This is because Saturn is allotted Capricorn and Aquarius, two moist signs.

Another explicit instance of this, is that Vettius Valens (or the one who wrote the chapter in his Anthology) connects Mars with clothing because of the Ram. - ''Of materials, it rules iron, decoration of clothing (because of Aries), as well as wine and beans.'' - translated by Riley, https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

It becomes clear from this that it was not one-sided process, but going both ways - signs deriving significations from the rulers, and the rulers deriving some significations from the signs. Many of the significations, therefore, could only have come after the creation of the Thema Mundi in early Hellenistic astrology.

https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf - you can read chapter I and II for significations of the planets and signs and compare them

Last edited:

pschutz

First of all, thank you for the detailed answer.

Hello,
Otherwise, there would have been 7 signs instead of 12.

Just one point to that. In my knowledge twelwe is exactly the number of planets the ancient had: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are different during day and night, while Sun and Moon have been considered the same. So, this way they had 12 archetypes fitting to twelwe signs.

I stumbled upon this whole topic while reading about the differences between tropical and sidereal zodiacs. And what bothers me is the construction of the zodiacal mythology. If we use the tropical zodiac the sign meaning should come only from the properties of the sun-earth relationship and not from the actual constellation that has shifted and shouldn't be imported in the first place, right?

JUPITERASC

Just one point to that. In my knowledge twelwe is exactly the number of planets the ancient had: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are different during day and night, while Sun and Moon have been considered the same. So, this way they had 12 archetypes fitting to twelwe signs.
nevertheless, the ancients had seven classical planets visible in the skies
Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn :smile:

I stumbled upon this whole topic while reading about the differences between tropical and sidereal zodiacs. And what bothers me is the construction of the zodiacal mythology. If we use the tropical zodiac the sign meaning should come only from the properties of the sun-earth relationship and not from the actual constellation that has shifted and shouldn't be imported in the first place, right?

pschutz

So, I am reading through Valens and his style of explaining the signs (as far as I can understand because english is not my native language, nor are ancient translations easy to understand even for natives) he uses a triple combination of: constaletation/stars, weather (kind of sun-earth relationship) and mythology derrived from the sign name.

Well ... yes, zodiacs remains a difficult topic in astrology.

petosiris

Banned
So, I am reading through Valens and his style of explaining the signs (as far as I can understand because english is not my native language, nor are ancient translations easy to understand even for natives) he uses a triple combination of: constaletation/stars, weather (kind of sun-earth relationship) and mythology derrived from the sign name.

Well ... yes, zodiacs remains a difficult topic in astrology.

Yes, you are 100% correct.

Kinda neat, but there is no historical evidence of the Babylonians connecting the constellations with rulership as far as I am aware.

Correct. This is one of the reasons I switched to a sidereal zodiac, most of the Hellenistic qualities are derived from the constellations. But this is just my opinion. You can assign the tropical meteorological significations on top of them, and even make judgement and prognostication based on both like Valens is doing. Of course, you can't do exactly what Valens or Ptolemy did because they are out of sync now (they are out of sync with their time, but that does not mean you can't synchronize them today, sadly no one has attempted such necessary endeavor).

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
So, this way they had 12 archetypes fitting to twelwe signs.

The most likely reason, if not certainly, for there being 12 constellations, is that there are roughly twelve synodic months in a year.

Initially the Babylonians had even more constellations on the ecliptic because they observed the path of the Moon. However, according to academia, by the 5th century they had standardized them to twelve equal sidereal signs, which allowed for great accuracy in the estimation of eclipses, aside from tables of the planetary orbits of the seven stars which led to astounding development in astronomy, eventually continued by the Greeks.

Last edited:

muchacho

Hello everybody,

The signs represent a higher level of reality than the planets. The astrological pecking order is signs --> planets --> houses.

waybread

Hello everybody,

A good source is Gavin White, Babylonian Star Lore. See also (an older source) Rupert Gleadow, The Origin of the Zodiac.

Basically our zodiac of signs (30-degree pie-sectors of the heavens) was based upon constellations of the same name. The Babylonians are credited with codifying them, but they came to natal astrology pretty late in their history, being mostly focused on what we today call mundane astrology (of king and country.) The Babylonians previously used a lot of additional constellations, asterisms, and fixed stars both on and off the ecliptic; what Bernadette Brady calls "visual astrology."

By about 500 BCE, the Babylonians began to shift from constellations (which are of widely varying widths) to 30-degree sectors, which made it a lot easier to calculate eclipses.

I don't think it's fair to say that the meanings of astrological signs are based upon the meanings of their planetary rulers, as historically this came somewhat later, probably from the ancient Hellenistic astrologers. Sign rulers also appear to be a more recent invention than planetary exaltations. There is some debate as to whether the Egyptians or Babylonians first used exaltations, but they certainly predate sign rulerships (domiciles.)

It's not certain who first proposed domiciles, as the earliest history of Hellenistic horoscopic astrology is lost. However, Ptolemy (ca. 150 CE) did popularize them. You're probably familiar with his "tree" or scheme of traditional rulerships, starting with the moon (Cancer) and sun (Leo). Then the rulerships are assigned based upon distance from the sun and moon (in a geocentric solar system) as well as their time from the summer solstice.

Also, as Petosiris pointed out here, the signs traditionally had all kinds of meanings unrelated to their assigned planetary rulers.

waybread

Ptolemy, author of Tetrabiblos, didn't invent the tropical zodiac, but he did popularize it. He very much linked signs to their status as solsticial, equinoctal, or in between. Then you have daylight increasing or decreasing in length, and the sun moving north (summer) or south (winter)-- all of this northern hemisphere.

Some distinction was made as to whether Mercury and Venus appeared as the morning star or evening star, but the Hellenists knew these were the same planet. Calculations of planetary positions began with the Babylonians and ephemerides were in widespread use during the Hellenistic period.

The "tree" of sign rulerships: Read the first column up and the second column down.

moon=Cancer (solstice), sun=Leo (hottest month)
Mercury=Gemini...................Virgo
Venus=Taurus......................Libra
Mars=Aries..........................Scorpio
Jupiter=Pisces................ .....Sagittarius
Saturn=Aquarius.................Capricorn (solstice)

petosiris

Banned
It's not certain who first proposed domiciles, as the earliest history of Hellenistic horoscopic astrology is lost. However, Ptolemy (ca. 150 CE) did popularize them. You're probably familiar with his "tree" or scheme of traditional rulerships, starting with the moon (Cancer) and sun (Leo). Then the rulerships are assigned based upon distance from the sun and moon (in a geocentric solar system) as well as their time from the summer solstice.

Considering that dozens of thousands of people have used that for 3 centuries without hearing of Ptolemy, I can't see how Ptolemy could have popularized the domicile assignments. Even those who mention those (Firmicus and Paulus), associate them with the Thema Mundi and Nechepso and Petosiris.

Btw, are you familiar with De Mundo by Pseudo-Aristotle. It's seven-zone is 1:1 with the Thema Mundi, the Moon is the nearest, then the Sun, then the other five planets instead of the more popular seven-zone endorsed by Ptolemy (and countless others). In the more popular seven zone, you need a bit more abstraction to put the Moon first, and then the Sun, and then the five stars to male and female. The question then would be, did the constellations of Cancer and Leo play no role in this a bit strange assignment.

Last edited:

pschutz

When I am thinking about this, one more question comes to my mind: what's the point of the sidereal zodiac then?

Everything I have read about the diferences of the two pointed out that the sidereal zodiac is the real one, because it copies the real sky. That's obviously wrong, as it also ignores the different lengths of the constellations but gets the precession right.

@Petosiris: You mentioned that you have done a switch to it. You are very informed on this topic, could you explain this a bit more? I assume that a large part of the argumentation will be that I have read articles from people that themself didn't understand the sidereal zodiac :) This seems correct, I am just starting with astrology and trying to filter through the various sources. But you mention that you wanted to use it because it more closely follows the hellenistic traditions of the constellations, but then, what about the different lengths and additional constellations that aren't part of it?

waybread

Considering that dozens of thousands of people have used that for 3 centuries without hearing of Ptolemy, I can't see how Ptolemy could have popularized the domicile assignments. Even those who mention those (Firmicus and Paulus), associate them with the Thema Mundi and Nechepso and Petosiris.

Btw, are you familiar with De Mundo by Pseudo-Aristotle. It's seven-zone is 1:1 with the Thema Mundi, the Moon is the nearest, then the Sun, then the other five planets instead of the more popular seven-zone endorsed by Ptolemy (and countless others). In the more popular seven zone, you need a bit more abstraction to put the Moon first, and then the Sun, and then the five stars to male and female. The question then would be, did the constellations of Cancer and Leo play no role in this a bit strange assignment.

Petosiris, as you know, most astrological works were lost after the Hellenistic period, some to resurface later, and some known now only indirectly and obliquely through other authors who cited them. For good or for ill, the Ptolemaic tradition continued through Muslim astrology, and in part due to his late ancient promoters like Porphyry. Throughout the medieval and Renaissance centuries, his influence on astrology as a university subject was significant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrabiblos#Editions_and_translations

Ptolemy appears to have done his best to strip astrology of the mysticism and religious roots of Egyptian astrology, and to place astrology as a "science" within the prevailing Aristotelian framework.

I'm, of course, familiar with the Thema Mundi, but not with the source you mention. Have you got a link or citation for it? I'd love to see it.

petosiris

Banned
Petosiris, as you know, most astrological works were lost after the Hellenistic period, some to resurface later, and some known now only indirectly and obliquely through other authors who cited them. For good or for ill, the Ptolemaic tradition continued through Muslim astrology, and in part due to his late ancient promoters like Porphyry. Throughout the medieval and Renaissance centuries, his influence on astrology as a university subject was significant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrabiblos#Editions_and_translations

Ptolemy appears to have done his best to strip astrology of the mysticism and religious roots of Egyptian astrology, and to place astrology as a "science" within the prevailing Aristotelian framework.

I'm, of course, familiar with the Thema Mundi, but not with the source you mention. Have you got a link or citation for it? I'd love to see it.

According to professor David Pingree (see From Astral Omens to Astrology), the Aristotelian rework of astrology was done in the first century BC (he partly makes this argument on the basis of last chapters of Hephaistio's Book I, which are attributed to early Hellenistic Nechepso and Petosiris material that is dependant on Babylonian sources, there is a reference to Saturn being cold due to being in the seventh sphere). For the Babylonian influence on those passages see - ''“Some Details on the Transmission of Astral Omens” in From the Banks of the Euphrates: Festschrift in Honor of Alice Louise Slotsky, ed. M. Ross, pp. 295-314 (2007: Eisenbrauns)''

Pingree actually makes some strong arguments that astrology originates as a science in Alexandria, and that the Babylonian stuff should be considered divination instead. This is clear in the attack by Cicero on divination, that he is criticizing celestial influence and meteorological astrology rather than just omens.

Now that I have read enough sources, I have to agree with this conclusion. (although for a debate and evidence that not everyone agreed with it, see the chapter in Chris Brennan's book or Plotinus) I can quote passages attributed to Nechepso, Teucer, Valens and Dorotheus that espouse causal cosmological principles, and those people were not even aware of Ptolemy. Based on that, I think Ptolemy's influence on astrology is a bit overrated, especially by people who know Hellenistic astrology only by Ptolemy (which I believe would include you). This is why a number of times Valens has to defend his principles as natural (Riley translates the Hellenistic word as scientific!) rather than numerological, even though they are obviously numerological which are the numbers and lots that Ptolemy criticizes. (What I am saying that some astrologers were causalists, but still allowed for the 30th year, month or day of Saturn to pass as an astronomical technique rather than a numerological, that is what he does when he refers to ''mutual returns''.).

For a translation of De Mundo, check the following link:
https://ia801408.us.archive.org/16/items/demundoarisrich/demundoarisrich.pdf

It is not a very large text, but I am unable to find the reference to the spheres at the moment. I will also reply to pschutz in a few hours.

Edit:
The position nearest to this sphere [of the fixed stars - my insertion] is occupied by the so-called circle of the ' Shining star ', or Cronos; next is that of the 'Beaming star', which also bears the name of Zeus ; then follows the circle of the ' Fiery star', called by the names both of Heracles and of Ares ; next comes the * Glistening star ', which some call sacred to Hermes, others sacred to Apollo ; after that is the circle of the ' Light-bearing star', which some call the star of Aphrodite, others the star of Hera ; then comes the circle of the Sun, and lastly that of the Moon, which borders on the Earth. The ether encompasses the heavenly bodies and the area over which they are ordained to move. - see 392 a

Actually, I appear to be mistaken. Mercury is placed above Venus. However, the Sun and the Moon are nearest to Earth. There were a few variants of similar concentric spheres in Hellenistic astronomy. This text dates to the third century BC, yet it contains many of the concepts of Hellenistic cosmology/astrology, it is full of dry and moist stuff.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
When I am thinking about this, one more question comes to my mind: what's the point of the sidereal zodiac then?

The point of the sidereal zodiac is that it works, and the best evidence is to try it out.

Everything I have read about the diferences of the two pointed out that the sidereal zodiac is the real one, because it copies the real sky. That's obviously wrong, as it also ignores the different lengths of the constellations but gets the precession right.

I do not understand the point of your first sentence since both zodiacs happen to use the actual sky. The difference is that the tropical zodiac is based on the seasons, while the sidereal zodiac is based on the constellations. As you noted, the Hellenistic astrologers considered both, either because they were not aware of precession (Valens) or did not matter to them at the time (Ptolemy).

The argument about the length of the constellations is overrated. The fact is that they all fall roughly within their boundaries to the extent that 99% of sidereal astrologers have their zodiacs all within a range of 2-3 degrees compared to the 25 degree difference to the tropical zodiac. (see also - https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=876390&postcount=50)

Note that it was recently brought to my attention that the IAU boundaries might have been different from the ancient ones:

''Thus, if the retrospective search for the location of the vernal point at focuses on the time of Hipparchus, one can hardly resist the suspicion that Hipparchus himself has taken a hand in modifying the constellation outlines to bring this about. For this there is some evidence. Inspection of the zodiacal figurations within their thirty-degree compartments (most conveniently depicted in Bouche-Leclercq 131 ff.) reveals that some displacement of the zodiacal figures has taken place. For example : Cancer’s territory once obviously extended into Gemini, just as on the other side Leo’s head and front paws protrude ten degrees or more into Cancer : the sign’s boundary has been adjusted to secure sb0° as the solstitial point. Exactly the same has happened in respect of Capricorn : no wonder Manilius calls it a cramped constellation, for whilst it has plenty of room to stretch in Sagittarius, it is outrageously elbowed aside by Aquarius ; but an explanation lies to hand if its boundaries have been redrawn to secure V^0° as the autumnal point.'' - Manilius, & Goold, G. P. (1985). Astronomica. BG Teubner.

I personally can see and draw a much larger crab and ram, but that may be just me.

But you mention that you wanted to use it because it more closely follows the hellenistic traditions of the constellations, but then, what about the different lengths and additional constellations that aren't part of it?

The sidereal zodiac is based on twelve constellations on the ecliptic. The reason of 12 x 30 degrees, or the constellations themselves may seem arbitrary, but that is what the Babylonians used - constellations and a sexigesimal system.

First and foremost, the sidereal zodiac is traditional because it originates in antiquity, and was used by everyone in antiquity, it was the original and dominant form of the twelve-fold circle. All Babylonian and most of the Hellenistic astrologers used a sidereal zodiac since they put the equinoxes and solstices either at the 8th, 10th or 15th degree of the images (there was debate about the correct degree since the Sun is difficult to observe relative to the stars).

However there is no mention of a zodiac that begins with the vernal equinox until the astronomer Hipparchus in the 2nd century BC (some astronomers like Apollinarius followed suit, while others like Eudoxus before him had them placed at the middle of the signs). Astrologically, as far as I am aware, a brief mention can be found in Manilius and in a summary of the first century astrologer (court astrologer of Emperor Tiberius and compiler/editor of Plato's works) Thrasyllus, who actually criticizes it: "the tropics are not made at the first degree of a sign, as some maintain, but at the eighth degree."

Here is what recently an academic said about the hundreds of uncovered Hellenistic horoscopes: ''it cannot be emphasized too strongly that up to the present we have not seen a single complete horoscope computed for the date before the late fourth century that, taken as a whole, fits Ptolemy's tropical frame of reference better than the common sidereal frame of reference, not a single table other than Ptolemy's that assumes a solar longitudinal period less than 365 1/4 days.'' - Jones, A. (Ed.). (2009). Ptolemy in perspective: use and criticism of his work from antiquity to the nineteenth century (Vol. 23). Springer Science & Business Media.

Ptolemy's arguments and adoption of the tropical zodiac were not immediately accepted, and people continued to use sidereal tables well into the middle ages. The best counter-argument I got to this was that calculations did not matter, but what mattered was their ''thinking''. Note, that at the time of Ptolemy, the Babylonian zodiac was less than a degree apart from the tropical. Eventually parts of Hellenistic astrology were transmitted to India, and the Indians still use only a sidereal zodiac to this day.

Secondly, it is plausible rather than impossible. If the zodiac was based on the seasons, Cardano and Campanella argued that it should be reversed for the newly inhabited Southern Hemisphere, some traditional astrologers, acolytes of Ptolemy (http://www.cieloeterra.it/eng/eng.index.html) today also argue for the reversal.

However, reversing all signs (or just the essential dignities and significations) in the Southern Hemisphere does not fix problems at all, it actually brings more ( https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/equinox-not-equal.html ), this change can easily necessitate many zodiacs for different latitudes - https://books.google.bg/books?id=FE...v=onepage&q=Cardano reversal tropical&f=false

Even without considering the Sun's motion, the simple fact that you do not make most astrological judgement based on whether it rained or it was 35°C or whether the month was hot in Egypt or cold in Rome should make anyone question this silly argument. (Even though that may be significant in itself, it is obvious that tropical astrologers completely ignore that.)

Thirdly, as you found out yourself many core significations of the signs are ''directly derived'' from the constellations. This is because the signs clearly originate after the imagery of the constellations, their names being an argument by themselves.

The other extra-zodiacal constellations, of which Ptolemy gives 36, are never reached by the planets so obviously they are not as important as the 12 zodiacal constellations. In my opinion, it is better to use those constellations as paranatellonta with the Ascendant and the 7 planets rather ecliptical projection - https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=908585&postcount=2
They are to be examined in the same way as the signs.

Fourthly, as to daylight based techniques such as antiscia, it is notable that the early Hellenistic astrologers used antiscia based on sextiles and trines which are impossible in the tropical zodiac. As to the fact that some people on this forum believe that by using the sidereal zodiac makes you somehow live without understanding of the seasons (or without access to weather forecasting) furnishes no suitable or acceptable argument.

I am sure there is more to it. Even some tropical astrologers testify for precession-corrected transits and solar returns. In my opinion, all mention of planetary cycles and returns in Vettius Valens and elsewhere deserve only sidereal measurement since it is absurd to measure ''returns'' relative to the moving equinoxes (instead of a fixed zodiac). A sidenote to that topic is that a known tropical astrologer in the 16th century Francesco Giuntini (Junctinus) advocated a return to sidereal solar returns in 16th century.

I am trying to avoid bringing the zodiac problem on this board because it can digress all topics into the dark side, so if you have more questions, maybe you could consider the chill off-topic board - https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116254

Last edited:

waybread

Petosiris, I applaud the research you've done into ancient astrology. My point about Ptolemy's popularity, however, brings astrology forward through the subsequent astrology of the Muslims, medieval and renaissance Jews and Christians. Ptolemy's cosmos was central to the "astronomy" of the medieval university's quadrivium, for example.

See, for example, Alexander Jones, ed. Ptolemy in Perspective.

Pschutz, I just came across a reference to astrologer Robert Zoller, as teaching that planets derived their meanings from their signs. Maybe this is what you learned.

pschutz

@Petosiris: Thank you for the explanation. I think I am going to be satisfied by researching all the sources you mention and reading the threads you link to. Very interesting stuff.

Just a quick check on one fact: In my understanding the Sun spends 46 days in Virgo, which means the constellation is around 46 degrees long. I was unable to verify if that is the result of IAAU redrawing, precession or it was always like this. Could you set me straight on this?

@waybread: Thank you very much for your constructive opposition in this topic. I am going to check Robert Zoller's work, from what I am reading it seems more and more that in fact the constellation mythology has inspired all meaning in astrology.

petosiris

Banned
In my understanding the Sun spends 46 days in Virgo, which means the constellation is around 46 degrees long. I was unable to verify if that is the result of IAAU redrawing, precession or it was always like this.

The IAU constellations are the same as the ones catalogued by Ptolemy (some scholars believe he copy-pasted Hipparchus' star catalogue with his precession 100 year value, but others object to that). It is why he says: ''For example, Leo, Virgo, and Sagittarius make them larger; others, as Pisces, Cancer, and Capricorn, smaller.'' -http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/3C*.html#11

Virgo is a large constellation compared to Cancer and Capricorn, while Pisces is seen as cramped, sallow or hunchbacked. Example: Virgo Rising, Saturn with Taurus, Jupiter with Sagittarius, Mars with Taurus, Sun with Aries, Venus with Gemini, Mercury with Pisces, Moon with Sagittarius, Ascending Node with Capricorn, preceding Full Moon with Libra. Dwayne Johnson is large, well-proportioned and graceful wrestler and actor because of Virgo and the Bow of the Archer, and because of angular Mercury, and for the Sun was exalted to the degree. The Hellenistic astrologers based their prognostication of the body and personality (the soul) mostly on the rising sign and the Moon, the delineations in Valens and Rhetorius say so. Note that there was a bit of debate as to whether Mercury signifies wrestlers, athletes and robust physique, or small people, Rhetorius lists both (the early astrologers associate it with athletes). In my opinion, it makes people larger rather than the more common presumption.

Another example: Gemini Rising, Saturn with Cancer, Jupiter with Libra, Mars with Taurus, Sun with Cancer, Venus with Cancer, Mercury with Gemini, Moon with Sagittarius, Ascending Node with Taurus, preceding New Moon with Cancer. The Governator became powerful and eminent strongman, and an actor, and then governor in the 57th year because the Lightbringer was with the Bow of the Archer, the trigon rulers were operative, and because Mercury was rising from the beams in the east, and because it exchanged rays with Jupiter. In the tropical zodiac, Cancer is rising and the Moon is with Capricorn, which Ptolemy associates with small people. Conversely the sidereal zodiac changes those to Gemini and Sagittarius. Note the strong Mercury.

''In particular, the constellations both within and outside of the zodiac which are of human shape produce bodies which are harmonious of movement and well-proportioned; those however which are of other than human shape modify the bodily proportions to correspond to their own peculiarities, and after a fashion make the corresponding parts like their own, larger and smaller, or stronger and weaker, or more and less graceful.'' - Ptolemy, translated by Robbins - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/3C*.html#11

According to Ptolemy, this is the method to be used along with the seasonal quadrants.

Last edited: