Dominant planet/sign?

I was trying to find out what my dominant planet is and I first read that the way to find that out is to check the ruler of your ascendant (in my case, Mercury because I have Virgo rising).

But then I discovered the Pullen Chart in astro.com and it tells me my dominant planet is the Sun! Is it possible to have the Sun as your dominant planet being an Aquarian?

Then it says the other dominant planet is Uranus. I tried to find information about Uranus dominance but it seems most (if not all) information available is about the original or traditional planets (no Uranus, Neptune and Pluto).

This is the Pullen result for me:

kFWzyd7.png

And this is my chart:

46DBLs8.png

Is the Pullen's data accurate? (me being a dominant Sun/dominant Aquarian) or can you help me find out the real dominant planet for me?

Pullen is not the most trustworthy source in terms of calculating your dominant planets so I wouldn't believe it. I don't know about your dominant sign(s), but I think that in terms of planets your dominant planets are Mercury and Jupiter.

P.S. Your Venus is amazing. :wink:

Thank you Solar Flare! I guess that's because Mercury is my ascendant ruler and Jupiter is close to MC right?

Oh really? Thanks! I thought having Venus in Aquarius and opposing Mars was a bad thing :lol:

Well, actually it's a bit more complicated than that. Mercury and Jupiter are almutens of your chart because they share the same score. I used Ibn Ezra's method in my calculations (you can google it). It's debatable whether this technique is very useful or not, but it's certainly interesting. I've got to say that the points you brought up also should be considered, although they're not a part of this technique.

Your Venus is in a very dignifying condition called Cazimi (within 17' of the Sun). It's extremely rare and extremely beneficial. You can consider yourself lucky. :happy: Yes, the Mars opposition isn't nice and is rather stressful but, you know, you can't have it all at the same time. :wink: Your Mars is pretty tame because it's in sect so it shouldn't be that troublesome. The opposition to Saturn is less nice in your case (yes, there is one, by sign). But at least Saturn isn't very prominent in your chart which is good.

Culpeper

Premium Member
The Moon is the strongest planet in your chart. It is the sect ruler of the chart, in the eleventh house and in its own domicile. Mercury rules both the ascendant and the tenth house. You must be an intellectual or have ability as an astrologer. The Moon indicates that you will attain your hopes and wishes in life and may have powerful friends. Moon and Mercury oppose each other indicating that they will be active in life at different times. Mercury wants the facts, but the Moon may influence by intuition.

@Solar Flare: Thank you! I will look into this Ibn Ezra's method, sounds interesting. Oh and yeah, that Cazimi, am I supposed to be extremely lucky in love? I don't think I am :lol:

@Culpeper: Interesting! I feel both the Moon and Mercury influence in my life. I'm like an overprotecting super emotive geek and yeah, sometimes I like to overthink stuff and sometimes I'm super impulsive. And I'm still learning about Astrology but I hope to become as good as many of the people on these forums. Thanks for your insight! :love:

Asking about your dominant planet is like asking someone their name and then expecting that you know all about them.

Don't numerologists claim to be able to do exactly that? :lol:

Interesting, I've also read dominant planets are very important. When I get more astrological experienc I will be able to see how important these planets are but anecdotally I feel Mercury and the Moon (like Culpeper and Solar Flare mentioned) are very powerful in my life. I'm extremely emotional for being a cold Aquarian. Who knows? :unsure: Thanks!

Last edited:

D-Rok

I'd say it's between your Sun and Saturn which are in mutual reception and your Moon which is in it's own domicile.

Correct me if I'm wrong but planets can't be in mutual reception if they do not form an aspect to each other. I don't think they can just be in each other's signs and be considered mutual reception.

In this case, it doesn't appear that the querent's Sun and Saturn make any aspect to each other, sadly.

HoldOrFold

Correct me if I'm wrong but planets can't be in mutual reception if they do not form an aspect to each other. I don't think they can just be in each other's signs and be considered mutual reception.

In this case, it doesn't appear that the querent's Sun and Saturn make any aspect to each other, sadly.

They're actually still in mutual reception regardless of whether they aspect each other or not. But not having an aspect weakens the positive strength of the reception. So does the fact they're both in the signs of detriment and Saturn being in the 12th house.

Regardless of the lack of positivity, it sits at the end of the disposition chain of all planets except the Moon.

Here's a good article which discusses dispositor chains about half way down the page: https://proastrologer.com/2012/10/26/essential-dignities-and-the-web-of-rulership/

"Mutual Receptions occur when two planets are in each other’s domicile sign. This means the chart winds down to a seesaw contest between the two planets in mutual reception. The governmental style here is one of two branches of government with equal powers over all areas that bicker back and forth about the best action to take."

In the case of both planets not aspecting and one in the 12th house, the 'governmental style' might be more difficult.

D-Rok

They're actually still in mutual reception regardless of whether they aspect each other or not. But not having an aspect weakens the positive strength of the reception. So does the fact they're both in the signs of detriment and Saturn being in the 12th house.

Regardless of the lack of positivity, it sits at the end of the disposition chain of all planets except the Moon.

Here's a good article which discusses dispositor chains about half way down the page: https://proastrologer.com/2012/10/26/essential-dignities-and-the-web-of-rulership/

"Mutual Receptions occur when two planets are in each other’s domicile sign. This means the chart winds down to a seesaw contest between the two planets in mutual reception. The governmental style here is one of two branches of government with equal powers over all areas that bicker back and forth about the best action to take."

In the case of both planets not aspecting and one in the 12th house, the 'governmental style' might be more difficult.

Awesome, thanks. That answers a few questions I had about mutual reception. I appreciate that.

fifteen

The Sun is always at the center. At least, it should sit in the center of the star of creation, which resides inside of ourselves as a micro cosmos.

The question about dominant planets, I think, is a somewhat erroneous one. Unless you seek some sort of remedy against a strong influence. Yet, I cannot help to think that each moment of the day will shift the energy around and so nothing is permanent, nothing is dominant and fixed.

So my question would then be: what is your aim? why do you want to know what you want to know? I think that would produce some further insight.

A graphic to illustrate what I mean by that:

b85e9-39855_414536789439_714844439_4610561_361198_n.jpg

Last edited:
So my question would then be: what is your aim? why do you want to know what you want to know? I think that would produce some further insight.
Hmm, my aim is to know myself better :happy:

By the way, can anyone tell me how important is a mutual reception in a chart? I mean compared to aspects, houses, etc.

Vampirela

I was trying to find out what my dominant planet is and I first read that the way to find that out is to check the ruler of your ascendant (in my case, Mercury because I have Virgo rising).

But then I discovered the Pullen Chart in astro.com and it tells me my dominant planet is the Sun! Is it possible to have the Sun as your dominant planet being an Aquarian?

Then it says the other dominant planet is Uranus. I tried to find information about Uranus dominance but it seems most (if not all) information available is about the original or traditional planets (no Uranus, Neptune and Pluto).

This is the Pullen result for me:

kFWzyd7.png

And this is my chart:

46DBLs8.png

Is the Pullen's data accurate? (me being a dominant Sun/dominant Aquarian) or can you help me find out the real dominant planet for me?

You have sun mercury and venus in 5th house witch is leo house plus you have mars and saturn in leo

HYS

I honestly don't understand why anybody still uses Pullen, besides been the first computerized dominant calculator, there is not much else to it .. that was 40 years ago? I rarely meet anybody who would agree with results of Pullen, still i't's the first thing to be used and recommended ...

We have made our own dominant planet calculator as part of the Personal Horoscope and I like it's result a lot more: https://www.horoscopeyourself.com/personal-horoscope/

Last edited:

Raakac

I honestly don't understand why anybody still uses Pullen, besides been the first computerized dominant calculator, there is not much else to it .. that was 40 years ago? I rarely meet anybody who would agree with results of Pullen, still i't's the first thing to be used and recommended ...

We have made our own dominant planet calculator as part of the Personal Horoscope and I like it's result a lot more: https://www.horoscopeyourself.com/personal_horoscope/

I can't find my country and city in this thing. :andy:

Whoam1

I believe that it's up to the individual to determine dominance through the course of their own life. The domicile exaltation mutual ridership tge planet tgat leads a stellium the planets that rule angles or are angular the planets that aspect the luminaries or are the luminaries the planet that is closest to the horizon are all just of slimming down to less options. The picture of the Sun in the middle is b.s. your are in the center of your chart the Sun is just one example of a tool box planet then other planets that are under it's rule are the tools. My tool box planets are Mars and the Sun my most used tools are Mercury and Pluto. Pluto happens to be the only planet hard aspect to a luminary, Mercury happens to be angular and both of them happen to be in Scorpio the Mars in Capricorn is exalted.

aquarius7000

Hi there,

The Sun in Aquarius is actually in its detriment because Aquarius lies opposite to the sign of Leo, which is the domicile sign of the Sun. So, no, the Sun is not dominant in your chart.

In your case, it is the Moon that is dominant. It is dignified and strong because Cancer is its domicile sign and that is where it is in your chart. Also, the Moon is in the fortunate 11th house. How is your relationship with your mother? Also, I am quite sure you make friends easily, but perhaps they come and go.

HYS

I personally would go for Saturn as dominant: he is close to the Asc (within orb of conjunction) and also the ruler of the ascendant ruler (Mercury is in Capricorn which Saturn rules), same for MC. Saturn is going to be felt strongest, in my opinion.