Most elevated planet

katydid

Hi Katy, about that...

Where would your cut-off be in regard to the most elevated planet? Say all the planets were below the horizon and the most elevated planet is a planet in the 6th house conjunct the dsc. Would you say that this planet is acts as if the most elevated?

well technically yes, but it would not be 'elevated' in the MC type of sense.

It would be important to note that it is the 'most' elevated, but that none of the planets are above the horizon, so that in itself is noteworthy.

Have you seen tight bundles in the top of the chart, with just one planet below, by the IC? That is very important as well, in terms of the 'deepest' planet, plumbing the emotional depths.

conspiracy theorist

well technically yes, but it would not be 'elevated' in the MC type of sense.

It would be important to note that it is the 'most' elevated, but that none of the planets are above the horizon, so that in itself is noteworthy.

Have you seen tight bundles in the top of the chart, with just one planet below, by the IC? That is very important as well, in terms of the 'deepest' planet, plumbing the emotional depths.

I haven't read a chart like that before actually, that would be an interest case to encounter. I do remember reading Dane Rudhyar's interpretation of Sigmund Freud's chart that had a singleton Mars in the 4th house. It was beautifully stated until you realized that he actually has a Scorpio asc.

In his verified natal chart his most elevated planet is an Rx detrimented Mars in the 12th house. That's pretty telling.

craft94

Hmm, do you think Saturn's effect is strong enough in your life like how others have spoken about there most elevated planet? Are is it more lowkey in its effects? This is not an attempt to "force" the technique but I want to be sure how it plays out in your case before I strike it out as a miss.

I'm not sure TBH.
Saturn = boundaries
Pisces = lacks boundaries
To me, it's an odd combination

I've heard that Saturn in the 10th could indicate an authoritarian father which is true in my case. My father is religious too (Pisces) and my Saturn actually conjunct a his ASC. What else does a Pisces Saturn in the 10th indicate in your opinion?

I don't think of myself as a very Saturnian person but it's possible I'm a lot more Saturnian than I think. It does exalt Libra after all and I can understand why

You don't know me well, but from the forum, do you see my Saturn as being strong?

Could an elevated Saturn make you feel "oppressed" in some way you think? Do you think it can cause/explain problems with depression?

Last edited:

!4C

Saturn = boundaries
You nailed it. Saturn and jupiter are always at odds. Saturn in one of jupiter's signs can be very erratic, going back and fourth between the two. People will see this characteristic in you and remember you for it.

Last edited:

detectahead

CT, my wife has Mars conjunct MC within 3°. Also in the 10th are Pluto and Uranus. All of this in Virgo. I will tell you this and you will find it quite interesting. 12 yrs ago we suddenly and unexpectedly found out my wife was positive for CML or leukemia. Pluto rules cancer and this is nothing but cancer of the blood. Thru a miraculous turn of events a miracle drug called "Gleevic" which was released by the FDA only 2 yrs pryor. My wife would not be here now if the FDA had not issued it's release early after 3 yrs instead of 7.
This is not the only meaning here of these placements. My wife is a seamstress and does quite a bit of custom embroidery and now (lol) heat transfer vynyl which has many applications. She does all of this on her own and yes, she does have Saturn in the 4th.

katydid

I'm interested in examples where the most elevated planet is not in the 10th house or conjunct the MC.

My most elevated planet is in the 8th.

Mars in Cap in the 8th. It conjuncts Chiron and the Moon.

Interesting that it is in the 8th, :sad:, as i am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, by my uncle and for a few years, staring about age 5...

so I think the conjunction to Chiron and the Moon kind of says it all...It has made me very guarded and confused , especially in my teen years.

I kept the ugly secret for decades. So I felt ashamed and guilty, and as a teen, acted out erratically and sexually.

Luckily, Mars is exalted, and sextiling my Scorpio Sun. So I pulled it together, went to University and began counseling there to heal from my wounds. And began to seriously study Astrology. :sideways:

Osamenor

Staff member
My most elevated planet is Uranus, conjunct my MC, just into the tenth.

I am definitely a Uranian type. I thought that was just because I have an angular Uranus. My lifestyle is unconventional in a number of ways. Never married, probably not having kids (though those things are more due to circumstance than to conscious choice), moved a lot from age 18 into my thirties (and may move some more), and never, ever had a stable career.

Career is really where I see it, which makes sense for a tenth house/MC planet. I need variety. I've had many jobs. I am the classic job hopper, although I tend to be very committed and dependable with the work I do. Many of my jobs have been seasonal or temporary, deliberately short term. Although, I just changed jobs again (surprise, surprise!) and this one promises so much variety, I might stick with it for a while. At least until I finish herbalism school and launch what I'm going to do with that.

I once had an (amateur) astrologer tell me, just from looking at my chart, that I would be seen as an oddball, but an oddball who gets along with people (Uranus in Libra at the MC). Definitely true, although I socialize with other such oddballs, mostly, so in that mix, I'm not so odd.

dr. farr

I'm interested in examples where the most elevated planet is not in the 10th house or conjunct the MC.

My Uranus (see my earlier post) is in the 11th house, and not conjunct the MC although it is the most elevated planet in the chart.

dr. farr

Dr farr, when you refer to degree of Asc and MC are you relating in terms of degrees as the decanate of the sign or something other?
And what are your factors in determining the ruler of the chart and co-ruler?
Curious,because no one can ever know enough.

No, in referring to degree of ascendant and MC I am referring to the actual rising or culminating (mid-heaven) degree: I look at these relative to any conjunction or parallel of declination they might make to planets or stars, and through stars to constellations.

Factors I use in determining rulership of the chart:
-first I consider the ruler of the ascendant; if disqualified then the planet closest (in the same sign) to the ascending degree; if disqualified then the ruler of the MC (by ruler I mean sign dispositor); if disqualified then the planet in the same sign closest to the MC degree; if disqualified then the ruler of the sign the Part of Fortune is in; if disqualified then the planet closest to the Part of Fortune (in the same sign); if disqualified then the ruler of the Sun sign; if disqualified then the planet in the same sign as the Sun and closest to it (but beyond 5 degrees of the Sun)
-after finding the Ruler of the Nativity, I use the same process to find the Co-Ruler.

What disqualifies a potential ruler or co-ruler candidate:
If the candidate planet is:
...in its Fall or
...in its Detriment or
...in a pitted degree or
...within 3 degrees conjunction with the South Node or within 1.5 degrees parallel with the South Node or
...combust the Sun (within 5 degrees of partile conjunction with the Sun)

...then the candidate planet is disqualified.

conspiracy theorist

I'm not sure TBH.
Saturn = boundaries

I've heard that Saturn in the 10th could indicate an authoritarian father which is true in my case. My father is religious too (Pisces) and my Saturn actually conjunct a his ASC. What else does a Pisces Saturn in the 10th indicate in your opinion?

The examples that I have in mind of people that have Saturn in the 10th house could be characterized as controversial, "bad" people. Some personal examples and some more public like Hitler, Lucky Luciano, Azealia Banks and USA being seen as the international police isn't the most amenable reputation you'd want to see.

Authority issues which would have effects on any job you're employed in, Employment problems, a problem with dogmatic religion are some of the things that I'd say off the top of my head.

I don't think of myself as a very Saturnian person but it's possible I'm a lot more Saturnian than I think. It does exalt Libra after all and I can understand why

You don't know me well, but from the forum, do you see my Saturn as being strong?

I see you as mainly Mercurial with your 3rd house Mars being apparent in the way you communicate. You have both your luminaries in Venusian signs but you don't come across that way to me.

Could an elevated Saturn make you feel "oppressed" in some way you think? Do you think it can cause/explain problems with depression?

Alongside your other chart placements, it could be a contributing factor. Oppression is a Saturnine word so that could also be relevant to your life.

conspiracy theorist

I must say that I appreciate all the responses that have been given thus far. It's looking more and more as if the elevated planet is a focal point in the chart that shouldn't be ignored.

Rawiri

Well...all the traditional wanderers are below the horizon in my chart.

The only things I have above the horizon at all are not "planets"...either the south node or Pluto.

South node is the most elevated of those two.

I suppose, being rather a recluse at times - at one point intending to be an ascetic yogi, being involved in the occult my whole life etc fits with Ketu. But it's hardly the only thing in my chart pointing to that...Saturn moon conjunction in the first for example being another prominent example.

katydid

Does this mars placement indicate what other people find most memorable about you?

No, I don't think so. But it is hard to say, I suppose. Because it depends upon the context of our meeting/interaction.

I have Jupiter in Taurus tightly conjunct the Ascendant. And Jupiter aspects just about every planet in my chart. [ The Mars makes very few aspects.] So I think the Jupiter is very powerful in my life.

And I think that when people meet me, and socialize with me, they see that bubbly, socially gregarious, welcoming, enthusiastic side. People see me as outgoing, expressive and optimistic.

I think that Mars/Chiron conjunction in Cap, is well hidden in the 8th.

My husband and kids do experience what they refer to as THE BOSS however, lol:innocent:

Last edited:

theV

I need to examine people's charts in my life to confirm the most elevated planet idea. I can't give feedback on the subject matter unless I have done extra research on it. I encountered the most elevated planet during my birth chart pattern reading. My chart's pattern is a locomative with Saturn as the leading planet in the 8th house. Saturn as the leading planet supposed to endowed me with a Saturnian character. However, since I am a virgo, I am already a perfectionist and critical. Two traits can be confused with Saturn. Saturn in the 8th leads to focus on matters of sexuality and occult.

conspiracy theorist

I need to examine people's charts in my life to confirm the most elevated planet idea. I can't give feedback on the subject matter unless I have done extra research on it.

I hear you loud and clear. It would do a lot of collective good if you did some more research and reported back.

I encountered the most elevated planet during my birth chart pattern reading. My chart's pattern is a locomative with Saturn as the leading planet in the 8th house. Saturn as the leading planet supposed to endowed me with a Saturnian character. However, since I am a virgo, I am already a perfectionist and critical. Two traits can be confused with Saturn. Saturn in the 8th leads to focus on matters of sexuality and occult.

This is the same problem I encounter with my own most elevated planet. It happens to be Pluto in the 12th conjunct both the Sun and Mercury. It is also the cutting planet in my bundle chart.

I'm ambivalent to Pluto which ironically is a perfect attitude to have with it being in the 12th house. I'm seeking Ego death and liberation from the body before my "true" death (among other things that I don't care to publicize). Just like Raw and yourself though, there are some other factors in the chart which would describe this kind of extreme form of spirituality.