Mars, the Bringer of War: What It Means In Your Chart

RaptInReverie

In my case, moon in Leo makes a huge difference in my chart. It is a bold moon, and whenever my Virgo influence is afriad of taking action and immobilised by worry, my moon just sweeps it aside and walks right into whatever it is I'm scared of, refusing to be cowed. I would have to say it's at the heart of most of what i've done in life...living in so many countries, following my heart, starting a business, divorcing my unstable husband, the list goes on and on...that moon makes my life interesting. And in regards to love, I do think it is very like venus in leo, very playful, very loving, and terribly VAIN. :biggrin:

Lol!!! Moon or Venus in Leo definitely serves well to balance out a humble and passive Virgo.

RaptInReverie

The result of this determination process is what colours the planets and aspects for most people as being positive or negative. Some people like Mars; it is useful, strong, protective, encouraging, direct. Other people interpret these traits as negative. The reality is Mars has not changed, only the perception of Mars has. This is similar to how one person can be inspired by lightning and another will hide from it in the closet. The nature of lightning has not changed, however.

In essence, to some people the planets/aspects/etc. are mirrors, reflecting their changing values and beliefs, needs and strengths. To others, these remain more archetypal and perennial aspects of a larger picture, of which, we are a microcosm.

Blessings,

Anachiel

Very well said, Anachiel. :)

JUPITERASC

What is a SU/MA cycle? Google is not very helpful...
SU/MA cycle aka Sun-Mars conjunction recurrence:smile:
As seen from Earth, Sun-Mars conjunctions happen approximately once every 25 months or so, on average. At this conjunction, Earth, Mars and the Sun are all aligned, with Earth and Mars on opposite sides of the Sun. This puts Mars at its annual nominal apogee position; i.e. the portion of its orbit where the Red Planet is farthest from Earth.

Last edited:

dico

Banned
You're not derailing. This thread is open to all conversation. :)

I have Jupiter 3 deg Leo and Venus 26 deg Leo (Aries' decanate). It's interesting because all my relationships have been with Aries' despite the fact that Arians and Virgoans aren't really compatible.

I have Virgo Venus (10 degrees) and almost no fire or air in my chart as far as placements go, yet I make great friends with Aries women in particular. Go figure that.

JUPITERASC

How does Mars retrograde come into this? I suppose that was my specific question. Sorry to be so confused!
Some guidance from http://cafeastrology.com/transits_marsretrograde.html :smile:
Mars Stations Retrograde and Direct - Transits to the Houses

What house(s) in your natal chart is Mars transiting when it is Stationing? Note the degree at which Mars turns Retrograde and find where that degree is found, by house, in your natal chart, then read the interpretation for Mars Stationary Retrograde. Then note the degree at which Mars then turns Direct and find that point in your natal chart (it's likely to be in the same house or an adjacent one), and read the interpretation for Mars Stationary Direct.

dico

Banned
Some guidance from http://cafeastrology.com/transits_marsretrograde.html :smile:
Mars Stations Retrograde and Direct - Transits to the Houses

What house(s) in your natal chart is Mars transiting when it is Stationing? Note the degree at which Mars turns Retrograde and find where that degree is found, by house, in your natal chart, then read the interpretation for Mars Stationary Retrograde. Then note the degree at which Mars then turns Direct and find that point in your natal chart (it's likely to be in the same house or an adjacent one), and read the interpretation for Mars Stationary Direct.

Oh, you're talking about transits! I thought JR meant natal retrograde. Thank you.

Just thought, Anachiel's comment about the perception of Mars is true in another way. If you take the difference between Aries and Mars, the mythological figures, Aries was a brute and Mars was honorable (and the "honorable Mars" archetype is the mighty image given in the original post). I think that change in perception over history of what war was, and changing beliefs of right action and wrong action, still fuels the debate on whether Mars is a malefic planet. I haven't read all 10 pages, so perhaps this has already been brought up...

I like to think that Mars is actually like momentum (to make a physics analogy). It is the character of movement, benign or otherwise. From wikipedia: "Mōmentum was not merely the motion, which was mōtus, but was the power residing in a moving object, captured by today's mathematical definitions." To me Mars is like the impetus to action. What sort of impetus results in action is shown through the placement of Mars. "What sets your Mars off?" so to speak.

JUPITERASC

Oh, you're talking about transits! I thought JR meant natal retrograde. Thank you..
I thought you meant Mars Retrograde in general terms - but were you referring to this comment?
For those who have Mars retograde the SU/MA Cycle should be studied.
Example 1990.
Mars went retrograde in Gemini,trine to conjunction in Libra.
14 Gemini back to 27 Taurus.
Period 27 August 1990 to 2 March 1991.

Mars in Gemini 2011 is different. J.R.
If so, then perhaps JerryRR shall elucidate after reading your comments

Just thought, Anachiel's comment about the perception of Mars is true in another way. If you take the difference between Aries and Mars, the mythological figures, Aries was a brute and Mars was honorable (and the "honorable Mars" archetype is the mighty image given in the original post). I think that change in perception over history of what war was, and changing beliefs of right action and wrong action, still fuels the debate on whether Mars is a malefic planet. I haven't read all 10 pages, so perhaps this has already been brought up...

I like to think that Mars is actually like momentum (to make a physics analogy). It is the character of movement, benign or otherwise. From wikipedia: "Mōmentum was not merely the motion, which was mōtus, but was the power residing in a moving object, captured by today's mathematical definitions." To me Mars is like the impetus to action. What sort of impetus results in action is shown through the placement of Mars. "What sets your Mars off?" so to speak.
We are fortunate that almost two thousand years ago, practicing astrologer Vettius Valens faithfully recorded the indications of Mars according to astrologers from previous centuries and we are also fortunate that some of those notes survived the vicissitudes of time - and fortunate that there is a free translation available online :smile:

Mars indicates force, wars, plunderings, screams, violence, whoring, the loss of property, banishment, exile, alienation from parents, capture, the deaths of wives, abortions, love affairs, marriages, the loss of goods, lies, vain hopes, strong-armed robbery, banditry, looting, quarrels among friends, anger, fighting, verbal abuse, hatreds, lawsuits. Mars brings violent murders, slashings and bloodshed, attacks of fever, ulceration, boils, burns, chains, torture, masculinity, false oaths, wandering, embassies under difficult circumstances, actions involving fire or iron, craftwork, masonry. In addition Mars causes commands, campaigns and leadership, infantrymen, governorships, hunting, wild game, falls from heights or from animals, weak vision, strokes. Of the body parts, Mars rules the head, the seat, the genitals; of the internal parts, it rules the blood, the sperm ducts, the bile, the elimination of excrement, the parts in the rear, the back, and the underside. It controls the hard and the abrupt. Of materials, it rules iron, decoration of clothing (because of Aries), as well as wine and beans. It is of the night sect, red in color and acid in taste source: http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius%20Valens%20entire.pdf

Last edited:

dico

Banned
We are fortunate that almost two thousand years ago, practicing astrologer Vettius Valens faithfully recorded the indications of Mars according to astrologers from previous centuries and we are also fortunate that some of those notes survived the vicissitudes of time - and fortunate that there is a free translation available online :smile:

Brute!! Back when astrology wasn't so touchy-feely and politically correct. :bandit:

This was before Pluto was deemed the ruler of Scorpio. That is something else to consider for what Mars represents. Hmm...

Quixotic

I have mars in sagittarius, and I assume thats what gives me such a firey temper; it flares extremely fast, but passes just as quickly. It is explosive, however.
:whistling:

hypnotiqu3

First off, great post Rapt. Interesting, well written and chock full of great ideas.

Personally, I've always viewed Mars as the physical energies behind our nature. HOW we assert ourselves and the motives, the drives, etc. that is put behind our ACTION.

Yes, Mars is absolutely a planet that bestows the physical energy we ned to move and make Be.

Secondly, (and I'm not taking sides or trying to be judgemental here - I will leave that for the scales-clad folk) both you and A50 have major highlights in what Mars represents. Remember, when dealing with matters of metaphysics, it's hardly ever black and white - meaning its hard to dispute "right" and "wrong" when trying to decipher theories and matters that have existed lonnnnnng before our inceptions.

Referring to Einstein's Law of Relativity, when everything is relative to another, it's only fair to utilize BOTH of your very acceptable viewpoints during this discussion.

Love and Light,

-Stefanie

P.S. I'm looking forward to checking out you magickal forum posts, too.

divine g

Banned
Yeah Aries Moon is an epic hothead...Leo Moon flares up easy as well, but something about can be entertaining sometimes...

Im Mars in Leo, I can make a pretty big scene

Yeah Aries Moon is an epic hothead...Leo Moon flares up easy as well, but something about can be entertaining sometimes...

Im Mars in Leo, I can make a pretty big scene

Ha, ha! I have Leo moon and I always manage to make people laugh when I'm angry!

Well, if they know me pretty well, anyway. I think it's because with all my Virgo I am usually super rational and reasonable. But when that Leo moon comes stomping out it's really kind of incongruously charming. That's what my bf says about it, anyway.

Last edited:

Love2Know

Lol twelth same here, I am all bark no bite. Plus cap mars cancer sun... Usually chills me out. I get mad for 2 seconds. As a kid I would get mean I grew out of it.

Rebel Uranian

Sun - guiding light
Moon - following light
Mercury - exchanges
Venus - reaction
Mars - action
Jupiter - expansion
Saturn - contraction
Uranus - exchanges (higher octave)
Neptune - reaction (higher octave)
Pluto - action (higher octave)

That's how I see the fundamental planetary energies (as opposed to the results of those energies.) Notice that all except Mercury and Uranus have yin/yang pairs. I consider Mercury to be thrown in with Venus and Mars, and the Merc/Venus/Mars "pair" along with the pair of lights is popularly considered the "personal planets" group. I noticed that there is a lot of -action and similar on my list. I bet I could get them all to end with -action except maybe the Sun and Moon. I don't consider the Sun and Moon to act but rather to be. The other planets act.

kimbermoon

I'm not keen on discussing generalities and cookbooks like this I prefer specifics, charts. Like I've said many times here, what is the point in just discussing one aspect of a persons chart as we are ALL multi faceted human beings, and that's how it should be.

I think it is helpful to sometimes focus on one planetary aspect to see the various ways in which a particular planet is expressed through the individual...after all RIR did initiate this thread for that specific purpose...We could all benefit by offering more personal experiences to expand the generalization of how the energies work. It is because Mars is attached to anger issues, which many individuals struggle with, that further investigation is indeed necessary, but it does no harm to know the basic underlying expression of a given planet in a sign...otherwise why is this concept repeteadly emphasized when first learning about the subject?​
My daughter has Mars in Cancer in the 12th [emotional repression] which is also configured in a number of significant aspects. Now typically you might think that Mars in Cancer would not express a tendency to be aggressive or overtly angry because of their own sensitivites, and yet she has typically been quite explosive at times because she bottles up her feelings until they reach a max, and then she blows off like a geyser [water] at the slightest hint of controversy. Again she has had problems expressing her emotions for the most part but has gradually learned how to gain greater control as she matures, which is what Moon in Aries is typically about.

I think that in part this is due to the fact that Mars and the Moon in Aries are in mutual reception. This would help to resolve the passive-aggressive tendencies in time, as I am seeing now. Now I might add that in this forum, even when the chart is displayed, the querent is often directed to various outside resources to discover for themselves the various chart factors, but again these computer read-outs seldom take the entire chart as a whole but separates them into distinct, albeit vague, interpretations. Of course we must consider the placement and aspects to determine the greater clarity of why the planet very often does not fit with the typical interpretations...
Example: Robert Hand has this to say about Mars in Cancer in the chart:​
When you are feeling positive and cheerful, you act confidently and assertively. But when you are depressed, you are more retiring and much more irritable.” Still he does not go on to advise how the aspects will alter the pure [archetypal] expression of Mars: he does not go on to explain about the fact that Mars is involved in a t-square configuration with Moon/Jupiter in the 10th opposed by Pluto and Venus in the 4th. These are some very heavy complexities that add to the picture.
In her own past my daughter has always suffered from insecurity and self-defeatist tendencies, thus she seldom has expressed herself as being overly cheerful or confident; in fact she has always been quite dour, self-defensive and emotionally repressed. Then we must consider why the more positive expression seldom shines through; obviously because of the t-square influences. Robert Hand also suggests: Sometimes this position of Mars indicates difficulties and disagreements with your family. Don't most people experience this at times?

He goes on to state: “the possibility that it is likely that anything concerning your family, your family background and heritage inspires in you feelings of great loyalty.” Much too vague for the novice to get much out of it. In this case, because of the afflicting aspects, the familial dissension has always been problematic and at times her own indiscretions have caused her to be very disloyal to the family. Venus and Pluto in the 4th seem to be a testament to that.
I guess I am straddling two issues here: one is that I think it is good for people on the forum to be sharing their personal experiences of their own version of expressing any given planet in any given sign...as such we can then offer expanded explanations about the why and how the modifications come into effect...
secondly, while it is important to be able to view the chart, we can still talk about selective factors so that a basis of understanding can be initiated. Through the aspects we can determine whether the energy of the planet will be supported or challenged for the individual.

fullmoonlibra

It is said that Mars is exalted in Capricorn, but I still don't like this position. It's maybe nice that it blocks my anger, but I don't like it when it also blocks my energy and actions.