The Accidental Ascendant - Evangeline Adams Horary Technique

Draco

Hi all,

I came across this article in Wikipedia:

Accidental Ascendant

In Horary astrology, an accidental Ascendant is determined according to the time and date of the question that is being asked, and the querent's is rotated to the point where the Ascendant of the native's horoscope becomes the sign and degree of the Ascendant of the question. This enables the astrologer to answer the question and predict trends by combining the influences of the horoscope for both the native and the question. The accidental Ascendent was used by Evangeline Adams in her horary interpretative technique.

This sounds really interesting to me. Has anyone ever heard of this technique before or used it?

Draco :wink:

Draco

Hi Radu,

I have been linked to the thread provided but unfortunately I am unable to access the link which is there because it says 'unexpected file format' and will not display the information. I have tried to type in the address of the link manually but I am unable to find the link to 'Evangeline Adams Horary Technique' in www.astrocollege.com either.

This is a shame, because it means that I am unsure as to what the ensuing conversation in the link to the thread that you provided is really about, because without reference to the information you have linked regarding Adams technique to refer to I cannot put the discussion in context. :?

When I first came across the Wikipedia article, I imagined that the technique involved concerned erecting the horary, rotating the Ascendant of that horary to become the Ascendant of the natal and then reading them together as a synastry chart. Is it, however, a case of rotating the natal ascendant to match the horary and then reading both as horary charts? Can you clarify this for me as I am confused and I find the idea of this technique of interest.

pwadm

Staff member
Here's the article:

Evangeline Adams' Horary Technique

by Karen Christino
Copyright © 2002 Karen Christino. All rights reserved.

Evangeline Adams (1868-1932) was one of America's most famous astrologers. Born on
February 8, 1868 at 8:30 a.m. in Jersey City, New Jersey, Adams had the strong Uranus
and Aquarius placements found in so many astrologer's charts, as well as many
placements in the intuitive sign of Pisces. From her New York City studios in Carnegie
Hall, Adams served an exclusive clientele. She popularized astrology through her four
books and 1931 radio show, making the general public aware of astrology as an
important topic of study for the first time. Adams claimed to have predicted the famous
Windsor Hotel fire in 1899, one of the worst disasters the city had yet seen. She was tried
in a New York City court for fortune-telling in 1914, but was found not-guilty, with the
judge stating that she raised astrology "to the dignity of an exact science." Adams was
thought to have helped men like J.P. Morgan and Charles Schwab amass their vast
fortunes, and, indeed, she had forecast not only the stock market crash of 1929 but also
the United States' involvement in World War II.
How did she do it? In Adams' 1927 autobiography, The Bowl of Heaven she told of many
of her achievements, but shied away from discussing most of her techniques in any detail.
And her 1930 book, Astrology, Your Place Among the Stars stuck only to the basics of
chart interpretation.
Adams' New Horary
Evangeline felt that her main contribution to astrological forecasting was a method which
she referred to as a "new horary." Here she utilized the transiting ascendant, turning the
client's natal chart so that the current ascendant was rising, and reading the turned chart.
This method is quick and easy, as there is no need to erect a full horary figure. And it
served well in cases where the client had no time of birth. As it is a simplified method,
it's well to note that Adams felt it only worked for current concerns, or the immediate
future. And yet, in utilizing the client's chart as an integral part of the new horary, it
seems logical that the answers given will be well suited to the native's feelings about the
situation at hand.
This excerpt is from The Bowl of Heaven:
Evangeline tells us in The Bowl of Heaven that the reading for Leland was done at about
8:00 p.m. on March 16, 1899, giving an ascendant of about 20 Libra. If we use the new
horary technique, things become much clearer. Evangeline would have turned Leland's
chart so that 20 Libra ascended, and read the new natal placements. Leland's Sun and
his ascendant-ruler Mercury thus fall in the eighth house, which would indicate heavy
emotional situations, and perhaps death, destruction, loss, or important financial issues.
Venus also rules the current ascendant, leading him right to the eighth. Leland's Mars
and Saturn fall in the turned fourth house, which rules the home as well as the end of life,
both of which interpretations apply to this event. These are all malefic planets and could
indicate difficulties not only for Leland, but for his family as well. The Moon and Jupiter
do fall in the seventh, promising publicity or helpful relationships, but we now know that
Pluto was conjunct the descendant, too, adding some kind of trauma to the picture.
But this was a lucky day for Evangeline, as she would leave unharmed and get much
publicity as a result of the fire. Transiting Jupiter at about 9- degrees Scorpio closely
trined her natal Uranus, beginning to form a grand trine with natal Jupiter. Transiting
Jupiter did square Adams's Mars as well, but this was a frightening and dangerous
situation.
The Tunney-Dempsey Bout
Fortune Magazine in October, 1930 said that Adams had known the outcome of the
Tunney vs. Dempsey heavyweight championship in advance, although, "she would not
spoil the bouts, however, by making her deductions public."
Jack Dempsey had held the title since 1919. But on September 23, 1926, he fared less
well, as Tunney won the bout after ten rounds. Trines from transiting Jupiter, Saturn and
Uranus were helpful to Dempsey, but Uranus in his tenth house could indicate an upset or
sudden reversal.
Tunney had transiting Saturn and Neptune activating his natal Mercury- Jupiter-Saturn-
Uranus T-square at the time of the fight. Yet transiting Uranus made several excellent
aspects, also indicating a turn-about for him. Let's remember that we may not have
accurate birth charts for the fighters, and that Evangeline probably only had their birth
dates. Without complete information, there are many and conflicting indications, and it
would be tough to project the outcome of the fight. Certainly we wouldn't have been able
to see how clear-cut Tunney's victory would actually be.
In contrast, Evangeline's new horary technique is simplicity itself. Turning the boxers'
charts to align them with the contest ascendant of about 4 degrees Gemini, Gene Tunney
would have the Sun rising; Dempsey only had Neptune and Pluto rising. The result is
obvious: the Sun points to success and Neptune to loss. In addition, all of Dempsey's
planets are now placed under the earth, while Tunney has the Sun, Mercury and Venus
rising, with his Moon falling in the seventh house, giving them greater strength.
Notes
Adams' birth date is from A Genealogical History of Henry Adams of Braintree, Mass.
(ed. Andrew N. Adams, The Tuttle Co., Rutland VT, 1898), 1900 Census records and her
death certificate. The time is from The Bowl of Heaven (Dodd, Mead & Co., NY, 1926),
citing her father's diary.
Warren F. Leland was born on June 1, 1845 at 4:55 a.m. LMT in Londonderry, VT,
extrapolated from the chart in A Thousand and One Notable Nativities (L.N. Fowler &
Co., London). His obituary in the New York Journal-American, April 5, 1899 gives the
birth date.
The date and time of the Windsor Hotel fire, March 17, 1899 at 3:10 p.m. EST, New
York, NY, can be found in The World, NY of March 18, 1899, as well as many other
papers. Evangeline says in The Bowl of Heaven that Leland's reading was at about 8:00
p.m. the previous evening.
Jack Dempsey was born on June 24, 1895 at 5:30 a.m. MST, Manassa, Colorado.
Astrodatabank cites Sabian Symbols #264 but rates this "D" data due to conflicting
reports.
Gene Tunney's birth date is May 25, 1899 at 8:00 a.m. EST, New York, NY.
Astrodatabank cites Tunney for the source of the data and rates it "A."
The famous Tunney-Dempsey bout was held on September 23, 1926 at 9:45 p.m. EDT,
Philadelphia, PA, according to The New York Times of September 23, 1926.
Karen Christino christino(at)starmail.org

Draco

Hi Radu,

Thankyou for giving me this information.

Adams claimed to have predicted the famous Windsor Hotel fire in 1899, one of the worst disasters the city had yet seen. She was tried in a New York City court for fortune-telling in 1914, but was found not-guilty, with the judge stating that she raised astrology "to the dignity of an exact science."

Wow!

Turning the boxers' charts to align them with the contest ascendant of about 4 degrees Gemini, Gene Tunney would have the Sun rising; Dempsey only had Neptune and Pluto rising. The result is
obvious: the Sun points to success and Neptune to loss. In addition, all of Dempsey's planets are now placed under the earth, while Tunney has the Sun, Mercury and Venus rising, with his Moon falling in the seventh house, giving them greater strength.

This is very interesting and I feel I understand this technique now.

It makes me wonder whether this technique could be used to descern the outcome of a football match, other than an event chart for the time of kick-off, could we take the date that each club was founded, and use the kick-off time and place as the Ascendant on each chart? It would be interesting to experiment with this.

I am not sure I understand the technique in application to an individual chart however. If the horary question is asked, and the Ascendant applied to the querents natal, then do we only consider the rotated natal as the horary, and disregard the original horary question chart, or consider them both together, like a synastry?