Why do they say Aquarius/Uranus create astrology?

SunConjunctUranus

Re: look at the charts of astrologers, to Gemini

"Uranus" is an attempt at jury-rigging a Latin spelling. It's actually just a strange modern combination of Greek "Uranos" and Latin "Caelus", with the Latin ending tacked onto the Greek word. :andy:

Yes, having Urania:)uranus:) on your M.C. is an excellent matchup with your Sun in Aquarius. :biggrin:
May the Muse be with you!

I have it too, along with conjunction with the ages! :biggrin:

david starling

The Aquarian Age will be ruled by the Goddess of the Heavens, since Urania:)uranus:) is Domicle-ruler of Aquarius. The Heavens, from the vantage point of the Earth, are what astrology is really all about.
So, a Lady, rather than a Lord, of the Age. We astrologers are at an advantage, because we speak the language she inspired as Muse of Astrology.

Last edited:

love-thinking

I can't seem to find evidence support this claim. Personally, I would imagine Pisces/Neptune being a better association. Pisces/Neptune is connected with the higher realm without being stuck in dogmas like Sagittarius. Pisces believes in everything spiritual and Neptune transcends all boundary of the reality we know. It would be more logical that Pisces/Neptune found astrology. Aqua/Uranus is too logical for spirituality. Also Uranus is the planet of science and progression. Astrology faded into obscurity because of the science revolution.

I heard sun conjunct neptune creates astrologers, I've also heard chiron does as well.

david starling

I heard sun conjunct neptune creates astrologers, I've also heard chiron does as well.

Neptune and Pisces are good for the intuitive understanding of astrology, but aren't structured enough to create it. It takes a Fixed-sign ruler for that. Realm of Mind, an Air-sign ruler. Uranian influence allows for individual interpretation within the established framework.

david starling

Muses inspire creativity. With a Pisces/Aquarius Natal-chart, I was able to intuitively connect the Muse of Astrology, URANia:)uranus:) to the rulership of Aquarius. Not really that amazing though--same root word as URANus:)uranus:), meaning "of the Heavens". In addition, the discovery of the first Planet beyond the orbit of Saturn had an enormous impact on astrology itself. Goddess of the Heavens, Urania, was the Muse of both astrology and astronomy, at a time when astrology and astronomy were intertwined.

Last edited:

Gemini888

Never known a thread about the creation of astrology could span a discussion about how Uranus fits in :cool:

This is just a question that has been in my mind for a while, seeing how some pop astrology websites keep claiming astrology as a "gift" from Uranus. Personally I like @Frisiangal's interpretation the most. @love-thinking's input is also pretty interesting too, especially with Chiron. Now I wonder if Aqua quality is better for astrology, and Pisces energy is better for other more intuitive work like Tarot.

waybread

"Uranus" is an attempt at jury-rigging a Latin spelling. It's actually just a strange modern combination of Greek "Uranos" and Latin "Caelus", with the Latin ending tacked onto the Greek word. :andy:

Yes, having Urania:)uranus:) on your M.C. is an excellent matchup with your Sun in Aquarius. :biggrin:
May the Muse be with you!

Thanks, David. The original Greek comes out as Ouranos.

david starling

Never known a thread about the creation of astrology could span a discussion about how Uranus fits in :cool:

This is just a question that has been in my mind for a while, seeing how some pop astrology websites keep claiming astrology as a "gift" from Uranus. Personally I like @Frisiangal's interpretation the most. @love-thinking's input is also pretty interesting too, especially with Chiron. Now I wonder if Aqua quality is better for astrology, and Pisces energy is better for other more intuitive work like Tarot.

Thanks, David. The original Greek comes out as Ouranos.

You're right, of course. But it's the "Uran" part that refers to the Heavens. This actually makes "Urania" closer to "Uranus" than Ouranos. AND, the Latin for Ouranos, since the idea was to keep all the Planetary names Roman, is "Caelus", which is quite different from "Uranus", whereas, the Latin for "Urania" is....wait for it.... "Urania"! The Romans kept the Greek names for all 9 Muses.
Urania's grandmother was named "Gaia" in Latin, changed from "Gaea" in Greek. Sun god Apollo kept his Greek name in the Latin, whereas the other Sun god, "Helios" in Greek, was changed to "Sol", in Latin. We use those 2 names for the "Heliocentric" model, and for the "Solar" system.

david starling

The Muses were very real to the ancient Greeks. The question was, why Aquarius and its Domicle-ruler would be considered responsible for creating astrology. That's where Urania:)uranus:) comes in, and, as Goddess of the Heavens, is a perfect fit for the constellation Aquarius, which is about pouring out meteor showers.
I'm using the ancient name "Urania:)uranus:)" in place of "Uranus", which is a modern, made up name, never actually used in ancient times. And, as the Muse of astrology, Urania:)uranus:) inspired the creation of astrology.
If a pop astrology website claimed that Mercury is the ruler of Gemini, would that be a reason to doubt it? :biggrin:

david starling

Whaat. Aquarius is the water bearer no? Pouring water to the Fish, not that a fish needs actual water to drink.
What about Ganymede? Kidnapped by Jupiter ( in eagle form) to be a cupbearer to the gods.
I read recently that one of the Aquariids meteor showers is influenced by Jupiter.

The constellation Aquarius links to the "Heavens" meaning of "uran" in ancient Greece because of the meteor showers. "Ouranos", "Urania" and (although I don't use the bogus word) "Uranus", are about "the Heavens". The SIGN :aquarius: is more apropos of pouring out water, which relates to the "Month of Rain" in the ancient Babylonian solar calendar. Aquarius as "Water bearer" is a Latin 12th century Christian mistranslation of the original, ancient Greek name for the Sign :aquarius:, "Hydrokhoos", which means "Water-pourer", rather than "Cupbearer", or "Waterbearer".
I don't consider the ancient Greek Ganymede role as gay lover or cupbearer as applicable to the constellation or the Sign :aquarius:, because Ganymede was no longer Zeus/Jupiter's lover or cupbearer on Olympus once Zeus/Jupiter placed him in the sky as the constellation at the request of Hera.

Last edited:

david starling

Whaat. Aquarius is the water bearer no? Pouring water to the Fish, not that a fish needs actual water to drink.
What about Ganymede? Kidnapped by Jupiter ( in eagle form) to be a cupbearer to the gods.
I read recently that one of the Aquariids meteor showers is influenced by Jupiter.

In 12/12, Jupiter:)jupiter:) is devoted to both Aquarius, and its Domicle-ruler Urania:)uranus:). Jupiter is a "Benefactor" in Aquarius . (By pattern, not by mythology, although Urania was his daughter.)

Last edited:

david starling

In the Ryder/Waite tarot deck, the Major Arcana card "the Star", which correlates to the Sign :aquarius: shows a woman, rather than a man, pouring water. For me, it has an authentic feeling to it, even though the usual depiction shows a man. In the original, ancient Babylonian constellation, it's a fountain called the "Overflowing Basin", with no human figure.

david starling

In 12/12, the Aquarian Domicile-ruler is feminine in nature, but Yang in effect. In contrast to masculine and Yin Neptune.
Her message: "Raise your consciousness! What are you waiting for?"

Last edited:

waybread

You're right, of course. But it's the "Uran" part that refers to the Heavens. This actually makes "Urania" closer to "Uranus" than Ouranos. AND, the Latin for Ouranos, since the idea was to keep all the Planetary names Roman, is "Caelus", which is quite different from "Uranus", whereas, the Latin for "Urania" is....wait for it.... "Urania"! The Romans kept the Greek names for all 9 Muses.
Urania's grandmother was named "Gaia" in Latin, changed from "Gaea" in Greek. Sun god Apollo kept his Greek name in the Latin, whereas the other Sun god, "Helios" in Greek, was changed to "Sol", in Latin. We use those 2 names for the "Heliocentric" model, and for the "Solar" system.

David, I wouldn't make too much of this. "Jupiter" sounds nothing like Zeus. "Venus" sounds nothing like Aphrodite.

As a sign (30-degree sector of the sky) nobody thinks Aquarius invented astrology. That honor belonged to Mercury (Hermes,) and possibly to his Sumerian predecessor, the goddess Nisaba (or Nidaba.)
https://www.ancient.eu/Nisaba/

She was credited with inventing writing and counting, notably of grain stores and stars.

Last edited:

waybread

Aquarius, the "water bearer" was named because the sun is in Aquarius during the winter rainy season of the Mediterranean region and Near East, where astrology originated. Also, the Aquarid meteor shower, seemingly emanating from his urn.

david starling

David, I wouldn't make too much of this. "Jupiter" sounds nothing like Zeus. "Venus" sounds nothing like Aphrodite.

As a sign (30-degree sector of the sky) nobody thinks Aquarius invented astrology. That honor belonged to Mercury (Hermes,) and possibly to his Sumerian predecessor, the goddess Nisaba (or Nidaba.)
https://www.ancient.eu/Nisaba/

She was credited with inventing writing and counting, notably of grain stores and stars.

Without being able to identify the Planet beyond what's now known as Saturn, as anything but a faint star, how COULD the ancients have connected Nisaba to the Planet now known as Urano (in Spanish).

david starling

Aquarius, the "water bearer" was named because the sun is in Aquarius during the winter rainy season of the Mediterranean region and Near East, where astrology originated. Also, the Aquarid meteor shower, seemingly emanating from his urn.

"Aquarius" in very ancient Latin means "pertaining to water", not specifically to carrying water. That definition is 12th century Christian. The "Overflowing Basin" regarding the constellation is ancient Babylonian, and is obviously about the pouring out, not the carrying around.

Last edited:

david starling

Nisaba became Nabu. The Hellenistic astrologers associated Nabu with Apollo, patron of the 9 Muses, including Urania, Goddess of the Heavens and Muse of astrology. They also envisioned the constellation now known as Aquarius with water-flow, not water-carrying. The latter was a 12th century Christian interpretation.

Last edited:

david starling

With Moon and Venus conjunct in Aquarius, I notice I'm expert at landscape irrigation systems. I can also build waterfalls, and in one case, a bird bath fountain, which is timed to overflow and water plants as the water flows downhill.

Last edited: