difference of signs

member5

in vedic astrology my ascedent is sagittarius but in westren astrology it is capricron in some softwares and in others ascendent degree is 0 degree sagittarius .kindlly tell me the reason for this difference?

waybread

Basically Vedic astrology uses a sidereal (star-based) zodiac, where signs are more-or-less pegged to the constellations for which they were named. Western astrologers normally use a tropical zodiac, which pegs the spring equinox to 0 degrees Aries, with the fall equinox at 0 degrees Libra, and the solstices pegged to 0 Cancer and 0 Capricorn. Western astrologers switched over to the tropical zodiac roughly around 2000 years ago. Initially the two zodiacs were close to one another.

Due to a wobble in the earth's orbit (precession), and the movement of the earth relative to the fixed stars, however, the two zodiacs are now almost a sign apart. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_precession Nobody really can say what the correct difference should be, but the two main explanations put the two zodiacs at roughly 24 or 27 degrees apart. This is enough for most of our tropical planets to move backwards into the preceding sign if we cast a sidereal chart. A planet near the end of a sign (say, 28 degrees) will stay in that sign, but move to a very early degree.

The process works backwards, so a tropical planet at 20 degrees Aquarius will move into Capricorn in a sidereal system.

JUPITERASC

in vedic astrology my ascedent is sagittarius but in westren astrology it is capricron in some softwares
and in others ascendent degree is 0 degree sagittarius
.kindlly tell me the reason for this difference?
Sidereal zodiac differs from Tropical Zodiac :smile:
a useful way of learning and recognising the difference
is to cast a daily chart and note the difference of location of the Moon

MOON visits each SIGN once a month aka "moonth"
and
IS NOT ALWAYS IN SAME SIGN BOTH TROPICALLY AND SIDEREALLY
because
although Astrologers
– whether Tropical or Sidereal
– are commenting on and making predictions regarding THE IDENTICAL MOON in the skies
computer generated Tropical Chart differs by DEGREE OCCUPIED BY THE MOON

from Sidereal DEGREE OCCUPIED BY MOON
Sidereal location of Moon may be confirmed BY VISUAL observation of local skies
there is a minimum difference of 20° up to a maximum of approximately 24°
between TROPICAL AND SIDEREAL MEASUREMENT
ANY planet at 0° OF any TROPICAL SIGN
is SIDEREALLY between approximately 6° - 10° to a maximum 24° of the PREVIOUS SIGN
dependent on the ayanamsha