Any left handers?

Bunraku

Did they used to kill left handed people back in the day?
In Japan, I know they forced them to use the right hand, but eased up on that practice.

theoddone

Did they used to kill left handed people back in the day?
In Japan, I know they forced them to use the right hand, but eased up on that practice.

If someone was discovered to be left-handed back in the Middle Ages, they were branded as a witch because it was thought that left-handness was the work of the devil.

My stepfather (born in 1958 and is a Pisces sun)was born a lefty but his teachers tied that hand behind his back and forced him to write with his right hand.

I get my left-handness from my paternal grandfather. My father, brother, and one of my cousins are also left-handed.

tikana

I am semi left handed.

I write with left hand but I play guitar with left, played hockey Left, I shoot guns from the left side.

CapAquaPis

Primarily right-handed and able to use my left (thumbs on left hand up) in certain tasks. Would it make me ambidextrous? :andy: I have some left-handed relatives, so I should inherited their genes. Left-handedness is caused by natural neurological processes as the person's brain is wired differently from the majority. I read somewhere on this subject that 1 out of 10 people worldwide are left-handed, and some concentrations of the world are thought to have more left-handed persons than average. I don't believe being left-handed carries a social stigma in America today, though left-handed persons are in higher risk of accidents from using items like tools made specifically for the right-handed.

TamaraL

semi left-handed, in dance my powerful-useful side is the left. I do most activities with the left but only write with the right. (don't know how that happened) my physiotherapist discovered this issue.

LisaAngela

Hi,
I have been doing a lot of research lately, apparently most people are told that they are right handed, but this is a myth. It is known in modern science that writing with your right hand and using your right most of the time, means you are using mainly the "left" side of the brain. And using your left hand means you unlock the "right" side of your brain. Is it any wonder then, that we hear people who use their left hands are witches? I too was brainwashed into believing I was right handed and I recently started using both to write and I feel a lot more creative. Scientists say we use both sides of our brain which of course we do, but please do check out the images here I have posted I want to pass on what I have learned.
brain2_zpszqtpx4vb.jpg

brain4_zpskwumfnzu.jpg

brain5_zpshigbo4mr.jpg

brain_zpss38c3auv.jpg

brain7_zpsluqc55tz.jpg

brain6_zpsadmyutq4.jpg

It seems our right hand keeps us in a kind of "matrix" type situation where we are more likely to obey commands and ignore creative things. Not to say right handers are not creative I too am right handed I'm just saying explore the possibilities a bit more.

theoddone

The funny thing about being left handed is that I was diagnosed with a right-brain learning disorder (nonverbal learning disability). I have issues with math, visual spatial difficulties, some motor difficulties, interpreting body language and voice tone, difficulty understanding certain jokes and types of sarcasm although the psychological report stated that I have good math reasoning skills; it's just that I can't remember how it's organized (working memory and executive functioning issues). The only area that's not affected is my language skills. I excel in reading, spelling, vocab, technical writing, and creative writing.

Because of all that, I am more of a left brain learner but a right brain thinker. I can play in my own world for hours on end.

Kalyxa

I am both left-handed and left-sighted. I have a left-handed cousin on my father's side and a left-handed uncle on my mother's side. I've always wondered whether there was a genetic component to handedness or if it was a random occurrence during foetal development.

From what I understand, there isn't actually any science supporting the idea that left-handed people are more creative.

Tessie

Banned
Hi,
I have been doing a lot of research lately, apparently most people are told that they are right handed, but this is a myth. It is known in modern science that writing with your right hand and using your right most of the time, means you are using mainly the "left" side of the brain.

The brain having contralateral connectivity does not make left/right handedness a myth. It means that the brain has contralateral connectivity.

Each brain hemisphere is used for many, many other things despite writing. These include, attention, movement, memory, emotion processing, visual processing, auditory processing, etc. As the brain is connected to the body contralaterally by most part, this means we use both hemispheres of the brain, most of the time. The exception to this are ipsilateral connections, of which handedness is not a part.

Left-handedness modulated principally by the right, more creative, hemisphere suggests greater probability for creative connectivity. However, art is subjective which means creativity can be anything, including more intellectual pursuits which are left brain associated.

Handedness wise, there are some correlations that left handed individuals tend to be homosexual. Most homosexuals I know are left handed. (non-exhaustive) Empirical evidence:

http://www.psyneuen-journal.com/article/0306-4530(90)90048-E/abstract?cc=y

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=search.displayRecord&uid=2000-08364-008

(sex-differences) http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/2008-11487-004

It would seem handedness has a neurological connection with sexual development (pun not intended). Given the difficulty in researching human neurodevelopment in utero these findings are tentative and remain correlative in suggesting left handedness is a predictor of homosexuality. Findings suggest, however, homosexuality is determined before birth. This implication is in line with astrological determinism which claims such predictions on the basis of the birth chart. ♥

Last edited:

theoddone

The brain having contralateral connectivity does not make left/right handedness a myth. It means that the brain has contralateral connectivity.

Each brain hemisphere is used for many, many other things despite writing. These include, attention, movement, memory, emotion processing, visual processing, auditory processing, etc. As the brain is connected to the body contralaterally by most part, this means we use both hemispheres of the brain, most of the time. The exception to this are ipsilateral connections, of which handedness is not a part.

Handedness wise, there are some correlations that left handed individuals tend to be homosexual. Most homosexuals I know are left handed.

That's pretty interesting. I would like to read those correlations. I'm both straight and left-handed. I also wonder about the genetic correlation to being either right or left-handed.

I did find an astrological article somewhere online that found research on certain zodiac signs being related to being left-handed and if it doesn't break forum rules, I can post it. The content was on that individuals with a strong Aquarius influence such as having the Sun or Moon in Aquarius were more likely to be left-handed. I have my moon in Aquarius and one of my friends who is also a lunar Aquarian is left-handed as well so I thought it was pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Kalyxa

I did find an astrological article somewhere online that found research on certain zodiac signs being related to being left-handed and if it doesn't break forum rules, I can post it. The content was on that individuals with a strong Aquarius influence such as having the Sun or Moon in Aquarius were more likely to be left-handed. I have my moon in Aquarius and one of my friends who is also a lunar Aquarian is left-handed as well so I thought it was pretty interesting.

I'd love to see the article if you are able to post it. I'm not sure if I'd agree with the idea of left-handedness being more correlated to the sign of Aquarius though as that hasn't normally been the case in my experience.

CapAquaPis

Left-handedness is thought to be connected not only to homosexuality and higher intelligence, including the higher incidence of autism, they indicate the person is RH- (the RH blood factor) and RH negative blood is inherited along with left-handedness, as well red hair and green eyes (rare traits among the world's population) are commonly found in left-handed or RH neg. people.

Oddity

Straight, left-handed, red-haired, and Rh negative. I'd switch Fortuna and Spirit if I were following Serapion, which is the big astrological correlation I've seen to handedness.

Only Mars in Aquarius, and it's in pretty bad shape.