The Law of Attraction - Real or Insane?

retinoid

Just a slight reality check, folks.

1. There are limits to the LOA. I'd enjoy being in my 20s again for a while, or re- living parts of my life differently, but this isn't going to happen.

2. Astrologically, it is easier to ride the horse in the direction it's going. What are your particular talents? Are you in the career of careers for yourself, in the sense of your vocation in life?

3. God's plan. (However you define divinity.) Haven't you ever not gotten what you really, really wanted-- only to realize later that things worked for the best the way they actually turned out? What are you on the planet to learn and to teach? Just possibly your jobless spell will make you a blessing to someone else you meet in the future who is demoralized by unemployment.

4. Not blaming the misfortunate. I have actually read astrologers who assumed that if a woman were raped, she must have attracted it to herself. (And no, this isn't the old, "What was she wearing, or did she stupidly put herself in a dangerous situation?" kind of trope.) All kinds of rotten things happen to people, notably to little children who are not old enough to take the advice given above. (Graay ghost's point.)

Sunning Bee, it's absolutely OK to go after what you want. A job isn't going to magically fall into your lap if you do not get your application out the door. It's OK to ask someone in your field to look over your resume and make sure it represents you in a strong light. If your applications require accompanying confidential letters of reference, make sure your referees are solidly supportive. If you haven't been looking beyond your current location and are at all mobile, you may need to consider moving to where the jobs are. If you can freelance or do part-time work in your field, that is better than sitting it out for a protracted period. If you can take an on-line or local college course in your field now, that is better than having a blank space on your c.v.

And good luck with your applications.

For me, I am a practitioner of magic and do astrological remedies as I believe the 'planets' are the energies that make up our existence. I can attest that the LOA and magic do work however, not like in the movies or how The Secret portrays the LOA.

LOA is magic and magic is the LOA except in magic you also utilize other things to back up the power of your intention. With practice and natural ability, you will see results but as you said, the results often appear as things where you must eventually take the initiative. The results are usually subtle, but lead to big things.

waybread

I'm not into magic. It's like saying there's something wrong with our ability to function in ordinary reality. I find ordinary reality to be magical enough.

retinoid

I'm not into magic. It's like saying there's something wrong with our ability to function in ordinary reality. I find ordinary reality to be magical enough.

Often times ordinary reality can be very harsh. Being stuck, being abused by others, not knowing what the next step should be, uncertain how you will pay all your bills...magic helps to transform your life. It is the materialization of your desire. But it takes a lot of work, trial and error and natural ability to work with it effectively. Thankfully we live in an era where what was once hidden is now not.

This is the biggest failing in western astrology-lack of remedies. We dismiss it as superstitious yet the earliest astrology practitioners had remedies for bad issues. Nowadays we tell people with problems in their chart to do things mundanely to solve issues, which is great except the malefic issues are causing the person BLOCKAGES to do such things.

muchacho

Just a slight reality check, folks.

1. There are limits to the LOA. I'd enjoy being in my 20s again for a while, or re- living parts of my life differently, but this isn't going to happen.

2. Astrologically, it is easier to ride the horse in the direction it's going. What are your particular talents? Are you in the career of careers for yourself, in the sense of your vocation in life?

3. God's plan. (However you define divinity.) Haven't you ever not gotten what you really, really wanted-- only to realize later that things worked for the best the way they actually turned out? What are you on the planet to learn and to teach? Just possibly your jobless spell will make you a blessing to someone else you meet in the future who is demoralized by unemployment.

4. Not blaming the misfortunate. I have actually read astrologers who assumed that if a woman were raped, she must have attracted it to herself. (And no, this isn't the old, "What was she wearing, or did she stupidly put herself in a dangerous situation?" kind of trope.) All kinds of rotten things happen to people, notably to little children who are not old enough to take the advice given above. (Graay ghost's point.)

Sunning Bee, it's absolutely OK to go after what you want. A job isn't going to magically fall into your lap if you do not get your application out the door. It's OK to ask someone in your field to look over your resume and make sure it represents you in a strong light. If your applications require accompanying confidential letters of reference, make sure your referees are solidly supportive. If you haven't been looking beyond your current location and are at all mobile, you may need to consider moving to where the jobs are. If you can freelance or do part-time work in your field, that is better than sitting it out for a protracted period. If you can take an on-line or local college course in your field now, that is better than having a blank space on your c.v.

And good luck with your applications.
You seem to equate LOA with positive thinking or affirmations/visualizing. If so, then we are not talking about the same thing.

muchacho

Be extremely careful about what you wish for--you might just get it.
Yes, and this also applies to what you fear or hate or worry about. You might just get it as well because you always get what's a match to what's most active in you, i.e. what you focus upon, no matter if you actually want it or not. (This should clarify Waybread's point #4)

Arena

I've found many people misunderstand what law of attraction is and think it is about just being positive. If you read about what it really is, it is about being very precise in what you want. It is about not only thinking about openly many possibilities of a job (or whatever), but about actually listing it down on paper with a pen in your hand in detail what you actually want and even making a wish board about it. It has been studied that people who write down their goals and longings are more likely to reach them and get what they want.

http://sidsavara.com/personal-produ...ke-ten-times-as-much-as-the-other-97-combined

But when doing this exercise, you need to be very aware not to write down anything you do not want, only what you really want. If it works, it works - if it doesn't work for you, you haven't lost anything at all. It is an exercise for your brain :)

david starling

In the Seventies and Eighties, the excitement about the Age of Aquarius morphed into something called the "New Age movement". There was an expression that was repeated over and over, known as "channeling Abundance"; along with that came an admonition that if you were having problems, you had only yourself to blame--you must have brought it on yourself by not having the right attitude. Very preachy.

Last edited:

waybread

I've found many people misunderstand what law of attraction is and think it is about just being positive. If you read about what it really is, it is about being very precise in what you want. It is about not only thinking about openly many possibilities of a job (or whatever), but about actually listing it down on paper with a pen in your hand in detail what you actually want and even making a wish board about it. It has been studied that people who write down their goals and longings are more likely to reach them and get what they want.

http://sidsavara.com/personal-produ...ke-ten-times-as-much-as-the-other-97-combined

But when doing this exercise, you need to be very aware not to write down anything you do not want, only what you really want. If it works, it works - if it doesn't work for you, you haven't lost anything at all. It is an exercise for your brain :)

I don't mistake the LOA for positive thinking. The LOA has been around for millennia under different names. (For example, Matthew 7:7-8, Luke 11:9.) Back in the 1980s when I did a lot of workshops with "est" (now Landmark) we did a lot of specific goal-setting, note-keeping, &c. This group's purpose was to disabuse people of wishful or positive thinking, and to gain clarity on "what is." Most people have a lot of self-defeating beliefs and behaviours, such that it is difficult to reach a goal with the "static" in the way.

As such, goal-setting, clearing out our self-defeating narratives, and staying open to possibilities is just common sense.

I don't think we need to magic-alize this.

Retinoid wrote:

Often times ordinary reality can be very harsh. Being stuck, being abused by others, not knowing what the next step should be, uncertain how you will pay all your bills...magic helps to transform your life. It is the materialization of your desire. But it takes a lot of work, trial and error and natural ability to work with it effectively. Thankfully we live in an era where what was once hidden is now not.

This is the biggest failing in western astrology-lack of remedies. We dismiss it as superstitious yet the earliest astrology practitioners had remedies for bad issues. Nowadays we tell people with problems in their chart to do things mundanely to solve issues, which is great except the malefic issues are causing the person BLOCKAGES to do such things.
I suppose if people find magic spells, amulets, talismans, and the like to be beneficial, I'm not going to convince them there's a better way. But without any of these props, it is possible to recognize what is the reality and what is the "story" or "soap opera" we tell ourselves about the simple naked facts.

Just for example, if someone strikes you, that's a fact. What is not factual is what you tell yourself about it, which oftentimes becomes a story to weave about the event. Maybe the story contains elements of low self-esteem or revenge; but really what happened is that you were hit. That you felt hurt by the blow is a fact. The narrative you developed about the incident is a story.

It is important to let go of our stories. We probably will always have stories, but we can distinguish them from reality and not fixate on them.

1. We can sit down now and write a short list of goals. Make sure we really sincerely have these goals.

2. Make them as specific as you can. For example, "I would like to travel more," is too vague and general. A specific goal would be, "I want to spend a week in Yellowstone National Park."

3. Then start with one or two goals. Write down a short list of specific steps you would need to undertake to reach those goals.

4. Then for each step, write down its conditions of satisfaction. These might be things like (a) clearing your schedule, (b) determining what the trip would cost, (c) determining how to trim the costs by exploring possibilities (if money is a constraint,) (d) arranging the transportation. And so on.

5. If you reach a blockage on a particular step or even the goal itself, consider what might be your emotional or practical blockages. Recalculate the goal if you must. Maybe you don't get to Yellowstone in 2016, but you determine how you can save enough money for 2017. Re-work the steps. And so on.

6. Enjoy your vacation.

Frankly, for people with any religious/spiritual leanings, your trust in God (however your Divine Consciousness is defined) is far more powerful and important than faith in magic spells, rocks, or bits of paper (amulets.) We may also find that a lot of our goals or wants are pretty superficial. When we die, is it better to have become rich, or is it better to have been a blessing to other people?

Last edited:

retinoid

Waybread I think you are correct, goals and wants are very superficial and in the end does not matter. However, as an inhabitant in this reality, we know that these things are the basis for life here.

Sometimes spells and tailsmans are needed for a select few, such as if you are overly sensitive to spirits or energies, they can help deflect these things or cause you to be more grounded. In general life, they are not needed and the people who use them vs the people who do not are not really any different in terms of benefit. It always amazes me to see how many practitioners of magic and LOA usually are the worst off materially or emotionally.

JUPITERASC

Back in the 1980s
when I did a lot of workshops with "est" (now Landmark)

we did a lot of specific goal-setting, note-keeping, &c.

This group's purpose was to disabuse people of wishful or positive thinking, and to gain clarity on "what is."
Most people have a lot of self-defeating beliefs and behaviours,
such that it is difficult to reach a goal with the "static" in the way.

As such, goal-setting, clearing out our self-defeating narratives, and staying open to possibilities
is just common sense.

I don't think we need to magic-alize this.
WERNER ERHARD presented The est Training around the world
between 1971 and 1984 :smile:
In this film clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPBzmiS5dKA
Werner Erhard and The est Training are featured in media segments
with Joel Daly, Dinah Shore, Cloris Leachman, Amanda Arnold, Ellie Dylan, from the 1970's and 1980's.
For more information on the history of The est training see:
http://www.erhardseminarstraining.com

waybread

Waybread I think you are correct, goals and wants are very superficial and in the end does not matter. However, as an inhabitant in this reality, we know that these things are the basis for life here.

Sometimes spells and tailsmans are needed for a select few, such as if you are overly sensitive to spirits or energies, they can help deflect these things or cause you to be more grounded. In general life, they are not needed and the people who use them vs the people who do not are not really any different in terms of benefit. It always amazes me to see how many practitioners of magic and LOA usually are the worst off materially or emotionally.

Which says something to me about the efficacy of these things.

Werner Erhard replaced "est" with a group now known as Landmark Education. He has not been involved with them for many years. Erhard himself borrowed heavily from Buddhism, the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein, and a few other human potential authors.

My only point being that LOA material has been around for a long time.

One thing I remember from the time when I did participate in these workshops was that sometimes you cannot change your circumstances, but you can free yourself of self-defeating beliefs about them. So maybe Dad was an alcoholic. You cannot change Dad's biography, but you can change your lifelong narrative of blaming Dad for why your life is unhappy now. Then you can let go to your attachment to defining yourself as unhappy.

Just to add some (cough, ahem) astrology to this post, my participation back-when (now over 20 years ago) probably influenced my commitment to a choice-centered astrology. My chart is what it is. A sun in Aquarius opposite Saturn isn't going to turn into a sun in Sagittarius trined by Jupiter. But I can turn to empowering interpretations of sun opposite Saturn, vs. disempowering ones.

What we also find with people who stay stuck in disempowering narratives about themselves is that there typically is a benefit to them. This may sound harsh, but really it means that they have some fear about actualizing their potential and the benefit is getting to play it safe, or they are strongly motivated to avoid taking responsibility for themselves. Blaming an alcoholic Dad isn't very empowering, but it lets Dad's child avoid taking responsibility for his own well-being. Which can demand a lot of us.

As astrologers, I hope we can encourage people in making more empowering choices.

JUPITERASC

LOA can only be understood from a vibrational point of view. From an action point of view it seems inconsistent at times. From a vibrational point of view it's always consistent. The vibe behind the action is what's important, not the action itself. If your vibe is consistent, then the signal you are sending out is consistent and so what you get back is also consistent even when the action you offer is inconsistent.
WHAT KIND OF A BEING IS A HUMAN BEING?
TRANSFORMATION AND CHANGE - Werner Erhard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2kFmjPWm0 :smile:

JUPITERASC

I hope this doesn't come of rant-y because I genuinely would like to have an intelligent conversation about this, but I'm honestly a little frustrated at the advice I've been getting lately.

I feel like, given my situation, I've been really upbeat. I've been unemployed for almost a year and a half now :)crying:). I do odd jobs and temp work to make ends meet so I can focus on trying to land a job within my field and in an actual career-track. I know what I'm looking for. I haven't been overly specific so that I limit myself, but I'm also not just shooting off resumes willy-nilly. I joined a few professional networks and have been trying to generate leads there. I joined a non-profit committee and work for them a few times a week, which is fun and another great way to network. All in all, in between actual job hunting I'm trying to be as proactive as I can about finding work. I have had a pretty positive attitude and have felt sure that something would pop up if I just kept at it. I even turned down an offer earlier in the year because I didn't like the company and the position turned out to be heading in a different direction than I want to go.

July and so far August have been the toughest months. I just feel burnt out and as though I've exhausted every option. Even so, I am still getting my resume out and trying to be proactive.

So, getting to the point, I have been told by several people when asked for advice on my situation that I need to employ the Law of Attraction to bring me the job I want. More than one person has told me to have positive affirmations, to essentially act as though I have the job I want, and "speak my desires out loud to the Universe".

I don't really know how to respond to this or what to think. I mean, isn't that what I've been doing all this time? I set my intention. I know what I want. I'm not settling out of desperation or being unreasonable. I have also been positive about the situation. I have smiled in front of my employed friends and family who all think I'm nuts for not taking the first thing that comes my way and patiently explained that "I'll find the right job soon. I'm not worried." I'm wondering if I might actually be a little off my rocker right now.

Do any of you have any thoughts or experiences with this theory? Does it have merit or do you think it's just some kind of fad?
Interesting clip discusses method :smile:
How to get a breakthrough on MONEY to attract $500,000!!!!!!! and Be-Do-Have explained
David Cunningham LANDMARK EDUCATION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfR4hFl36CE

david starling

Waybread, excellent practical advice. But you're downplaying one factor: Astrology can tell us whether a blockage is a permanent situation in the Natal chart (in which case your practical method is an invaluable life-skill), OR it's a temporary glitch that will end on its own. Still great advice either way, but less necessary in the latter case. It just might be a matter of timing and patience--astrology can be very helpful in that regard.

Last edited:

Oddity

According to John Assaraf :smile:
'....The reason the law of attraction does not work for 99% of people
is because
most people don’t understand the difference between setting goals
which is an imaginative and rational process
and achieving goals
which is mostly an habitual and emotional process....'
http://johnassaraf.com/why-the-law-of-attraction-doesnt-work-for-most-people

Of course, that still leaves us with 'it doesn't work for 99% of people'. I guess that means the law is solid, and we can blame those 99% for their obvious failure?

My sceptic bells are ringing here.

JUPITERASC

Of course, that still leaves us with 'it doesn't work for 99% of people'.
I guess that means the law is solid, and we can blame those 99% for their obvious failure?

My sceptic bells are ringing here

Early-Denier.jpg