WHY does Horary have strictures?

Aquarius358

Hey, this is kinda off the track. But, I have been wondering what if Mars is in the 1st h. It is a malific and they aren't good, but planets in the 1st h are impt. Next, if the moon rules the 12h??? Then, there are those charts where the moon is in the 12h. Also, malifics conj. are always not good .... especially if one of them is like Saturn. Although, Saturn is dig. so now he can still create chaos. Seems to me like when the other person being asked about in a relationship chart is Saturn it doesn't turn out weill. But..on the other hand Saturn could relate to older people....but my experience usually not soo good. Any in put would be much appreciated.
T

Hi Tootsie - Yes, there is often an "on the other hand" ! and not just in modern times either ... down through the ages too ...

I believe it's a question of adding up the positive testimonies and the negative testimonies and then making a judgment call based on the evidence - ALWAYS based on the evidence in the chart!!

Traditionally, Saturn and Mars are the greater and lesser malefics and this is what is first considered about them. That's true. Just as Jupiter and Venus are considered to be the greater and lesser benefics.

But if Saturn is exalted and in its triplicity (as it is at the moment), then Saturn has some essential dignity that cannot be ignored. Then again, if it's in an angle, it has accidental dignity by being there, too.

All this adds to Saturn's strength and means it can act well. If it is received (as in Reception by Sign, exaltation or Triplicity especially) by the other main significator, then it also has the additional 'support' of that planet - so this can help it be a lot better or slightly better than just the greater malefic.

If it is placed in a house that is important in the question, it is likely that a dignified Saturn will only cause a delay - it's a question of degree - it won't be nasty, frustrating delays that will render you helpless ... I use the word 'caution' when I see Saturn in an important house to the question. It's also helpful to see which planet disposits Saturn - eg at the moment Venus disposits Saturn and Venus (if she's not badly debilitated) could be 'pushing' Saturn towards better things rather than worse ones.

I'm not trying to have a dollar each way ... :smile: ... it seriously is a question of taking everything into account and then making a call and also, before you do that, view each planet impassionately - without prejudice BUT with close regard to its role in the chart.

Good questions! ______________

tootsie

Hi Aquarius358, Thanks soo much the explanation! Now I have a better understanding now of how to go about interpreting a chart.
Tootsie:smile:

I've never used the aphorisms against judgement. I've been practicing astrology for 10+ years now, and never had a problem being wrong with any kind of early ascendent, or any stupid stuff like that.

I feel these are left over rules and mistranslated hodge-podge that got classified together, that never should have been mixed, and probably refer to magic, or hermeitisicm more then actual reading of astrology charts.

Anachiel

I've never used the aphorisms against judgement. I've been practicing astrology for 10+ years now, and never had a problem being wrong with any kind of early ascendent, or any stupid stuff like that.

I feel these are left over rules and mistranslated hodge-podge that got classified together, that never should have been mixed, and probably refer to magic, or hermeitisicm more then actual reading of astrology charts.

Well, if they refer to hermeticism or magic, then I would like to see where this was mentioned. Probably isn't because one would create an electional chart for magic/talismans/whatever and not a horary chart.

The Considerations, as they are called, are really only used in horary. Some call them "strictures". In any case, they add valuable information to a chart whether you ignore them or respect them. That's why, I suppose, they call them 'considerations'. Something mildly lacking in more than just the astrological community.

Blessings,

Anachiel

Its mentioned when you study other areas, Astrology its self, especially traditional astrology which is what horary is made from, Uses Alchemy, Hermetics, And all sorts of other things. Astrology is the basis for all classical hermetic magics. Study hermetics and you will figure out where the missing peaces go.

Over time, miss translations and wrong information seep in with changes, and libraries being burned, people being executed and christian kings winning crusades.

Ultimately its not mentioned in "Astrology" .... Unless you read the right books.

The emerald tablet, study enochian magic, and a lot of golden dawn information. As well as a book or two that can be found on the net, from rennisance astrology if you know where to look. That's where you will encounter more astrology then you can possibly realize. Especially in aliester crowley's works.

Last edited: