Taurus the Cow?

holly

The water and earth signs have negative polarity. The fire and air signs have yang or positive polarity. You could probably google it if you wanted to, it's just unfortunate that I'm no where near my astrology books at the moment to look it up for you.

I think another two terms sometimes used to decribe the same thing, is 'extrovert' and 'introvert'. There is also 'dynamic' but I can't remember the opposite to that one. They all kind of mean the same thing. Capricorn is an introverted sign.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
The water and earth signs have negative polarity. The fire and air signs have yang or positive polarity.

I'm aware of Chinese, Confusian, and Taoist philosophies such as Yin and Yang. I don't think comparing it to Western elementals is a wise idea, though I do understand where you're coming from with this. I've often thought of Earth to be Masculine and Air to be Feminine, but this was through a long series of personal musings.

Capricorn is an introverted sign.

Ah yes, this is true. I just thought the idea of Capricorn being receptive was a little strange. I guess I know so cold, evil Capricorns, but I can't say I would imagine Capricorn gaining anything by attracting, but by doing. Which would run opposite against its slothful Taurian cousin.

holly

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
I don't think comparing it to Western elementals is a wise idea, though I do understand where you're coming from with this
I didn't invent this. I am passing on knowledge I have gained through astrology books and websites. I have no opinion, personally, about whether the associations are 'right' or 'wrong'.

Capricorn is Cardinal, don't forget, which explains the "doing." Capricorn is kind of like the "quiet achiever", it pursues success quietly. Fire and Air express their personalities outwardly, to the world. Water and Earth are said to be inner-directed, so their energies are more subtle and contained. That is how I see Capricorn. Yes, it pursues security and status, but it doesn't draw attention to itself.

I'm just guessing now, but perhaps Capricorn is receptive because its worth is dependant on the standards of others. It cares what people think. It wants status in the eyes of others, to gain the respect of others. I don't know.

I guess I know so cold, evil Capricorns,

Just on that point, I think it helps if you think of the sign in isolation, and not associate it in your mind with people you know. You will never get a pure expression of any sign, because of the other factors in a birth chart.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
pixiequix said:
Yeah, Dane Rudhyar sure was a mindless follower without an original thought to his name. It's not like he had any deep and penetrating insights into the comprehension of abstract subjects like music and astrology. Or an entire career full of them. :D

Well, to be fair, the only thing he said was that the symbolism of the bull tells us to not overstress the feminine qualities of Taurus. Which seems silly as Taurus is much more cow-ish than bull-ish. Perhaps the only real bull-like tendency Taurians have is the ability to get furiously angry. Well, what happens when you upset a cow or make her think you're a danger to her calf? RUN! Which perhaps fits the letter better than the 'bull'. Cows only anger over particular things and can let anything else just roll off their backs. Just like my Taurian mother who can only seem to get angry at her siblings and husband (oh, you saw that last one coming). This runs contrary to the sterotypical nature of the bull, which is 'Charge, charge, charge. Angry, angry, angry.'

A bull charges at anything red. A cow, at whatever threatens her or her posterity.

unukalhai

Rudhyar is one of the few who writes on astrological cycles, both planetary and of the zodiac, as process oriented things; and I tend to agree with him. Each energy, planet, house, etc, is a continuation of the previous and a door to the next!

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Well no, actually, that's not the only thing he said in that particular passage. :D

Well, while that is true, it's the only thing relevent to the thread topic.

He explained that the crop of mental intelligence that comes with Gemini, has to be grown in the fertile soil of earthy Taurus. It emphasizes the amount of substance that accompanies Taurean qualities.

While this is indeed interesting, it is extraneous information that can't really be used in a 'for the bull/for the cow' debate. The cycle he mentions doesn't at all fit into either the 'bull' or the 'cow' symbol, nor does it evoke possible gender symbols of other debated Signs.

I don't mean to come off as angry, cynical, or anything negative. I just thought it was odd for this to be at all brought up in this thread. Perhaps you should consider creating another thread that has a discussion of these Planetary, Zodiacal, and House(-ary???) cycles. I would be very interested in learning and participating.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
What you've been doing all along is attempting to excuse a situation where I felt someone was being directly rude to me.

No, what I've been doing all along is stating and defending my opinion and offering a completely different culture's view of a particular Zodiac Sign based on the name given to it. Forgive me as I have obviously transgressed.

Perhaps now you can do the same?

Um, yeah, I could have after post #27 in this thread, actually.

And while my contribution to the discussion may not have had 100% word for word relevance to the topic, it was still completely valid. Besides, I'd much rather be adding something to the discussion, than nitpicking at the contributions of those around me!

The only reason I started 'nitpicking' was because you decided to try and drag in the Zodiacal cycles the author described as if they were fantastically relevant argument that would change it all around when it wasn't even remotely connected to the topic matter. The only thing Radhyar said as far as Taurus the Bull/Cow went as that the Bull symbolism was similar to a warning telling us to not overstress the the feminine qualities of Taurus. While the translation of energy from Taurus to Gemini covered later in the excerpt was indeed interesting it didn't fit into any real aforementioned argument. It seemed more an argument for Taurus as an Earth Sign then anything, something that was never even questioned. So, trying to throw it back up as a defense for the author after charmvirgo offered up her differing opinon seemed very very strange to me. I agree with charmvirgo's opinion, and since I haven't seen her say "Kaiousei! Stop defending my opinion!" I'm going to continue to do so. I'm sorry if you disagree with this.

Oh, and charmvirgo, if you do want me to stop defending your opinion that I share, then please, feel free to tell me to do so.

Anyway, perhaps we can find some way to smoothly move back onto the subject matter now.

Last edited:

Draco

It would be nice if we could go back to the topic of the thread.
Yes, it would.

Venus in Aries:
The most important animal cults were the bull cults in Egypt in the 1st Dynasty. The ancients believed that the powerful bull represented the personality of the king with slate palettes dating back as far as 3100 BC even show kings as bulls. This animal was chosen because it symbolized the king’s courageous heart, great strength, virility, and fighting spirit. The bulls horns even embellish some of the tombs of courtiers who served the first Saqqara kings. / Once the bull was proclaimed to be a god incarnate, it was taken to the temple compound where it was purified, stabled in majestic quarters, fed the best foods, and given a herd of the finest cows. So even during this period in history I can still see both. The strong fighting bull that the kings like to be personafied as and then to be pampered with the finest bed and spoiled with the best food and sex a cow could have. How can you get more Taurean than this?

How can you get any less feminine, venusian or lunar?

The bull is associated with kingship and male supremacy because it is a solar animal, not a lunar one.

The bull is definately a solar animal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_(mythology)

Taurus is a feminine sign, ruled by Venus and the Moon. As such, it is the most feminine of feminine signs. You don't get any more feminine than Taurus in the zodiac. Venus and the Moon are both associated with motherhood, and the Moon is certainly associated with milk, as it presides over female biological processes and so over the process of lactation. We depend upon the cow for her milk, making the cow something of a surrogate mother to humanity. Taurus is the sacred cow, and will have been altered for some reason, somewhere along the line.

The bull represents masculine sexual drive, virility and agression, it always did and still does, so how can it be emblematic of the most feminine of signs when the bull has always represented the most potent masculine characteristics in the human psyche in animal form?

The first sign, masculine and ruled by Mars and the Sun represents the primal masculine, the second sign, feminine and ruled by Venus and the Moon, represents the primal feminine.

If anything, it would probably make more sense in seeing the first sign as the solar and martial bull, and the second sign as the venusian and lunar cow. I am not of course suggesting that Aries should be turned into a bull, not at all, certainly not, but I am saying that Taurus should definately be a cow. It makes crystal clear, perfect sense. Understanding Taurus as a cow is a bit of a 'eureka' moment, where all the symbolism falls into place.

As many of you are aware, I take a traditional perspective in astrology, and I do not believe in coming along and twisting thousands of years of tradition to suit personal whims or to bridge gaps in learning that one cannot be bothered to fill, but I do believe strongly, and on grounds of sound reason and common sense, that we would be better served, and glean a better understanding of Taurus, in seeing that it is a cow, and not a bull.

I do in fact wonder if there has been a mistranslation, misunderstanding or deliberate corruption somewhere along the line when it comes to the symbolism of Taurus, as this has happened before with Aquarius, which I will mention shortly.

Lilly said:

I've never wondered whether the goat was a female or a male nor have I ever considered till about an hour ago that the virgin might be a male virgin.

I have wondered about this, and the goat of Capricorn, a feminine sign, represents a nanny-goat and not a billy-goat. The goat of Capricornus represents Amalthea, the she-goat who nursed and suckled the infant Zeus when he was abandoned on the mountainside. In honour of this, Zeus immortalised his surrogate mother into the constellation of Capricornus.

Virgo, a male virgin? Most certainly not! It's a question of perspective, but properly, there is no such thing as a male 'virgin' in the physical sense, at least, not heterosexually. Virginity is the female state of having an unbroken hymen. We may casually refer to a man who has not had sexual intercourse with a woman as a 'virgin', but really this is a generalisation, understood in a physical sense, men lose their virginity in a different way, and in the modern world, most never do, which again taps into Aquarius which I will mention shortly.

Venus in Aries:

I mean is the water bearer really female or just a pretty male?

Ganymede of Aquarius is most certainly not a female, he is a beautiful male youth, and a masculine sign of course, a big clue. You will, more often than not see the character of Aquarius symbolised by a woman. This is a deliberate corruption of the ever meddling Christians, to disguise the mythology behind the sign, in which Aquarius is represented by Zeus' young homosexual lover, and cup-bearer of the gods of Olympus. In Tarot 'The Star' is often associated with Aquarius, based upon this corruption of Aquarius as a female figure, as is traditionally depicted in the card.

Ganymede as 'cup-bearer' is emblematic of his receptivity, in that he plays the role of catamite, which for those of you who don't know, is the complementary opposite of a sodomite, it is the passive party in homosexual intercourse. As Aquarius represents a catamite, and as this taps into the practice of pederasty, the initiation of male youths into manhood by acquiring the seed of an older male, we can see why the moralising Christians had to stick their oar in, and make haste to transform poor Ganymede into a woman, the way it 'should' be, according to them.

As with Amalthea of Capricornus, Zeus honoured Ganymede by immortalising him in the stars of Aquarius beneath the protective wings of Aquila the eagle, Zeus' animal form, in order to place him out of reach of and to protect him from the wrath of his furious wife, Hera.

Now earlier I mentioned how Taurus may have been deliberately corrupted from a cow into a bull, just as the interfering Christians corrupted Aquarius from a lad into a woman, albeit for opposite reasons.

In the classical world, there was much derision for the female and the feminine, and perhaps that as the masculine virilty of the bull was so important to them, they decided to have Taurus as a bull rather than a cow, and this has lasted ever since. I'm not necessarily saying that this is the case, just an idea, but I do feel very strongly that there has been some misunderstading or deliberate corruption somewhere along the line, just as the Christians did with Aquarius to suit their own ideology, then perhaps this also took place much earlier in the classical period with Taurus being changed from feminine cow into masculine bull, given the great glorification of all things masculine back then. None the less, Taurus, feminine and residence of Venus and the Moon, just doesn't make sense, its the most feminine bloody sign of them all, the primal feminine for goodness sake!

I think it's time that we honoured the primal feminine again and give the cow back to Taurus as it always should have been.

While I am aware that the 'masculine' and 'feminine' division of the signs is not necessarily a reference to 'male' and 'female', but can signify polarities such as active and passive, creative and receptive, I do think that for the purposes of gleaning understanding as to the appropriate sexes of the symbols of the signs, seeing them as male or female on this basis is a sensible application.

This is why Aries is a ram and not a sheep, why Taurus is a cow and not a bull, why Virgo is a woman not a man, and why Aquarius is a man and not a woman.

One thing that does take my interest regarding this discussion, is why Virgo should be represented by a virgin woman, and Aquarius by a non virgin man (remember that I am understanding 'virginity' as the state of being physically unchanged via phallic intervention).

Virgo and Aquarius are the only signs to be represented by a single human female and male respectively, and as such, represent the females and males of humanity in a mundane sense.

What intrigues me, is that Virgo, as virgin, represents what women 'should not' be, as it is 'unnatural' for a woman to remain a virgin, hymen intact. Aquarius represents what men 'should not' be, as it is deemed 'unnatural' for a man to have his virginity taken.

I do wonder about what this symbolism is all about. I think that this is interesting and worthy of deep thought. Virgo symbolises the opposite of our value judgements of what a woman should be, Aquarius represents the opposite of our value judgements of what a man should be. Interesting stuff.

Pixiequix quoted:

"Taurus is the "good earth," the bountiful Great Mother; and it can be considered as a feminine Sign. Nevertheless, strangely enough, it is represented in astrological symbolism by the Bull, and not by a female animal. This should make one careful not to overstress the passive or receptive characteristics of this Sign.

Taurus is indeed the bountiful Great Mother, the primal feminine in fact. Not overstress the passive or receptive characteristics of the bountiful Great Mother? What? The matriarch of the feminine signs ruled by Venus and the Moon? Yea right. How can, in one sentence, a person refer to Taurus as Mother Earth, and then in the same breath tell us not to overstress her femininity. I never envisioned Mother Earth with a great pair of swinging testicles personally. Make your mind up Rudhyar, you contradict yourself mate!

Charm said:

1/ how an original cow name for this sign has been mistranslated into something else with a differrent meaning,

2/ how people will try to fit characteristics of a bull that don't fit as a result of trying to adapt to the new image created by the mistranslated name,

3/ how the error is perpetuated by being passed along to others

4/ how being read by others who don't think for themselves will keep calling it bull - what a load of!

I totally agree Charm. However, I would imagine that Taurus as bull rather than cow, was a deliberate corruption, like the Christians did with Aquarius, rather than a mistranslation, by the macho adoring patriarchs of the classical world.

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
This led me to think of the Sacred Cow of Hinduism. Well, okay, in reality I had thought to include it with kingyuukyuu, but for some reason it didn't seem right as India is not Greece. I realize now that that's mighty rich reasoning coming from me as Japan is obviously not Greece either. Anyhow, I thought to include this from Wikipedia.

Wikipedia: Sacred Cow said:
In Hinduism, the cow is considered sacred and its protection is a recurrent theme in which she is symbolic of abundance, of the sanctity of all life and of the earth that gives much while asking nothing in return. Most Hindus respect the cow as a matriarchal figure for her gentle qualities and providing nurturing milk and its products for a largely vegetarian diet. Hindus do not worship the cow, yet it holds an honored place in society, and it is part of Hindu tradition to avoid the consumption of beef.

The ideals associated with this sacred cow of India and Vedic traditions are definitely Venisan and Lunar in themes and obviously the associations of abundance and nourishment are Taurian in nature. Very different from the bull, who apparently is not quite as sacred. Another quote from the same page:

Other scriptures identify the cow as the "mother" of all civilization, its milk nurturing the population. The gift of a cow is applauded as the highest kind of gift.

Nurturing sacred cows. A connection? I think so. I can find no such importance for the male counterpart of the cow, however.

The main star in the constellation of Taurus in the Vedic tradition is named Rohini. Rohini is a mother goddess who is in fact called 'mother-cow', obviously and the star associated with her is the same star we know as Aldebaron. Vedically, this mother goddess star rests within the only purely Taurian lunar mansion. So, the essence of the Taurus constellation (the brightest star) resting in the only purely Taurian mansion is perhaps a major factor for the cow.

I had the idea to cross-reference this for the Chinese Taurian lunar mansions and the four I found were Stomach, Celestial Foodstuffs, Moon, and Yin Force. All very Taurian associations.
It seems Taurus is the feminine cow everywhere but the West...

One of my main things concerning Taurus was wondering where the constellation came from. As I mentioned before, the constellations Virgo and Libra came from the goddess Astraea and her scales, Gemini is Castor and Pollux, Sagittarius is Chiron. Draco brought up that Capricorn was the nanny-goat who served as the surrogate mother to Zeus and Aquarius was Ganymede. So, it got me to thinking 'Who was Taurus?'

Some searching uncovered two possibilities for this Sign. The first one I thought of was when Zeus took the form of a great white bull to seduce Europa. I thought perhaps Zeus had thought to place this bull form of himself in the heavens. I thought this was impossible at first, since I had always thought the constellations were similar to their remains, and I didn't see how Zeus could make himself into a constellation and still be a living god. Draco's mention of the constellation Aquila and how it is supposed to be Zeus in bird form protecting Ganymede, so apparently this set-up is very, very possible.

The second possibility of the identity of the Taurus constellation could perhaps be Io. Io was caught with Zeus in bull form by Hera, so Hera turned her into a cow and sent an evil fly to sting and chase her all over the world. It is a possibility that Zeus decided to place Io in the sky to protect her from a continuation of Hera's wrath in a way similar to Ganymede.

Both these scenarios seem about equally plausible.

Perhaps the biggest problem with the Taurus the Cow association is the fact that the constellation obviously has horns. Well, this led a dear friend and me to discuss the idea of horned cows. Apparently, he had never seen one, while I can hardly go a day without seeing one. I definitely would have made the point that some 'breeds' of cow do have horns earlier, but I could have sworn someone had already brought this up. Anyway, there is the possibility that a culture with hornless cows misunderstood a previous culture's horned cow depictions and assumed them to be a bull as this was native to them. So, thinking back on my senior thesis concerning astrology I learned that many of our Zodiacal Signs originated in Egypt. My friend did some digging for me and found evidence that supports this theory.

Taurus originated in Egypt and was most likely depicted after the goddess Hathor in a way similar to the Greeks and their constellation tales being so entwined with the mythology of their gods. This led to the discovery of another and another picture to further this, the bos indicus breed. So, we know Egyptians had horned cows and most likely modeled the Sign of Taurus after their goddess Hathor.

Thinking about a culture with some influence in Egypt that may not have had horned cows I immediately thought of Greece and the 332BC occupation by Alexander the Great. It's around this time that you start to see the horoscopic astrology to which we are used to nowadays starting to come out for the first time. This holds true in the fact that the minority of Greek cows had horns (the bos taurus breed) while the grand majority of cows in Egypt had horns. Even with this, perhaps the Egyptian's cows horns dwarfed the Greek cows horns (those that had them) and made the Greeks think along the lines of 'Those horns are far too large to be a cow. It must be a bull.'

Last edited:

astrobhadauria

The difference is only for thinking-I am, and I have, after this there ae third house I can say.The meaning of I have,is the full mouth.man and woman,both are one human,and cow or bull both are one.
Rohini Nakshatra: The word is derived from Rohan which means to rise or to bring into existence. It extends in the Vrishabha Rashi from 10 degree to 23:20. The lord of it is Sukra, the symbol a Cart drawn by Cows. The Devata is Brahma, the prime creator of all things living, from the meanest insect to Man, the beauty of the weird, the paragon of animals. Rohini- group therefore encompasses everything that comes within the range of creation--beasts, birds, animals etc. It would also connote the process of growing, begetting, birth, production etc, in brief production, birth and creation. Rising means process of ascending, that is to say the creative evolution, the cultivation and the improvement. Mythology describes Rohini the wife of Chandra. Of all the 27 Stars-all wives of Chandra-Rohini is said to have been fond of fine dress, cosmetics and decore and was the most beloved of Chandra. The Rohini (group) is, in the line with this, considered to be the cause of a taste for fine dress, perfume, and other articles of toilet. Creation continues to exist mainly on the basis of food; and Rohini is supposed to be the cause of food. The direct and immediate cause of food is Agni and Brahma the remote cause. From this point of view the God who gives food, that is Agni, is the spiritual principle of Rohini (group) Nakshatra and because, Brahma the remote cause of food is also the Devata of Rohini; the range of influences of this group runs over the whole gamut of the visible and invisible animal world.
Those born in the star Rohini are agriculturists, experts, well behaved, handsome, good speakers and poets. They are stable minded, respected, enjoyers and interested in love making. They are of sweet-speech, intelligent, capable and bright. They are long-lived and perform accepted jobs, religious, truthful and help those who have helped them. They are respected by kings. They respect gods and brahmins and know the science of metres and metaphors. They are able servants of their lords and determined. They are endowed with good looking hands and wide forehead, handsome, independent, loved by their children, experts, wealthy with respect to corns and money, have desire to wear new clothes, suffer from eye diseases, little feared and play with women.
Those born in the first pada of Rohini are endowed with red hairs, daring, candid, and cruel.

Last edited: