Yod

anca

Account Closed
Hi everybody,

I'm new here :) and let me start by wishing you all only Trines and Grand Trines.

I'm mildly disturbed by a personal Yod, Saturn-appex (III) Mars (IX) Mercury (VIII). If anybody has some in deep knowledge with yod configuration I would higly appreciate for sharing it with me. I googled a lot for yod but didn't find much.

Arian Maverick

You may wish to type in yod in the search box to find previous threads about yod configurations; we've had a few in the past ;)

I wish I still had all of the links I collected on my Favorite Places list, because if you search carefully enough, you will find bits and pieces of useful information scattered around the Internet; unfortunately, I haven't yet come across any comprehensive information about this particular configuration.

I do have a few documents saved on my computer containing information I've copied/pasted from various websites. I'd post it here, but it's probably illegal to do so since I have long forgotten the original authors :eek:

There's a lot of talk about the native having some special destiny to fulfill, but this seems a bit elitist to me...

I'll try to return to this thread in the morning when I'm more coherent.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

knowhow999

I am quite new to astrology readings. I use reference books frequently. The YOD BOOK by Karen Hamaker-Zondag is published by Samuel Weiser, Inc. may prove helpful.
The author analyzed the Yod which the late Princess Diana had and I found that chapter fascinating.
I hope this helps.

Knowhow999

starlink

The YOD BOOK by Karen Hamaker-Zondag is published by Samuel Weiser, Inc. may prove helpful.
Yes indeed. I have a large article about Yods from her, but all in Dutch so that does not serve any purpose here. I was thinking immediately about Hamaker, because she has explained this very well indeed. Starlink.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi there,
Just a few ideas...The way I have been reading yods (and my mother has two in her natal chart..) is to see it this way....
Two planets are in agreement with one another- the two that sextile.The signs and houses they are in give a clue as to what they agree about..
Now an inconjunct is a *can't see* aspect...houses 150 deg apart can't *see* one another...Two planets that are in agreement can't see the planet that is the focus /apex of the yod...
I read an inconjunct, or quincunx as *can't see what this planet is up to*,and depending which planet it is and what state its in and where it is, the outcome could be serious..(hence the *finger of God* title ).eg, if you can't *see what mars is up to that could present a few problems, esp if mars is badly aspected by other planets.Often its what you can't see that *does you in*,hence the bad press given to yods..Other very positive aspects can greatly lessen the effects. I have heard a yod referred to as *something that must be faced and accepted*...to me it works like a "blind spot*.Cheers, lillyjgc

starlink

Hi Anca, I also have a Yod in my chart between Mars in Aries 5 sextile Uranus in Gemini in 7, both inconjunct to Moon in Scorpio in 12.
My problem has always been making a choice between my own desires, hobbies etc. and my duties towards my partner. Somehow it always bugs me if I am in the middle of doing something for myself and I have to stop doing it. Uranus in 7 wânts a lot of freedom within a relationship. The inconjunct gives me a bad conscions if I do my own thing and it makes me feel unhappy for NOT doing my own thing when I am doing something for my partner. There is always an underlying current of some sort of stress which is difficult to define. When one of the 3 planets in a Yod is being activated through a longterm transit (Pluto or Saturn) you then are confronted with biiiiiiggg problems!! That at least has been my experience of this yod. Star.

anca

Account Closed
Thank you very much to all for sharing with me your yod information/experiences.
Star, your yod must be very fascinating, try to look more into it, having an apex Moon, in XII, in Scorpio....this is more than a minor conflict between your hobbies and your partner....

I have my own yod story, unfortunately most parts are too private to be shared. But I can tell you that I find my yod forcing me into a realm which I strongly don't like (my apex Saturn) as I've always played on Neptunian notes (no addiction involved), Neptune being strong in my chart. The immediate result was challenge, after challenge, after challenge....Challenge often means pain and sometimes it's true that there is no gain without pain, especially for people with yods, oppositions...different story for people with trines and grand trines :rolleyes: ....so, I had gains from the other two plantes and houses involved in my yod, gains supervised and approved by Saturn as they were obviously fated - seeds planted before I was even born (house VIII), a totally change for my life direction (different country - house IX), and an encounter in which the exact position of my apex Saturn was involved.
And then I had challanges again, losses again, it looks that I didn't follow Saturn rules, I didn't do my yod, kind of North Node job. So here I am, trying to do my yod, come to peace with my demanding Saturn so largely spread on my chart 150 to the east, 150 to the west. But I might as well try to trick him again (Mercury is my ruler) :D

All the best and all the trines!

!3*_!un@_!nc*9n!t*

anca said:
Hi everybody,

I'm new here :) and let me start by wishing you all only Trines and Grand Trines.

I'm mildly disturbed by a personal Yod, Saturn-appex (III) Mars (IX) Mercury (VIII). If anybody has some in deep knowledge with yod configuration I would higly appreciate for sharing it with me. I googled a lot for yod but didn't find much.
Hi !!

This is NOT a "Yod" ....... the planet/point at the apex must be the fastest moving body

..... you can check the speeds of the planets in your chart(at www.astro.com) by clicking on the "additional information" link once you have the chart displayed on your screen.

...yods have an inherent relationship to midpoints ..... check your Ptolemy .

... as a sidenote .... there is a school of thought that contends that a "yod" may indeed be a 144-144-72 type arrangement .... i'm sure 2 minutes of looking at the sacred geometry behind such a statement might prove .... interesting !!

LLT(leo_lunar_tick)

tikana

starlink said:
Hi Anca, I also have a Yod in my chart between Mars in Aries 5 sextile Uranus in Gemini in 7, both inconjunct to Moon in Scorpio in 12.
My problem has always been making a choice between my own desires, hobbies etc. and my duties towards my partner. Somehow it always bugs me if I am in the middle of doing something for myself and I have to stop doing it. Uranus in 7 wânts a lot of freedom within a relationship. The inconjunct gives me a bad conscions if I do my own thing and it makes me feel unhappy for NOT doing my own thing when I am doing something for my partner. There is always an underlying current of some sort of stress which is difficult to define. When one of the 3 planets in a Yod is being activated through a longterm transit (Pluto or Saturn) you then are confronted with biiiiiiggg problems!! That at least has been my experience of this yod. Star.

Hey Starlink

Moon in scorpio is difficult on its own. Moon being in 12th puts your emotions deep in the closet but it is not disturbing anythign on its own and Moon in scorpio works its own way by itself. Yod here displaying pull and push. so Moon is torn literally between crazy powerful MARS which is in its own sign and Gemini Uranus where Uranus is a bit comfortable .. the biggest conflict here is Mars! it is seriously pushing moon to do what it is not meant to do.. from what i have been reading is that the planet that is in focus *in your case it si moon* everythign associated with its location and other aspects becomes your navigator of your life. Yod deals with spiritaul world vs physical even though the transits involving Yods, create extremly uncomfortable situations. Robert Hand said that you need to stand on your ground when transits trigger yod.

does this explain?
Tik

Arian Maverick

This is NOT a "Yod" ....... the planet/point at the apex must be the fastest moving body

I've read this argument before, but I personally don't believe the apex planet must be the fastest moving body; I have two yod configurations in my natal chart, and the one with the tighter orbs has Pluto has its apex, which is obviously the slowest-moving planet.

I feel energies its energies particularly strongly, possibly because the nature of Pluto is--in my opinion--similar to the nature of the quincunx aspect in that obsessions and compulsive tendencies tend to be associated with both.

I remember nearly jumping out of my chair when I created the natal chart of someone I know and discovered that he had the same type of "double yod configuration" that I have in my own, in which one quincunx aspect forms a line between two planets that is used in another yod, thereby connecting them. The configuration involved different planets, but one of his yods also had an apex of Pluto, and I thought it was interesting we had both struggled with obsessive-compulsive tendencies in the past.

I have not studied enough charts with his type of configuration, so I cannot make any definite connections, but I am hesitant to discount such an intense planet as Pluto despite its small size and distance from the earth.

Yod configurations with an outer planet apex may not have as personal and immediate an effect as yod configurations with a faster-moving, personal planet as the apex, but I do not believe this makes them any less significant or powerful.

Arian Maverick

Lin

I agree.... as long as the orb is within 2 1/2 degrees for the inconjuncts and under 8 degrees for the sextile, it's a YOD.
I want to add something to the above: the nature of the planet at the apex, whether a personal planet or what I term a "god" planet, has a lot to do with the way the yod is delineated.
I mean...LOL... If let's say Uranus is at the apex, and the two sextile planets are, for instance, Mars and moon, it would be a very different story than if the planet at the apex was Venus, and the two sextiling planets were, let's say, Jupiter and Pluto! ya can't read a chart in a vacuum
You need to see the WHOLE chart.
LIN

Last edited:

anca

Account Closed
Hi Lin,

What would you be interested in? It's a very tight yod - Saturn 11.51 (III), Mercury 10.14 (VIII), Mars 10. 27 (IX). Also Mars conjunct Part of Fortune 10.35, conjunct MC 14.45.
-Other challenges: Moon-Sun-Pluto very tight T SQ. -true
-Dreamy: Neptune trine Moon. (Neptune in I) -true
-Scary (?) maybe you'll help with an answer : Moon/Lilith conjunct in V - still I wonder, still I wonder...although I have some clues
-Venus trine AC / Saturn sextile AC -true
-The only planet not aspected at all and hidden in house XII: Jupiter -true

I hope it helps your case study and thank you for showing interest in my yod. :)

Lin

Hi Anca,
Don't think me difficult, but when reading a map, it's much easier to see the entire map.... and I'm a map reader (professional astrologer). So if you could post your birth date, time and place it would be much easier, and also, if you had questions in the future, you wouldn't have to type out all the info as you did above.. it would just be there.
LIN

anca

Account Closed
Lin said:
Hi Anca,
Don't think me difficult, but when reading a map, it's much easier to see the entire map.... and I'm a map reader (professional astrologer). So if you could post your birth date, time and place it would be much easier, and also, if you had questions in the future, you wouldn't have to type out all the info as you did above.. it would just be there.
LIN

Hi Lin,

You are a professional astrologer....I feel exclaiming as johnmike 59 'what am I doing here!?'...:eek: I'm an accountant.
I have to admit that I did not search the forum before, I just registered and popped up the question about my yod. Anyway, this forum is great and I already learned a lot, at least yodwise. My novice conclusion is that a yod is the most challenging configuration. Am I right or wrong?

starlink

Hi Tik, yes, I read quite a bit about Yods and what it does to you. Indeed, Robert Hand is right there. I have been pulled between my duties towards my marriage and partner herein and wanting to do my own creative things like Astrology, painting erc.(or having a love afair ha ha!). Your really have to have both feet on the ground when the transit hits, especially when it is a progressed planet to do with relationships and love. I feel that I become very egoistic about it, something really not me, and that's why it is always accompanied by guiltfeelings (as soon as I am doing too much for myself).
For the rest I really dont feel it as "awful" at all. Guiltfeelings which make me irritable and restless and that is what the Yod is usually about, a vague feeling of restlessness and you dont know where it comes from.

Lin,
I personally don't believe the apex planet must be the fastest moving body;
I agree with AM. It does not matter which planet it is, a fast or a slow one.
I have been thinking that the outer or as you call them "God" planets, could show that the problems come from a much deeper psychological level and far more difficult for the person to understand, whilst the more personal, faster planets are showing something far more visible. Also the background of the Apex is important, from which house it operates.

Arian Maverick

My novice conclusion is that a yod is the most challenging configuration. Am I right or wrong?

I don't know if I'd go as far as call the yod "the most challenging configuration," at least if you define a challenging configuration as one that indicates a tendency for the native to create difficult situations in his or her life. Every configuration pattern--even the so-called "easy" or "harmonious" ones--has its challenges, for an aspect primarily indicates how easily the energy of two planets is expressed. This energy could have positive or negative effects, depending upon how we express it. This, I believe, is the key to understanding configurations, which are simply patterns of aspects.

For example, yod configurations can indicate some creative talent and ability, as the native must constantly integrate the different energies within themselves. Remember that the basic yod consists of two quincunx aspects; most of the signs that naturally form quincunx aspects have very little in common, even less so than signs that naturally oppose each other, for at least these signs share a common modality (cardinal, fixed, or mutable) and gender (masculine or feminine). Although Aries-Scorpio and Taurus-Libra share a common ruler--Mars and Venus, respectively--signs that naturally quincunx each other do not share a common modality, gender, or element. How I personally interpret a yod aspect, then, is that the planets do not necessarily dislike each other--they simply have difficulty relating to each other, sort of like the dynamics of two radically different groups in high school that generally avoid each other out of unfamiliarity. Yet the yod configuration forces these unlike groups to interact with each other, sort of like one of those "mix it up" days school sometimes sponsors in their cafeteria to encourage students to sit with others of a different race. Sometimes, I believe such integration is much easier between groups that have nothing in common than groups that have so much in common that they may despise each other. It's interesting how this works, but we often have more in common with our so-called enemies than we would like to believe.

So what I am have been trying to demonstrate through this example is that, in my experience, the planets in a yod configuration generally aren't antagonistic of each other. In this way, it is not a challenging configuration, but integrating the different qualities of the signs and planets involved can be difficult. Fortunately, the sextile provides an easy exchange of energies that one can draw upon to cope with the challenges of the uncomfortable, almost unfamiliar energies of the two quincunxes.

I hope this heps explains the dynamics of yod configurations somewhat ;)

Arian Maverick

tikana

Starlink

usually Yods are internal unless it is in public houses. you get those feelings because you feel you are being pulled by 2 forces at the same time. sometimes you should be egstical. it is not an easy configuration.

cheers
Tik

anca

Account Closed
Arian, I do believe that to some extent depends on us to play the positive or negative energies, but I think it's more to the equation than our willingness. I've read a little about H.P Blavatsky's life and it seems to me that she had all the knowledge and skills in the world to handle the energies and yet she ended her life in pain, heartbroken and dissapointment. It was a huge blow to my new optimistical approach.
Tikana, I do not think that a yod or whatever other aspect is translated only on an internal level, I think there are multiple, in time, materializations on the physical plane. I don't think we got stuffed with energies and no outlet for physical manifestation. Even if you do nothing to materialize it (event, situation) somehow, somewhere, someday that internally built up energy is going to match it's pair, like two missing pieces in a puzzle. And it might be true that everything originates internally, but this brings me back to square one: how come that Blavatsky ended her life unhappy.....
I think I digressed a little from this thread's subject....