Playing with House Systems

Kite

With all the excitement around Aquarian/Arien Maverick's revelation that she had her borther's birth time and thus a different rising sign (Aries instead of Aquarius), I thought I would look some more at how the different house systems would effect my natal planets positions in the houses.

I have a strange chart in that depending on the house system used, there could be a swing of two houses either way on some of my planetary positions. Also, I had been working with the whole house system and was getting some interesting results but I think I want to reserve that system for special use.

So I played around once again today, looked at the different positions and read the Sabian interpretations for the various cusps of the houses. So - my new house system for now is the Campanus House System.

What I found with Campanus is it changed my Moon/Mars conjunction in Aries from the 2nd house to the end of the first house. I feel my emotional nature is much more front and center in my personality then sitting in the second counting/spending money (although close to cusp has an effect there).

My 10th house Sun moves from 10 to 11 which makes more sense for me in that I've cared more about group work then my individual achievement. Saturn at the MC remains which causes continual maturing as a professional but more to survive than to express.

My Jupiter moves from 8 to 7 which makes sense because I've had a hard time with managing debt as Neptune also moves from 9 to 8 now all alone. There's also been a lot of confusion surrounding a potential inheritance. With Jupiter now in 7 it teams with Pluto in Virgo to act as consultant in the technology industry (Jup rules the MC and 11).

So for now I'm in the Campanus camp. We'll see how I feel after Mercury turns direct and moves out my intercepted Pisces or was it intercepted Aries or Taurus? Each house system played there too!

Kite

Kite

Back to this discussion of house systems and intercepted houses. I throw this out for investigation and comment.

OK..Here's the latest. What's most important in the chart are the angles. Talking ASC, DSC, MC and IC. These are the cardinal points of the chart where action, decision, movement occurs both internally and externally. The Cardinal houses will over-reach their boundaries (using planets showing up there in other house systems) as energy to move these areas.

The houses outside of the angles are fixed and mutable. My theory is that if within any of the given house systems the planet is in a fixed house (2, 8, 11) then that planet will carry fixed traits such as stubborness, instinctual reaction, aloofness, etc. anything that seems immovable.

The cadent or mutable houses (3,6,12) will mutate to energies nearby as shown by varying house systems. If the planet shows up as fixed in one house system say Mars in the 2nd house and shows up mutable in another house system as 3rd house. I would interpret this as Mars acting in a very fixated way as it deals with 3rd house issues such as writing, ordinary life, etc.

If Mars also shows up in the first house in another house system then Mars is also energizing the first house issues represented by the ascendant.

What I've described is actually my situation as Placidus shows my Mars/Moon conjunction in Aries in the 2nd house. The Whole House system puts them in the 3rd house and Campanus puts them in the first house.

My conjunction is fixed yet energizes my Aquarian Ascendant with fire as it deals with third house issues such as my writing.

Interceptions is another area that is also one to consider when looking at different house sytems. Obviously with a Whole House or Equal House approach they go away which leads me to believe that these systems point to more of an "after' picture of what the chart looks like when energies have been fully integrated.

But when you have interceptions that vary depending on the house system then it can be confusing. In my case with Placidus, I have Aries/Libra intercepted. With Koch, I have Taurus/Scorpio intercepted. With Campanus, I have Virgo/Pisces intercepted. With Morinus, I have Cancer/Capricorn Intercepted.

So I have 2 sets of Cardinal signs intercepted, a fixed interception and a mutable one all depending on the house system used. What does this mean? I believe these are polarity isses that need to be integrated at one time or another in the life. It's just at certain times they show up with a stronger sense of urgency.

I think experimentation is in order to see if progressions with the angles touch off these polarity point integration episodes. For instance, if the Asc moves into Taurus as mine will in the next few years, will it activate the Taurus/Scorpio integration of my resources versus others?

I know that when my Ascendant moved into Aries, I dealt with the birth of our daughter and I was no longer the child. I had to become a true partner in the relationship. At the same time my MC moved into Capricorn so I had to deal with the family vs. career polarity. I had to take solid actions during this cardinal period to move to a new home and to be successful as both a father and a professional in my field.

I faced the Pisces/Virgo polarity when my parents divorced and remarried other people when my Ascendant moved from Aquarius to Pisces at the age of 10. My needs were sacrificed for their needs. I had to learn (mutate/adapt) to taking care of my own needs which included getting a paper route to make money.

I would love to hear other's thoughts on their experiences in these shifting houses and interceptions area. Thanks.

Kite

Frisiangal

Hi Kite,

I know that when my Ascendant moved into Aries, I dealt with the birth of our daughter and I was no longer the child. I had to become a true partner in the relationship. At the same time my MC moved into Capricorn so I had to deal with the family vs. career polarity. I had to take solid actions during this cardinal period to move to a new home and to be successful as both a father and a professional in my field.

The ASC.-DESC and M.C.-I.C. axes are the one constant in whatever house system is used., so they cannot prove the validity of one system above the other.

I would love to hear other's thoughts on their experiences in these shifting houses and interceptions area. Thanks.

Kite
[/quote]

Progressed house cusps are a better way of deciding upon a system. E.G. If the 5th house cusp conjoins the 6th house cusp, or a planet in the 6th house, the individual faces work/health issues that effect him/her. If the prog. 6th house cusp conjoins the 7th house cusp or planets in 7th, it is often the partner who has those issues to deal with that then effect the private relationship. OR, it could be the progr. 11th house cusp that conjoins a planet and brings about a change or even an end to something regarding one's social life.

Have you also tried placing every planet of your chart in another house and figuring out what it means? I'll bet you could find an answer to fit every single time. :wink: I know I did. The human mind is so complex and has to deal with so many factors in a lifetime. I came to the conclusion that it was 'the main factors' that showed the presence of a planet in one house or another.

The systems themselves are based upon different facets of approaching life through time, space or place. I guess each individual uses the house system that suits his/her ideas about life the best. I could personally never take to Equal House because of my idea that life is not so orderly as that, and not everyone has or is provided with the same chances in life. I always felt the system goes askew as soon as you start progressing the cusps in relationship to the Ascendant, upon which the system is based. It doesn't move 'equally', so the whole logic of an 'equal' system flies out of the window :x Yet I know of astrologers who swear by its accuracy.

Just 2 cents worth of another perspective. :)

F.

I only really thought about House Systems, when I was beginning to look at other peoples charts. Mainly because when I first got into Astrology I just used a normal sheet to fill in my planets using the equal House System because it was easier. My planets fall in the same houses in both systems. It never really mattered to me.

It has only been this year when I got a computer and first went on the Internet you find out how many house systems there are. I chose the Placidus system since most Astrologers use this system. Also with programs like Astrodienst where any chart can be drawn up for in a matter of seconds, it does take out the calculating and time spent drawing a chart up. I find computers more reliable than my math, I know it will be accurate and more precise.

It was only after my son was born last year, and I couldn't wait to see his chart. I noticed you really do a need a system you can find reliable. I obviously know my Sons Birth Time by the minute, I was staring at the clock the whole time to get it precise. Being into Astrology I wanted his time of birth imprinted in my mind. I hope he appreciates my Astrology hobby when he gets older, it might help in life to find his way. But if he is a complete sceptic that's fine to because he has his right to his own opinion. I will still read his birth chart and offer him the best advice I can based on it. As I know it is such a valuable tool in my life.

Well back to the House System. My Son's Ascendant is 21 degrees. But he also has 4 planets which fall at this degree.

Sun 21
Mars 21
Jupiter 21
Pluto 21

In the equal House system his Jupiter falls in the 1st House. His Mars falls in the 8th House.

In the Placidus System which is the one I will use, Jupiter falls in the 2nd and Mars in the 9th.

With planets determining which house the energy will falls into, it is impotant to know and also when it comes to Major Configurations in the Chart you would want to know which houses will be affected in the Aspect pattern.

My Son has a T.Square which is supposed be quite common in charts.

He also has The Yod Finger of Fate, which involves three planets at 21 degrees so this is tight. The configuration points up to Mars I think it is important to know where the energies are placed in order to try and interpret them.

He also has a Grand Earth Trine, possibly a Grand Air trine as my computer shows the Grand Air Trine which involves Neptune in the 5th and Jupiter in the 2nd Trining the M.C. But this is something I am unsure about as I am not sure if you can use the M.C/ or it has to be a planet.

I think I will use Placidus for my chart interpretations, It is all a matter of personal choice and what system we feel comfortable in using.

Shining Ray