Which is more favorable; Solar Return ASC in 1st house or 12th?

Ixaee

In 2 years, my solar return ascendant will be in my 1st house/natal... Leo...

In all of my researching on Solar Returns (Im still learning this branch), I keep seeing that a 1st house ASC is very unfavorable and should be avoided if possible.

The only other place I could travel to that year would put my ASC in the 12th house; also not too favorable, as it deals with old karmic issues cropping up, low energy, possible loss/imprisonment, etc.

Which out of these 2 options would you chose to have your Ascendant in, and why please?? :unsure:

In 2 years, my solar return ascendant will be in my 1st house/natal... Leo...

In all of my researching on Solar Returns (Im still learning this branch), I keep seeing that a 1st house ASC is very unfavorable and should be avoided if possible.

The only other place I could travel to that year would put my ASC in the 12th house; also not too favorable, as it deals with old karmic issues cropping up, low energy, possible loss/imprisonment, etc.

Which out of these 2 options would you chose to have your Ascendant in, and why please?? :unsure:

Whoa, what!?

I had a solar return with ascendant in my first house, and it was one of the best years of my life! I had huge energy, accomplished so much and I was very much in the drivers seat of my life. I have mostly read information that supports my experience. I think that sr is very strong and I would love to have another year like that.

P.S. it depends on what you are up for...a first house year will see you up front and center in life, 12th house will be a quiet year, but also perhaps a lonely one.

Ixaee

THANK YOU Twelthnight for your experience!

Most of the sources Ive been reading regarding Solar Returns have been Vedic... and as you probably already know, their interpretations and insight can be somewhat cryptic at times. :crying:

Im glad to know that it shouldnt be so bad!
(more learning is in order for me!)

sandstone

Banned
jean baptiste morins book 23 on solar revolutions is brilliant.. anyone interested in knowing more would be hard pressed to find a better book on solar returns.. the solar return chart works in alignment with the natal chart and primary directions according to morin. it is a more complex topic requiring a strong understanding of the natal chart, with rulership themes one of the many factors rolled into a better understanding of sr's.

MaeMae

Banned
depends what your looking for.
it's either a time to shine in every step or to hide out and retreat, regroup.
are you trying to decide between different house systems?

fullmoonlibra

I believe it's a good thing to have. Lucky you!
I have Leo ascendant, and the last time my solar asc was Leo, was when I was a kid. It was in the 12th house. Don't remember..
I think solar asc in first house is better than 12th. Because in 12th you are not aware of the Leo energy. Or your inner life is going to get lots of attention, if you like this better, than I would say, the twelfth house. It's what you prefer the most
This year my solar asc is in Scorpio in natal 3rd house, conjunct natal Pluto in 3rd and with solar NN in solar first. I'm terrified :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Ixaee

depends what your looking for.
it's either a time to shine in every step or to hide out and retreat, regroup.
are you trying to decide between different house systems?

Hi MaeMae, no, I had the impression that ASC in 1st house would 'distort' your year in some way.... as per the information I had been reading from many different sources; such as http://www.astrologyonline.eu/Active_Astrology/Solar-Return/Ascendant-interpretation.asp?Casa=FIRST%20HOUSE

That's pretty cryptic, isnt it? He says there that it could show a bad accident, loss of power, scandal, mourning, etc..? :surprised:

(My grasp of astrology in general never equated 1st house activity to mourning, that's usually 12th/8th... but similar to Horary, Im still learning this branch of astrology so it wasnt clear to me if, in fact, this was such a bad placement or not!)

This year my solar asc is in Scorpio in natal 3rd house, conjunct natal Pluto in 3rd and with solar NN in solar first. I'm terrified :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whoa, that sounds like a powerful year!
And a very good year if you're a writer! :andy::biggrin:

Last edited:

fullmoonlibra

Hi MaeMae, no, I had the impression that ASC in 1st house would 'distort' your year in some way.... as per the information I had been reading from many different sources; such as http://www.astrologyonline.eu/Active_Astrology/Solar-Return/Ascendant-interpretation.asp?Casa=FIRST%20HOUSE

That's pretty cryptic, isnt it? He says there that it could show a bad accident, loss of power, scandal, mourning, etc..? :surprised:

(My grasp of astrology in general never equated 1st house activity to mourning, that's usually 12th/8th... but similar to Horary, Im still learning this branch of astrology so it wasnt clear to me if, in fact, this was such a bad placement or not!)

Whoa, that sounds like a powerful year!
And a very good year if you're a writer! :andy::biggrin:

Really?? I am!! But only columnist.. It's not satisfactory enough..

bittermoon

i have also read that the SR ASC in the natal 1st is a bad one, but that's also not my experience at all. one of the most transformational years of my life started off with SR ASC in 1st in aries, no less. and yes, it was very much about 'me' that year.

Ixaee

Really?? I am!! But only columnist.. It's not satisfactory enough..

With your NN in the 1st Solar & ASC in the 3rd (communication) in Scorpio, you could be transforming yourself as a writer... establishing a more powerful identity for yourself than you already have (NN in 1st/identity)... What do your S.R. 6th and 10th houses look like? It could possibly be a deepening or break, so-to-speak, in the realm of your writing.. :happy:

Last edited:

Ixaee

i have also read that the SR ASC in the natal 1st is a bad one, but that's also not my experience at all. one of the most transformational years of my life started off with SR ASC in 1st in aries, no less. and yes, it was very much about 'me' that year.

Thank you Bittermoon for your experience!!
Im starting to look forward to it now... :love:

fullmoonlibra

With your NN in the 1st Solar & ASC in the 3rd (communication) in Scorpio, you could be transforming yourself as a writer... establishing a more powerful identity for yourself than you already have (NN in 1st/identity)... What do your S.R. 6th and 10th houses look like? It could possibly be a deepening or break, so-to-speak, in the realm of your writing.. :happy:

Well.. I don't want to be rude and post my own chart here in your thread, so I've started my own thread, and my solar return chart is attached.
My solar MC is conjunct my ASC in Leo.. So it could be true that identity plays a role. AND Sun and Moon in the sixth house :joyful:! Again.. The identity as a 'writer', being in the sixth house.. You impressed me with your observation..

persephone5

I have always read having the solar return ascendant in your first is a very good thing! (or potential for. its apparently a "power year")

When you read vedic analysis are you using a sidereal chart or a tropical one? From what I have read, you need to use a sidereal chart for using vedic interpretation methods and a western tropical one for using western astrology. They are very different and the analysis is VERY different as well. There are usually different meanings and different placements as well.

Sommnium

In the last several years I had SR Asc in the natal 1st in two ocasions:
2005 - I started long professional collaboration that is still active and very important for me
2009 - I married and got a beautiful son
2013 - will see

Last edited:

Mist Knacker

Do a precessed version of your Solar Return chart.

To do this on astro.com, select Zodiac as Fagan-Bradley (Sidereal) and House System as Campanus.

On the chart, if you find Saturn within 6 degrees of either side of an angle or in an angular sector, and it is making hard aspects to other planets (e.g. square the Moon, opposite Neptune), then the year will be difficult regardless of the natal house the Solar Return ascendant falls into. Same applies with Mars, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.

If Jupiter or Venus are in an angular sector as well, then this will help. If they are both sitting in the background, then the challenge will be greater.

yelena234

If we look in common, 1st house is always more important and better than 12th house. It is the same, as planets are in the 1st or 12th (critical house).
Here again is other nuance: it is better to have well aspected planets in 12th, than hard aspected planets in the 1st.

I have this year SR ASC in 12th Natal house and there is explanation that I will feel lonely (not all the time), what is true (until now - more than two months later).

SR ASC is not the only one that is important in Solar Return. You should look aspects they are repeating, like in Natal Chart and more...

Also: I had the best time, when my SR ASC was in the 1st house.

B.