aspects and configurations...that make good writers

piscesascendant

Guess I'll chime in here. I have Mercury in Aquarius in the 12th. Gemini is on 3rd and fourth house cusp, Virgo on the descendant, Sagittarius on 9th and 10th house cusp. Jupiter in 1st house in Pisces, in mutual reception to Neptune in the 9th in Sagittarius. Mercury conjunct Moon in Aquarius, both of which trine Pluto in Libra in the 7th (intercepted) and sextile Neptune. Venus also conjunct Jupiter, on the 12th house side of the asc., but within 3 degrees of the asc, so it's in the 1st.

Once I am in the zone, I'm there for keeps. The rest of the world doesn't only cease to exist, it transforms over time into the new world I am creating.

piscesascendant

Now the thread can end because he already gave you the answer. I would like to add;

Mercury for writing skill
Neptune for creativity
Jupiter for luck in publishing

Interesting. Using astro.com, I looked up my dominant planets, and my three most dominant planets are (in order): Neptune--17%, Jupiter--13%, and Mercury--11%.

Maybe I'm on to something.

piscesascendant

Yes! You should write if you want to. However I did not mean dominant planets only I also look at exalted planets, mutual reception, double conjunctions, angular planets, the overall condition.

I wish I could write, my chart is good and my skill is good and other people have told me so but I am the most blocked person you have ever seen and it does not get better when I realize it, I would almost say it gets worse.

That's how dominant planets are calculated, by adding up which planets are exalted, engage in mutual reception, aspects, etc. The dominance of a planet is the sum of all of those considerations. It is the overall condition.

Pisces-Leo-Leo

Yes! You should write if you want to. However I did not mean dominant planets only I also look at exalted planets, mutual reception, double conjunctions, angular planets, the overall condition.

I wish I could write, my chart is good and my skill is good and other people have told me so but I am the most blocked person you have ever seen and it does not get better when I realize it, I would almost say it gets worse.

In what way are you "blocked"...too much saturn or something? :unsure:

I am curious?

Kenoshamaensa

Mercury RX can help writing, but because it may indicate some problem in other (verbal) forms of communication. For instance, I know one professional SF/F author with Mercury retro (and the usual Uranus and Neptune involvement I see with SF authors) ... but she's about 80% deaf! Writing became her communicative outlet.

I know another Mercury retro who writes because he stutters in person.

And yet another Mercury retro who talked late (as a baby) and then developed ADHD as a child, interfering with his ability to communicate effectively. He also had a horrible time spelling, although his writing *itself* (the letter forms) were always very good for his age.

So with Mercury RX, I usually poke a little further and see if there is some literal blockage or psychological issue that prevents or impedes verbal communication. In some (but not all) cases, the need to communicate goes "inward" and comes out in written form rather than verbal.

plumage

does anyone which aspects and configurations would make someone a talented writer?

I was born at the same time as Brett Easton Ellis the writer and I'm a writer too. There is some analysis on the web of his chart which is pretty interesting- at least it is for me.
Typically there are 3rd house/9th house placements.
Gemini, Virgo and Mercury aspects are good as these all rule communication.
Also aspects to the 5th house for general creativity are good
Jupiter or Venus just past midheaven or conjunct (according to Gaugelein is statistically common in writers). I have both.
More famous poets are Pisces than any other sign. (I am Pisces). More general writers are Taurus than any other sign according to a study done on famous people in Encyclopaedia Britannica (although of course there are plenty of writers from every sign).
In the end though if you just go ahead and write then you are a writer and nothing in your chart will say otherwise.
If you want to be a rich and famous writer though you will need the usual aspects for fame and money (of the earned income variety).

Cascada

I try to ask myself, every time I'm making my mind up about something major in my life, what is it that I need to do, not what I simply want to do. What is it that I feel compelled to do? Writing is very much one of those things- or at least communicating in general. This is particularly evident in me when I'm feeling very low- I need to have a pen in my hand to express what I'm feeling, or I find myself mentally creating stories out of my pain, or imagining how I would write it down effectively so that other people understood. I don't know if my chart suggests success in writing, or even if I'll ever take it seriously as a career, but I know it shows how I am definitely compelled to express myself with words and creativity. Here are some of the things I think supports my writing ability: Neptune/Uranus conjunction in the 5th, though generational, gives me a sense of drama when I'm being creative, and I think Neptune in the 5th gives me quite a creative imagination. Uranus gives me quick insight and inspiration when I'm writing (sometimes I feel like I should be carrying a notepad around with me everywhere because I have ideas coming to me out of the blue but go just as quickly). With Mercury in Scorpio, conjunct Mars and Pluto, I'm very passionate with how I communicate, and when I write there's usually a supernatural element or a sense of mystery or major plot twists or even whole transformations of characters. Mercury/Mars/Pluto are in the 4th. I don't really know how this plays out, but with 4th being the roots of who you are, I think Mercury in 4th would make me a deep thinker, someone who observes the outside world and absorbs it all, and seems to suggest that I have a lot going on in my head. My thoughts are fast and I seem to be always thinking. I suffer with insomnia because of it, and even whilst I'm dreaming my thoughts and wondering continue. Mercury and Neptune are my most highly aspected planets (and they sextile each other). Mercury sextile Uranus helps too, I think. My third house is somewhat strong- Sun (chart ruler) and Jupiter (5th house ruler) conjunct in Libra, placed in the 3rd, squaring my Neptune/Uranus (it seems really negative but I think there's a plus side to these squares, especially since my Sun/Jupiter trine my Saturn and that seems to give me a sense of reality, too). I have Venus in Virgo, sextile Pluto and trine Neptune/Uranus, in conjunction with my Moon who rules my 12th house. (Both Venus and Moon are placed in the 2nd).

vimpopovic

Can anyone tell me how can I calculate zodiac sign for norwegian cities? Or even better, if anyone can tell me what signs norwegian biggest cities have?

Flapjacks

First glance, my chart should read that I'd be writer. I've never wanted to write professionally, though. I have Aqua 10th house cusp, Uranus in Sagittarius in the 7th house, making very little aspects to personal planets.

My preferred outlet was visual art and drawing. I think there is a fine line there. Rx Leo Mercury conjunct Sun oppose Moon in 3rd/9th house axis, ruler of my 5th house and Venus in Virgo, Gemini ASC, makes for difficult communication of feelings, but a strong need to communicate creatively, and a good facility with words and written communication (though not foreign languages for some reason... Sag DC?). Yet I was more interested in stories communicated visually, such as illustrated books, animation and comics. I made stop-motion animation with clay figurines as a kid, and considered being a cartoonist for a while, even as an adult. I can come up with great stories but have difficulty writing them. I tried to write poetry, and I was encouraged to do it, but actually had very little interest in it. I can bust out some good poems once in a while... but no where near talented.

What is the difference there? What separates writing from other forms of communication? I'm wondering if Neptune must be involved somewhere (very lacking in my chart) for poetry, or if the Leo/5th house somehow overpowers the "writer" side for storytelling and communication. Venus conjunctions do seem to show up in people with great writing skills, but as far as identifying as a writer, is far more sketchy.

Posting my chart just for reference.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_anonymous.77507.14166.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_anonymous.77507.14166.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 34

ImNotThere9

I'm going to post my chart here, firstly because I think mine may be an unusual case, and secondly because any suggestions would be very welcome at this time. I turned twenty recently enough, and am working steadily towards publishing a collection of poems. As it is, I've published in numerous literary magazines and have delivered public readings of my work (a little wine always helps). I began writing in earnest around the age of sixteen or seventeen I think, and write for several hours every day, no matter how pressing other things may be that space is cleared. I recognized from an early age that poetry was my vocation, and I find myself a touch obsessive about realizing it and making the work as good as it should be. A slight needy perfectionism has to be contended with in the process.

Anyway, as I enter into my final year at University this September, I'm increasingly anxious about how writing can be practically gone about. I wonder about the indications of writing in my chart. Whether they're present as strongly as I want them to be or not, won't have any influence on my work ethic of course, but it would be an affirmation of sorts to find out.

Thanks,

INT.

Attachments

• my chart.jpg
    my chart.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 55

Kenoshamaensa

You have a lovely minor-grand trine between your Pisces Sun, Pluto for depth, and the Uranus-Neptune conjunction of the mid/late 90s at the apex. These all suggest that your fundamental self is hooked in to the largely social consciousness, which is good for a writer: to be able to speak to others, not just to the self, even while it may come from the self and highly personal experiences. Jupiter also makes a trine to Saturn, suggesting a good sense of balance between ambition and effort for mastery.

You also have a loose stellum in your 5th house, but it receives several challenging aspects from Pluto and Jupiter. These are squares, and to be honest, a chart NEEDS challening aspects, or you get nothing done. The Moon and Mercury in conjunction suggests an ability to verbalize emotion, squaring Pluto suggests being pushed to express it, but perhaps also sometimes coming into conflict with authority (especially female). My son also has a Moon-Pluto square, so I have some idea of how that can play out. If someone tells you "No," how do you respond? If there's an automatic instinctive kick-back, that's typical for this aspect. Depending on how you manage it, it can help you get through the inevitable rejections that come as part of a writing career (any type of writing career, not just fiction). It can either help you keep going or, in the negative expression, lead you to snap back and perhaps burn bridges, or walk away entirely. Just something to keep in mind.

Jupiter also squares the Moon-Mercury combo, which can be good, but may lead to exaggeration at times. Another thing to be aware of. Sometimes less is more. :-D Perhaps the most challenging aspect is the Mars-Saturn conjunction (Saturn can feel like a wet blanket on the bravery and incentive of Mars), squaring Pluto. In short, at times, you may become your own worst enemy, undermining your own efforts either by stifling yourself, or by occasional explosions of temper. Poetry may be one way to channel that energy in a positive way (as Pluto is part of that minor-grand trine).

Squares may present challenges, especially when younger, but are also very energizing, once we learn to handle them. We don't get much done in life without squares, in natal charts, in transits, and in progressions. :)

Krewster

Plumage, that Bret Easton Ellis writer has Merc/Mars novile Jup (providing the smarts and imagination to harnass all that Pluto oppo influence.

ImNotThere9

You have a lovely minor-grand trine between your Pisces Sun, Pluto for depth, and the Uranus-Neptune conjunction of the mid/late 90s at the apex. These all suggest that your fundamental self is hooked in to the largely social consciousness, which is good for a writer: to be able to speak to others, not just to the self, even while it may come from the self and highly personal experiences. Jupiter also makes a trine to Saturn, suggesting a good sense of balance between ambition and effort for mastery.

You also have a loose stellum in your 5th house, but it receives several challenging aspects from Pluto and Jupiter. These are squares, and to be honest, a chart NEEDS challening aspects, or you get nothing done. The Moon and Mercury in conjunction suggests an ability to verbalize emotion, squaring Pluto suggests being pushed to express it, but perhaps also sometimes coming into conflict with authority (especially female). My son also has a Moon-Pluto square, so I have some idea of how that can play out. If someone tells you "No," how do you respond? If there's an automatic instinctive kick-back, that's typical for this aspect. Depending on how you manage it, it can help you get through the inevitable rejections that come as part of a writing career (any type of writing career, not just fiction). It can either help you keep going or, in the negative expression, lead you to snap back and perhaps burn bridges, or walk away entirely. Just something to keep in mind.

Jupiter also squares the Moon-Mercury combo, which can be good, but may lead to exaggeration at times. Another thing to be aware of. Sometimes less is more. :-D Perhaps the most challenging aspect is the Mars-Saturn conjunction (Saturn can feel like a wet blanket on the bravery and incentive of Mars), squaring Pluto. In short, at times, you may become your own worst enemy, undermining your own efforts either by stifling yourself, or by occasional explosions of temper. Poetry may be one way to channel that energy in a positive way (as Pluto is part of that minor-grand trine).

Squares may present challenges, especially when younger, but are also very energizing, once we learn to handle them. We don't get much done in life without squares, in natal charts, in transits, and in progressions. :)

Keno,

thanks for responding so promptly. I hadn't realized that I had a minor grand trine, and discovered this and other like passages online:

"Minor Grand Trine
The Minor Grand Trine is a common aspect pattern. It occurs when one planet sextiles two planets that are in a trine aspect and forms a long red triangle. This favorable pattern is associated with creativity and intelligence. Depending on the planet that sextiles the other two, above average communications abilities may also be present. If you have a Minor Grand Trine in your chart, you can depend on being able to put your plans into action and achieve positive results. This pattern also highlights intuition and insight".

Well, that's heartening. I do feel the 'push' of those Pluto squares, in more ways than one, and it being the most heavily aspected planet in my chart it's certainly difficult not to see qualities in people, it's like being hyper-empathic. That comes with intensity of focus, seeing deeply, paranoia sometimes... One thing I do notice is that my communicative abilities can be highly erratic in person - one day I can be perfectly articulate, then it's like I'm aware of something about someone in my presence that I don't want to be, wires get crossed, and I struggle to be coherent. I used to pin this on my north node.

I can relate to your 'kick-back', for sure. I've been looking at my upcoming transits, and notice that Saturn will be entering my third house in a few months as Jupiter enters the eleventh. This looks to be favourable for writing.

Anyway I'll leave it there for now,

INT.

Krewster

ImNotThere9, your described focus on writing cries out for a clearer astro factor in the chart than I’m finding (though the conjunction to the Moon can be a classic IQ indicator).
But I don’t jump to Pluto squaring your personal planets to fill in the gap (because at such wide orbs, the influence is weak or non-existent, other than the 90 to your Mars).
Instead of Pluto squares, how about your “hyper-empathic” being best indicated by your Moon novile Ven and your intense focus by your 15 min tight orbed Sun semi-decile Uran.

ImNotThere9

Krewster,

hard to say, but since you're pointing to noviles and semi-deciles, my attention was drawn recently to a tredecile between Jupiter and Mars. This aspect is meant to confer a strong creative drive, and Mozart had this one. I can't say that I am au fait with them beyond this and a little that I've been told. All I know is that the focus is there, discipline isn't an issue. Apparently these tredeciles help to create opportunities for manifesting creativity. I wonder if writing is shown as a likely vocation in my chart? I know that the ruler of my MC is placed in the fifth house conjunct Mercury, which is a fair indication. But otherwise, like publication, I'm looking to the ninth house whose ruler Venus conjuncts DC in Aries, which in itself suggests almost nothing to me. Looking to the third house, the ruler Pluto is a few degrees back in the second, which is known to influence the voice (house of Taurus).

INT

Last edited:

Krewster

Thanks for getting me to pull up Wolfgang’s chart (from which I see he has more 5 and 10-denominatored aspects than Einstein and Mars, alone, enjoying four such aspects, including your mentioned Mars tri-decile Jup).
Wolfgang’s is four x tighter-orbed than yours but ?coincidentally? both of your aspects are triangulated by Uran (his into a 40 min-average-orbed 108-144-108 triangle while yours into a 30 min-average-orbed 72-108-36 triangle).
So (along with both of your chart’s Sun (semi)decile Uran), you guys enjoy natural/easy discipline/focus not for a Saturnian reason so much as because of the endlessly available windows of opportunity through which you are afforded access to jump.
My prior post did what I could on the subject of your writing (is the style dreamy oriented from your Merc’s 30 to Nept or a-social somehow from your Merc’s tri-undecile to Jup?).