Far from "blending"
the use of WHOLE SIGNS with any quadrant system
such as for example ALCABITIUS
is a way to DISTINGUISH BETWEEN :smile:
A planets CAPABILITY
and
A planets ABILITY TO ACT - aka angularity

as tsmall highlighted recently on another thread

Please correct me if I'm wrong, so you look at the condition of the sign-ruler, then use the quadrant system to look where the cusp falls to determine the capacity of that ruler? You can have an exalted sign-ruler but if the cusp-ruler is debilitated it's unable to act.

JUPITERASC

Please correct me if I'm wrong,
I'm no expert Jadi, I have an opinion, that's all
so you look at the condition of the sign-ruler,
WHOLE SIGN HOUSES may be used to determine TOPICS
so then
when investigating a TOPIC
check the condition of the sign ruler

the following is an example of a TOPICS WHEEL

astrological-houses-02.jpg

having determined the condition of the ruler of the sign of the particular TOPIC
i.e.
whether the ruler of the sign is Exalted, in Domicile, In Fall, Peregrine and so on

THEN

then use the quadrant system to look where the cusp falls to determine the capacity of that ruler?
check the location of the sign ruler of the topic in question

IF

the sign ruler is angular in BOTH whole signs AND the chosen quadrant system
THEN
the sign ruler has ABILITY TO ACT

BUT IF

the sign ruler is CADENT in BOTH whole signs AND the chosen quadrant system
THEN
the sign ruler lacks ABILITY TO ACT

Judgement based on the individual chart is exercised
when for example
the ruler of a particular TOPIC
is ANGULAR in WHOLE SIGNS
but CADENT in the chosen QUADRANT SYSTEM
You can have an exalted sign-ruler
but if the cusp-ruler is debilitated it's unable to act.
An Exalted sign ruler located in a Cadent House lacks ABILITY TO ACT

waybread

Anywhere I can learn more?

This is a monograph that explains the math behind the different systems: https://www.scribd.com/doc/6495552/An-Astrological-House-Formulary

The author, Michael Munkasey makes the point that the house system should describe the event being inquired about. I think he uses the example that if the situation is best described by the moon in the 8th house, then don't use a house system that puts it in the 7th or the 9th house.

Many horary astrologers prefer Regiomontanus houses. Alice Portman www.aliceportman.com has spent a lot of time looking at Britain's royal family, and feels that Regiomontanus works best for them.

Placidus and Koch are supposed to be best for timing, but then if you do not have an accurate birth or event time, they cannot give a more accurate read. If you don't have an accurate birth time but can narrow it down to just one rising sign, I would use whole signs; but not do calculations dependent upon an accurate AC or MC.

All house systems are troubled at high latitudes. Quadrant systems like Placidus can give really skewed charts with a few huge houses and the rest tiny. But then whole signs can put the MC in the 12th house.

tsmall

Premium Member
My posts were deleted! I do not mean to argue, but I posted and was talking with appleo and our discussion was deleted. My post was not off topic and was still deleted.

Duenderoja, i'm not arguing either. Moderators have the ability to see posts that have been deleted, whether by the member themselves or by a moderator. I checked the thread, then I checked your posts. As I said above, the last time any post of yours is recorded as being deleted was in July. Perhaps the conversation happened on another thread?

About deleted posts,
Tamara

tsmall

Premium Member
As I explained on the thread JUPITERASC linked, if all the house systems Placidus is based on temporal hours. As a traditional astrologer who spends the most time looking at horary questions, a quadrant system that brings the hour ruler into the chart makes sense to me.

Bunraku

Perfect for students. Although it is not a course
ITA is an invaluable reference and resource guide for students of all levels :smile:

whether working solo or taking a course, whether fully traditional
or a curious student of modern astrology.

It is suitable for Hellenistic, Medieval, Renaissance and 17th Century astrology alike. http://www.bendykes.com/ita.php
Preview the Table of Contents

It is so much more cheaper on his site, but so expensive on amazon. WHY :mad:

Oh but it is free with Kindle Unlimited. Forgot I had a free trial for that. LOVE IT!

Thanks babes xoxoxoxo. I’ll have a lot of reading to do tonight!

I’ll end up wanting a physical copy of it though, so I’ll probably have to buy it eventually.

tsmall

Premium Member
It is so much more cheaper on his site, but so expensive on amazon. WHY :mad:

Oh but it is free with Kindle Unlimited. Forgot I had a free trial for that. LOVE IT!

Thanks babes xoxoxoxo. I’ll have a lot of reading to do tonight!

I’ll end up wanting a physical copy of it though, so I’ll probably have to buy it eventually.

Well worth the investment. My copy is dog eared, wine stained, has notes in the margins...

waybread

Please correct me if I'm wrong, so you look at the condition of the sign-ruler, then use the quadrant system to look where the cusp falls to determine the capacity of that ruler? You can have an exalted sign-ruler but if the cusp-ruler is debilitated it's unable to act.

This really depends on whether you do modern western astrology, traditional western astrology, or some hybrid. In modern astrology angularity does not confer any particular strength: each house has a kind of stand-alone interpretation. None is particularly good or bad compared with the others.

In traditional western astrology and the horary astrology derived from it, the 1st and 10th houses are extra-strong; followed by their opposite houses. However, the 11th 9th, and 5th houses are also favorable. The "bad" houses are the 6th, 8th, and especially the 12th.

We do look at house cusp rulers in both systems. In modern western natal astrology, most of the traditional dignities and debilities are ignored. Each planet is seen as operating according to the nature of its sign and house, but not in a stronger or weaker way. The one exception I make as a modern astrologer is that I think domiciled planets, or planets in mutual reception, are extra strong.

The essential and accidental dignities and debilities are more important in horary astrology. It matters in many questions which party's significator is in a comparatively strong or weak position.

It's hard to say that planets are utterly helpless. But in traditional and horary astrology, there are definite strengths and weaknesses. In the latter cases, look also at whether aspects are applying and separating; and whether a planet (notably the moon,) has made its final aspect before changing signs.

waybread

Ah! A big red. No Scorpio or Pluto in the mix, I presume. Lately I'm into New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. It's the minerality. Not sure what this says about me, other than 3 of my Aqua planets progressing into Taurus. But after a glass or two, I don't care.

conspiracy theorist

Good **** everyone thanks.

@T or Jup - where in ITA can I find the passage that specifically covers a planets capability vs. ability to act?

@T I like sevenstarastrology because of how neat and effective he delineates charts.

tsmall

Premium Member
Ah! A big red. No Scorpio or Pluto in the mix, I presume. Lately I'm into New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. It's the minerality. Not sure what this says about me, other than 3 of my Aqua planets progressing into Taurus. But after a glass or two, I don't care.

At the risk of offending my most traditional friends, a grand trine in earth, with Sirius conjunct the MC?

JUPITERASC

Good **** everyone thanks.

@T or Jup - where in ITA can I find the passage that specifically covers a planets capability vs. ability to act?

@T I like sevenstarastrology because of how neat and effective he delineates charts.

tsmall has provided ITA specifics

in passing
dispositors make a difference

for example
as a past member mentions somewhere
a peregrine planet disposed of by a well dignified planet
may be better behaved :smile:
than one who is disposed of by a debilitated planet

however
generalisation is notoriously fun, yet unreliable
and so
specifics of individual natal charts require analytical study

waybread

At the risk of offending my most traditional friends, a grand trine in earth, with Sirius conjunct the MC?

Not I. Not even by progression.

For anyone looking for more info on traditional astrology without having to buy a (gasp, shock) book, the Skyscript website is full of information, including an entire tutorial on traditional horary astrology.

www.skyscript.co.uk