Most accurate house system to use for transits ?

Chrysalis

Has anyone used a specific house system for transits which produce good accuracy ?

Wholesigns i don't like to use for transits. Someones told me to use Campanus, which i'm currently testing out.

Can anyone suggest any other they've had success with ?

ElenaJ

Just a question, why would transits need a different house system from any other calculations you make? Just curious, it had never occurred to me.

Chrysalis

Different house systems are going to give you slightly different house cusps, so a planet conjunct the house cusp or moving into that house would obviously be the transit.

For example my sisters chart using campanus, her 12th house cusp starts at 17 degrees sagittarius, so venus just entered her 12th house by transit, 2 days ago.

Using placidus for her chart, her 12th house cusp is on the cusp of sagittarius/capricorn, which puts TR venus in her 11th house.

But at present her love life is very much 12th house related, she wants two guys, they are both already in r'ships and are not interested in her like she is them, if anything did happen with either one it would be a secret, she feels romantically lonely which makes her want something to happen with one of them even more.

Her venus at present is no way in the 11th house, so campanus seems to be more accurate with the transits...well in her chart anyway.

So i thought id ask if anyone else used a certain house system for transits, that they find to be more accurate than others.

JUPITERASC

Just a question, why would transits need a different house system
from any other calculations you make?
Just curious, it had never occurred to me.
Usually an astrologer chooses one of the twenty or thirty existing house systems
and uses their chosen house system not only for transits
but also for delineation of a natal chart

there are fourteen different house systems available on astro.com
Placidus is simply the default
it's a matter of individual preference

Different house systems are going to give you slightly different house cusps, so
a planet conjunct the house cusp
or moving into that house would obviously be the transit.
For example my sisters chart using campanus, her 12th house cusp starts at 17 degrees sagittarius, so
venus just entered her 12th house by transit, 2 days ago.
Using placidus for her chart, her 12th house cusp is on the cusp of sagittarius/capricorn,
which puts TR venus in her 11th house.
But at present her love life is very much 12th house related, she wants two guys,
they are both already in r'ships and are not interested in her like she is them,
if anything did happen with either one it would be a secret,
she feels romantically lonely which makes her want
something to happen with one of them even more.
Her venus at present is no way in the 11th house,
so campanus seems to be more accurate with the transits...
well in her chart anyway.
So i thought id ask if anyone else used a certain house system for transits,
that they find to be more accurate than others.
WHOLE SIGN HOUSES used with PROFECTIONS identifies key transits easily :smile:
however
each astrologer has their own preferred methods
some prefer Campanus
BobZemco uses Alcabitius
tsmall mostly uses Placidus
dr. farr uses WHOLE SIGNS
and in fact
dr. farr has practiced astrology for more than fifty years
and tells us how he used Placidus for several decades
before switched to Whole Signs

dr. farr has made the following helpful comment explaining
THE ORIGINAL MEANING OF THE WORD CUSP :smile:
i.e.

Cusps:

Today (and for the past thousand years or so)
we define cusps as "borders" (coasts),

but that is not the original meaning of the word "cusp":
it means "point"
such as cuspal teeth (bicuspids) and the point of a sword

- so originally the term cusp meant the "point" of something, and in astrology originally the "cusp" of the house meant its "point";

now, when quadrant systems were developed, this "point" of the house came to mean its "beginning", which later came to mean its "border", ie, the "border" between one house and the other.

And later astrology also began using these "borders" (cusps) for various prognostic applications (Charles Carter came to believe that, for timing of events, the "cusps" of the Campanus house system gave the best results, among the various quadrant house systems)

But now notice this: in whole sign the cusps are NOT the 0 degree "borders" of sign/houses at all, and never were so regarded!

In whole sign, the "cusp" retained its original meaning, not as a "border" but rather as A POINT

-and that POINT (cusp) for EACH house, was the sensitive point of that house, viz, the sensitive point in whole sign houses-each house-that is the "cusp" of each house-is a direct projection from the ascending degree.

Example:

-the ascending degree of a chart is 18 Taurus:
what are the house cusps
(sensitive points, original meaning of the word "cusp")
in the whole sign houses of this chart?

Cusp of 1st house = 18 Taurus
Cusp of 2nd house = 18 Gemini
Cusp of 3rd house = 18 Cancer
Cusp of 4th house = 18 Leo
Cusp of 5th house = 18 Virgo
Cusp of 6th house = 18 Libra
Cusp of 7th house = 18 Scorpio
Cusp of 8th house = 18 Sagittarius
Cusp of 9th house = 18 Capricorn
Cusp of 10th house = 18 Aquarius
Cusp of 11th house = 18 Pisces
Cusp of 12th house = 18 Aries

Now it is these "cusps" (sensitive degrees, original meaning of the word "cusp" as a "point") that are (and were) used for progressions, timing of events, etc, and the fact is that they work for these purposes, quite well (in expert hands)

Whole sign does not use the BORDERS between houses (always 0 degree of any sign) for anything, but it DOES use "cusps" (points in the house, projected from the exact ascending degree) for timing (and other) delineative purposes.

Whole sign suddenly vanished (both in the West and in Vedic astrology) during the same period of time-ie, late 8th to early 9th century - this sudden disappearance suggests a sudden turn in astrological thinking and practices, rather than a gradual supplanting of a less effective traditional method (whole sign) by a new and more effective method (rheotrius/alchabitius in the West, and the closely related to whole sign Equal house, in Vedic astrology)

For me, there is only 1 reason I switched to whole sign-it worked better (FOR ME)

I could care less if it were the oldest house system (which it is) or whether it was invented by Badda Bing at Barney's Beanery in Bayonne, 10 years ago: only things I consider are:
-does it seem to make sense?
-does it "taste good" to me (ie, does it "feel right" to me)
-and, if yes to the above, does it work (producing delineations and predicitions) better than what I have previously been doing?

Well, whole sign did all that, for me, so I switched;
but I am not going to try to convince anyone of anything about it, except for beginners-to you who might just be starting out, I would say: try whole sign first, and see how well it might work for you...

Chrysalis

I don't like using wholesigns for transits, as like you've stated, each cusp/point starts at the same degree, for me it just doesn't feel right for a transit.

"For me, there is only 1 reason I switched to whole sign-it worked better (FOR ME)

I could care less if it were the oldest house system (which it is) or whether it was invented by Badda Bing at Barney's Beanery in Bayonne, 10 years ago: only things I consider are:
-and, if yes to the above, does it work (producing delineations and predicitions) better than what I have previously been doing?"

And Bobs exactly right, its what works for yourself, which is why i am at present, experimenting with campinus and seeing how the transits play out, i may try a different one in the next month or two, and see how that one compares.....and i'll keep on going, until i find "the one" that works for me personally.

What is your preferred house system to use for transits Jup ?

Tandy

Banned
I don't know how all the house systems work - Ialways use the tried and true ones that I learned - equal or placidus or regiomontanous. But I always look at any cusp and any planet within 10 degrees of the cusp and then try to read between the lines.

It seems those charts from down in Australia or Chile don't have as much as a problem because they have house sizes as big as Texas.

Sometimes I think dividing a chart into angles and looking at the transits running through them - and planets contained, tells more about themes in life than actual events.

If you think about it - a 4th 5th 6th 7th cluster of transits means home family fun and obligations to others will take precedence. Not a time to demand being "you" as much as a cluster of transits between 1st and 4th.

Every dog has its day - or season.

JUPITERASC

I don't like using wholesigns for transits, as like you've stated, each cusp/point starts at the same degree, for me it just doesn't feel right for a transit.

"For me, there is only 1 reason I switched to whole sign-it worked better (FOR ME)

-and, if yes to the above, does it work (producing delineations and predicitions) better than what I have previously been doing?"

And Bobs exactly right, its what works for yourself, which is why i am at present, experimenting with campinus and seeing how the transits play out, i may try a different one in the next month or two, and see how that one compares.....and i'll keep on going, until i find "the one" that works for me personally.

What is your preferred house system to use for transits Jup ?
WHOLE SIGN with PROFECTION :smile:

Chrysalis

So am i understanding this correctly ?

With regards to whole signs/profections, in my chart venus is my annual profection ruler using whole signs, so i then take note of any transits that go specifically to venus during that year ?

Do you take note of where venus is in your progressed chart too ?

JUPITERASC

So am i understanding this correctly ?
With regards to whole signs/profections, in my chart venus is my annual profection ruler using whole signs,
so i then take note of any transits that go specifically to venus during that year ?

Do you take note of where venus is in your progressed chart too ?
I use a number of Time Lord techniques
including Profection
to fine tune for events :smile:
based on the natal promise

one of our members kaktuzz generously offers

FREE NATAL ASTROLOGY CALCULATION
that includes profection charts at https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/

I use DELPHIC ORACLE SOFTWARE
http://www.astrology-x-files.com/delphicoracle-download.html

as well as

Babylonian Astrologer Rumen Kolevs PORPHYRIUS MAGUS software http://www.babylonianastrology.com/...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=33&vmcchk=1&Itemid=33

The Following Profection Wheel illustrates
that
A FIRST HOUSE PROFECTION YEAR is experienced EVERY TWELVE YEARS

LIKEWISE EACH HOUSE IS PROFECTED TO THE ASCENDANT EVERY TWELVE YEARS
IN THE ORDER OF SIGNS

The numbers on the outer wheel
are the numbers of the natal houses
all the other numbers are the ages of a person for each Profected year :smile:

i.e.
A FIRST HOUSE PROFECTION YEAR COMMENCES
at the age of zero (i.e. for the year COMMENCING AT BIRTH),
twelve, twenty-four, thirty-six, forty-eight
sixty, seventy-two, eighty-four

A SECOND HOUSE PROFECTION YEAR begins EVERY TWELVE YEARS
i.e.
at the ages of one, thirteen, twenty-five, thirty-seven, forty-nine,sixty-one, seventy-three, eighty-five

and so on around the PROFECTION WHEEL

and then
to easily find which ANNUAL PROFECTION you are experincing
find the number relevant to your current age
and note which house has your current chronological age number
and that house
using WHOLE SIGN HOUSES
is the Ascendant sign of your current ANNUAL PROFECTION
and the ruler of that Annually Profected Sign is Lord of the Year aka LOY

ProfectionWheel.jpg

the following previous dialogue on issue raised ia helpful
Just note that a planet or planets in the profected sign will be the year rulers.
If you have nothing in Gemini and Gemini is the profected ascendant,

then Mercury is lord of the year.
If, however, Venus is in Gemini natally,
then Venus will be lady of the year, displacing Mercury.
And so forth.

BUT
IN CONTRAST

petosiris responded on another thread to Oddity
by providing the following extensive clarification
''before all, it is necessary to investigate the lord of the year and its mixture and position and phase, and the planets that see it by fixity and by transit, and how it was situated at the nativity, and how it was found at the time of the transit.'' - Hephaistio of Thebes, Apotelesmatics Book II Schmidt translation p. 81

There is a bit of difference from author to author on how to use Annual Profections.
Everyone agrees that the ruler of the sign using the above mentioned diagram is ''Lord of the Year''.
What Oddity alludes to
is an approach in Valens
and some authors
of activated planets taking over the Lord of the Year in the given sign,
even transiting ones in Valens.
''If one of the stars in transit has entered this place, then it will be transmitting the chronocratorship.''

Dorotheus does not change Rulers, and combines annual profection with a solar revolution as a transiting chart to evaluate its strength over the year.
Note that Valens is somewhat innovating with Profections
as he walks every single thing in the chart
- all planets, places and lots.
Personally I do not like that approach at all.
I look at the planets in the activated signs as more powerful, but
not as Time Lords.
Also I do not profect anything but the Hour-Marker.
I've also noticed Lord of the Year transits
as well as transits over the whole year through the activated places as powerful as well.
Notice how all Hellenistic astrologers
suddenly start talking about transits when using profections.
This seems to originate from the founder of yearly and monthly profections
- King Nechepso who provided some delineations, quoted by Valens:

''The native obtains great advancement if the star of Jupiter, while being chronocrator, is at MC or in the Place of Accomplishment with the star of Mars. When Jupiter and Mars are providing the active impulse, it will be necessary to see if the star of Saturn is coming into a transit or opposition, with the result that the chronocratorship of occupations becomes contrary. If <Mercury> is favorably situated at the nativity, the native will engage in greater activities, proportionate to the distinction of the nativity - for this is changed to that and that is changed to this by differences in the hours of birth...'' - Valens Book VII p. 137 Riley

I think the reason Valens and others changed the original idea, is
that they started looking at profections as in terms of places,

while
I believe the original approach was to look at the Ruler of the Sign.
The technique originally was to establish the Lord of the Year,

not the house of the year.
Notice Nechepso's monthly profection:

''The King had this opinion about the operative month: determine the distance from the sun’s current position to the moon’s position at birth, then count that distance from the Ascendant. It will be necessary to examine the ruler of the sign where the count stops to see if it is in operative signs, and to make a judgement about the stars in conjunction or in aspect, whether benefic or malefic. (For day births, determine the distance from the moon’s current position to the sun’s position at birth; count that from the Ascendant'' - Valens, p. 97 Riley

It emphasizes the Ruler, not the place of the profection.
That is how I use profections.
In my opinion annual profections can be separated into two categories of Lord of the Year and Ruling Place approaches.
I believe Paulus follows Nechepso.

Horus

Has anyone used a specific house system for transits which produce good accuracy ?

Wholesigns i don't like to use for transits. Someones told me to use Campanus, which i'm currently testing out.

Can anyone suggest any other they've had success with ?

Placidus has been the most accurate for me and my clients. :biggrin:

Lin

I've only used Placidus for my whole career as a student, astrologer, teacher....and it has always been accurate....or rather, It has helped ME to be accurate.

HOwever: I am sure that if I had always used another system I would have become just as comfortable with IT and It would have helped me to be as accurate! I use the system with which I was taught. It's very common and specific. But as I have said many times, your life, your truth, your authenticity does not change with a particular astrological (metaphorical) system one uses.:love:
LIN