Jung and Astrology

miquar

Hi Senecar. I just noticed that there are two discussions about Jung and astrology on Chris Brennan's 'The Astrology Podcast'. I haven't listened to them so I can't vouch for them, but you may be interested in listening.

Best wishes

Miquar

Senecar

Hi Senecar. I just noticed that there are two discussions about Jung and astrology on Chris Brennan's 'The Astrology Podcast'. I haven't listened to them so I can't vouch for them, but you may be interested in listening.

Best wishes

Miquar

Yup, it looks great. Seems there are a few great podcasts there on the topic.

Thanks for your info.

miquar

No worries. I also noticed last night in the new AAGB journal that Liz Greene has just brought out two books on Jung and astrology, and there was another book mentioned called 'Jung and Astrology' by Maggie Hyde.

Best wishes

Miquar

IleneK

Premium Member
This is the best book I ever read on psychological astrology. It is makes the chart coherent from that viewpoint. I highly recommend it also!

conspiracy theorist

Some time ago I made some notations of where Jung mentions astrology in his researches. Here are some of what he has to say regarding the matter, note that a lot of it is philosophical and not a practical exhortation of how he used astrology:

" In the metaphorical descriptions of the alchemists, Luna is primarily a reflection of a man's unconscious femininity, but she is also the principle of the feminine psyche, in the sense that Sol is the principle of a man's. This is particularly obvious in the astrological interpretation of sun and moon, not to mention the age-old assumptions of mythology. Alchemy is inconceivable without the influence of her elder sister Astrology, and the statements of these three disciplines must be taken into account in any psychological evaluation of the luminaries."

"Just as the anima represents and personifies and the collective unconscious, so Luna represents the six planets or spirits of the metals. Dorn says:

From Saturn, Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Venus nothing and no other metal can arise except Luna [i.e silver]... For Luna consists of the six spiritual metals and their powers, of which each has two... From the planet Mercury, from Aquarius and Gemini, or from Aquarius and Pisces, Luna has her liquidity [liquatio] and her white brightness..., from Jupiter, Sagittarius and Taurus her white colour and her stability in the fire..., from Mars, Cancer and Aries her hardness and fine resonance..., from Venus, Gemini and Libra her degree of solidity [coagulationis] and malleability..., from Sol, Leo and Virgo her true purity and great endurance against the strength of the fire..., from Saturn, Virgo and Scorpio, or from Capricorn, her homogeneous body, her pure cleanness , and steadfastness against the force of the fire."

"Besides the connection between Luna and intellect we must also consider their relation to Mercurius, for in astrology and mythology Mercurius is the divine factor that has the most to do with Epinoia."

"According to Pico, Luna "has an affinity with Venus, as is particularly to be seen from the fact that she is sublimated in Taurus, the house of Venus, so much that she nowhere else appears more auspicious and more beneficent."

"Taurus is the house of the hierogamy of Sol and Luna"

"...These correlations show how Penotus was struck by the underworld nature of the moon -- The moon also has a relation to Saturn, the astrological maleficus. In the "Dicta Bellini" Saturn is, as it were, the "father-mother" of the moon" I am the light of all things that are more and I cause the moon to appear openly from within my father Saturn, even from the pregnant mother who is at enmity with me."

" ('Allegoriae sapientum, "Theatr. chem., V, p.97) Saturn plays the role of Typhon: dismemberment"

"... A notable innovation of is the appearance of two crabs in the lower , cthonic hemisphere that also represents the body. The crab has essentially the same meaning as the astrological sign Cancer. Unfortunately Miss X gave no content here. In such cases it is usually worth investigating what use has been made in the past of the object in question. In earlier, pre-scientific ages hardly any distinction was drawn between long-tailed crabs (Macrura, crayfish) and short-tailed crabs (Brachyura). As a zodiacal sign Cancer signifies resurrection , because the crab sheds its shell. The ancients had in mind chiefly Pagurus bernhardus, the hermit crab. It hides in its shell and cannot be attacked. Therefore it signifies caution and foresight, knowledge of coming events . It "depends on the moon, and waxes with it." It is worth noting that the crab appears just in the mandala in which we see the phases of the moon for the first time. Axtrologically, Cancer is the house of the moon. Because of its backwards and sideways movement, it plays the role of an unlucky animal in superstition and colloquial speech ("crabbed", "catch a crab", etc). Since ancient times cancer has been the name for a malignant tumour of the glands. Cancer is the zodiacal sign in which the sun begins to retreat, when the days grow shorter. Pseudo-Kallisthenes relates that crabs dragged Alexander's ships down into the sea. "Karkinos" was the name of the crab that bit Heracles in the foot in his fight with the Lernaean monster. In gratitude,, Hera set her accomplice among the stars."

"... In astrology, Cancer is a feminine and watery sign, and the summer solstice takes the place in it. In the melothesiae it is correlated with the breast. It rules over the western sea...

...Miss X was born in the first degrees of Cancer (actually about the 3rd degree). She knew her horoscope and was well aware of the significance of the moment of birth; that is, she realized that the degree of the rising sign(the ascendant) conditions the individuality of the horoscope. Since she obviously guessed the horscope's affinity with the mandala, she introduced her individual sign into the painting that was meant to express her psychic self"

More on the connection between mandala symbology and the horoscope, which seems to have had an influence on how modern astrology looks at the natal wheel:

"The totality appears in quaternity form only when it is not yet unconscious fact but a conscious and differentiated totality; for instance when the horizon is thought not simply as a circle that can be divided into any number of parts but as consisting of four clearly defined points. Accrodingly, one's given personality could be represented by a continuous circle, whereas the conscious personality would be a circle divided up in a definite way, and this generally turns out to be a quaternity."

"It must, however, be stressed that what we today call the schema of functions is archetypally prefigured by one of the oldest patterns of order known to man, namely the quaternity, which always represents a consciously reflected and differentiated totality." Quite apart from its almost universal incidence, it also appears spontaneously in dreams as an expression of the total personality."

"
Figure 10​

In this painting, done by another young woman patient, we see at the cardinal points four creatures: a bird, a sheep, a snake and a lion with a human face. Together with the four colours in which the four regions are painted, they embody four principles. The interior of the mnadala is empty. Or rather, it contains a "Nothing" that is expressed by a quaternity. This is in accord with the overwhelming majority of individual mandalas" as a rule teh centre contains motifs of the rotundum, known to us from alchemy, or the four-fold emanation or the squaring of the circle, or- more rarely - the figure of the patient in a universal human sense, representing the Anthropos. We find this motif, too, in alchemy. The four animals remind us of the cherubim in Ezekiel's vision, and also of the four symbols of the evangelists and the four sons of Horus, which are sometimes depicted in the same way, three with animal heads and one with a human head (and the fixed cross - my note). Animals generally signify the instinctive forces of the unconscious, which are brought into unity within the mandala. This integration of the instincts is a prerequisite for individuation."

He also has a chapter on astrology in his work on synchronicity, which I haven't investigated yet.