Why aren't there any birds among the signs?

Pallas-trine-Mars

I associate Libra with Astraea. It really gets rid of the "Lazy Libra" thing. The Air triplicity is the only triplicity to have no animals in it.
Wrong, humans are animals and there are 3 depicted: Aquarius, usually a man and two young human twins in Gemini. I think the literal myth of Astraea was that she got so offended by human nature she went back to Heaven as the constellation Virgo holding her scales.

There are also not really any reptiles, though Scorpio can also be associated with the snake, and I've also heard a lizard. Astrotheme associates Libra with a lizard.

Rebel Uranian

Humans are animals, but they weren't to the people who invented the Zodiac.

Why would Libra be a lizard? Because they both start with L?

By the way, my Sun is conjunct Altair in Aquila. Scorpio would probably be the second most influential constellation (not sign) after Aquila unless Scorpio has more influence. The natures of the stars are too similar, never mind the symbolic depiction.

Last edited:

Love2Know

I call my bf a lizard and he is a scorpio lolllllllllllll I get called an otter/ bear. Cancer should be a water otter so cute.

Pallas-trine-Mars

Why would Libra be a lizard?
I actually kind of agree (although perhaps astrotheme means a chameleon, which I've also seen associated with Libra, seeing as it's largely translated from French). Lizards are kind of patient, slow moving, they seem to consider everything they do before they do it, which would relate I guess to Libra's sense of diplomacy, tact and usual aversion to conflict.

Rebel Uranian

and usual aversion to conflict.

Libras looove conflict. They just prefer strategic conflict to tactical conflict. Negotiation is a type of conflict too. We also all know that relationships = conflict. All is fair in love and war. The 7th house of partnerships and open enemies. A married couple arguing. You get the idea.

although perhaps astrotheme means a chameleon, which I've also seen associated with Libra, seeing as it's largely translated from French

Associating something with a chameleon is quite different from associating something with a lizard.

piercethevale

Actually the true and original symbol for Aquarius is a Angel... and the Angel is pouring down 'succor' from Heaven.
If you'll read my "Runic Explanation of the Zodiac" in the 'Other Astrology' forum,
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13700
you'll find out why the sign is called 'the Water Bearer", as I give an explanation for this.
Birds are much represented by the 360 degrees of the Zodiac in the Sabian Symbols. Dane Rudhyar says that in symbolism birds represent spiritual forces [sometimes entities] and the Magpie is most special in symbolism.
The distinctive combination of its' colouring of black and white represents a true 'Magi', a true sorcerer [...hmmmm..., 'Magipie'?] that can walk the 'Razors Edge'..that fine line of distinction between the 'Black' and the 'White';
...btw, the other members mention of Scorpio also being the symbol of an Eagle is quite correct as to every thing I have ever read about the Sign.
The Eagle represents the 'Spiritually evolved' Scorpio. One that has mastered their desires [Scorpios' key phrase is: 'I Desire".]

Last edited:

rahu

Banned
scorpio is alone among the signs in that it has three symbol,indicative of the scorpionic evolution.
the base scorp is symbolized by the scorpion,
the fulfilled scorp is symbolized by the eagle
the evolved scorp is symbolized by the dove/angel

rahu

piercethevale

scorpio is alone among the signs in that it has three symbol,indicative of the scorpionic evolution.

rahu

May I ask what source for the Dove/Angel ?
As I have a Scorp. Asc. I am most curious

The eagle is associated with Scorpio. And the sign Libra is scales representing the Egyptian goddess Maat who wears a feather, which she puts on one side of the scales to weigh the heart.

Flapjacks

star.jpg

Check out the little birdy back there. Ibis is supposed to be associated with Mercury/Hermes; from the Egyptian god Thoth.

Phoenix Venus

The sabian symbols divide the zodiac into incriments of one symbol for each of the 360 degrees. there are lots of symbols dealing with birds.

Here are some that come to mind. (Shortened versions from Dane Rudhyar's "An Astrological Mandala")

Gemini 23:

"THREE FLEDGLINGS IN A NEST HIGH IN A TREE.

KEYNOTE: The growth of spiritually creative processes in an at least relatively integrated mind."

Cancer 18:

"A HEN SCRATCHING THE GROUND TO FIND NOURISHMENT FOR HER PROGENY.

KEYNOTE: The practical concern with everyday nourishment necessary to sustain one's outreaching activities."

Leo 21:

"INTOXICATED CHICKENS DIZZILY FLAP THEIR WINGS TRYING TO FLY.

KEYNOTE: The often-negative and at times ludicrous first experience with spiritual teachings."

Leo 22:

"A CARRIER PIGEON FULFILLING ITS MISSION.

KEYNOTE: Spirituality, in terms of training for service to mankind."

Libra 26:

"AN EAGLE AND A LARGE WHITE DOVE CHANGE TO EACH OTHER.

EYNOTE: The interaction of the spiritual Will and of the Love principle when critical needs arise."

Sag 12:

"A FLAG TURNS INTO AN EAGLE; THE EAGLE INTO A CHANTICLEER SALUTING THE DAWN.

KEYNOTE: The spiritualization and promotion of great symbols of a New Age by minds sensitive to its precursory manifestations."

Sag 24:

"A BLUEBIRD PERCHED ON THE GATE OF A COTTAGE.

KEYNOTE: The reward which meets every effort at integrating into a social environment for those who remain true to their own selves."

Capricorn 10:

"AN ALBATROSS FEEDING FROM THE HAND OF A SAILOR.

KEYNOTE: The overcoming of fear and its rewards."

Aqua 20:

"A LARGE WHITE DOVE BEARING A MESSAGE.

KEYNOTE: The answer of spiritual agencies to thorough, sustained and victorious individual efforts."

There are plenty of other animals in the set of symbols as well, for instance virgo 16 has an orangutang and scorpio 23 has a rabbit.. etc.

to read the symbols in full go here: http://www.mindfire.ca/An Astrological Mandala/An Astrological Mandala - Contents.htm

Because the symbols read from 1-30 rather than 0-29, make sure to read the symbol for the next degree up. for instance a planet at 0.23 aries should be read as 1 aries, 1.07 as 2 aries, etc.

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

rahu

The way i always knew it to be was:

1. The material bound scorpio- scorpion (close to the ground and responds with fear... stinger)
2. The spiritually driven scorpio - phoenix (rebirth, renewal of spirit.. cleansing & rising above the ashes of past karma)
3. The spiritually sustained scorpio - eagle (soaring above everyday existence)

Love2Know

The way i always knew it to be was:

1. The material bound scorpio- scorpion (close to the ground and responds with fear... stinger)
2. The spiritually driven scorpio - phoenix (rebirth, renewal of spirit.. cleansing & rising above the ashes of past karma)
3. The spiritually sustained scorpio - eagle (soaring above everyday existence)

Phoenix would be the last stage

quiet659

I have been wondering why none of the twelve zodiac signs are birds? There are water creatures, mammals, humans and dead objects but no birds? i don't get it, it's like a very important symbolic part of the world has been left out. i know that the Scorpio also is referred to as the Eagle if it's a highly developed scorpio, but still...Why do you think no birds are represented?

I really don't think it matters. Different cultures used different animals in order to describe the primal energy used to represent these signs. So one culture might used a crab to represent cancer, but another culture might actually prefer a hermit. Maybe in other cultures they do have birds. All the animals in the zodiac represents primal energy that a normal human being can not readily achieve. Aquarius, Virgo and I think Gemini represent humanity specifically. Libra is an inanimate object meaning that it is a sign that reflects society or it's environment. Pisces can relate to humans and animals

athenian200

Well, I think it's because people would complain that the universe was "giving them the bird" if they had one in the signs. xD

Or, maybe they just thought bird signs were "for the birds." Hehe.