What is an astrological planet?

david starling

You've actually changed my personal view of what the Hellenistic, tropical Age of Sagittarius was like. I wasn't considering the physical nature of the Sign qualities. Makes sense that it would be attuned to changes in light and weather. I was only considering its visionary abilities on the non-physical level. Philosophy fits it though, along with prophecy.

david starling

The ancient Greeks knew the Moon ruled the tides. Then, it was somehow forgotten, and Johan Kepler rediscovered it. Aristarchus envisioned a Heliocentric model, but the credit is given to Copernicus. Remarkable abilities in the Age of Sagittarius! Including that of developing astrology into a coherent system. Very likely it was physically, rather than pyschically based.

The steam-engine was known, but not used to perform actual work, such as propelling a ship, or grinding grains. It was used for teaching physics in Alexandria. The lens was invented, but not employed as means to magnify the celestial objects, as far as is known. A lot of physical theories on optics, in the Middle East, India, and Greece.

JUPITERASC

This definition of planet from the International Astrological Union may be of interest:

"(1) A planet [1] is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit."

Nothing naked-eye about it. Magnitude is irrelevant. The IAU definition differentiates planets from asteroids, comets, and assorted space junk. The IAU definition is largely based upon a planet's gravitational properties. Which is how planets in the 18th century onwards were predicted, because the orbit of a known planet made sense only if a further-out planet exerted a gravitational pull.

Note that mathematical modeling of orbits was worked on prior to the development of modern astrology. (Gauss, 1777-1855, on the "rediscovery" of Ceres.)

Galileo actually observed Neptune through a telescope in 1613, but did not recognize it as a planet, probably due to Neptune's slow orbital period of 165 years.

Just now, both astronomers and astrologers are working out the dwarf planet thing, which was an issue only around 2006 when the IAU voted on a separate dwarf planet category. Pluto clearly operates as an astrological planet in modern astrology, independently of how scientists classify it.

So in a horoscope, what does a planet do? Any planet Does it describe a big area of human life? Can we use it reliably in predictive work? How does it fare as a house cusp ruler (lord)?
so then :smile:
What is your definition of an astrological planet that includes Pluto

but excludes Ceres, Eris
and other dwarf planets?

petosiris

Banned
You've actually changed my personal view of what the Hellenistic, tropical Age of Sagittarius was like. I wasn't considering the physical nature of the Sign qualities. Makes sense that it would be attuned to changes in light and weather. I was only considering its visionary abilities on the non-physical level. Philosophy fits it though, along with prophecy.

Most forms of astrology today (whether modern or traditional) are missing that ancient, holistic and spiritual worldview that is attuned to nature. :smile:

CapAquaPis

Ceres is an asteroid, but looking at the images of it, Ceres is a round and orb-shaped one. Would one consider them in a form of planet or a planetoid? It's representative of women in one's life, along with the Moon and planet Venus, also the dwarf planet Eris which is farther away in orbit than and larger than Pluto. Currently, Ceres in direct, goes to retrograde (Jul 3) and direct (Oct 18).

Whenever Ceres is in Aquarius in my life, I usually have a girlfriend or involved in a relationship. Ceres was in Aquarius (Nov 2019-back to Pisces in Dec, and Jan 30-Apr 23, 2020, briefly in May 12-30, 2020), it's in a transit in Pisces and will be in opposition to the sun (4' Pisces vs sun in 4' Virgo) on Aug 28-29th this year, then reenters Aquarius on Sep 29th and once more in Pisces on Nov 9th.

Would Ceres' constant movement in and out of Pisces affect my relationship with my current GF? And in retrograde in Jul-Aug, then is direct in Sep-Oct.? Then the opposition to the sun in a sign Virgo, the sign of the woman/maiden/virgin.