Should I re-sit my practical driving test this year after two failed attempts?

LostinPhilly

Hi all,

The journey to getting my driving test has been a hassle to say the least. I passed my theory test in 2018 and started the manual driving lessons right away. I unfortunately came across really unscrupulous driving schools which were more interested in getting me to book more lessons than actually helping me pass the practical test. I spent about €6K in lessons as I don't have anyone to drive with and was solely relying on these lessons.

I ended up failing the test twice in 2019 (the second time was an utter disaster as the instructor's car was not up to standard and he increased the car rental price on the spot right before my test). 2020 was a dead-end due to COVID, no driving lessons available.

Things are starting to open up again and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to sit the test again towards the end of 2021 or leave it to 2022. I'm planning on moving forward with automatic instead and change test centers.

I really would love to get my driving license and close this chapter as I don't want all this money spent and efforts to go down the drain. I feel a bit hopeless and feel as though I will never get this license. It's frustrating me as I'm 30 and I still don't have my full license.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

astro-2gw-practical-driving-test-hr-50096-57584.png

IleneK

Premium Member
Here's my quick take. We can see your/Venus' interest in taking the governmental physical driving examination/10th which ruled by Moon. Moon and Venus do not aspect, so this looks like a no to me at this time. Moon's next aspect is a trine to Merc, which makes me think you need to put in some more practice of driving before you take the exam.

LostinPhilly

Here's my quick take. We can see your/Venus' interest in taking the governmental physical driving examination/10th which ruled by Moon. Moon and Venus do not aspect, so this looks like a no to me at this time. Moon's next aspect is a trine to Merc, which makes me think you need to put in some more practice of driving before you take the exam.

Thank you Ilene. I religiously took about 4 hours of lessons per week for about a year and a half until it got halted by COVID in early 2020. I spent a lot of money on this already (upwards of 6K). It's been a particularly financially draining process.

I've never driven an automatic and am planning on taking additional lessons between now and the end of the year. I suppose my question was more routed towards the end result for this year once I've taken the appropriate automatic lessons. I haven't booked a test yet, so I was wondering whether to book it for the end of the year or next year.

I guess I will never pass this exam - sigh.

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Thank you Ilene. I religiously took about 4 hours of lessons per week for about a year and a half until it got halted by COVID in early 2020. I spent a lot of money on this already (upwards of 6K). It's been a particularly financially draining process.

I've never driven an automatic and am planning on taking additional lessons between now and the end of the year. I suppose my question was more routed towards the end result for this year once I've taken the appropriate automatic lessons. I haven't booked a test yet, so I was wondering whether to book it for the end of the year or next year.

I guess I will never pass this exam - sigh.

I think you can pass it. The question is when. This chart says not in the time frame you had in mind, so not this year.

Are you able to just practice driving with your beginner's license and with a licensed driver, who might be friend or acquaintance? The feeling I get is you just need to practice until you are really comfortable. I like your plan to practice with an automatic until the end of the year. When you are really comfortable, confident, then you will pass the test.

But not this year, according to the chart.

Last edited:

LostinPhilly

I think you can pass it. The question is when. This chart says not in the time frame you had in mind, so not this year.

Are you able to just practice driving with your beginner's license and with a licensed driver, who might be friend or acquaintance? The feeling I get is you just need to practice until you are really comfortable. I like your plan to practice with an automatic until the end of the year. When you are really comfortable, confident, then you will pass the test.

But not this year, according to the chart.

Thank you, Ilene.

It makes sense. I tried to call a few driving schools to book lessons and the earliest available slot is in late September. Based on this alone, there's no way I'd be able to sit a test before the end of the year.

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to drive with as most of my "friends" are located outside the city and COVID has also impacted the consistency of some friendships. I can only rely on the lessons for now. I thought about buying a car, but even with a car, I still need a driver with a full license in the car, so it's pointless.

I'm really hoping to get this license at some point. It would be a huge achievement for me. All women in my family are license-less and have always relied on husbands or public transportation. It would be a huge personal accomplishment if I could get it. I'm trying to beat the generational curse here :wink:

IleneK

Premium Member
I have every confidence that you will succeed. Really.
It's just a matter of timing and allowing yourself the practice you need to feel comfortable with the process.
I wish you the best!