Chinese astrology "Tutorial"

Ace

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into Chinese astrology as another one of my interests. Can you ever get enough of astrology? :) I'd like to use my own data as an example to clarify.

My stats: July 23, 1976, Time: 1:26pm
Fire Dragon (element and YEAR ANIMAL)
Goat (month animal, aka INNER ANIMAL)
Goat (6th lunar month - see below)
Goat (time of birth, aka SECRET ANIMAL)

To get your year (including your element), inner, and secret animal go to:
http://chineseastrologyonline.com/chineseastrology.htm
If your not sure of your lunar month go here
http://chineseastrologyonline.com/CLunarCal1.htm. Then look below to match your lunar month with the animal sign.

LUNAR MONTHS
1st - Tiger
2nd - Rabbit
3rd - Dragon
4th - Snake
5th - Horse
6th - Goat
7th - Monkey
8th - Rooster
9th - Dog
10th - Pig
11th - Rat
12th - Ox

Okay, so let's break all of this down:

The ELEMENTS are Water (Mercury), Metal (Venus), Fire (Mars), Wood (Jupiter), Earth (Saturn).

The YEAR ANIMAL is what others perceive you to be.

The INNER ANIMAL is assigned by the month of birth. This dictates your love life and inner persona and is critical to a proper understanding of your compatibility with other signs. It may be considered what the individual wishes to become, or believes to be their true self. Your LUNAR MONTH also affects your inner animal.

The SECRET ANIMAL is determined by exact time of birth and is your own true sign which your personality is based on. It is important to compensate for daylight savings or any clock adjustment performed by your country, as it is mapped according to the sun's location and not the local time.

Rat
Hours ruled:11pm-1am
Western equivalent: Sagittarius

Ox
Hours ruled: 1am-3am
Western equivalent: Capricorn

Tiger
Hours ruled: 3am-5am
Western equivalent: Aquarius

Hare (Rabbit)
Hours ruled: 5am-7am
Western equivalent: Pisces

Dragon
Hours ruled: 7am-9am
Western equivalent: Aries

Snake
Hours ruled: 9am-11am
Western equivalent: Taurus

Horse
Hours ruled: 11am-1pm
Western equivalent: Gemini

Sheep (Goat)
Hours ruled: 1pm-3pm
Western equivalent: Cancer

Monkey
Hours ruled: 3pm-5pm
Western equivalent: Leo

Rooster
Hours ruled: 5pm-7pm
Western equivalent: Virgo

Dog
Hours ruled: 7pm-9pm
Western equivalent: Libra

Pig (Boar)
Hours ruled: 9pm-11pm
Western equivalent: Scorpio

So I guess upon review of this, people perceive me to be assertive/aggressive on the outer appearance since I'm a Fire (Mars) Dragon (Aries). However, my true self (inner animal) is a sheep (equated with Cancer) and doubly influenced as my lunar month is also in the same sign (Cancer once again). So my compatibility is better off with other water signs according to this. Interestingly, yet again my secret animal (time of birth) is in the sign of the sheep (yikes triple Cancer). Wow, does this mean passive-aggressive tendencies or what? lol

Well this was fun for me. I got lots of this information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_astrology and www.chineseastrologyonline.com. If you want a free "zi wei dou shi" chart I found online (although not comprehensive in it's interpretation) you can check out www.purpleking.com or the Wikipedia link has some links at the bottom of the page you can check out (however no interpretation). I've had my chart done once before professionally and it's surprisingly accurate. Enjoy! :)

Three-leg-cat

The twelve zodiac animals would be a little rough system to represent a person. This is why I prefer western astrology more.

Though my mother used to say, "We two were both born in the year of Goat(1955, 1979 -- I suspect it's the year of "Ram"), we are usually hectored by your father, born in the year of Ox (1949)"

So when I was a child, I am proud of having two "Ram" -- one is Aries (my Sun sign), one is Ram.

Just remind here, the Chinese zodiac Ram is a soften and gentle one, not as independent as Western Aries. Some says this Ram has to do with some artistic nature.

Another system of Chinese Astrology mentioned in Wikipedia, ”zǐwēidǒushù” is the one I'm learning. But the issue is that if you are inclined to astronomy rather than mythology I won't suggest this system too since it's not using the "real" planetary bodies that is observed through astronomy calculations.

Ace

Three-leg cat,

Yes, I totally agree that just on the basis of the twelve zodiac signs, it is not enough to get the full picture of a person. At its very best, it's a very general outlook on just a few characteristics of the individual.

This post was intended to just share something I've come across and I wanted to mix things up a bit here to present a fun activity for everyone. Perhaps, I should have entitled this new thread "For entertainment purposes only" :D

I give you much credit to delve deeper into zi wei dou shi. I find that I have more on my plate just trying to learn western astrology! Oops, your right. I believe the 8th sign in the Chinese zodiac is also coined "Ram". They definitely like peaceful and harmonious environments. They are sensitive to disruptions and for the most part quite a mellow sign. I've also read I believe in Suzanne White's book that Goats do have that artsy streak in them.

Three-leg-cat

Ace,

Nice to have chances to share on the Chinese branches of Astrology. I've visited a Taiwanese website "Destiny" -- http://destiny.xfiles.to/ubbthreads/index.php

I have borrowed a book on zi wei dou shi from my friend for months but I have just read about a bit that's related to my natal chart. You can make one natal chart here:
http://destiny.xfiles.to/webtools/Purple.jsp?PHPSESSID=493d6362c15e3de5e6428acf0f8d82dc

Thanks again for the link you provided. I went there too months ago but I haven't discuss with anybody else. Could you comment on my "elements balance sheet" attached to the link below?

http://astrologyweekly.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15&stc=1&d=1148573754

p.s. Good to have friends in this forum from Taiwan! 多多指教了!

!Corrections: I have filled in the wrong time zone, not +8 but probably -8, but I don't know how to remove an attached picture here so I'm going to post in the next reply.

Three-leg-cat

Corrected data on Chinese Astrology

The attached image below contains the corrected birth data on Chinese Astrology for me.

Sorry for inconvinence caused!

Ace

Yes it's nice to see a diverse representation members on this forum :) . I will comment on your element balance when I get back. I have to head on out and will be back later to check on it later in the evening or reply tomorrow. Thanks for the links, I will have to have my friends translate the meaning for me on my chart. :)

Three-leg-cat

Ace,

Thanks so much. If you are interested in zǐwēidǒushù natal chart, you may also post it here.

For the elements balancing, what do you think if Wood element is in abundance? What would be reflected in psychological level? Some Jupiter like influences?

Three-leg-cat

Ace

Three-leg cat,

From your chart you do see you have an overabundance in wood (Yes Jupiter). Therefore, you will exhibit some qualities of Jupiter and it's negative traits too (which come out sometimes more often than with someone who's wood element is not so strong). Yours is considered to be a strong wood element at your birth so you can exhibit much stubbornes, determination and leadership, a bit bossy at times, yet you mean well for others and your generally fair and generous with others.

Male Fire, Female Fire, Female Water, Female Metal, Male Metal in this order are your lucky elements.

Horse, Snake, Goat, Tiger, Monkey and Chicken are good luck animals as well.

2006 appears to be your Money star year. So this is the year for you to do some serious investing, however, you must be careful as well with who you do business with and don't trust too easily here or people will just take your money and run. Stick with friends you really know as business ventures could be profitable at this time. Love is also in the air and overall good times in fun and entertainment. Just don't get too carried away. Spend some, save some.

This is all I can get so far from your chart. I am no expert on this branch of astrology, but I hope some of this rings true for you.

Ace

Three-leg cat,

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I don't know how to post the zi wei chart on here. I have tried to learn this, but it is very confusing for me even on the purpleking website it does not go into much detail.

Three-leg-cat

Ace,

Oorz, is my longitude incorrect in the chart I posted again?

My birth place is 114:10:30E 22:18:30N Time Zone: Standard Time GMT+8

I've to check when I get back home tonight.

Thank so much for your help! I think I'd have some more questions to ask.

Three-leg-cat

Three-leg-cat said:
Ace,

Oorz, is my longitude incorrect in the chart I posted again?

My birth place is 114:10:30E 22:18:30N Time Zone: Standard Time GMT+8

I've to check when I get back home tonight.

Thank so much for your help! I think I'd have some more questions to ask.
Why the longitude 114 became -114 after entry? Which one is right for me?......

Ace

Reading revised

Three leg-cat,

Ah, okay I believe the attachment with the 114 entry is the correct one. A few things have changed as I was doing a reading for the -114 entry before. However, some of it still is true.

What I mentioned about wood though is still strong, in fact even stronger as your score nearly doubles from the original one. Therefore, your strong wood personality still exists.

Lucky elements and elements are somewhat different though so scratch some of what I said earlier:Male Metal and Female Metal are your lucky elements. Monkey and Rooster are lucky animals. Female Earth and Male Earth are the next lucky elements. Sheep, Cow, Dragon, Dog, Snake, Horse and Tiger are the next lucky animals.

Ouch...and as far as your prediction goes for this year it's one of caution in many areas. Although your money star shows up in this yearly cycle, you still have to be attentive to financials. Take heed in business and investment and rearrange them accordingly, if you have anything on shaky ground. It's not wise to really lend money at this time to anyone either. Your money cycle began in 2004 and ends in 2008. Be practical and safe and you'll have some reasonable gains. Don't be a spendthrift! Pay attention to your health and watch what you say. Not the time to lose your temper or let your emotions get the best of you. Your reputation could be at stake if you burst out saying the wrong thing to someone. Yeah, I know this all does not sound good, but the bright patch is that it's a good time for romance. Just don't get too carried away with the gift giving. :D Overall, it's all about striking a balance this year. Your patience will be rewarded though as your next 10 year cycle from 2009-2018 cycle looks awesome! A lot of luck coming around the corner in friends, money, reputation, and wisdom.

Once again, sorry about the mix-up on my end. I should have looked at both attachments closer before going ahead. :)

Three-leg-cat

Ace said:
Three-leg cat,

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I don't know how to post the zi wei chart on here. I have tried to learn this, but it is very confusing for me even on the purpleking website it does not go into much detail.
I also don't know how to post HTML codes here.

Here I post the screenshots of your zi wei chart here as attachment:
attachment.php

We may soon come to discussions for your chart!

Ace

Sorry Three-leg,

I cannot view the attachment. I would try it out, but not exactly sure what to do on the website links you posted earlier as they are all in kanji :(

If you have any other questions on your chart, please don't hesitate to ask. I purchased the software program as well just now so I've been playing around withit. I will combine what I know and it's interpretative features to give an answer. I just wish it had clearer tutorials to guide me through in understanding the element birth chart (10-Gods interpretation - as they would call it). Also, anyone else who would like a reading from it, then just let me know! :)

Three-leg-cat

Ace said:
I cannot view the attachment.
I'm sorry, just before but I couldn't yet find the translations of the names of zi wei dou sou's heavenly bodies in English.

Now there is an English website with keywords in simplified Chinese being explained. There is a tutorial for drawing your own zi wei dou shu's natal chart by yourself, though it needs some patience to go through the long passages.

Have a look,
http://chinese-astrology.blogspot.com/

I have to apologize if simplified Chinese brings further problems to you anyway.

blumen

Finally a good website on Chinese astrology! Chinese characters are not a problem, you need them to do Ziwei Doushu the same way you need planetary symbols if you want to do Western astrology,

Blumen

Three-leg-cat

Three-leg-cat said:
I also don't know how to post HTML codes here.

Here I post the screenshots of your zi wei chart here as attachment:
attachment.php
The image I posted to the above link(Ace's Zi Wei's birth chart) has been misreplaced by something else. Does anyone know what's the matter with it?

gemcap

I also study chinese astrology as well as western. Western comes naturally for me. Chinese is a little harder.

Here is a link to a good chinese astrology website.

http://www.delemme.com/ Some free downloads there too.

I think there is a lot to be said for zi wei dou shu.

Gemcap

VenusInAries

I enjoyed this thread and the links very much.

I was born year of the Earth Rooster, Month of the Snake, and Day and hour of the Monkey :: big cheesy smile::

A Monkey!! ::giggle:: that pretty much sums me up I think :banana: