I've stopped believing in transits

Kenoshamaensa

While I still have faith in natal astrology, over the past 2 years, I've stopped believing in transits, solar returns, progressions and most "predictive" astrology.

Natal charts still, IME -- after almost 20 years reading -- seem fairly accurate. I also used to find at least some long-term transits to be accurate.

But lately? Nada. Especially short-term. Not only are they "not accurate," they're DEAD WRONG. Just to give a concrete example. Today, I had a Sun sextile Venus and tomorrow, Venus trine the ascendant. That should make me feel really GOOD, right? Charming, loved, important, etc.

Yeah ... I've been virtually suicidal all day. I'm not kidding. Suicidal. I keep having to remind myself I have a son (and 3 cats) whose lives depend on me. I can't kill myself. I'm not dramatizing. I have not, historically, felt suicidal. I hate drama llamas. But I've stopped believing I have anything to look forward to, or that anything will get better. I've given it PLENTY of time ... as in YEARS. And *nothing* has changed, despite the fact *transits* suggested change. BUT ... no change.

I do not matter to ANYbody (except the aforementioned cats, and sorta my son, but yaknow, he has a father and stepfamily ... he wouldn't miss me). Lately, I've had MULTIPLE cases of "should be a good day but I feel like SH*T." Or, by contrast, "Should be a BAD day but it's not been that awful (or awful at all)."

I am a trained historian. I believe in EVIDENCE. And right now, all EVIDENCE points to transits as WRONG. I've stopped believing in them.

So why am I posting this?

Because we rarely talk about what we DON'T believe, do we? We rarely call the sh*t on the carpet. But I'm doing so.

Natal astrology, yeah, sure, I've found it to be mostly true.

Transits and solar returns and progressions. Yeah ... NOT.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Especially lately. They're all WRONG. Consistently. No occasionally ... consistently.

I require EVIDENCE to prove to me that something is correct. That's why I actually came to *believe* in natal astrology, despite "science" saying it can't be true. My EXPERIENCE showed it was.

But transists? All my evidence points to the *contrary*. So I've stopped believing in transits or any other predictive astrology. It's just wrong.

(And in case you just assume my birth data must be wrong, it's not. Birth data is *correct*.)

dr. farr

I understand your feelings, I used to think that about horary! UNTIL I learned an alternative approach (from an oral tradition-what I call "Ankara horary", taken from old time Ottoman astrology) which has proven correct (predictively) in easily over 3 out of 4 cases, involving hundreds of "samples" (horary predicitions)

I also have to agree with you about transits as they are generally understood and taught (in Western astrology)-here too I have learned and follow a very radical alternative (so radical it would be too controversial even for AW), which works quite well; my only use of SR's has been within the context of astro-therapeutics, but I use them as stand alones (NOT in comparison to natals) and they work very well (at least for astro-medical delineations)

Primary and secondary progressions (ie, primary and secondary directions) I never had a taste for, but simple symbolic progressions, connected with Pauline profection (another largely forgotten method) has often been very accurate for predictive purposes. But none of these approaches I use are even close to mainstream-I am not advocating them, and I am not claiming that they are "better" than mainstream (except FOR ME)-I guess the point that I am trying to make is, if mainstream methods have proven inadequate in your experience, why not consider alternatives??

Last edited:

Sweet Pea

Kay, here comes a big ((((((hug)))))) to make you feel a bit better.

You're putting a lot of weight on the quick acting transits involving Venus, and not enough weight on the influence of the outer planets which in this case is overriding them, as it does for many of us.

Pluto is transiting at 5 Capricorn on your 11th house (friendships) cusp, and inconjuncting Mars in Leo (who is brought alive by the thought that you matter to someone). Pluto is cutting out that feeling. Whatever he touches, he either kills it or he intensifies it. He's making your Mars feel desperate, but stopping him from feeling loved and supported as he needs to be.

There are also some 'invisible' influences hitting your chart that you may not know about...the TNOs or Trans-Neptunian Objects. You can see them on this daily ephemeris -

http://serennu.com/astrology/ephemeris.php

and you can also go to astro.com and put hh in the asteroid box and up they will pop....Hades, Zeus, Cupido, Vulcanus, Admetos, Apollo....etc. They are like a whole family of characters that traditional astrology ignores because they are invisible and quite possibly only viewable in the infra-red spectrum.

However, they make potent attacks upon our charts. You will see that Hades is retro at 1 Cancer, squaring your Sun and trining your Pisces ascendant. Hades is simply another Pluto. He's a slow mover and will be in this position for some months to a year yet, as he will retro back to the end of 29 Gemini before going forward again. Your challenge will be to defiantly stick a finger up to this beast and not let your Mercury-Pluto conjunction drag you down into dark places of the mind.

Your Pisces Ascendant trine Neptune, and responsible Saturn on the Ascendant and inconjunct your Sun, needs people to look after...be responsible for, sacrifice to. There are many needs out there. I don't know how much time you have besides your mothering (you didn't say the age of your son) and your work (?) but there might be some volunteering or another kind of work that you could do that would allow you to 'give yourself' to others and feel appreciated for it (Mars/Leo in 6th house of work).

That fiery Sag MC, and Jupiter also trining your Sun, tells me you need to make a mark on the world. There will be opportunities out there....

:happy:

Culpeper

Premium Member
It says at the top that transits are the most used predictive technique. However, I have been doing astrology along time and have not noticed that they predict much of anything by themselves. By prediction I mean the prediction of events not feelings. I have found that they can trigger events that are predicted by some other method that has been found reliable.

Since I do mundane astrology, I use the lunation charts. Cast charts for the new and full moons. In mundane astrology these charts are used by themselves. But for personal predictions, cast a biwheel with your natal chart on the outside. Turn the chart so that the new moon or full moon house is the first house. I use whole sign houses for this.

To time things remember that the Moon keeps moving. You can follow its progess around the chart with an ephemeris. Observe its aspects. You can also do a profection starting at the first house. One day for each house. I have found this words rather well for predicting events.

Sagmoon

While I still have faith in natal astrology, over the past 2 years, I've stopped believing in transits, solar returns, progressions and most "predictive" astrology.

Natal charts still, IME -- after almost 20 years reading -- seem fairly accurate. I also used to find at least some long-term transits to be accurate.

But lately? Nada. Especially short-term. Not only are they "not accurate," they're DEAD WRONG. Just to give a concrete example. Today, I had a Sun sextile Venus and tomorrow, Venus trine the ascendant. That should make me feel really GOOD, right? Charming, loved, important, etc.

Yeah ... I've been virtually suicidal all day. I'm not kidding. Suicidal. I keep having to remind myself I have a son (and 3 cats) whose lives depend on me. I can't kill myself. I'm not dramatizing. I have not, historically, felt suicidal. I hate drama llamas. But I've stopped believing I have anything to look forward to, or that anything will get better. I've given it PLENTY of time ... as in YEARS. And *nothing* has changed, despite the fact *transits* suggested change. BUT ... no change.

I do not matter to ANYbody (except the aforementioned cats, and sorta my son, but yaknow, he has a father and stepfamily ... he wouldn't miss me). Lately, I've had MULTIPLE cases of "should be a good day but I feel like SH*T." Or, by contrast, "Should be a BAD day but it's not been that awful (or awful at all)."

I am a trained historian. I believe in EVIDENCE. And right now, all EVIDENCE points to transits as WRONG. I've stopped believing in them.

Because we rarely talk about what we DON'T believe, do we? We rarely call the sh*t on the carpet. But I'm doing so.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Especially lately. They're all WRONG. Consistently. No occasionally ... consistently.

I require EVIDENCE to prove to me that something is correct. That's why I actually came to *believe* in natal astrology, despite "science" saying it can't be true. My EXPERIENCE showed it was.

But transists? All my evidence points to the *contrary*. So I've stopped believing in transits or any other predictive astrology. It's just wrong.

(And in case you just assume my birth data must be wrong, it's not. Birth data is *correct*.)

Hello:)

Really sorry to hear you feel this way. I was suicidal for a long time in my life, and well sometimes I still am. Wanted to point to you the forum I used to go to when feeling this way, http://www.takethislife.com/. Lots of nice people, really helpful.

I dealt with depression years and years, no transits for me! I bought some books on transits, predictive astrology; all very pretty, nice easy language, pleasure reading, etc etc. But no thanks. I'm thinking of selling them actually. How shallow I became towards astrology, it used to be holy to me.

Astrology is just not scientific enough to rely upon. That's what I came to realize over the years. And until it's pure, 100% science, i would not recommend it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not true, it could be, it's just that we don't know how it works exactly, on a molecular, if not less, level. It's all so general, that you are left with hit or miss situation.

The only prediction I rely upon is the lunar cycle of my period. lol But even that is not very reliable, cause there are ways to shift the cycle, through medication etc. So if the moon's point has shifted and now the period comes every time the moon transits a particular other point in the sky, lets say it used to be moon over my moon, now it's over my house in cancer. So hmm, hmm... the hormonal changes are still the same, I still crave chocolate, and don't feel like climbing out of the bed.

Like you I still believe in natal astrology, i can see people are different, I can even say if they have preponderance in water, fire etc. But I can't guess their rising, or their sun sign. It's just too elusive. And even natal astrology, although i do identify with it a lot, and i want to learn more, it's so general that everyone is kind of left with doing "inclusiveness", and "universalities".

Rushwing

Hey, I'm coming to this discussion late, but I wanted to say, I hope your current feelings of frustration don't rule any of your decision making at this time. Please care for not just your physical life, but also the health of your mind.

I know I've been confused and suicidal before and when this happens usually I feel very self important (like no way am I being dramatic! This is serious!) and justified in whatever behavior I choose. Hopefully you can not only control your actions, but help yourself to some positive self-love, especially if you feel like you are useless. You have to choice to activate your venus in your chart or not. I have a book about venus transits, and it talks about those who have a good relationship with venus and those who don't. If you don't have a good relationship with your venus, it will cause you to feel totally alone, unloved and despairing of the difficulties in life (unable to see the beauty)

Every planet has evolved and un-evolved manifestations.

Probably you are justified in feeling the way you are feeling however, I would suggest you might be looking at the EVIDENCE currently with things colored

Feelings are only one aspect of your life. I have a strong 1st house venus in my chart, and transits to venus in my experience DO NOT affect my mood. Its not about my inner state. They affect my physical sensitivities, attractive power (if I decide to activate it, which is an action not a feeling) and creativity (which again, might not be activated if I don't have the time to be creative!)

Venus is not about how you feel IMO AT ALL... its about HOW YOU PREFER TO BE COMFORTED. So I don't know where you are getting your conclusions but think about where the moon is more, because the moon affects your irrational feelings.

You should write down HOW YOU FEEL, not read about HOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO FEEL. Next, when dealing with dark feelings I would look at saturn, pluto and mercury, as those deal with oppressions, deep subconscious and your mental state. And of course, it would have a lot to do with the specific aspects with your natal chart.

You should continue your own research and decide which interpretations work best for you. Each person is so unique in their experience.

Also, I will say this, dark moods are very very powerful. They activate themselves sometimes and then overshadow any other positive influences in the chart. The strongest feelings in the world are anger and disappointment. They take anything else that is going on and trample it.

Anger and disappointment are passed through families, relating to specific forms of failures or betrayals, and they don't have anything to do with positive transits like venus. They come up like sickness, to destroy your chances of enjoying what venus has to offer you.

There are malefics and benefics, and if for some reason you are drawn to the dark side in some particular way, triggered by some trauma or disspointment inside yourself that you carry that's malefics not benefics.

You can use the venus energy to heal yourself however. If you are a venus in taurus, then smells and massage. If you are a venus in leo, than use activity, color and play. .

If venus is conj natal venus, than it is the time to REALLY use the tasks that makes you feel good. AND IF YOU DON'T then you will possibly FEEL EVEN MORE LIKE CR*P. Its a work order. Life is work. Venus says...hey give me love, and if you don't you will feel lonely and sad. Its not a giving planet like jupiter. Venus requires ATTENTION.

I personally always take a very general approach to transits, I don't pay attention to conjunctions on specific days (unless they are outer planets) because the time they are conjunct is so short, and additionally, the effects can also be felt days in advance or behind.

Anyways, if the only HARD EVIDENCE you are going from is your own personal life, I would suggest you put down the chopping block and think about how YOU WOULD RATHER VIEW your own life, rather than deciding a whole body of knowledge that is thousands of years old is bunk, if only because its not clear to you right now how it all fits in your personal life story.

Take care of yourself.

JUPITERASC

While I still have faith in natal astrology, over the past 2 years, I've stopped believing in transits, solar returns, progressions and most "predictive" astrology......I require EVIDENCE to prove to me that something is correct. That's why I actually came to *believe* in natal astrology, despite "science" saying it can't be true. My EXPERIENCE showed it was. But transists? All my evidence points to the *contrary*. So I've stopped believing in transits or any other predictive astrology. It's just wrong. (And in case you just assume my birth data must be wrong, it's not. Birth data is *correct*.)

Regarding your personal experience of Solar Returns not predicting anything reliably perhaps you would be interested to do some research regarding possible reasons why, that are being discussed on this current thread http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41281 :smile:
When a Tropical solar return is calculated and contrasted with a precessed Tropical solar return chart, the effects of precession are noticeable, because, although the actual amount of precession is about 4 seconds of arc per year, timing is everything in Solar Return charts... the older we get, the greater the difference in the houses and angles of the Precession Corrected chart – so that by the time of our 18th birthday, the difference between a solar return calculated with and without precession is six hours: the difference on our thirty-sixth birthday is twelve hours and by our seventy second birthday the difference is an entire day.

A geocentric view of a Solar Return depends upon the Earth, Sun and star background all re-establishing the relationship that existed at birth. This is not the same as the position in space (relative to our orbit about the Sun) where the Tropical Zodiac says our Solar Return occurred. The added distance and time required for the Earth to move past the Tropical Zodiac “return” point and to reach the “Sidereal” or “Precession-corrected” position is what makes a Tropical Solar Return chart different from a Sidereal Solar Return chart. :smile:

R4VEN

K, reading your post reminded me of how I used to be in relation to transits.

Firstly, I don't know whether I should even say this publically, but I find the temporary transits to be a bit rubbish. That is, a Venus transit to your Sun or your Mars or whatever will not be felt by you when you have transiting Neptune & Chiron sitting on your Saturn-ASC, as well as transiting Uranus Rx opposing your Sun - and so transiting Uranus has been for some time activating the apex planet of your Yod :w00t::w00t::w00t: These transits are MEGA!!! Just Neptune sitting on your ASC is enough to send you into a downward spiral, but you have Chiron & Uranus on top of that.

I'm surprised you can gather all your brain cells together to be able to construct a thread!!!!! When I had tr Neptune on my ASC I was a basket case!!!! But it passed, as do all difficult transits.

Look at it this way -
Sun sextile Venus in transit is like a mini torch, and the light from this will not be seen against the giant floodlight beam cast by transiting Chiron-Neptune and Uranus.

Take care of yourself.

Neptune Rising

I'm sorry to hear your feeling that way Kay, it will pass I know everyone says, but it will and does pass.

My friend was feeling like that when he also had Neptune and Chiron conjuncting his Saturn. it really did dissolve alot of structures in his life, money was involved, Saturn sits in his natal 8th house. Its passing for him now and he is feeling much more positive and can now work with what he has learned through his experience.

Anyway, sending you a hug.

Kenoshamaensa

First, I wanted to take a minute to thank EVERYone who responded, even if I don't specifically reply below. In some cases, I'll just take the advice and look into it (as with Dr. Farr's suggestions and Culpepper's on lunation charts).

And Neptune Rising, you mentioned Neptune dissolving structures (esp. financial) for your friend with Saturn in his 8th. Any thoughts on a 12th house Saturn? In many ways, this is the (personal) planetary house placement that has always been the hardest for me to put a finger on -- probably no surprise, BEING the 12th house. But it is so close to the ascendant, I tend to read it partially as a 1st house Saturn. So impacting fundamental views of myself would make a certain sense, read that way. But for all it has 1st house "resonance," I'm reluctant to read it as a TRUE 1st house Saturn, as some of the harder aspects of a 1st house Saturn aren't really present for me (then again, it's exalted in Aquarius, so...). But I HAVE been doing some thinking about how Neptune is affecting Saturn, pragmatically speaking.

As noted, I still do find myself believing in natal astrology, as I find it to be remarkably on target, and it almost always gives me insight on people's motivations. Comments here have also reminded me of the importance of the major transits. I think the problem with them is that they don't always give me much insight into *timing*, Even when I consider the week/day of the exact hit. They do still seem to reflect general realities, it's true.

But I will add one clarification that I failed to make ... I do realize short-term transits are *short term*, and not as powerful. But that said, what I've noticed at least in the last year or two is that my short-term experiences (and/or feelings) rarely seem to match up well with what the short-term transits suggest I should be experiencing or feeling. The so-called "easy" or positive transits as often coincide with a few hours or half a day of feeling really BAD as they coincide with feeling good. The same with the "hard" or more negative transits. There seems to be little to no connection, even looking at them short term and being aware they last only a few hours, half a day, or a day (or two).

Long term transits still seem more accurate, but in "general," not able to pinpoint much beyond some months of ___. Additionally, the negative long-term aspects always seem to completely drown anything positive. And I seem to almost never have a "positive" transit without another "negative" transit which hammers me. The only thing I can conclude is that it would, what, be WORSE? Jeez. I supposed I'd like to have Jupiter bring something that was "unadulteratedly" good. ;> Or hey, I'd even take a "nice" Uranus surprise! :-D

Pluto is transiting at 5 Capricorn on your 11th house (friendships) cusp, and inconjuncting Mars in Leo (who is brought alive by the thought that you matter to someone). Pluto is cutting out that feeling. Whatever he touches, he either kills it or he intensifies it. He's making your Mars feel desperate, but stopping him from feeling loved and supported as he needs to be.

There are also some 'invisible' influences hitting your chart that you may not know about...the TNOs or Trans-Neptunian Objects. You can see them on this daily ephemeris... However, they make potent attacks upon our charts. You will see that Hades is retro at 1 Cancer, squaring your Sun and trining your Pisces ascendant. Hades is simply another Pluto. He's a slow mover and will be in this position for some months to a year yet, as he will retro back to the end of 29 Gemini before going forward again. Your challenge will be to defiantly stick a finger up to this beast and not let your Mercury-Pluto conjunction drag you down into dark places of the mind.

That fiery Sag MC, and Jupiter also trining your Sun, tells me you need to make a mark on the world. There will be opportunities out there...

Again, thanks for reminding me about these outer influences, and what you said here sound very fitting to what I'm feeling. Yes, I'll admit that I do want to make a mark in the world, both as a teacher (professor), and as a fiction author, but in native tradition where storytelling is "sacred business" (both appropriately Sag careers, no?!!). This has been a large part of my current frustrations, as I've been told since I was very young (12 years old), what a great writer I am/will be/can be. I won't go into a lot of detail (for space), but suffice to say it's coming from quarters that don't "have" to like or flatter me -- don't even KNOW me. They're objective/indifferent.

Yet, yet ... I can't seem to SELL a novel, despite having writen 4. I have only 2 short stories professionally published despite 30+ years of honing my craft and the fact people who read my fiction tend to assume I'm a professional author (and are surprised to learn I'm really not). (Although I should note that short story writing and novel writing are 2 different animals and I just don't write many short stories.)

Now, there are "market" reasons for this inability to sell a novel, largely related to story-length and paper costs -- which I understand ... but ... it gets complicated. I could go into a song and dance about it, but won't. Suffice to say, the mixed messages (neither from people who are obligated either to like or dislike my writing) leave me VERY uncertain and frustrated. Frankly, they have for years, but it's really reaching a breaking point. When do you throw in the towel and recognize it's just not going to happen? Ever? Is that "giving up" or "getting realistic"? Probably depends on who you ask, but it's been increasingly on my mind. Sure Confucious was a failure during his own lifetime but wound up becoming the Moral Father of China. Yet for every Confucious there are another thousand who really *have* no talent/ability. They just think they do. And I suppose that's where I'm sitting. Should I trust those who say I'm good ... or do I trust the professional publishing industry (agents and editors) who won't buy my novels? Which side is admiring "The Emperor's New Clothes" (and not admitting he's naked)?

The Mars observation is also on target, btw. I've always been aware that my Leo Venus AND Mars gives me a "double whammy" of needing to be admired/appreciated/complimented. (And of course, being a Leo, I'll always give it back.) But I hadn't really thought about the Pluto inconjunct to Mars.

And Pluto always kicks my ***, which I find a little ironic, as I tend to view Pluto relatively *positively* in my natal chart.

I'll also add that I'm very aware of how Pluto hitting my 11th house is "revising" my personal circle. It's been slow coming, but I've been aware of it for the last couple of years. Pluto through my 9th house completely revamped my personal belief system and my academic pursuits (changed FIELDS of study altogether, even if I didn't stop wanting an advanced degree). Likewise, Pluto hit my MC and 10th house as I was seeking tenure ... and "perfected" it. I got tenure. But since, it's made me ever more aware that, much as I really do LOVE teaching, my first love, and my preferred career, really is WRITING (fiction) ... if I could just get published. And now, Pluto hitting my 11th house, is revising/purifying my personal circle. At this point, by limiting it. Friends who were close just 2 years ago now have new jobs and have grown distant, those I used to hang out with have new directions that take them away and/or something soured in the association. I've kept a few friends, who've grown closer. And one former friend MAY (stress on the "may") be becoming the infamous "more." But I'm not counting chickens. Solar Return and Venus Return suggest maybe that will pan out but ... again, I'm just so "iffy" these days about projections, I'm skeptical.

But the CHANGES to the larger circle of friends is certainly true.

I have a book about venus transits, and it talks about those who have a good relationship with venus and those who don't. If you don't have a good relationship with your venus, it will cause you to feel totally alone, unloved and despairing of the difficulties in life (unable to see the beauty) ... every planet has evolved and un-evolved manifestations.

... transits to venus in my experience DO NOT affect my mood. Its not about my inner state. They affect my physical sensitivities, attractive power (if I decide to activate it, which is an action not a feeling) and creativity (which again, might not be activated if I don't have the time to be creative!)

Venus is not about how you feel IMO AT ALL... its about HOW YOU PREFER TO BE COMFORTED. So I don't know where you are getting your conclusions but think about where the moon is more, because the moon affects your irrational feelings ...

... You can use the venus energy to heal yourself however ... if you are a venus in leo, than use activity, color and play ... Venus says...hey give me love, and if you don't you will feel lonely and sad. Its not a giving planet like jupiter. Venus requires ATTENTION.

I'm a Libra Sun, so Venus is fairly important in my chart, but suffers a pretty hard square from Neptune (in Scorp), which gives me trouble, and another square from Jupiter (in Taurus), but not a lot of positive action. The best I can point to is a lovely trine to the MC. But ironically, the sun is in fall in Venus's sign, and Venus is in the sun's sign.

And yeah, the most "needy" Venus of all might be Leo! It makes us generous, to be sure, but it also makes us (unconsciously) self-centered. It's something I've worked at all my life, and actually became aware of as a child. So I've had 30+ years of a Leo Venus Libra Sun learning to focus on others and bring out their strengths.

But in this particular case, I mostly singled out Venus because what I was supposed to experience seemed very at odds with what I DID experience. (And my interp of Venus transits came/comes from Hand, most often.)

Firstly, I don't know whether I should even say this publically, but I find the temporary transits to be a bit rubbish. That is, a Venus transit to your Sun or your Mars or whatever will not be felt by you when you have transiting Neptune & Chiron sitting on your Saturn-ASC, as well as transiting Uranus Rx opposing your Sun - and so transiting Uranus has been for some time activating the apex planet of your Yod :w00t::w00t::w00t: These transits are MEGA!!! Just Neptune sitting on your ASC is enough to send you into a downward spiral, but you have Chiron & Uranus on top of that.

I'm surprised you can gather all your brain cells together to be able to construct a thread!!!!! When I had tr Neptune on my ASC I was a basket case!!!! But it passed, as do all difficult transits.

Look at it this way - Sun sextile Venus in transit is like a mini torch, and the light from this will not be seen against the giant floodlight beam cast by transiting Chiron-Neptune and Uranus.

Thanks, R4VEN, this actually makes a good deal of sense, especially in conjunction to what Sweetpea said above. It may be that I'm SO weighed down at the moment by the major transits that they've simply overwhelmed much if any affect for minor transits, even when assuming they ARE short term -- and, for instance, I regularly ignore the moon, and even Merc. I don't really pay attention until it's Venus or Mars (or the Sun), since these last more than a few hours or half a day.

Anyway, it seems like Neptune-Chiron conj. Saturn/ASC is REALLY hitting me hard, perhaps the worst of all. I've felt the Uranus less, for whatever reason, despite it hitting my Yod. But Hand's description of Neptune-Saturn as "dark night of the soul" ... oh, yeah. Putting it on my Ascendant, too -- it's just a killer (metaphorically speaking, at least, hopefully not literally, even when there are days I consider it).

You do have some very trying progressions happening right now, so can't expect to feel very optimistic. Your natal Saturn (right on your ascendant) is sextile your natal moon in Aries, This is the natal connection that the progressed Saturn and prog.moon should to be read against . We are taught that the sextile is an easy connection, which means that the two planets involved can easily connect, which I agree with, what we don't often realise is that the sextile is a working aspect, so a sextile between the moon and Saturn doesn't mean that we only get the easier connections between these 2 planets ... the positive side of moon in Aries sextile Saturn would give you a certain control over the impulsive moon in aries (among other positive qualities) , while other manifestations of this connection will give you a depressed feeling, especially when progressions and transits are aspecting these 3 positions (moon,Saturn,ascendant) A look at your progressed chart shows us that your natal sun is in fall (libra) which is a great place for an astrologer because you feel the progressions/transits more keenly than the average joe/jane as a strong sense of self just isn't there, the progressed sun is now conjunct Neptune in scorp, it's no wonder you are feeling disillusioned, as the emotional intensity of your sun in scorp is so contrasted to your natal (unemotional ) Air sun, and Neptune in scorp can be a very sensitive and confusing. This progression isn't helped by transiting Neptune and Chiron on your natal ascendant and Saturn (a triple whammy). Your progressed moon is currently in Capricorn, activating the saturnian influence of your natal saturn/moon sextile, it doesn't suprise me that you would contemplate suicide. The good news is that you don't have much longer to wait until you start to perk up a bit, your progressed sun is now 2 minutes past the conjunction to Neptune, so things are looking up. Next year your progressed moon will conjunct your progressed M/C, I would interpret that as you recieving some medical treatment for your depression, but you don't have to wait for this conjunction to be exact, you can get some help now, this would involve using your natal saturn/asc/moon combo in a good way! I have very similar progressions/transits too at the moment, having a shoulder to cry on can help to release some of the negativity, and knowing that these very trying planetary combinations will soon move on should give you a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks. Several things here to consider that I'd forgotten, including the nature of the sextile and progressions. And yes, Saturn-Moon sextile does calm down my Aries moon (although a square from Mars ruling Aries gives me a temper still). I'm not especially impulsive, or warm to strangers, although I've been described as enthusiastic and charismatic (especially when I'm feeling "on"). But anyway, on the Progressed Moon conjunct the MC, this may actually have a slightly different interp. For the next 2 years, I'm in charge of a regional history conference, which puts me SQUARE in the public view. While this is an academic role, in many ways, it's really a SERVICE (industry) role, as my ability to coordinate, keep people happy, and finesse feelings are as important (or really, more important) than my academic expertise. Ha. I sorta "inherited" this role, and had to laugh when I noticed that Moon-MC conjunction coming up in progressions, as it seemed very apropos of the aspect! (But you'd only know that, of course, if aware of my personal schedule.)

That's not to say I might not get some sort of medical treatment for the depression. I did actually raise it with my physician, as my peri-menopause is starting, and severe depression like that is VERY uncharacteristic of my usual moods (but can be one of the symptoms of peri-menopause). I may have a moon-Saturn connection, but I tend to experience it as more stabilizing (in the past) than dampening/depressive. I've always had really even moods, NOT much mood swinging (for good or ill). The doc suggested that some of my problem may owe to increased insomnia associated with peri-menopause. She also pointed out that at least a couple of the drugs used to treat depression are ALSO used (in much smaller doses) to treat insomnia. (I don't find that too surprising, really.) But if things don't get better, she may try prescribing one for a short term, only in the "insomnia" strength. We're not going there yet, however.

Last edited:

R4VEN

I've felt the Uranus less, for whatever reason, despite it hitting my Yod. .
Firstly, Kenoshamaensa, thank you for such comprehensive feedback. It cannot be easy to put it all together so well when life is so dark.

I felt that I needed to comment on what you said about the Uranus transit. Whilst a Uranus opposition to your Sun by transit would normally stir things up for you and perhaps liberate what is `stuck', the Yod-factor will probably have it affecting you in a different way. Yods - when activated - tend to hold things up, leaving you feeling as though you are existing in a kind of time-vacuum. You expressed so much frustration over not getting your novels published, and this frustration is an outcome of the Yod being activated. Essentially a Yod activation will be saying: "Everything has its own time, and you must wait for yours."

Ironically, I read in this morning's local newspaper that the late Harold Robbins (who died on this day in 1997) once said that he'd be remembered as the greatest writer in the world!!! Sheesh! And he wasn't even a Leo! Unfortunately, not all good writing gets published, and not all of what is published is good writing.

Inconjunct

I think you should bear in mind that transits do not override your natal chart. If a person's natal chart means they are naturally dour, taciturn and anti-social, they aren't suddenly going to turn into Funtime Frankie thanks to a fleeting Venus transit.

Kenoshamaensa

Firstly, Kenoshamaensa, thank you for such comprehensive feedback. It cannot be easy to put it all together so well when life is so dark.

I felt that I needed to comment on what you said about the Uranus transit. Whilst a Uranus opposition to your Sun by transit would normally stir things up for you and perhaps liberate what is `stuck', the Yod-factor will probably have it affecting you in a different way. Yods - when activated - tend to hold things up, leaving you feeling as though you are existing in a kind of time-vacuum. You expressed so much frustration over not getting your novels published, and this frustration is an outcome of the Yod being activated. Essentially a Yod activation will be saying: "Everything has its own time, and you must wait for yours."

Ironically, I read in this morning's local newspaper that the late Harold Robbins (who died on this day in 1997) once said that he'd be remembered as the greatest writer in the world!!! Sheesh! And he wasn't even a Leo! Unfortunately, not all good writing gets published, and not all of what is published is good writing.

First, thanks. I try to give feedback in return for all the folks who took time to comment. Due to RL time constraints, I may not frequent the board a lot, but I'm here to learn, so I like to know how my suggestions sounds to the person I'm responding to. :) Although admittedly, I don't pretend to any consistent expertise beyond reading natals and synastry ... not necessarily just romantic, I've become very interested in family synastry charts. I admit to a certain ... caution? about composite charts, even if I don't disregard them, but it's really natal and synastry that interests me.

ANYway, that's why I try to give feedback.

Now, back to the Yod ... I've always heard/read about the Yod as "Finger of God" and "fated," in charts (Tyl, probably obviously, as a source). But I'd never thought of transits as "blockage." I find that very interesting. Can you point to other discussions here [or elsewhere]? (I could run a search, but will admit to being lazy if you have a few handy. Ha) Yods have always been one of those things I struggle to understand, despite having one, and reading Tyl, and spending some time thinking about it. And some discussions here about mine some months back. :)

I wonder why? Personal block? Another (good) friend of mine, has not just one, but THREE in his chart, and I puzzle over them too, when looking at his natal. But "blockage" may make a certain sense. I do note transits to my Yod midpoint/Sun, but I often remain PUZZLED on RESULTS. But perhaps -- back to blockage -- that's because it's less results than LACK of results ... Interesting. I will have to go back and check the ephemeris and see if I can find similar examples to compare (assuming I can even remember what was going on ...).

I think you should bear in mind that transits do not override your natal chart. If a person's natal chart means they are naturally dour, taciturn and anti-social, they aren't suddenly going to turn into Funtime Frankie thanks to a fleeting Venus transit.

*deep breath* I don't want to sound overly snarky, but I kinda knew that already. Trouble is? I'm not dour, taciturn, or anti-social by nature, thanks. Kinda the opposite, actually.

If you want to talk *natal* charts -- my Saturn rising aside -- I don't meet many Libra suns, Aries moons, Pisces risings, with a Venus and Mars in fiery Leo, a Sun-Jupiter trine, Sun-Mars sextile, and Mars-Moon square who WOULD qualify for those adjectives. Er ... maybe that's WHY I'm asking these question, yeah?

While normally, I may be a retiring Pisces Rising and a pleasant Libra Sun ... I'm p*ssy these day. Life has been tough enough lately, and replies like this make me not want to bother expressing frustrations or questions.

R4VEN

. I've always heard/read about the Yod as "Finger of God" and "fated," in charts (Tyl, probably obviously, as a source).
`Tis true about them being `fated' & `Finger Of God', but I think it useful to be able to get even a small grasp on what that can mean.

Here are a couple of threads from a couple of years ago, during which Yods and unaspected planets were discussed in some detail.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827&highlight=yods+unaspected+planets
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15271&highlight=yods+unaspected+planets

I can really recommend "The Yod Book", by Dutch astrologer, Karen Hamaker-Zondag. I could not get my head around Yods until I'd read that book.
But I'd never thought of transits as "blockage." I find that very interesting.
Something I only just noticed on your chart is that not only has your Sun/Yod apex been activated by tr Uranus. but your Saturn - one of the base planets of your Yod - has been `activated' by transiting Chiron and Neptune over quite a long period of time. This has had a dramatic effect - over a long and drawn-out time over your Saturn-ruled and Sun-ruled houses.......... i.e. your 11th & 6th houses. And there's more, but I don't want to overload you with information in this post.

[Just to give an idea of how a Yod can work in your favour.......my mid-30's son has a natal Yod which has been activated by conjunction by tr Uranus on and off for the past few years. Initially this was traumatic for him (the Yod planet was his Pisces Moon) but during the last `attack' of Uranus he has been able to change the way he approaches his life, and in particular the area of life which was influenced by the Yod activation. He had to re-learn life from the bottom up, and the results have been extraordinary.......... but he firstly had to face his inner saboteur, and his whole thought pattern. The term `trial by fire' comes to mind. Only souls who are advanced can cope with this level of testing.]

Sweet Pea

Have you thought about publishing your novels on a site like lulu.com? They do print-on-demand. You could have some printed and give them away for self-publicity and see if you could get the ball rolling that way....

Vista

Hi there,
I have had similar feelings of what you are experiencing. Many astrologers believe if the two planets being aspected by transit aren't aspected natally, nothing much will come of the transit. Also, there are some who believe that whatever house/planet is involved and is aspected by nothing but positive aspects natally, nothing will come of a challenging aspect. I also think many times you will see an event when more than one transit is hitting the same natal planet. Uranus and Saturn seem to create events by themselves, but not always. Also, with longer transits they will aspect a planet up to 3 times with the first time not doing anything and second and third hit creating an event, usually on the second hit with the third resolving the matter. As for short transits, I have experienced events and then nothing whatsoever. It's interesting to me too why that is. I can telling you specific transits in my experience create the following: Mercury in hard aspect to Saturn, bad news of some kind; Mercury in beneficial aspect to Jupiter, good news and travel; Mer to Mars or vice verse in hard aspect is usually an argument or confrontation; Sun in hard aspect to Pluto, mini crisis; Mars in beneficial aspect to Venus, popularity from the opposite sex and possibly a sexual encounter; Mercury to Moon,Mars to Jupiter, local and long distance travel; Moon in hard aspect to Saturn, feeling down but lasting a very short time maybe minutes or an hour or two. Sorry if any of this is redundant, i didn't read every post.

PS. Try to feel better and remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I try to be thankful for little things like food in my belly and roof over my head. I have lost everything, job, life savings, retirement, home, my health, stepfather, dog has cancer, living with my mom now at 48 years old and no job prospects after 2 1/2 years of unemployment. But even so, it could be much, much worse. My friends family friends son came back from war. He lost both legs, one arm, his site, hearing, and sense of smell. Do you know what he says? "I am thankful that I have my arm so that I can still hug my wife and child."

Last edited:

Kenoshamaensa

Here are a couple of threads from a couple of years ago, during which Yods and unaspected planets were discussed in some detail ... I can really recommend "The Yod Book", by Dutch astrologer, Karen Hamaker-Zondag. I could not get my head around Yods until I'd read that book.

I have heard good things about this before (maybe from you, ha). But I've put it on my Amazon list so I don't forget about it. And thanks for the thread pointers. Read the first post/discussion, and am reading the second. Maybe comment there when done.

Something I only just noticed on your chart is that not only has your Sun/Yod apex been activated by tr Uranus. but your Saturn - one of the base planets of your Yod - has been `activated' by transiting Chiron and Neptune over quite a long period of time. This has had a dramatic effect - over a long and drawn-out time over your Saturn-ruled and Sun-ruled houses.......... i.e. your 11th & 6th houses. And there's more, but I don't want to overload you with information in this post.

Ha. Yeah, it may be that the various transits to my yod is at the root of my current emotional malaise, especially as it is not a constant thing.

Have you thought about publishing your novels on a site like lulu.com? They do print-on-demand. You could have some printed and give them away for self-publicity and see if you could get the ball rolling that way....

I have. But the problem with a site like Lulu is an oddity of the publishing industry. If one puts ANYthing on the internet where it's publicly accessible, it's considered "previously published" and (with a couple extremely rare exceptions), a publishing house won't touch it. So what seems like a good idea for publicity can actually sabotage a writer's career (and has, for a number of young writers who didn't know any better and took a page from a lot of bands).

That said, in the current era of the ebook, there are additional options. But the problem is the fine line between ebook/self-publishing and the absolutely anathema "vanity publishing" (which is largely what self-publishing WAS until somewhat recently, and with the exception of small print-runs of books with a very select, target audience ... which could cover everything from high school yearbooks to church cookbooks).

The problem is that epublishing presents both problems of *distribution* and *marketing* -- which can take money (not to mention paying for cover artwork, professional editing, because no matter how good one's grammar, we all need line editors ... even other editors!). Epublishing has become a godsend for established authors, previously published, who've had books ripped out of print by the publishers (sometimes for years). They own the copyright, and so they can set up pages to make those works available in PDF (or whatever) format for a minimal fee -- often less than they'd pay for a used copy. And ALL proceeds go to the author!

But that really takes having some sort of loyal readership, or at least a what's called a "platform," in the industry ... e.g., "Why should anybody think YOU could write this book/novel and it's be worth reading?" (Snarkily put, but that's what it amounts to ... why should a reader trust either your ability or your expertise?)

To some degree, as a prof, I actually *have* that, so I haven't completely dismissed the ebook route. But both marketing and distribution would be better if a professional publishing house took the book, at least for an author with no previous (novel) publishing credentials. Just being a Greek history prof doesn't necessarily mean I can write a "ripping good yarn" that anybody would want to read. ;> While yes, a LOT of perfectly good books never get published for reasons ranging from length and paper costs to "not what the market seems to want right now (= "we're afraid to take a risk"), and there are some mediocre books that DO get published ... the publishing industry really does act as a winnowing fan. The TRUE dreck never sees the light of day ... and there is a LOT of dreck in a publishing/agent house slushpile!

I think many people unconsciously know that, so if you say you're an author, but can't point to publications, people turn skeptical very fast (especially if they know nothing about the way the industry ACTUALLY works). "Well, if you can't get publishing, there must be a REASON for that ... you're bad!" There is a reason, but it's not always that one can't write (although for a lot of wannabe authors it IS that they can't write).

I have had similar feelings of what you are experiencing. Many astrologers believe if the two planets being aspected by transit aren't aspected natally, nothing much will come of the transit. Also, there are some who believe that whatever house/planet is involved and is aspected by nothing but positive aspects natally, nothing will come of a challenging aspect. I also think many times you will see an event when more than one transit is hitting the same natal planet. Uranus and Saturn seem to create events by themselves, but not always. Also, with longer transits they will aspect a planet up to 3 times with the first time not doing anything and second and third hit creating an event, usually on the second hit with the third resolving the matter. As for short transits, I have experienced events and then nothing whatsoever. It's interesting to me too why that is. I can telling you specific transits in my experience create the following: Mercury in hard aspect to Saturn, bad news of some kind; Mercury in beneficial aspect to Jupiter, good news and travel; Mer to Mars or vice verse in hard aspect is usually an argument or confrontation; Sun in hard aspect to Pluto, mini crisis; Mars in beneficial aspect to Venus, popularity from the opposite sex and possibly a sexual encounter; Mercury to Moon,Mars to Jupiter, local and long distance travel; Moon in hard aspect to Saturn, feeling down but lasting a very short time maybe minutes or an hour or two. Sorry if any of this is redundant, i didn't read every post.

All this is very interesting, and I've written it down for myself for future reference. Thank you.

PS. Try to feel better and remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I try to be thankful for little things like food in my belly and roof over my head. I have lost everything, job, life savings, retirement, home, my health, stepfather, dog has cancer, living with my mom now at 48 years old and no job prospects after 2 1/2 years of unemployment. But even so, it could be much, much worse. My friends family friends son came back from war. He lost both legs, one arm, his site, hearing, and sense of smell. Do you know what he says? "I am thankful that I have my arm so that I can still hug my wife and child."

And this is why I sometimes feel very guilty for ever saying anything (unless I'm just torqued off enough and my Aries Moon runs away with me). I've very aware that I REALLY have very little to complain about. I have a job, food, clothes, and a roof over my head. I have my health, I have a smart, healthy son, I live in a country where I CAN have a job and move about freely even as a woman, etc., etc. There are many, MANY things to be grateful for. I suppose sometimes my frustration stems (ironically) from having witnessed others with very little ... but they have family near them, they have a spouse, etc. My family is all scattered, I'm in a town where I have only a few friends (in part as a function of my job, ironically), I have a teen son in the "too cool to be seen with you" phase (even if he's actually a pretty good kid), and my es- dumped me like trash after 20 years of marriage.

If I've learned nothing as a bereavement counselor (before becoming a prof), it's that NO amount of success really matters if you don't matter to other people (and they don't matter to you). I think the REAL measure of our success in life isn't what awards we win or the money we make or even what we achieve (except insofar as it touches others) ... it's how many people would genuinely miss us if we weren't here? Having that love and support is the root of what therapists refer to as "resilience": the ability for some people to pick up and keep going in the face of horrific circumstance when others suffering less dire things break. One has to have a reason to live, not just a reason to stay alive.

Vista

Hi Kay,
I think I have a better understanding of what you are going through. I have gone through very similar feelings and have actually thought to myself "I wonder how many people would actually come to my funeral?" I have sometimes felt I don't have much meaning in people's lives, certainly not my family. I don't have any siblings, and no husband of children. I get what you are saying wholeheartedly. Have you ever heard of meetup.com? It's site where people start their own groups on whatever interests them. It could be anything from sailing, to happy hour, board games, to knitting, just whatever someone likes to do and then people can join the group. The organizer then plans events around the group topic and people can go and best of all, it's free. Anyway, this site completely changed my life. I moved to an area where I didn't have any friends. I ended up meeting an entire network of people and actually don't do a lot with meetup any longer because i have so many events I can go to with friends that my social life is very full. You might want to take a look at it and put in the search whatever you like to do. Going to the first meetup is the hardest, but one meetup leads to another I always say!! I hope you feel better soon.

Rushwing

I really want to reiterate my belief that venus and mars transits are actually more like tools you can use if you want rather than things that dominate your emotions. They are inner planets, and therefore, IMHO affect more the physical plane than the higher vibrations.

Also I can not enforce how strongly I do not believe that aspects have anything to do with "how you feel" beyond certain things may trigger you, but what you tend to focus on, in the long run, is your decision.

I don't think you are a dour person. In fact from your writing and the most basic things I can see, you problem has to do with PARTICULARS.

If things don't fit how you want them PARTICULARLY, it is something you will work very hard to figure out, until you get it figured out, which is something of a talent actually.

If you are upset with the quality of your life, that is something the venus aspect will make you feel EVEN MORE SO, because VENUS is the QUEEN B*TCH in you. The one that wants to be pampered in a certain way.

If you are not able to give yourself the pampering you desire, your venus will act up like a bad case of PMS. You will crave those things EVEN MORE and if you can't have them, IT'S REALLY NOT FUN.

I really wish I could remember the title of that book (a friends of mine) that was ALL about ACTIVATING YOUR VENUS.

What is your venus in BTW? :kissing: