How we will all be spied upon by CIA and others

Sweet Pea

Slowly but surely, all our gadgets will contain monitoring devices that feed info back to "whoever"......then our gadgets will all join up and lo! our entire lives will be viewable by the authorities. Very spooky. Makes me want to go and switch everything off right now! I liked the commenter who put "I think my toaster is on to me". That's the trouble, even the most innocuous of electrical items in our homes will be wired into the system. Grrrr.....

The CIA wants to spy on you through your TV: Agency director says it will 'transform' surveillance

• Devices connected to internet leak information
  • CIA director says these gadgets will 'transform clandestine tradecraft'
  • Spies could watch thousands via supercomputers
  • People 'bug' their own homes with web-connected devices

By Rob Waugh
PUBLISHED: 13:20, 16 March 2012 | UPDATED: 13:55, 16 March 2012
When people download a film from Netflix to a flatscreen, or turn on web radio, they could be alerting unwanted watchers to exactly what they are doing and where they are.

Spies will no longer have to plant bugs in your home - the rise of 'connected' gadgets controlled by apps will mean that people 'bug' their own homes, says CIA director David Petraeus.

The CIA claims it will be able to 'read' these devices via the internet - and perhaps even via radio waves from outside the home.

article-2115871-0B972D5F000005DC-629_634x413.jpg
A Sony internet TV: The rise of 'connected' devices in the home offers spies a window into people's lives - CIA director David Petraeus says the technologies will 'transform' surveillance

article-2115871-0DBCE3C500000578-208_306x423.jpg
General David Petraeus, former head of the allied forces in Afghanistan, is sworn in as the next director of the Central Intelligence Agency on September 6, 2011 in the White House

Everything from remote controls to clock radios can now be controlled via apps - and chip company ARM recently unveiled low-powered, cheaper chips which will be used in everything from fridges and ovens to doorbells.

The resultant chorus of 'connected' gadgets will be able to be read like a book - and even remote-controlled, according to CIA CIA Director David Petraeus, according to a recent report by Wired's 'Danger Room' blog.

Petraeus says that web-connected gadgets will 'transform' the art of spying - allowing spies to monitor people automatically without planting bugs, breaking and entering or even donning a tuxedo to infiltrate a dinner party.

'Transformational’ is an overused word, but I do believe it properly applies to these technologies,' said Petraeus.
'Particularly to their effect on clandestine tradecraft. Items of interest will be located, identified, monitored, and remotely controlled through technologies such as radio-frequency identification, sensor networks, tiny embedded servers, and energy harvesters - all connected to the next-generation internet using abundant, low-cost, and high-power computing.'

Petraeus was speaking to a venture capital firm about new technologies which aim to add processors and web connections to previously 'dumb' home appliances such as fridges, ovens and lighting systems.
This week, one of the world's biggest chip companies, ARM, has unveiled a new processor built to work inside 'connected' white goods.

The ARM chips are smaller, lower-powered and far cheaper than previous processors - and designed to add the internet to almost every kind of electrical appliance.

It's a concept described as the 'internet of things'.

article-2115871-0C6A4C4D000005DC-974_634x332.jpg
The murderous computer Hal in 2001: But it seems that the danger of computers isn't villainous artificial intelligence - but the information they 'leak' about us

Futurists think that one day 'connected' devices will tell the internet where they are and what they are doing at all times - and will be mapped by computers as precisely as Google Maps charts the physical landscape now.

Privacy groups such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation have warned of how information such as geolocation data can be misused - but as more and more devices connect, it's clear that opportunities for surveillance will multiply.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ets-transform-surveillance.html#ixzz1pNTL9ejd

Ixaee

Well... why would anyone be worried over this unless they have something to hide?

They can watch me anytime they want --- I'd quite like the extra protection of a bunch of cute, secret intelligence agents watching me every now and again :wink:

MaeMae

Banned
that's an interesting response ixaeea.
i wonder if you put a lot of thought into that statement?
as for me, one who doesn't trust government, i am amazed at the high tech/sneaky dealings of us gov't agencies that chip by chip, erase our constitutional rights to privacy of home and beliefs. it shows me that gov't isn't at all interested in its citizens constitutional rights.

Ixaee

that's an interesting response ixaeea.
i wonder if you put a lot of thought into that statement?
as for me, one who doesn't trust government, i am amazed at the high tech/sneaky dealings of us gov't agencies that chip by chip, erase our constitutional rights to privacy of home and beliefs. it shows me that gov't isn't at all interested in its citizens constitutional rights.

Of course I did... I have personally researched government conspiracy for years and years, bound and determined to find the "truth" -- but then, it hit me;

There is nothing under this sky that could possibly do me greater harm than I could do to myself.

Living a life of suspicion and stress, seeking out hidden agendas is far more harmful to myself than living a life of peace. My mind has changed, I have changed, and now I vow to exist optimistically...

There comes a time where you must grow beyond hatred, suspicion and vengeance................ or die.

Which sounds more appealing to you?

Last edited:

Zonark

Well... why would anyone be worried over this unless they have something to hide?

They can watch me anytime they want --- I'd quite like the extra protection of a bunch of cute, secret intelligence agents watching me every now and again :wink:

You never know what you have to hide until you're targeted for it. Did the Jews in Nazi Germany ever think they would need to hide their ancestry?

Don't sexualize this. That's one of the prime ways the proponents of measures such as these make it acceptable and even desirable to the general populace.

This issue is not something to joke about. The Pentagon has extensive lists of 'undesirables', people who they consider 'threats' simply because of things as petty as their internet searches, their beliefs, their online comments and so on. Technofascism and the irrational paranoia that fuels it is not your friend.

Zonark

Of course I did... I have personally researched government conspiracy for years and years, bound and determined to find the "truth" -- but then, it hit me;

There is nothing under this sky that could possibly do me greater harm than I could do to myself.

Living a life of suspicion and stress, seeking out hidden agendas is far more harmful to myself than living a life of peace. My mind has changed, I have changed, and now I vow to exist optimistically...

There comes a time where you must grow beyond hatred, suspicion and vengeance................ or die.

Which sounds more appealing to you?

I disagree, there are multiple things in this vast Universe that could harm you in ways far greater than you could yourself. Thinking that you are your own Alpha and Omega is a most insidious trick of the ego to lull you into complacence. While it is wonderful to live optimistically and not become a victim of paranoia yourself, it is also totally possible and feasible to remain aware and disapproving of these sorts of technological imperatives without compromising your emotional stability. It is a finer line to walk than willful ignorance or raving paranoia, but the rewards are far greater.

The threat is real, unfortunately. That does not give cause for paranoia, but it certainly gives cause for rational people to take a stand against this insidious technology and to find solutions to its intrusiveness.

Ixaee

I disagree, there are multiple things in this vast Universe that could harm you in ways far greater than you could yourself. Thinking that you are your own Alpha and Omega is a most insidious trick of the ego to lull you into complacence.

On the contrary, we have greater power within us than most people ever realize.

Our thoughts / ideas / focus becomes solidified into our lives.

Im aware of whats going on, and of the common ideas of what others believe are going on, but I chose not to focus on it.. thats the only difference.

"Willful ignorance" as you see it.. is simply me taking responsibility for my own life through focus. What you feed will grow...

If we feed conspiracy, or believe that threats abound, then we will see them everywhere we step.

Feed beauty, and you become so full within that you cant help but to attract it everywhere you venture..

In the end, our life is a choice... and the responsibility to create it rests only in our hands.........

Zonark

Had you rather I stress myself into a heart-attack instead?

Keep your own nose clean and you'll have nothing to worry about...... that goes for everyone.

No, I'd rather you just take history and the imperfections of government agents into account when considering these issues.

I reiterate the overused yet most fitting example of Nazi Germany in response to your assertion that "keeping your own nose clean" is ever a real solution to fascism. The men and women who participate in such power plays care little for just and rational action. Instead their newfound power becomes subject to their own egoic complexities and irrational emotional imperatives. Lest we forget the lessons of history, the human folly that Plutonically transformed Hitler's illogical hatred of the Jews and other targeted members of society into a most horrendous genocide will manifest again. This is not something to panic over, it is a sad fact of the nature of power coupled with all too human imperfections.

MaeMae

Banned
A good lesson in gov't spying ~
google Brandon Mayfield, Attorney, Portland OR
He was targeted as a terrorist, accused of participating in bombing of a Spanish train. His house was bugged, his family followed by agents. He was arrested and held for sometime. The gov't had nothing evidenciary but suspicion.
Mayfield was released, no charges were filed and he successfully won a lawsuit against united states for violating his and his family's constitutional rights. by the time all was said and done, it was all sweeped under rug, news stories mentioned it as an anomoly.
If it can happen to someone like him, it could hapoen to ANY of us. As OP has pointed out ~ there is no stone unturnable.
Ixeeea, ask yourself this ~
if you were in your home, conversing with friends about political or social beliefs, and then one day you discover you are on a dissident list, you are arrested and labeled an insurgent, locked up without due process and then your friends follow you into to jail just for knowing you.
Don't think it's not possible.
A private thought could be considered "something to hide."
anway ~ maybe read up on eugene mc carthy, too. he is behind the term "mc carthy'ism."
then of course there's good old hitler, franco, mussolini as well as others.
No one is safe in times of fascism.
Only those who sell their soul to powers that be are ever excluded ~ but even then, suspicion can arise and they find themself under the interregation light.
Hurts me to see such flippancy about something
so important.
Or maybe it's just not important to some.

Zonark

On the contrary, we have greater power within us than most people ever realize.

Our thoughts / ideas / focus becomes solidified into our lives.

Im aware of whats going on, and of the common ideas of what others believe are going on, but I chose not to focus on it.. thats the only difference.

"Willful ignorance" as you see it.. is simply me taking responsibility for my own life through focus. What you feed will grow...

If we feed conspiracy, or believe that threats abound, then we will see them everywhere we step.

Feed beauty, and you become so full within that you cant help but to attract it everywhere you venture..

In the end, our life is a choice... and the responsibility to create it rests only in our hands.........

That's true to a degree, but it's subject to degrees of intrusiveness where this technology is concerned. Once it begins invading your life and targeting you for whatever reason.

Say the religion of the near future is a sort of Scientific Dogmaticism that eschews the realm of the occult and deems its enthusiasts as social miscreants which must be kept track of and perhaps exterminated for the public good. This isn't a farfetched possibility, I've heard many pompous enthusiasts of scientific reductionism make the very suggestion with unnerving vigor and blood lust. These are things to be aware of, possibilities which will intrude into your reality in harsher ways the longer they are ignored.

If you choose not to focus on it, what are you doing here? Perhaps you are more of a warrior than you care to admit :ninja:

Ixaee

Say the religion of the near future is a sort of Scientific Dogmaticism that eschews the realm of the occult and deems its enthusiasts as social miscreants which must be kept track of and perhaps exterminated for the public good. This isn't a farfetched possibility, I've heard many pompous enthusiasts of scientific reductionism make the very suggestion with unnerving vigor and blood lust.

Most writers involved in the conspiracy fields have a very deep rooted fear of censorship, and it spills out into their warnings and writings....

Fear is also what gets most people hooked onto researching conspiracy too.. that surge of adrenaline we feel washing over ourselves as we're reading about the many things attempting to limit us.. (we all feel it because it taps into our primitive survival needs).

And fear is such a powerful emotion that it can spawn events where they are face-to-face with the very thing that they fear. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy..

Its irony, really.. like the man who is so convinced into believing that everyone is plotting against him, so it causes him to behave in a very defensive way -- going so far to even begin attacking others (or the government) for what he feels! Which, of course, causes them to become blatant enemies in return (as no one likes to be attacked for nothing). Then.... he really does have others plotting against him.

By fearing censorship, or someone coming to take them down, they're losing immense power... our inner worlds are so subtle, but the very core of all of creation; which should be embraced and harnessed into our betterment (------ not, instead, unknowingly used as an instrument of our own demise).

If you choose not to focus on it, what are you doing here? Perhaps you are more of a warrior than you care to admit :ninja:

Im a warrior of a different breed......... :alien:

:biggrin:

Zonark

Most writers involved in the conspiracy fields have a very deep rooted fear of censorship, and it spills out into their warnings and writings....

Fear is also what gets most people hooked onto researching conspiracy too.. that surge of adrenaline we feel washing over ourselves as we're reading about the many things attempting to limit us.. (we all feel it because it taps into our primitive survival needs).

And fear is such a powerful emotion that it can spawn events where they are face-to-face with the very thing that they fear. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy..

Its irony, really.. like the man who is so convinced into believing that everyone is plotting against him, so it causes him to behave in a very defensive way -- going so far to even begin attacking others (or the government) for what he feels! Which, of course, causes them to become blatant enemies in return (as no one likes to be attacked for nothing). Then.... he really does have others plotting against him.

By fearing censorship, or someone coming to take them down, they're losing immense power... our inner worlds are so subtle, but the very core of all of creation; which should be embraced and harnessed into our betterment (------ not, instead, unknowingly used as an instrument of our own demise).

Im a warrior of a different breed......... :alien:

:biggrin:

While being overly fearful is a terrible thing, censorship and unethical spying are real problems. Better to come face to face with potential problems now, than to let them fester for later to the extent that they become unmanageable. As it is they're already nearly unmanageable and the powers the military industrial complex have accrued are quite extensive. The arbiters of this power have demonstrated consistently that they are interested only in the acquisition of more power. It's not going to be used ethically or intelligently due to human error. So you have this massive technological behemoth operating on the very thing you're railing against (fear) and no real objective other than its own survival.

Of course, there are things about all of this that are going to make sure there's a balance. I had a dream last night, was standing on a sandbar in the Gulf of Oman amongst an Army platoon organizing battlefield operations preparing to invade Iran. There was already a fair amount of aerial and naval crossfire and billowing black smoke plumes littered the horizon in every direction. So much energy going into all that strife. I turned to the highest ranking officer there and said "so what happens when all the oil runs out?" The look on his face was priceless.

Rebel Uranian

Just because you have to hide something doesn't make it bad. If I did something wrong, I could fight to death over it in the open. But I might just like my space.

They won't be the only ones watching you.

waybread

Cheer up, paranoid people! Somebody else (like the Chinese or the Russians) will be monitoring the CIA's data base. Not to mention hackers.

But since the Mayan Calendar proves that the world as we know it is going to expire by Christmas this year, we don't have much to worry about from Big Brother.

MaeMae

Banned
Ruby Ridge is a good example of criminalizing beliefs.
When Randy Weaver refused to testify ~ likely on 5th Amendment rights, the US Gov't charged him with weapon's charges and then put satellite and local surveillance on him until the rued April day....
oh, and that little Waco, Texas....
The suspicion of harm is enough for US Gov't to do anything they want.
Harm can be an ideology, a belief, a religion, a lifestyle, a questioning.
History crammed with events filled of this stuff.
Zonark is young and understands the implications.
Others laugh.
Others act bulletproof.
Not me.
The less the giant monster knows about me, the better.
A friend told me they are putting gps chips in passports. For "our safety."
10 % Safety. 90% Control.
Oh! I know!!!! lets only give jobs to sexy politicians and sycophant judicials and enforcement ~ then all the pablum-fed-trice sheep, lacking in critical thinking skills can think of what hot outfit to wear when the come and watch ~
or better yet, the insolent and ignorant gawkers can stand on their pillars of folly and ignorance while the ground sinks beneath them.
Uggh and pardon my impatience with stupidity.

Anachiel

...Oh! I know!!!! lets only give jobs to sexy politicians and sycophant judicials and enforcement ~ then all the pablum-fed-trice sheep, lacking in critical thinking skills can think of what hot outfit to wear when the come and watch ~
or better yet, the insolent and ignorant gawkers can stand on their pillars of folly and ignorance while the ground sinks beneath them.

ROFLMAO! No kidding! I know how you meant this MaeMae but, that is truly a priceless quote. I love it!

Ixaee

While being overly fearful is a terrible thing, censorship and unethical spying are real problems. Better to come face to face with potential problems now, than to let them fester for later to the extent that they become unmanageable. As it is they're already nearly unmanageable and the powers the military industrial complex have accrued are quite extensive. The arbiters of this power have demonstrated consistently that they are interested only in the acquisition of more power. It's not going to be used ethically or intelligently due to human error. So you have this massive technological behemoth operating on the very thing you're railing against (fear) and no real objective other than its own survival.

Of course, there are things about all of this that are going to make sure there's a balance. I had a dream last night, was standing on a sandbar in the Gulf of Oman amongst an Army platoon organizing battlefield operations preparing to invade Iran. There was already a fair amount of aerial and naval crossfire and billowing black smoke plumes littered the horizon in every direction. So much energy going into all that strife. I turned to the highest ranking officer there and said "so what happens when all the oil runs out?" The look on his face was priceless.

So.. the question is; what steps will you take to rectify it?

Will fighting and pushing your way through help anything at all? Or would it only cause more mayhem?