Criticla degrees?

vanila

Hi people,

what does it mean if you have many house cusps and 2 planets on critical degrees.....the critical degrees in the cardinal, fixed and mutable signs?

And is it necessary the degrees to be exact(example: 22''39 or 22''00)?..and more...:biggrin: how to find the hyleg:)sun::moon: or AC)in someone's chart, what are the rules?
And what are about this critical degrees in general?.....Please.....
Many questions.....:unsure:..brrr....my head is full of questions.....

These are important things and they have strong influence in the chart and life, don't they?

:sad:

[Thread is better off here as it deals with questions about natal placements, cusps etc. Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

starlink

what does it mean if you have many house cusps

What do you mean Vanilla? We all have the same amount of housecusps, 12 in total. But according to the different house systems, some are of different proportions. Sometimes you will find one whole sign intercepted inside one house as well.
The most used house systems are : Placidus in modern astrology as well as Equal House system, and Whole Sign system and Regiomontanus in more traditional astrology as far as I have seen.

Critical degrees are the following:

Cardinal signs: 0°, 13° and 26°
Fixed signs : 9° and 21°
Mutable : 4° and 17°

In horary astrology 0° and 29° of any sign is considered critical because these planets are about to change or have just changed into another sign.
It literally means that critical situations could present themselves when these points are transited by other planets, especially when squared or opposed.

In horary astrology the degrees and minutes are very important. In natal astrology less, unless you are extremely good at Solar Arc directions and can pin-point out a special week in a month, using the minutes.

These are important things and they have strong influence in the chart and life, don't they?

These are thing to note when doing a chart, especially a horary chart.

I will find a link for you explaining the hyleg.

starlink

Glossary of Traditional Astrological Terms - Hyleg

tag.png
trashcan_small.gif
sticky.gif
Sticky: Starting out with astrology-The Basics

I thought that this would also be helpful to you. Are you interested in modern or traditional natal astrology? There is a lot of difference between those two. Horary astrology is totally based on traditional.

Last edited:

Vista

What do you mean Vanilla? We all have the same amount of housecusps, 12 in total. But according to the different house systems, some are of different proportions. Sometimes you will find one whole sign intercepted inside one house as well.
The most used house systems are : Placidus in modern astrology as well as Equal House system, and Whole Sign system and Regiomontanus in more traditional astrology as far as I have seen.

Critical degrees are the following:

Cardinal signs: 0°, 13° and 26°
Fixed signs : 9° and 21°
Mutable : 4° and 17°

In horary astrology 0° and 29° of any sign is considered critical because these planets are about to change or have just changed into another sign.
It literally means that critical situations could present themselves when these points are transited by other planets, especially when squared or opposed.

In horary astrology the degrees and minutes are very important. In natal astrology less, unless you are extremely good at Solar Arc directions and can pin-point out a special week in a month, using the minutes.

These are thing to note when doing a chart, especially a horary chart.

I will find a link for you explaining the hyleg.

I thought 18 degrees was a critical degree for Cardinal too? Is that wrong?

starlink

Vista, I have not heard of 18° Cardinal. I got the above list from Karen Hamaker's book. She does not mention this degree.

piscesascendant

The critical degrees are created out of the Moon's daily mean motion, which is of course 13 degrees 20 minutes.

1, 13, 26 cardinal
8 1/2, 21 1/2 fixed
4, 17 mutable
.............Planets on those degrees are the only ones I will note in any given nativity. I will not consider it important if it is farther than 1 degree from its perfect critical degree.

I have my Aquarius Sun at 21 degrees 11 minutes (12th house). My Cancer Saturn is at 12 degrees 51 minutes (on my 5th house cusp). My ascendant (not sure if an angle counts) is at 16 degrees 30 minutes Pisces (with my descendant at 16 degrees 30 minutes Virgo).

starlink

1, cardinal
Joseph, you then round of any minutes? Like 0° 17' becomes 1°.

I think the 1/2 degrees you mentioned are from traditional astrology? first time I see that. Will keep it in mind.

vanila

Thank you all,

I asked because I have Mercury on 26'45 Cancer...and few other planets that are near these critical degrees.....
I can't find much info about all this in the net and everything is not clear........there is no info about the difference between modern and traditional natal astrology.....
I want to learn more........
May be I'm trying to figure out many question .......but it will take more time......I'll keep searching .........
You gave me very useful info....Thank you....

:)

Claire19

Hello there

In my considered opinion critical degrees have no other validity other than the aspects that may be made between planets. I dont understand where the 22 critical degree thing originates. I think there are too many complicated theories that people seem to dream up quite frankly. Keep a complicated art and science that is astrology as simple as possible I say. I use only major aspects and major planets. Some use CHiron and I dont dismiss it but dont pay a lot of attention to it. It is not after all a planet and really we are not sure what kind of body it actually is.

Cheers
:happy:

Claire19

Try skyscript.co.uk in the articles section - you'll find both tradtional and modern, but usually the articles will tell you which one - or you can work it out.

They have a nice horary tutorial that's trad, and a lot of good stuff on the traditional houses and rulerships. The delineation of aspects articles are modern - the use of the outer planets kind of gives it away. But you can see easily enough that a Sun - Pluto aspect wouldn't be trad, anyway.

You'll find loads of historical articles, as well as a lot of aphorisms, and check out the texts page - which has links to all kinds of old texts that are in the public domain.

I think we must remember that the outer planets are only recently rediscovered by modern humanity and that the ancients in some cultures knew of their existence plus others that we have not recognised yet I would hazard a guess. Virgo has yet to have its proper ruler and I think Taurus may belong to Earth.....THey may have called the outer planets by different names but they knew of them. This information may have been somewhat lost in the annals of time along the way after major cataclysms etc and we have had to largely start again in some ways with astrological knowledge etc.

Last edited:

Claire19

I have my Aquarius Sun at 21 degrees 11 minutes (12th house). My Cancer Saturn is at 12 degrees 51 minutes (on my 5th house cusp). My ascendant (not sure if an angle counts) is at 16 degrees 30 minutes Pisces (with my descendant at 16 degrees 30 minutes Virgo).
I think you make a huge mistake by using only what you call the critical degrees of a planet in a chart if I understand u right. What if a nativity does not have these critical degrees???

Every aspect has to be taken on its own merits regardless of the number of the degree. On what do you base the validity of this theory? I am interested to know as I have been into astrology for many many years and dont give much credence to the so called critical degrees. I am interested to hear your arguments.