Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Welcome! > Recommendations

Recommendations Looking for advice and suggestions on books, websites, programs, professionals, organizations, or anything else related to astrology? Ask and share your opinions here.

Unread 05-21-2012, 02:24 AM

Re: Astrology Book Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanw333 View Post
"Horoscope symbols" by Robert Hand...the greatest book ever written on Astrology!
Thanks! I have ordered a few books by Robert Hand and just added this one!

One Symbol tells more than a thousand words than a thousand words.

“I believe there is something of the divine mystery in everything that exists. We can see it sparkle in a sunflower or a poppy. We sense more of the unfathomable mystery in a butterfly that flutters from a twig--or in a goldfish swimming in a bowl. But we are closest to God in our own soul. Only there can we become one with the greatest mystery of life. In truth, at very rare moments we can experience that we ourselves are that divine mystery.” --Jostein Gaarder, Sophie's World
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:15 AM

"Astrology, Nutrition & Health" by Robert Carl Jansky

Stated the following:

"Astrology has been on the scene for over 4000 years; modern medical practice had its origin less than 100 years old; and nutrition is barely 50 years old."

The origin of modern medicine- Ancient Herbalism was based on the understandings of planetary rulership, energies to human organs, body parts and representive herbs. Chinese medicine is fully based on the understandings of 5 elements and Yin/Yang. Occults, to consider development of the modern medicine, in my opinion is the Father of modern sciences.

"...when we as astrologers spot a potential health problem in a client's chart, we can advise the client to seek professional attention for that problem. Thus the astrologer does not have to be considered as an adversary by doctors but as someone who assists the therapist in hi major job, the prevention and treatment of disease."

"In order for astrologers to fulfill this function, we must become familiar with the anatomy and physiology of the body as well as with the basic symbolism of medical astrology."

This is a Great Book!!!!!!

Last edited by poyi; 05-27-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:46 AM

"The Principles of Astrology: Intermediate Astrology Book I", by Charles E.O. Carter

"Some Principles of Horoscope Delineation: Intermediate Astrology Book II", by Charles E.O. Carter

These books are easy to read and to the points also cover many interesting areas of astrology delineation such as signs and houses in details, physical health, intellegent, typical appearances by signs, characters, destiny, Horary and Electrional horoscope; the second book covers planetary psychology, infant mortality and longevity, suicide and insanity, violence criminal, outstanding ability and failure and directional delineation such as death.

It also provides 14 actual horoscope to examine the above interesting areas of astrology.

Really great astrology classics and the author didn't write any rubbish, simple, clear and right to the points, pleasant to read.
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyi View Post
"The Principles of Astrology: Intermediate Astrology Book I", by Charles E.O. Carter

"Some Principles of Horoscope Delineation: Intermediate Astrology Book II", by Charles E.O. Carter

These books are easy to read and to the points also cover many interesting areas of astrology delineation such as signs and houses in details, physical health, intellegent, typical appearances by signs, characters, destiny, Horary and Electrional horoscope; the second book covers planetary psychology, infant mortality and longevity, suicide and insanity, violence criminal, outstanding ability and failure and directional delineation such as death.

It also provides 14 actual horoscope to examine the above interesting areas of astrology.

Really great astrology classics and the author didn't write any rubbish, simple, clear and right to the points, pleasant to read.

I also have often recommended these books for beginners; I'll add 2 more Carter books to those mentioned above:
-"The Astrological Aspects"
-"Encyclopedia of Psychological Astrology"

I'll further mention Carter's intriguing "The Zodiac and the Soul"
-For a summary type book, for quick references, try Manly P. Hall's "Astrological Keywords"...
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:25 PM

My favourite. The Astrologers Handbook by Sakoian. Written in the 1970's but for me still the best book around. Simple and clearly laid out. It appeals to my Virgo sense of order.

http://www.myastrologycharts.com
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk View Post
My favourite. The Astrologers Handbook by Sakoian. Written in the 1970's but for me still the best book around. Simple and clearly laid out. It appeals to my Virgo sense of order.

http://www.myastrologycharts.com
I still think The Astrologer's Handbook (don't forget co-author Louis Acker) is excellent for "nuts & bolts" astrology of the more pragmatic (as distinct from the psychoanalytical) type. It seems to fall somewhere in between the empiricism of the traditionalists and the more theoretical paradigm-busting of the New Age revisionists. Although I haven't been a beginner for decades, I just ordered Carter's "Principles of Astrology" and Robson's "A Student's Textbook of Astrology," since I continue to benefit from frequent reinforcement of the basics. I will probably follow up with Magaret Hone at some point. At the other end of the spectrum (sort of), I'm now reading "The General Principles of Astrology," which is a reconfiguration of the two books Aleister Crowley produced as ghost-writer for Evangeline Adams ("Astrology, Your Place in the Sun" and "Astrology, Your Place Among the Stars"), presented in a single volume in the order Crowley's surviving manuscripts (unfortunately not the final versions) intended. His signature writing style (and infamous attitude) is unmistakeable, and his astrology seems solid (somewhat to my surprise since his credited output always seemed a bit light on it).

ETA: I also get a lot of use out of "Astrology: The Divine Science," a massive tome by Marcia Moore and Mark Douglas (who still lives here in New Hampshire), that I think is no longer in print.

Last edited by Zaphod; 07-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Unread 07-17-2012, 01:53 PM

Must have references and textbooks.

Lilly's books also cover predictions for weather, appearance as in person, when asking questions regarding to health meaning of each planet and relation in houses etc, representations of each of planet in countries, years, weeks, herbs, plants, tree, beasts, birds, fishes, places, metals, minerals, stones....

The Horary Textbook, yes it is THE TEXTBOOK for people want to learn western Horary. Should be read together with Lilly's classics.

Key Words of Astrology, is a compact, pleasure to read, a very well written book that covers Keywords, easy to remember in table form, for learners to build solid foundation for astrology. Is a Manual of of how to for Western Astrology.

"The Horary Textbook", by John Frawley

"Christian Astrology", by William Lilly (Book One, Two and Three)

"Key Words for Astrology", Hajo Banzhaf & Anna Haebler
“I believe there is something of the divine mystery in everything that exists. We can see it sparkle in a sunflower or a poppy. We sense more of the unfathomable mystery in a butterfly that flutters from a twig--or in a goldfish swimming in a bowl. But we are closest to God in our own soul. Only there can we become one with the greatest mystery of life. In truth, at very rare moments we can experience that we ourselves are that divine mystery.” --Jostein Gaarder, Sophie's World
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Fixed Stars book by Diana Rosenberg

All,

Diana Rosenberg, who recently died, put out a "definitive" two volume set of fixed stars and other cosmic objects. This reference might be useful for those who are interested in non-planetary objects:
http://ye-stars.com/WP/

Fixedly,

Tim
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Re: Fixed Stars book by Diana Rosenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontc View Post
All,

Diana Rosenberg, who recently died, put out a "definitive" two volume set of fixed stars and other cosmic objects. This reference might be useful for those who are interested in non-planetary objects:
http://ye-stars.com/WP/

Fixedly,

Tim
Thanks for the tip. Does she update or replace Robson and Brady, or just augment them? I'd be interested if she extrapolates from a traditional perspective. Will go have a look.
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM

I recommend:

"The Astrological Body Types Face Form and Expression" - Revised and Expanded Edition by Judith A Hill

The following is a 99 word bio extract sourced from
http://www.judithhillastrology.com/bio

QUOTE:

"Judith Hill is a life time, second generational astrologer/award winning author and has performed over 6000 in depth personal readings and is proficient in Classical Western Astrology including: Vocation, Location, Medical, Natal, Transit-Progressed, Spiritual, Comparative Analysis, Electional (selecting dates for important life events); Gem Selection; Fertility Dating and Horary Astrology. Her consulting experience is vast, having read for men and women of most nations, ages and professions. She successfully matched five charts to five biographies in 1989 NCGR sponsored skeptics’ challenge and in 1999 was awarded the Paul R. Grell 'Best Book Award' from American Federation of Astrologers"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Comprehensive, to Zaphod

Zaphod,

You asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Thanks for the tip. Does she update or replace Robson and Brady, or just augment them?
My impression that it was her life goal to create a comprehensive listing, a "one stop shopping" book for fixed stars and other cosmic objects. The book has gotten some good reviews and is one of the few comprehensive works I've heard about on the subject.

Comprehensively,

Tim
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyi View Post
Must have references and textbooks.
I recommend SCHULMAN'S 2 books on Karma, and Reincarnation and Nodes
and many of Rudhyar's book (as the Sabian symbols) - also "Soul of Stars" On Kindle Amazon reader (About Solar and Sol Astrology)
Unread 07-21-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneagle7 View Post
I recommend SCHULMAN'S 2 books on Karma, and Reincarnation and Nodes
and many of Rudhyar's book (as the Sabian symbols) - also "Soul of Stars" On Kindle Amazon reader (About Solar and Sol Astrology)
lol I have a few of Schulman's books already
Unread 11-20-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
Anything by Liz Greene
Howard Saportas who has sadly passed away left a wonderful legacy of magnificant books on his own & with Liz.
Start with them & you will be amazed.
I agree.

Also Martin Schulman's book on Reincarnation and the Nodes.
You dont need text books these days of course but there are a few good books that can be referred to always.
Robert Hands' books Planets in Composite and Planets in Transit. Frances Sakoian and Louis Ackerman Predictive Astrology.
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Account Closed

Re: Comprehensive, to Zaphod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsontc View Post
Zaphod,

You asked:

My impression that it was her life goal to create a comprehensive listing, a "one stop shopping" book for fixed stars and other cosmic objects. The book has gotten some good reviews and is one of the few comprehensive works I've heard about on the subject.

Comprehensively,

Tim
The only problem is that you actually have purchase those volumes. Good as they are Anne Wright's website is just as good and is free:

http://www.constellationsofwords.com/
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
.....is just as good and is free
Original ancient astrological techniques practiced and chronicled by working astrologer Vettius Valens almost two thousand years ago include the Hellenistic Solar Return, profections, how to calculate MC and ASC, the combinations of stars and much more ALL FREE translated by professor Riley at http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM

What do you all think of Linda Goodman's astrology books? I looked through her sun signs book a few times and had a bit of a hard time relating to it because it was published so long ago. At the same time, though, there were some reasonably good points- especially since I am a novice and looking for good 101 books. It's just that, I don't know how seriously I could take her books and wonder if anyone has looked through more of them (or looked in a more in-depth way) and has an opinion on them.
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:33 AM

They are rather generalized and light-weight, which is fine for a superficial examination from a Modernist perspective (albeit a rather surface level Modernist perspective) However, far better introductions exist for those wishing to make a more serious study of this subject. The Goodman books, however, do contain some valuable insights, and there are certainly worse books around than hers!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dr. farr For This Useful Post:
Silversong (01-30-2013)
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Hi,

Here is a list of books I added to my personal library during last one and half year.

1. Predicting Events with Astrology -------------------------------- Celeste Teal
  2. The Principles of astrology -------------------------------------- C E O Carter
  3. Some more Prinicples of Horoscope Delineation----------------- C E O Carter
  4. Applied Cosmobiology ------------------------------------------ Ebertin
  5. Aspects in Astrology -------------------------------------------- Sue Tompkins
  6. Delineation of Progression ---------------------------------------Sophia Mason
  7. The Progressed Horoscope Simplified-------------------------- - Milburn
  8. Solar Arc --------------------------------------------------------Noey Tyl
  9. Now I cast it ---------------------------------------------------- Maxine
  10. COSI------------------------------------------------------------ Ebertin
  11. Encyclopediaof psychological Astrology --------------------------C E O Carter
  12. Forecasting Life Events An Art of Predictive Astrology ---------- Carol Rushman
  13. Dynamic Astrology ---------------------------------------------- John Townley,
  14. Astrology of Death -----------------------------------------------Richard Houck
  15. Digital Astrology -------------------------------------------------Richard Houck
  16. Working with Astrology ------------------------------------------Hasting / Harvey
  17. The New Solar Return Book of Prediction------------------------Raymond Merriman
  18. Secondary Progressions: Time to Remember ---------------------Nancy Anne Hastings
  19. Cosmobiology for the 21st Century ----------------------------- Eleonora Kimmel
  20. Planet In Transit -------------------------------------------------Robert Hand
  21. DirectionsCo-Determinate ---------------------------------------Ebertin
  22. Astrological Healing --------------------------------------------- Ebertin
  23. Astrological Aspects -------------------------------------------- C E O Carter
  24. The Round Art: Astrology of Time and Space ------------------- A. T. Mann
  25. Simplified Horary Astrology -------------------------------------Ivy M Goldstein-Jacobson
  26. Text book of Horary Astrology---------------------------------- John Frwaley
  27. In the Beginning Astrology -------------------------------------- Ivy M Goldstein-Jacobson
  28. Harmonic charts ------------------------------------------------ David Hamblin
  29. Transits and Solar returns --------------------------------------- Ciro Discepolo
  30. A New Vision Of Astrology------------------------------------- A T Mann

Hope this helps.

Unread 12-16-2013, 05:17 AM

Mostly free ebooks on Google Play
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:17 AM

Truly a great book but I was too stupid to pay for a printed copy then later found a free PDF!!!!!!!!!!! So here you go to save your money!

Ancient Astrology Theory and Practice Matheseos Libri VIII Firmicus Maternus

http://www.astrologiahumana.com/firm...ndpractice.pdf

Printed copy on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Astrol.../dp/1933303107
Unread 01-20-2014, 03:15 AM

It might have been featured in an earlier list, but I wanted to make a rec for Robert Hand's "Planets in Youth".

Even though it's technically a 'cookbook' (I prefer to call them "all-purpose instruction manuals" because its funnier) he still actually tries to speak to the way people might experience and express different placements and aspects, rather than just saying "this is you- and here's what I have to say about that".

As someone with a Mercury-Mars square who is often preemptively accused of being verbally aggressive or spoiling for a fight (so untrue) with these types of books, I look for that kind of thing all of the time and I really appreciate it's absence in his book. Not to mention actually being able to relate with the descriptions he puts down! It somehow figures that a book written with developmental patterns in children and how they may manifest as one grows up would be the one I like the best.

So yea, it's an all-purpose instruction manual, but it's well done for it's kind and I really liked the way he describes what children with different elemental/modal emphases would be like in the beginning of the book.
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversong View Post
It might have been featured in an earlier list, but I wanted to make a rec for Robert Hand's "Planets in Youth".

Even though it's technically a 'cookbook' (I prefer to call them "all-purpose instruction manuals" because its funnier) he still actually tries to speak to the way people might experience and express different placements and aspects, rather than just saying "this is you- and here's what I have to say about that".

As someone with a Mercury-Mars square who is often preemptively accused of being verbally aggressive or spoiling for a fight (so untrue) with these types of books, I look for that kind of thing all of the time and I really appreciate it's absence in his book. Not to mention actually being able to relate with the descriptions he puts down! It somehow figures that a book written with developmental patterns in children and how they may manifest as one grows up would be the one I like the best.

So yea, it's an all-purpose instruction manual, but it's well done for it's kind and I really liked the way he describes what children with different elemental/modal emphases would be like in the beginning of the book.
I think Hand's book is very useful for beginners who are trying to get an organized general feel for the interpretation of aspects. I read it early on and liked it a lot.

Good choice!

Best,
Ilene

Last edited by IleneK; 03-02-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Unread 02-01-2014, 05:25 AM

The Beginning of Wisdom, by Avraham Ibn-Ezra, translated and annotated by Meira B. Epstein, edited with additional annotations by Robert Hand

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Wisd...ira+B.+Epstein

The Book of Nativities and Revolutions by Rabbi Avraham Ibn Ezra edited from Hebrew Manuscripts translated and annotated by Meira B. Epstein edited with additional annotations from the Latin translation by Robert Hand

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Nativitie...ira+B.+Epstein

Review of this book by Skyscript:
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/rev_epstein.html
Houlding had written some very positive comments about this book.

Two of my very best collections so far!

I am also trying to get a copy of The Book of Reasons
Review: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/rev_ezra.html

Amazon doesn't have any copy of The Book of Reasons, but you can try this site: http://bear-star.com/books.htm
Unread 03-01-2014, 11:09 PM

Can you advice the best books on Vocational Astrology?

Thank you

Tags
astrology, book, recommendations