Should I take the cash settlement?

Osamenor

Staff member
Backstory: over a year ago, I received a letter from a company called Complyright saying they had a data breach that could've compromised my information. I've never had any dealings with them directly, and had never even heard of them until I received that letter, but according to the letter, my information had been entered into their system by an employer. Complyright is apparently a company that manages payroll and HR sorts of things. I asked my most recent and reachable employers if they used that company, and all of them said no.

This year, I received another letter saying they'd reached a legal settlement and would compensate all affected people, of which I am one. They're offering three options: a small cash payment, or a credit protection plan, or "Up to $200 reimbursement of certain expenses." I'm not sure which one I should take, but the deadline for filing a claim form is fast approaching.

Obviously, cash would be of the most immediate use. But credit protection might be important, too, and could be ultimately even more important--however, it's not clear to me if the credit protection plan they're offering would do anything more than ordinary credit monitoring. I have not, as far as I know, been a victim of identity theft (and if I were, tracing it to this breach might be impossible).

So, which one should I take? I phrased this question as "Should I take the cash settlement?" because that's the option that feels the most real to me. If the horary says a solid yes, I'll go for that, and if it's a no or a lukewarm answer, I'll look more closely at the other options.

In the chart, I'm Jupiter, domiciled right on the ascendant. Only aspect with a traditional planet is an applying sextile from Sun. Leo is intercepted, so Sun technically doesn't rule a house in this chart, but it would rule the ninth if we went by whole sign. I'm not sure how to interpret that. And I'm not sure which house to use for the quesited. Ninth, because this is a legal matter? Second, because this is money? Eighth, because this is other people's money? All of the above, or something else?

Attachments

• horary_should_i_take_the_cash_settlement.71813.117795.jpg
    horary_should_i_take_the_cash_settlement.71813.117795.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
No update. I can't interpret this chart all on my own, haven't received any help from anyone who can, and there's no way I can find an answer to this question through mundane means. So, I really need some horary help here!

Even just helping me figure out which house to use for the subject of my question would be great. When I try to research that, I just get confused.

kalinka

Ok I will try to judge the chart tomorrow. :) However could you perhaps cast a chart with the question: Should I choose a or b (or c?) That's in fact sometimes easier to answer such a question.

kalinka

If You will get cash from that company, then we have to look at the 7th house and their money (8th) The legal settlement is the 4th house because it's the verdict, "the end of that matter" (according to Frawley). So I would look at the 4th and the 8th house. However I tend to only look to the 8th house. Then option a (cash settlement) is signified by the 8th, option b the 9th and option c the 10th house. According to Bonatti we can take the triplicity rulers of the 8th house ruler (the 1st triplicity ruler signifies a, 2nd triplicity ruler b and so on).

Last edited:

waybread

I think we're looking at an 8th house matter, whether as "shared resources" or proceeds from litigation (2nd from the 7th.) The other party is ruled by Mercury; and the 8th house, by the moon. Then your own money is the 2nd house ruled by Saturn. Mercury is the traditional ruler of money (not Venus.)

The moon is just a hair past its trine with Venus, to be followed by a trine with Mercury. The moon is in Jupiter's (your) traditional sign. Then Mercury's own next aspect is a sextile with your domiciled Saturn.

This all looks promising, but with Saturn ruling your own house of money-- domiciled and in the first house-- I don't think you could go wrong by taking the cash.

kalinka

Yes I agree with waybread. I think the 8th house is the right house for the cash settlement. Since we look at the dignities of Jupiter, we can deduce from it. He is in the detriment of Mercury. Mercury is the company you are dealing with. Jupiter also receives Saturn (your money) by term, moon by face and sun by triplicity. Moon is the money from the 7th as we know and sun is the second significator for that cash settlement. When a sign is intercepted in a house, I use the ruler of that sign as secondary significator.
For me, Moon in Jupiter's rulership is enough as indication to tell that it will be the right decision by taking the cash settlement. Jupiter is in applying aspects to the sun and mars (end of that matter) by sextile, which means it will go well for you. After moon aspect Mercury by trine, she then make a sextile to your bank account(Saturn) and at last to Jupiter by square. Overall it looks very promising and whatever your decision will be, it will end well.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Thank you, waybread and kalinka! :love:

I now have a question about this:

Moon is the money from the 7th as we know and sun is the second significator for that cash settlement. When a sign is intercepted in a house, I use the ruler of that sign as secondary significator.

Makes sense to use the ruler of the intercepted sign as a secondary house ruler. Do you make anything of the sun being in Libra? That's its detriment, which could mean weaker--I think?--but if I'm not mistaken, Libra also has an association with law (or does it in traditional astrology)?

And another thing I'm wondering about: what does it mean in horary when the querent's significator is right smack on the AC? I would think it's a position of extra strength, but I'm not entirely sure.

Osamenor

Staff member
I would think 2nd from the 7th or 2nd from the 9th. Either way two of your options represent some kind of financial settlement from arbitration or a legal matter, and the credit monitoring service would be represented by something else more complicated.

I think we've agreed on 8th--2nd from 7th.

What do you think would represent the credit monitoring service?

waybread

Thanks, Osamenor--

I do a simplified system of traditional horary astrology, which possibly varies from other people's systems. It's not to say who's right and who isn't, though, because we can only know that in hindsight, not from the prediction.

I wouldn't use an intercepted sign ruler. To me, by definition, an intercepted sign does not form a house cusp.

One problem that comes up occasionally in horary as that our modern world has shades of meaning regarding topics that just wouldn't have come up in past centuries. We do our best, but it's possible that the 8th house just wouldn't distinguish between your options re: the settlement.

We can really go down a rabbit hole trying to put modern meanings on traditional systems. I would view data as a 3rd house matter, money proceeding from data as a 4th house matter, and so on and so forth. I think the KISS model (keep it simple, sweetheart) has merit. Ideally the chart tells a story, and that story can provide clues as to which house we should use for which topic.

Your moon is in the 2nd house of your funds, although many would count it as in the third house. I think this tells a story: that your feelings are "on the cusp" of two different choices. With an angular domiciled Saturn ruling your second house of money, and the ruler of the third house (Jupiter) also being angular and domiciled, you seem to be in a good position either way.

I do look at the trans-Saturnians and Chiron as supplementary data points where they seem pertinent. Neptune suggests some lack of clarity as to what you'd be getting with the data protection option.

In horary, we would first look at the relevant houses. The scales of Libra anciently meant fair weights and measures, as scales were used in the markets to weigh produce and goods. The 7th house rules litigation and the 8th rules the law as an object of higher learning.

Your significator Jupiter is strengthened by being domiciled and on the AC. In negotations with another party, you're in a strong position. [If their significator is in your first house, then they are "in your court."

kalinka

Traditional astrologers don't use an intercepted sign ruler. It's a modern technique, which workes for me, that's why I use it. Sun is in his own fall and moon is peregrine, that indicates that the cash amount isn't that big - like you could get more out. However moon and sun are in good mixed mutual receptions with jupiter. You will be fine with it.

kalinka

Do we still have to find out what the significator's for the other options are? There are only mercury, venus, mars and saturn left over. We assume that 2 of these planets could be the significators. Mercury, venus and mars are in worse dignities and recpetions with jupiter than moon and sun. Only saturn is strong and in mutual reception with jupiter by term. However Saturn is still your second house ruler. Therefore for me it's not so necessary anymore to find out what the second and third options could be signified by. If it's really the moon and also sun, which represent the cash settlement then it's sufficient to know that they are in good receptions with Jupiter. But that's only my opinion...

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Amazing how accurate horary is! This...

Neptune suggests some lack of clarity as to what you'd be getting with the data protection option.
...is absolutely correct. It's not at all clear to me what I'd get from the data protection plan. Cash, I understand. The explanation of the data protection plan was so vague, I can't be sure how or even if it would benefit me. But, my main reason for casting this horary was wondering if I would at some point regret taking cash instead of data protection, in case there was something I missed about this data protection plan.

Your significator Jupiter is strengthened by being domiciled and on the AC. In negotations with another party, you're in a strong position. [If their significator is in your first house, then they are "in your court."
That's what I thought.
Sun is in his own fall and moon is peregrine, that indicates that the cash amount isn't that big - like you could get more out.
Also correct. The amount they said the settlement would likely be is very small. But I'm not negotiating with them. I've never even dealt directly with them aside from receiving these letters. So, if they give me cash, I take what they give.

However moon and sun are in good mixed mutual receptions with jupiter. You will be fine with it.

That's what I wanted to know! :smile:

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Do we still have to find out what the significator's for the other options are?
Only for learning purposes. And it's not a "have to," it's a "get to," if you want to join me in it. I am curious. My question has been answered, but since this is a learning forum, and I would like to know a little more about horary, why not figure it out.

Waybread mentioned data in the third house. I suppose data protection could be third? But then it would have the same significator as myself.

Or does this chart not say anything about the other options? It seems to be a strong yes in favor of the cash settlement. Maybe other options would show more if it were a no or an iffy answer regarding the cash.

Last edited:

kalinka

Yes I totally agree with you :) Just wanted to say that the question should be answered without searching the right houses for the other options.

waybread

Credit monitoring is a euphemism for “identity theft monitoring.” Therefore it becomes complicated. Who are you? Are you what you appear physically? Or what you appear to systems?
I don’t look at it as data, exactly. Everything is data now.
You could use the radix first house if you equate “identity” with your own identity. If you look at it as more a reputational issue perhaps you’d go with the tenth house. Alternatively if you look at it as a monetary settlement from the arbitration / judgment you could use the relevant triplicity ruler from the 8th house depending on how the options were ordered in your mind.

Good points.

I was thinking "data" in the sense of information. We'll use the first house for the querent, anyway; but it's an interesting twist when we consider "identity" in the context of identity theft.

Osamenor

Staff member
Credit monitoring is a euphemism for “identity theft monitoring.” Therefore it becomes complicated. Who are you? Are you what you appear physically? Or what you appear to systems?
I don’t look at it as data, exactly. Everything is data now.
You could use the radix first house if you equate “identity” with your own identity. If you look at it as more a reputational issue perhaps you’d go with the tenth house. Alternatively if you look at it as a monetary settlement from the arbitration / judgment you could use the relevant triplicity ruler from the 8th house depending on how the options were ordered in your mind.

Good points.

I was thinking "data" in the sense of information. We'll use the first house for the querent, anyway; but it's an interesting twist when we consider "identity" in the context of identity theft.
Makes sense, then, that my significator is the same as the data's.

Given how strong this shared significator is, my guess is that my personal data probably isn't compromised, any more than it already was, due to this breach. Also because so many factors point to yes, take the cash settlement.

That doesn't necessarily mean I'm not a victim of identity theft, but if I am, it's looking not so likely that it has anything to do with this company and their data breach. And I have no reason to believe I am, other than the fact that my identifying information is as available in cyberspace as anyone else's--due to bank accounts and employers and having a driver's license and being registered to vote and everything else people typically have--and no place that data is stored can be 100% immune to breaches.

Opal

Premium Member
Hi Osamenor,

I haven't looked at the chart. I haven't read others responses.

I am speaking of my gut feeling when I read your first post.

I don't trust them. Do you have any proof that you have been compromised, or are they phishing?

Scorpio rising speaking, take care my friend. Opal

Aria Venue

Dear Osamenor
i just read your post and i was trying to understand what was your relationship with that company in the first place.

So if i got it right, you were one of the individuals whose personal information was maintained on ComplyRight’s website during the data breach that occurred at least between April 20, 2018 and May 22, 2018.

This data breach at ComplyRight, may have affected 662,000 people, according to a state agency. It has also prompted a lawsuit, which was filed in federal court by a person who was notified that their personal data was breached.

After several mediation sessions, the plaintiffs reached a settlement agreement with ComplyRight in April 2019. ComplyRight agreed to pay $3.025 million to establish a settlement fund and resolve the claims. ComplyRight has not admitted any wrongdoing by settling the case against them. Instead, the settlement provides a resolution for all parties while avoiding the costs and risks of continued litigation.

There are three compensation options available under the settlement. Class Members can choose from:
  1. A two year protection plan through MyIDCare that includes credit monitoring, credit monitoring protection, dark web monitoring, fully managed recovery, $1,000,0000 insurance coverage for reimbursement of data breach-related losses, lost wallet assistance, and 24-hour customer service. More details regarding the protection plan are available at MyIDCare.com.
  2. A cash payment of around $50. Payment may be higher or lower depending on the number of claims filed and the net settlement fund after costs and fees are paid.
  3. Up to $200 in expense reimbursement. Documented time will be compensated at $15 an hour for up to 3 hours ($45 total) and other documented expenses (police reports, late charges, overdraft fees, etc.) will be reimbursed.
So let's go now to the chart..
either way you see it the verdict...or the settlement between both parties (you and ComplyRight) is already made.So this is mars.Is this compensation good to begin with?
no its not because mars in his detriment in libra in venus domicile and saturn's exaltation.so its not a good compensation because mars in his debilities and not in his dignitiesAccidentally also is cadent.So its a poor compensation.Moreover mars is also under the beams of sun.That tells us at least, that some things were hidden from Complyright since sun blurs mars...so some things remained vague during the mediation sessions among the plaintiffs.remember also that sun in his fall in libra while sun intercepted inside l8...though interception as a term is not used in horary!!!!
Keep in mind that in a court case l2=is your lawyer while l8=is your opponent's lawyer.
So in this chart we may see also that your lawyer ...the one which represented you and all the other people in this lawsuit against them was stronger than their lawyer , l8=moon.
So, your lawyer succeded to make a settlement with them, because saturn exalts mars, but on the same time saturn on jupiter's fall and moon's detriment.Saturn is also your pocket, while this peregrine moon is your opponent's pocket respectively.
So now that the settlement is over you are undecided what to choose from basically the two aforementioned options that this settlement gives you...i regard the third too much complicated and it will require a lot of papers in order to reach up to $200 in expense reimbursement.
So is it mercury or venus...both ruled by mars.

As we may see venus in her detriment , so essentially debilitated though accidentally angular debility.
mercury on the other hand essentially is peregrine.neither in his debilities nor his dignities and accidentally succedent.at least he is better-stronger than venus.Moreoever he is in Jupiter's term.

You on the other hand as a strong dignified jupiter you are in sun's triplicity and jupiter's term and detriment.So you dislike that mercury basically cause detriment is stronger than term of cource...but you think ok...at least this is better from nothing.

Moon in your question signifies also your feelings.And as i said previously this is a peregrine moon (a wanderer..).This moon in Jupiter's domicile (you) in venus exaltation and term, in mars triplicity and mercury's detriment and fall.So you have once more second thoughts whether you should go with venus (protection data)...while you hate that mercury.
All in all as i aforementioned basically the outcome-settlement=mars is bad..in his debility and the only think that can favor a bit is your pocket...mars in saturn's exaltation, triplicity and term.Venus is also in her debility and weak, though you may think it might be better.

mercury(money natural sig) here as moon are the only planets that at least not in their debilities...but still peregrine...50$
Even without splitting hairs and making all the aforementioned distinctions whether mercury is the cash, or moon as l8 , or if venus is the data protection...or mars either as triplicity ruler etc, or analyzing the situation here between the two parties(you, complyright, lawyers etc..., which is basically irrelevant to your question )... still i would have gone with cash either mercury or moon because they are not essentially debilitated as the rest...just peregrine
So if i were you i would have taken at least these 50$

Aside horary please have a look at the data protection plan.Do you need something like that to begin with?Can you trust ComplyRight to choose a website/MyIDCare that provides credit monitoring, credit monitoring protection, dark web monitoring...etc ,..since they had this data breach themselves? i really don't know...either way all this thing seems to me vague.

Personally i think this whole agreement gave the chance to ComplyRight to avoid further costs and not to lose clients also...and that way make everyone happy with the minimum cost.**notice also in the chart that moon which as i said is also from their side their pocket and their lawyers tries to settle things with jupiter (their opponents in the lawsuit), while mercury which in this instance is l7=complyright also wants this verdict/settlement , result=mars.

Last but not least keep in mind that horary is a tool to help you take decisions...not to take decisions for you!!!!and your question was :"should i do that".So should and would questions must be read always upon the specific context as every chart in general.The context is the king!!!
have a nice day:smile:

Last edited: