Life purpose in natal chart

VirgoMoon

Hi everyone :smile: I hope someone could give me some advice. The main reason that I’m using astrology is to get a better understanding of myself. I’m primarily interested in interpreting my natal chart and not so much in foreseeing the future. At this moment I’m looking into my ‘life purpose’ but I’m getting stuck. Past few weeks I studied the nodes, mc, and the placement of the sun in my natal chart. But to be honest I don’t really know where to start because of all the info and the blogs on the internet. Anyone a suggestion for a book, website, workshop etc?

JUPITERASC

Hi everyone :smile: I hope someone could give me some advice.
The main reason that I’m using astrology is
to get a better understanding of myself.
I’m primarily interested in interpreting my natal chart
and not so much in foreseeing the future.

At this moment I’m looking into my ‘life purpose’

but I’m getting stuck. Past few weeks I studied the nodes, mc,
and the placement of the sun in my natal chart.

But to be honest I don’t really know where to start

because of all the info and the blogs on the internet.
Anyone a suggestion for a book, website, workshop etc?
OMNISPHERICUS practical and useful tips on the topic :smile:

at https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=382268&postcount=8

4. The Elemental Quality of the Sign of the Ascendant
is showing the type of Primary Motivation
of the native.

Fire goes for freedom of action and power.
Air goes for freedom of expression and movement.
The Water signs need emotional security
Earth signs need physical security

The person with masculine Ascendant (or majority of planets in masculine signs) speaks in active terms: "I did this to that person".
The person with feminine sign on Ascendant or majority planets in feminine signs, speaks in passive terms: "This happened to me".

The Feminine signs seek advice because they need second hand in their decisions, in fact they want someone else to make the decision for them.
Masculine signs seek advice because they have many options so they are not sure which option is better.

Cardinal signs are most active. Cardinal water and earth (Cancer and Capricorn) are working great amount of actions but in circumstances and environment structured already by someone else.
Libra and Aries (Cardinal masculine) are working great in any kind of circumstances.

Fixed signs are centripetal, they need center. They are very successful in Acquisations.
Taurus hoards money.
Leo hoards glory and honor.
Scorpio hoards the hidden things, hidden motivations of other people, seek energy and vitality.
Aquarius hoards Knowledge.

Mutable signs vacillate between the two: cardinal and fixed.

5. Examine the planets
which most closely aspects the Ascendant.
These planets add to the whole Primary Motivation thing.

Planets aspecting the Ascendant represent powers the native can use in the world.

The aspecting planet's local determination will be added to the Primary
Motivation.
(Venus in 5th will add love for pleasure and entertainment to the native's Primary Motivation).

The aspect between the aspecting planet and the Ascendant tells you how the being of the planet and its local determination are linked.

6. The Ruler of the Ascendant by its house position
tells you where
(what area of life)
the native will seek to realize
his/her Primary Motivation.

Look also at all 5 dignity rulers in the place of the ASC. The Almuten and Exalted ruler are lamost as significant as the domicile ruler (sometimes even more).

The Ruler of the Ascendant (as well as the other rulers) by its nature and zodiacal state shows the methods the native will use and the success or failure of the drive.

This is great quote by Zoller:

Lets assume that a person has Cancer on the Ascendant,
The primary motivation of this person is the Need for Emotional Security.
The ruler/s of the Ascendant and their zodiacal and local state will determine How would this be achieved.

Lets assume Moon on IC in Libra Peregrine.
Jupiter in 6th (but 7th sign!) in Capricorn.
Venus in Sag in 6th - Peregrine.
Mars in Scorpio in 4th (but 5th sign!)
Saturn (term ruler) is in 5th Scorpio Peregrine.

We can see that Moon is strong by accident (being on angle), so we can judge first from there.
The need for Emotional Security this person would seek in the home, in the place of the father. The father would be the means through which this person would try to achieve the Emotional Security.
Jupiter - the exalted ruler is weak by being cadent, Venus too. They can't produce much in giving the emotional security this person seeks.
Jupiter by universal means suggest that the native would seek wisdom, religion (and the person actually did!) but by being cadent and in fall, it can't productively give what it promise.
Mars is in 4/5th and is strong by zodiacal state, but is out of sect malefic.
It would try to win competitions, but also with Saturn in 5th will give great deal of creativity. Mars rules the 10th - creativity and looking for career, would also give some amount of emotional security for this person. But by being square with Sun in 7th it means that it will have opposition from authorities and other people in general.

The primary motivation is great deal of what we unconsciously and often consciously seek for. Once that motivation is broken or someone interrupt it, we seek to fix that in the every possible way we can do that.

I will continue with the tips in my next post.

leomoon

Hi everyone :smile: I hope someone could give me some advice. The main reason that I’m using astrology is to get a better understanding of myself. I’m primarily interested in interpreting my natal chart and not so much in foreseeing the future. At this moment I’m looking into my ‘life purpose’ but I’m getting stuck. Past few weeks I studied the nodes, mc, and the placement of the sun in my natal chart. But to be honest I don’t really know where to start because of all the info and the blogs on the internet. Anyone a suggestion for a book, website, workshop etc?

I'd say the nodes are very important as is Saturn and certainly Jupiter, the spiritual planet.

Then you might want to post your chart if you so wish and others may help you interpret...There are many and varied ways of interpreting the natal charts. Not everyone's path finds favor with the other.

I didn't learn until rather late that the natal chart is impelled by the mother who carried us, and we likewise, will "feel" the aspects and progressions in life because of being carried in the womb. I suppose this is because just like vitamins, drugs or anything taken into the system by the mother, so too her emotions while we are in the fetal state will become part and parcel of our own.

Its not a well known way to check the chart, but I find a lot of use for it personally, as it answered questions for me. Yet we still have to learn our OWN lessons which aren't necessarily at all our mother's or father's lessons as each is their own soul. There is interconnection however, yet another school of thought and book by Eric Sullivan called the Astrology of Family Dynamics.

This is the one which intrigued me to look at the charts in a whole different way:

http://www.atmann.net/tma.htm

Then there is the incorporating of Pre-natal Eclipses and they are included in this book - Spiritual Astrology by Spiller & McCoy.

Its a wide subject, Astrology and more then a lifetime of learning and still after 6 decades on earth, you are still learning -

Most of these books should be available in used condition and relatively inexpensive.

[Deleted self promotion from this post. Advertising your product or service in your posts is NOT allowed outside of the Advertising forum. You may have a link in your signature, and you may include a description of the product or service with the link, but you may not self promote in the body of a post if it is not on the Advertising board. - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Osamenor

Staff member
VirgoMoon,

What does "life purpose" mean to you?

I second leomoon's suggestion that you post your chart and ask for help. Since you've already made some effort at discovering this yourself, you can mention what parts of the chart you've been studying, what conclusions you've drawn, and ask questions from there.

Really, you could spend a lifetime learning this. You don't have to stop at just one topic. When I first joined this forum, I posted several topics about questions that studying my chart had raised for me.

Assuming that by "life purpose" you mean what I think you mean, there isn't any one formula to determine your life purpose, but every chart has certain themes. Those themes emerge in a comprehensive reading. But it's usually easier for people who are not you to see those themes, and it's overwhelming to even try when you're a beginner... as you've found!

waybread

I don't think the stars hand down a life purpose from on high.

Each of us has to create that purpose for ourselves.

A horoscope indicates assets and impediments along the journey of life. It can show what you'd be good at, and where struggles are likely to occur.

VirgoMoon

I'd say the nodes are very important as is Saturn and certainly Jupiter, the spiritual planet.

Then you might want to post your chart if you so wish and others may help you interpret...There are many and varied ways of interpreting the natal charts. Not everyone's path finds favor with the other.

I didn't learn until rather late that the natal chart is impelled by the mother who carried us, and we likewise, will "feel" the aspects and progressions in life because of being carried in the womb. I suppose this is because just like vitamins, drugs or anything taken into the system by the mother, so too her emotions while we are in the fetal state will become part and parcel of our own.

Its not a well known way to check the chart, but I find a lot of use for it personally, as it answered questions for me. Yet we still have to learn our OWN lessons which aren't necessarily at all our mother's or father's lessons as each is their own soul. There is interconnection however, yet another school of thought and book by Eric Sullivan called the Astrology of Family Dynamics.

This is the one which intrigued me to look at the charts in a whole different way:

http://www.atmann.net/tma.htm

Then there is the incorporating of Pre-natal Eclipses and they are included in this book - Spiritual Astrology by Spiller & McCoy.

Its a wide subject, Astrology and more then a lifetime of learning and still after 6 decades on earth, you are still learning -

Most of these books should be available in used condition and relatively inexpensive.

[Deleted self promotion from this post. Advertising your product or service in your posts is NOT allowed outside of the Advertising forum. You may have a link in your signature, and you may include a description of the product or service with the link, but you may not self promote in the body of a post if it is not on the Advertising board. - Moderator]

<div> Thanks! These tips are very helpful, appreciate it!

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
Life Direction in natal chart

VirgoMoon,

While "Life Purpose" can be a combination of things in the chart, "Life Direction" CAN be seen in the nodes. The life direction moves FROM the south node :southnode: TO the north node :northnode:. So, in your case, it moves FROM the Self-Expression House (5th House) TO the Friends House (11th House). This suggests moving FROM needing to be the center of attention TO the need to decide WHO most DESERVES your attention. The 11th house is associated with Aquarius, the Water Bearer, who decides who gets and who does NOT get the water Aquarius offers. If this does NOT sound right to you, look at what houses the nodes fall into using different house systems and see which you "connect with".

Nodally,

Tim

VirgoMoon

Re: Life Direction in natal chart

VirgoMoon,

While "Life Purpose" can be a combination of things in the chart, "Life Direction" CAN be seen in the nodes. The life direction moves FROM the south node :southnode: TO the north node :northnode:. So, in your case, it moves FROM the Self-Expression House (5th House) TO the Friends House (11th House). This suggests moving FROM needing to be the center of attention TO the need to decide WHO most DESERVES your attention. The 11th house is associated with Aquarius, the Water Bearer, who decides who gets and who does NOT get the water Aquarius offers. If this does NOT sound right to you, look at what houses the nodes fall into using different house systems and see which you "connect with".

Nodally,

Tim

Thanks Tim, This sounds very right! In placidus my north and south node are in the same houses, but my sun is in the 9th house, while in this chart it is in the 8th.

Last edited:

leomoon

This is my chart. The house system I use is whole sign. But if placidus or another house system is preferred please let me know.

The placement of the nodes make a lot of sense to me. Because of some obstacles in my life a few years ago I had to get to know myself better. I feel like another person, that's a good thing. Meanwhile my life went on. I have a good career, earn good money. Nothing to complain, but after 'my change' I don't get energy from what I'm doing. I was hoping to find some clues in my chart. I'm well aware that I'm interpreting this to easily. So, I was curious if the nodes indeed suggest a big shift together with for example a square from saturn to my sun? I learned that this square can be a tough teacher in life until you mature a bit.

Virgo Moon:
You have a formation called a YOD which is formed with 3 planets – Mars-Jupiter-Moon
It’s a common enough formation – but you can look it up for insight online.
I would appreciate knowing your unequal houses, (Placidius), because the Mann method requires this to read properly. There is certainly nothing wrong with an equal house chart for sure, but this is just a requirement for Mann’s method I linked to having to do with space & time.
IF your placidius houses (unequal and the default usually of astro.com charts) puts Pisces on the cusp of the 9th house, then this tells me (I have Pisces here myself) that spiritual things are extremely important to y our philosophy in life. The sign if ruled by Jupiter the highest of the benefic planets – and the spiritual one.(imo)
Unlike Waybread, I don’t agree that the chart is not connected with the spiritual life. Actually, I believe the natal charts are part and parcel and cannot be ignored as part of our spirit.
According to Edgar Cayce’s teachings, our past lives can be seen by the Tropical natal charts and the Sidereal chart gives us a glimpse of the “inter-between times”
(I purposefully didn’t say “inter-between life” because although I don’t believe the other side of this life (the inter-between) is any less a LIFE then this one here on this plane is. But for sake of arguments started, I will use “time in between” meaning, after you leave here you will then “go” (for lack of a better term”, where you earned your overall lot to continue being taught and coordinate that which you just left with what you left behind when you came here this time.
Perhaps it will be to a Mercury type of environment (not Mercury the planet) but similar to what we think of when we try to put the vibrations of Mercury into some order in our minds. Perhaps it will be to Saturn or even to Mars ….
https://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/astrologicalmusings/2006/09/edgar-cayce-on-planetary-reinc.html
Again, unless I know the cusps which are unequal, I cannot use the Mann theory here.

Realize TOO that your Sun Sign, indicator of personality on the phsyical plane, is opposite that of Pisces which also should tell you something about your soul's purpose. :love:

leomoon

Thanks for the unequal chart - :love:
I don’t know your current age, but the planets (from the 3rd house when you were a child up until now, (going counterclockwise from the 3rd house)
Likely were triggered with a life event. The Moon of course depicts your mother and at 0 degrees Virgo, seems somehow to me to be depleted in energy with the square to Saturn and quincunx Mars & Jupiter. Was mother sick a lot as you were growing up? Her life doesn’t seem to have been an easy one, with Saturn ruling the house of conception (your conception the 9th) and Saturn in the 5th of children, love affairs and/or recreation appears once again, “depleted” somehow because of it’s opposition to Algol. Did mother get herself involved in some affairs of the heart? Your father (the Sun) appears in the conception house, and in Aquarius, ruled by Saturn. The Sun is square this house ruler, Saturn. And the semi-squares to the Sun seem to me to suggest issues or troubles for him too especially, the Sun semi-square to Pluto.

What is called the pre-conception house or 8th of inheritances – you have Jupiter in the critical 29th degree of the sign (critical because it’s the last degree of a sign) and in Capricorn- the sign of it’s fall.
Since Jupiter is also a part of the 3 planet Yod, its important for you to study up on the Yod, because during your life when these planets are triggered by transits and progressions you would want to become aware of it.
Since your MC is Pisces, I’d think that overall, these harsher placements of planets in the chart are attempting to raise awareness of the spiritual development (the MC) and it may be through the tougher times when you gain the most in that regard.

IF you don’t mind my asking, can you tell me what year you are currently in, i.e. your Age? All lives are meaningful of course, but yours in particular appears to me to be taking a giant leap in understanding, but can see yet tough times ahead all towards this goal.

https://www.tarot.com/astrology/planets/saturn-in-scorpio

leomoon

Thanks for the feedback, all astrologers appreciate that because it helps us correct and hone our skills.

Ref:
life pushes me to the core of my soul, it was never my own choice. My age is 35
[FONT=&quot]Using the Tad Mann method, I see then at about age 4 your life changed (5th house was activated) and the Yod was triggered internally… Try and think back to around this age to muse over what that might have been, what type of experience you had. Perhaps you were too young to recall, except if you had moved locations, but its not the 4th of foundation, but the 5th where Pluto resides. Around ages 11-12, that very negative vibe of Saturn opposed to fixed star Algol was activated with the natal Sun & Moon being square at birth. Perhaps your parents came to a separation around this time or some other life altering events occurred inside of you. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Around age 13-14, Uranus would have been activated, and Uranus (to me) usually signified, both the unexpected things that happen, and separations. How you may have been affected, is a double edged sword because your natal Uranus is sextile the Sun (remember, the Sun being father or male figure) …so it may have involved him somehow at this age.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m going to skip ahead to your current age, found in your 8th house and activating your natal Mercury ruler of your Sun.Note that Jupiter the spiritual planet is closely conjunct Mercury. This is why you are taking such an interest now at this time. If you examine your Mercury you will see the many positive harmonious aspects to this planet. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Your logic and intuition (Cancer Rising) seem to be operating in your favor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BTW: Your house cusps are the same as mine. Welcome to the Cancer (always “feeling or emoting?” :) Rising club [/FONT]

Note: IF any of this sounds about right to you, then you can see easily how the Universe is unfolding, (our personal experiences with the Universe) right before your eyes. :surprised::innocent:
Note: Since you said your father has never been in your life or not much, then perhaps you can substitute the Sun for another "male" figure....that may have either come into the life or left the life.

Last edited:

VirgoMoon

Thanks for the feedback, all astrologers appreciate that because it helps us correct and hone our skills.

Ref:
[FONT=&quot]Using the Tad Mann method, I see then at about age 4 your life changed (5th house was activated) and the Yod was triggered internally… Try and think back to around this age to muse over what that might have been, what type of experience you had. Perhaps you were too young to recall, except if you had moved locations, but its not the 4th of foundation, but the 5th where Pluto resides. Around ages 11-12, that very negative vibe of Saturn opposed to fixed star Algol was activated with the natal Sun & Moon being square at birth. Perhaps your parents came to a separation around this time or some other life altering events occurred inside of you. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Around age 13-14, Uranus would have been activated, and Uranus (to me) usually signified, both the unexpected things that happen, and separations. How you may have been affected, is a double edged sword because your natal Uranus is sextile the Sun (remember, the Sun being father or male figure) …so it may have involved him somehow at this age.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m going to skip ahead to your current age, found in your 8th house and activating your natal Mercury ruler of your Sun.Note that Jupiter the spiritual planet is closely conjunct Mercury. This is why you are taking such an interest now at this time. If you examine your Mercury you will see the many positive harmonious aspects to this planet. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Your logic and intuition (Cancer Rising) seem to be operating in your favor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BTW: Your house cusps are the same as mine. Welcome to the Cancer (always “feeling or emoting?” :) Rising club [/FONT]

Note: IF any of this sounds about right to you, then you can see easily how the Universe is unfolding, (our personal experiences with the Universe) right before your eyes. :surprised::innocent:
Note: Since you said your father has never been in your life or not much, then perhaps you can substitute the Sun for another "male" figure....that may have either come into the life or left the life.

Thank you!!! Very interesting :) I'm now trying to learn more about the yod. 'The finger of god' sounds intense ;) Thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited:

leomoon

I found this link:

It has a video showing the Yod and explaining it further:

https://www.yourtango.com/2019328482/astrology-definition-yod-zodiac-sign-natal-chart

From the Video - it really helps us to understand and put into perspective the planets & signs involved:

In astrology, a Yod indicates a person or event that has strong, powerful, and mystical forces.

4. What are the negatives to a Yod?

But, a Yod can also indicate stress, anxiety, uneasiness, and restlessness, along with a feeling of being lost, depressed, complete despair, stuck, and hopelessness.
You may even feel uneasy, very stressed and restless, with the possibility of becoming irrational about your obsessions.
It also indicates that you can work through difficult situations with care and negotiation.

a Yod brings with it great potential, increased awareness of yourself and of your surroundings, and the Yod opens the doors for possible spiritual evolution.When a Yod appears, it means that something that has been hidden from you or that you are keeping hidden from someone else will come to light.

One of these aspects indicates that there is a special purpose for your life.
If you have a Yod, you are on a spiritual mission. If you're a couple, (and together your charts form a Yod) your relationship has a purpose to bring about the best in you and the other person.
7. Why has my life been difficult if I was born with a Yod in my chart?

There is a phenomenon that happens called the Boomerang or a Focused Yod, which is when there is a planet opposite the apex of the triangle.
Because of this interruption of the triangle, it means that you may have had difficulties or problems, but these difficult situations are going to turn around.

Last edited:

leomoon

Watching the video on the link, helped me (graphically) to understand that what I've believed and "felt" (more importantly), all along, is that my mission in life I've chosen on a subconscious plane of spirituality, is enhanced by this Yod, helping me along:

Uranus - the loss of everything I've ever treasured in life i.e. family

Pluto - total upheaval/change/transformation

The focus point of my Yod: Sun/Mars both in 6th hs.(combust) within one degree or less) of active service ruled by Jupiter (Sagittarius on cusp) and opposite the 12th house of inner sanctum or spiritual house.

In other words, the total and complete loss of those I loved so much, will help change me for the better spiritually.

Everyone's mission is different - But it appears your Yod will give you TOO a lot of information towards understanding what your's is!

Osamenor

Staff member
T Nothing to complain, but after 'my change' I don't get energy from what I'm doing.

Do you mean you used to get energy from your job and now you don't? Or do you mean you've lost interest in things (non-work or otherwise) that used to interest you?

If it's your job, what about it gave you energy before? How has that changed?

Basic needs can be seen in a chart. If progressions are added, we also see when and in what ways needs change. But sometimes the needs stay the same and the circumstances that were meeting those needs is what's changed.

VirgoMoon

VirgoMoon

Do you mean you used to get energy from your job and now you don't? Or do you mean you've lost interest in things (non-work or otherwise) that used to interest you?

If it's your job, what about it gave you energy before? How has that changed?

Basic needs can be seen in a chart. If progressions are added, we also see when and in what ways needs change. But sometimes the needs stay the same and the circumstances that were meeting those needs is what's changed.

Yes, I used to get a lot of energy from my career. It felt like it was my purpose and it gave me a lot of energy and opportunities. I was deeply interested, studied extra in my free time, took a lot of initiative. But when the upheaval started I felt drained by my job. I thought it was because of what was happening in my personal life but that's not the case. My life outside work is stable now and my relationships improved very much. But my career is still draining me. I do it to get money and that's it. I know it works that way for a lot of people and it doesn't have to be a bad thing. But for me personally its a huge contrast. Now I feel like I'm almost ready to retire hahah and I'm a bit too young for that ;) I feel a strong urge to start over abroad with a different career. This seems contrasting with my strong personal connections but I feel it very strongly, never had that before.

Last edited: